• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

'V'

Smash Lord
I think recoveries in general are really freaking good. They all need to be nerfed in some kind of fashion.

On a side note, aerial glide tossing with Peach to recover is hilariously fun when the situation arises. It rarely does, though. lol

D

Deleted member

I'm going to reference a match Taylor and Drinking food had at tha jumbo shrimp. Rob consistently lived up to 140% and higher. Rob is floaty and heavy. Dopes D3 lived a **** long time because of the same thing. Characters with tethers are generally lighter and die much sooner, spacies still get Edgeguarded easily, and there are still these things called combos.

That being said I can recall two instances where Taylor ken combo'd the **** out of drinking foods rob and rob lived because of his recovery. That's More Taylor's fault than rob being broken. Two things about robs recovery, when he's low he can't fake you out. He's going up/ forward. From that depth grabbing ledge = stock taken or ledge hop dair = stock taken.
Now compare this to light shielding Marths up b in melee for the free edgehog/ landing punish. If only like half the people at a tournament do it, is that reason enough to drop melee stocks to 3?
I completely understand it's about running smooth events, but if the two of the relevant problems are heavy characters living too long or missed edgeguards, it's not a problem at all
Dude lived til 150%-200% almost every stock. i killed him sub 150 probably 3 times in 4 games. i dont think anyone is claiming rob is broken, but me "ken combing" is more his fault than marth ******. ken combo doesnt exist with good DI. so those spikes should have never happened in the first place. and when you can up b twice and forward b with an attack and still reach the ledge; tell me i can edge guard you please.

light shielding vs marth in melee is completely irrelevant. only fast fallers beat him to the ledge, it is avoidable by marth, and if anything it speeds up the game by killing marth quicker. reducing PM stocks isnt about a character being broken, or a certain recovery tactic. its about the time it takes to kill characters. sure, all fast faller matches will still go fast. but brawl character games at higher levels are regularly going to 7 mins. even with only 1 brawl character in them. "missed edgegaurds" cant apply is a character cant be stopped.

D3 is heavy and floaty and has super armor on his recovery. you just can't stop that. you cant cover all the options. if you try to punish after he lands he just avoids that scenario. live til 150+ every stock. most combos are less effective because characters are living so much longer. in melee, its hard to combo past 70ish%. now with characters living well beyond that, it becomes more of a brawl style match about getting a hit and gaining stage advantage, thus prolonging the game.

i dont think certain characters are "broken," but i do think the creators hold a bias and make non melee characters and the characters that were in melee but bad, better than the old good melee characters. i dont care about this really. a game with 30 balanced characters isnt reasonable to me. but i feel like the stock amounts should reflect the average time for games based on how long these good characters are living. (fox still good, but doesnt live long. one of the exceptions to the general rule)

Last edited by a moderator:

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
I can see where you guys are coming from, but it feels like you guys are taking a pessimistic approach to it. In robs case his recovery is linear and easy to predict. Sure he can throw out hitboxes, but they trade with almost every aerial and he loses an up b so it's more or less an extended Edgeguard.
Also d3 not super armored on up-b. light armor but definitely not super. But mainly I don't wanna lose solar beam stocks

'V'

Smash Lord
So now not only do I have ways to play Melee, Brawl, and P:M on my EVO monitor with no lag, but I can also record/stream matches in high quality. Expect me to bring my setup to future events that I will attend.

'V'

Smash Lord
No, but I do have elgato game capture HD. I've been using it to stream my DuckTales Remastered speedruns up until messing around with it tonight. It works great with Melee on my Wii.

Awstin

Smash Rookie
So now not only do I have ways to play Melee, Brawl, and P:M on my EVO monitor with no lag, but I can also record/stream matches in high quality. Expect me to bring my setup to future events that I will attend.
Vaughan, you're coming to the tourney on the 12th, right?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Some of us don't have a posse of peeps to help us afford being able to roll out to everything in a 4 hour radius tho :/
So we just have to take every chance we get to go somewhere maybe every couple months and are at the mercy of the TOs

But yeah 18$ is pretty pricey, at least $10 of that is into the pot and 3 goes to a future prize pot.
Better than $10 venue fees that go entirely to the TOs and $10 entry fees that don't fully go into the pot...

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Some of us don't have a posse of peeps to help us afford being able to roll out to everything in a 4 hour radius tho :/
So we just have to take every chance we get to go somewhere maybe every couple months and are at the mercy of the TOs

But yeah 18$ is pretty pricey, at least $10 of that is into the pot and 3 goes to a future prize pot.
Better than $10 venue fees that go entirely to the TOs and $10 entry fees that don't fully go into the pot...
TOs don't keep money (except for Curlz LOL)

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
If I worked super hard to host a tournament in Alexandria, how many people would come?

This would be a bi-monthly thing. The main reason I want to establish a community is for myself. Lol but seriously I would be down to host it if it were for more than like 15 people

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I know there are a lot of brawl players in this thread so I wanted to know if anyone caught the 1 stock bo5 tourney on twitch today. If so what did you think? Would you be interested in entering a tournament with that ruleset?

ChKn

Smash Ace
I know there are a lot of brawl players in this thread so I wanted to know if anyone caught the 1 stock bo5 tourney on twitch today. If so what did you think? Would you be interested in entering a tournament with that ruleset?
If tripping was turned off , itd be a nice change of pace. Im running a tourney with 2 stocks, just to see how it will go.

D

Deleted member

Im confused
you requested someone host monthlies in you area. sudai explained that a person with interest wanted to attend such tournaments, maybe he would host them.

aka, start a tournament series. its not hard to be a TO (example: almost everyone in LA), its just hard to be a good one (example: almost everyone in la). but you will get the hang of it. its also not hard to find a free venue.small businesses like getting random people in there shop when all they have to do is let you use their space.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If I worked super hard to host a tournament in Alexandria, how many people would come?

This would be a bi-monthly thing. The main reason I want to establish a community is for myself. Lol but seriously I would be down to host it if it were for more than like 15 people
Well you know me and Andrew would be there
I'd wager we could get some Shreveport people too although I wouldn't want to speak for them.

Last edited:

Pritch

Smash Lord
Don't know if you have any interest in melee samsora (or transportation), but there's a lot of it happening in nola. We play pretty regularly over in the tulane area. More people are always welcome, and it'd be cool to not be the only peach in the area.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
you requested someone host monthlies in you area. sudai explained that a person with interest wanted to attend such tournaments, maybe he would host them.

aka, start a tournament series. its not hard to be a TO (example: almost everyone in LA), its just hard to be a good one (example: almost everyone in la). but you will get the hang of it. its also not hard to find a free venue.small businesses like getting random people in there shop when all they have to do is let you use their space.
@ Samsora Samsora And to add to this, there's plenty of us here with years of experience who are willing to give free advice to help you if need be.

Top Bottom