• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
LSUvBama game today- party with friends > Tyler. If it wasn't for that, I would have made that last minute trip. Sociallifejohns. :x

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
So I'm last minute deciding to go to whos tyler. If anyone (even you holden, if you were srs) wants to join me, I'm leaving my house at 6.

Nah I'm gonna pass, I'll be watching the LSU-Bama game. Sorry dude, good luck over there (even tho you don't really need it)

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Brian shut up. You still have a lot of work to do. And I still have to beat you in tournament fair and square. I mean, how often do you practice? That might be your problem.

BSP

Smash Legend
Er, no. I'm retiring, definitely. I'm going through a lot right now and competitive smash is the last thing I need to be doing. I wanted more from WHOBO, but that's done.

I had my brawl stats written down, but I deleted them and I don't have brawl anymore. I got Ladder Boss on AIB, so that alone should tell you how much time I put in the game. I think I had a month's worth of online time alone.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I haven't gotten where I need to be either, skill-wise, but that's my fault. We had a 39-man charity tournament today at this place I was helping out. It was pretty refreshing to see so many people enjoy themselves just playing Brawl, regardless of skill or experience in the game. I've been going through the motions the past few years, so for now, I'm just going to enjoy playing the game and enjoy life before it's too late. Maybe that's my new resolve for playing this game.

Hopefully, I did a good job of recruiting more people to play smash or join smashboards in general.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Er, no. I'm retiring, definitely. I'm going through a lot right now and competitive smash is the last thing I need to be doing. I wanted more from WHOBO, but that's done.

I had my brawl stats written down, but I deleted them and I don't have brawl anymore. I got Ladder Boss on AIB, so that alone should tell you how much time I put in the game. I think I had a month's worth of online time alone.
Just do what you need to do to get your life straight. Best of luck to you.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
It's WHOBO - a freaking national.Most of the top were there,and you are ashamed?There's no reason to throw in the towel although life does take our time.I sure would hate to lose LA's best Mario/Luigi.Wherever life takes you I hope it treats you well.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I feel better than ever about Brawl right now. I've came to the conclusion that I don't have a #1 main, and that I'm gonna surpass everyone in this state. The progress I keep seeing in myself makes me feel really confident and my current objective right now is to take first at Play N Trade. I wanna beat: JNig, BSP, Gunner, ChKn, and Curlz all in one day. I've been training really hard with BigMara to work on my tech skill, player skill, and composure. I tend to get too upset and forget the fact that at the very core of all this; we're just playing a game. Games are for fun, and there's no point in me playing if I'm not gonna have fun. I can't wait for play n trade.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just as a quick announcement, we're currently looking into establishing a venue for Smashcon, sorry about the delay. Taylor suggested we move the event to a hotel in BR. The idea looks like Erick has really taken to it, so in all probability, we are going to have Smashcon in BR for the winter. Wintercon will also be a one day event, I beleive I saw Erick say. I'll keep you guys posted, if not, Erick will.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Idk Ram, after how I did yesterday, I feel no one in LA can surpass me, so good luck with that. And you're not coming to Open World on the 16th?

BSP

Smash Legend
It's WHOBO - a freaking national.Most of the top were there,and you are ashamed?There's no reason to throw in the towel although life does take our time.I sure would hate to lose LA's best Mario/Luigi.Wherever life takes you I hope it treats you well.
I made a huge blog post about why I was ashamed. I main low tier and couldn't make top 3 against players not using their mains. I consider that shameful.

As for throwing in the towel, I have a hard time convincing myself that competitive gaming isn't one of, if not the biggest waste of time ever. For smash at least, most of us always lose $$$ when we travel, probably lose even if we place in the money, and then there's opportunity costs and such for everything dealing with the competitive side of the game. I just don't think it's beneficial.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
JNig you just wait. And I don't think I'll be going to open world. Only one tournament a month until I get a job.

Brian: If you haven't seen "The Smash Bros" documentary I highly suggest you do so. When Wife was looking back on everything he felt that it was all completely worth it due to the all the memories and friends he made. It's not a waste of time and money. If I was Leon or Justin I would be offended at the fact that you called the time you spent playing games with them a waste of time.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ramsaur has a point. I've heard a lot of people complain that competitive gaming isn't worth it only because they look at it from a purely financial point of view. YES, financially, if your not a Lee Martin or M2K, then it's not going to be profitable. However, it's something we all like to do, and paying a little money here and there at local/instate events, or even saving up for a huge trip out of state or the coutnry, it is very much worth it from a sentimental point of view. It's an experience that not everyone gets to do. It's something you can have fun with, meet people, make connections, and it opens up opportunities for so much more. That's why I love being a part ofthe smash community, it actually has given me a reason to travel (even though I've only been able to do it a couple of times). I don't regret any of it. It's been an overall, great experience. I can look back and say I had fun, I was living my life the way that made me happy.

Just take a break for a while if you need to BSP, come back when you're ready, you'll always be welcome. :)

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
You should never be in it just for the money. I don't even think M2K makes enough money from his sponsors to fully support himself.

Ken won all of those those tournaments and used the money from it to get to the next tournament. He said that they money they won from the last tournament was just enough to get them to the next one.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I feel better than ever about Brawl right now. I've came to the conclusion that I don't have a #1 main, and that I'm gonna surpass everyone in this state. The progress I keep seeing in myself makes me feel really confident and my current objective right now is to take first at Play N Trade. I wanna beat: JNig, BSP, Gunner, ChKn, and Curlz all in one day. I've been training really hard with BigMara to work on my tech skill, player skill, and composure. I tend to get too upset and forget the fact that at the very core of all this; we're just playing a game. Games are for fun, and there's no point in me playing if I'm not gonna have fun. I can't wait for play n trade.

Setting the benchmark really high I see.

Curlz

Smash Lord
after how I did yesterday, I feel no one in LA can surpass me, so good luck with that.
You better be talking about Los Angeles because you're on my hit list! If I can't take you on, how do I expect to do well at Apex? I'm getting my S-Game together these next couple of tournies and I'm taking you off your throne in Louisiana. Count on it!
#dethronethwario

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Dylan: That was when I had only gone to one tournament and was still playing Eman (aka poison: Practicing against Eman spoils me. He never takes me seriously and I play worse against other people if I get my practice off of him). I'm way different from then. I destroyed you the first two games, then you came back the next three and took it down to the wire. That was so long ago dude, I'm gonna destroy you next time we play.

ChKn: I only got to friendly you and we went to last stock
Curlz: I want to prove that your win was a fluke.

Also my new hack pack will be done probably tonight. It's a mix of my picked textures, Keitaro's music, and my picked and created sound effects. Teaser: Wario says," DOH I MISSED!" When he gets KOed. And if you like the sounds of Keitaro's hype then you'll love this. The Ramsaur Hack Pack! Coming soon ;)

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Also my new hack pack will be done probably tonight. It's a mix of my picked textures, Keitaro's music, and my picked and created sound effects. Teaser: Wario says," DOH I MISSED!" When he gets KOed. And if you like the sounds of Keitaro's hype then you'll love this. The Ramsaur Hack Pack! Coming soon ;)
Well damn, I'm hyped.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I need the sound files to do it. I'm currently adding Keitaro getting hype with the crowd getting hype while watching the Saints destroy the Cowgirls and Tony Homo's spirit.

If anyone knows of some good matches where Keitaro or D1 get's really hype please let me know. Right now I only have Zeton vs Razor and Tony T vs ANTi.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
No I got it. I just ignored it. I'm not wanting to beat you guys because it's a huge mountain I have to climb. I want to fight you because we went so close and I had a really fun time with it. That was probably the most fun match of the night since we were delaying Curlz and like screwing around. Like," Oh shoot you can do the grab release>Dair? Here show me." And I want to beat Curlz to prove him wrong.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I made a huge blog post about why I was ashamed. I main low tier and couldn't make top 3 against players not using their mains. I consider that shameful.

As for throwing in the towel, I have a hard time convincing myself that competitive gaming isn't one of, if not the biggest waste of time ever. For smash at least, most of us always lose $$$ when we travel, probably lose even if we place in the money, and then there's opportunity costs and such for everything dealing with the competitive side of the game. I just don't think it's beneficial.
Smash isn't about the money,it's about the people you meet and how you can be yourself bro.If this was all about money not many would play.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
January 25th (a Saturday)confirmed date for Wintercon. I'm calling the holiday inn in Baton Rouge tomorrow for more information on the venue as a backup Ohana has already confirmed us for the date. (The Slidell Venue)

I originally wanted a NOLA Regional. I think the name alone has power to bring more players to us but Baton Rouge has megabus now, an airport, and many housing opportunities.

I'll be working on the thread tonight. Everyone start planning for this event. I'm really looking forward to the pokemon x and y tournament this year. ;)

-Erick

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
The Ramsaur Hack Pack beta is finished! I'll have the link once it's done uploading
I can't wait to play it and play you again bro. As for the 3-2 comeback I adapted. I practice both melee and brawl more but I specifically worked on bowser for our grudge match. I had a bad habit of throwing out forward smashes that gave you the freest grab punish. Anyway it's all in good fun and this time I won't play shirtless and stanky to distract you. Also I would love to play JNig

BSP

Smash Legend
I just lost a long reply. I hate it when that happens...let me see if I can type it again...

Brian: If you haven't seen "The Smash Melee Bros" documentary I highly suggest you do so. When Wife was looking back on everything he felt that it was all completely worth it due to the all the memories and friends he made. It's not a waste of time and money.
Fixed for you, and I've already watched it.

Anyway, Wife is not me. Maybe I would feel the same way if I had the same experiences that he did with Smash, but then again, knowing me, I'd probably feel worse since that would mean I invested that much more into a game. We've all got our own values, goals, mindsets, and influences, and my combination of these has led me to believe that video games, including my competitive smash by extensions, are a waste. I still believe that nearly anything someone gains from playing a video game could be gained from another activity, with more benefits at that. I doubt everyone feels the same way as me, but that makes my chances of feeling like competitive smash was worth it sink.

Every time my mom would see me practicing Brawl, preparing to go to a tournament, or returning from one, she would ask, "How is that going to advance you?" or "Is that going to advance you in any way?" What could I say? I couldn't think of a good answer then, and I still can't. I don't see how it advances me. Yeah, it's fun and I met you guys, but I'm almost certain that I could've utilized the time in a better way. (Also, keep in mind that you guys probably don't know exactly what I'm going through right now. Trust me, it's pretty bad.)

For example, I ran track while I went to tournaments too. When I was practicing for a tourney, I could've been putting in extra time for my sport that I actually had potential in. I could've practiced my trombone more and maybe gone out for additional bands. Heck, with the amount of time I put into practicing Brawl, I could've picked up an additional instrument from scratch.

The difference between things like those and Brawl is that the former actually advance me and can lead somewhere. Honestly, who gives a damn about anyone being good at a video game? When I jumped in the state meet my junior year, I got 6th...maybe some extra practice could've landed me on the podium? (top 3) Maybe I would've been that much more inspired to continue sports into the collegiate level?

I've always complained about how I wanted to play trumpet from the get-go when I talk about instruments. If I would've practiced it instead of practicing brawl, I'd be able to play it right now. Maybe I'd be in some of Yale's bands right now on an instrument with parts that I love, who knows? Instead, I put the time into a video game that can lead nowhere, and to make it worse, I didn't really get anywhere. Yes, I got PR'd here, but our state is considered irrelevant for the most part. No one really knows me for my characters either outside of our state. I feel like a fool when I consider other places in which I could've invested the time.

Ramsaur said:
If I was Leon or Justin I would be offended at the fact that you called the time you spent playing games with them a waste of time.
I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this, but that's just the way I feel. It's only my opinion anyway, and I'm an idiot. Given how much I've clearly got against Smash, I probably seem like a hypocrite too. I'm really am a lunatic when you think about it.

it opens up opportunities for so much more.

Just take a break for a while if you need to BSP, come back when you're ready, you'll always be welcome. :)
??? @ the bolded.

I don't want to be ready to come back. As I've said, I feel like any time I put into this game or video games in general could've been time spent better elsewhere.

You should never be in it just for the money. I don't even think M2K makes enough money from his sponsors to fully support himself.
Smash isn't about the money,it's about the people you meet and how you can be yourself bro.If this was all about money not many would play.
I never got into it for the money. In fact, every time I went to a tournament on Saturday since last May, I missed the opportunity to earn $300+ at work, in addition to the money I lost for going to whatever tournament I went to. I'm an idiot lol. Do you have any idea of how stupid I felt when my only truthful response to "Where were you this Saturday?!?" is "At a video game tournament"?

I'm considering requesting a super ban from this site too. I care waaaaaayyyy too much.

Edit: Found a tidbit of my stats. I had around 54 DAYS of online time. You could play online for a week straight, without eating, sleeping, or drinking, and still not be even close the amount of time I put into online alone. That is a problem.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
BSP, I almost never make personal posts but whatever your going through I wish you luck.

But I would rather not have you disappear you seem like a great guy and you love to teach from what I've seen. Every tournament I've ever seen you at you always stick around the longest to show people things. You don't have to take gaming super seriously if you don't want to of course but I'd love it if you wouldn't go all extremeist on us and disappear forever.

This is just a hobby and just like music, art, or working out which in my opinion are almost complete wastes of time and will not lead anywhere special 90% of the time. You will spend time on your hobby to get better and that is only natural.

Just to relate to you once I played around 6 hours every day for a full year to practice 64. I did think of it as a waste for the longest time especially since I have no natural talent what so ever. Now I feel exactly the opposite way.

In the end I respect whatever you decide to do. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and wish you luck with everything.

-Erick

D

Deleted member

most of the melee community have had serious issues with the amount of time we've invested in the game. i know you feel depressed, but think about having been doing it since 2004 (and thats just LA melee).
im probably the only person that has never once had a second thought about it. to me, life is all about doing what you enjoy doing, not about what "advances" you. (earns your more money, social status, ect.) if you do feel like the only real goal in life is to make more money then competitive gaming is not for you. if you dont feel that way, but think your hobby time could be used on more "real" things (art, music, ect.) then i don't fault you, but i do disagree. i personally thrive on competition but it's more than that to me. the community, while some people are lame as ****, over all has helped me grow as a person. i kinda feel like the parent of the melee community and try to help people grow up, while also having to be strict and keep them in line. this is something that has definitely given me personal fulfillment (but also lots of problems at times, but its worth it). despite this, to me, it all boils down to what makes you happy. you cant let sociological constructs convince you of what you should and should not be doing. if you really are happier not playing games, then dont do it. but if playing games makes you happy, for what ever reason, then do it. ive managed to maintain very competitive gaming status while doing well in school, owning a home, having a good job, having a girlfriend, and still having other hobies on the side. my only worry is money, but over all i feel very blessed and happy and idk where i would be without competitive gaming.

from 2006-2007 (ish) i didnt play smash. i was going though a lot of personal stuff. but in the end it made me really happy and i came back. my heart goes out to what ever serious issued youre going though right now. the few times we've interacted you've been an incredibly stand up guy and ive never thought a bad thing about you. i hope you get through it.

i would never try to convince someone to play brawl (lol) but in the end, to me, its all about what really makes you happy. you seem like the kind of person that can balance all things and do well in life while enjoying yourself in the mean time. best of luck.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
What he is saying from my misunderstanding is his ranking from WHOBO made him realize he isn't gonna get the big money.A flashback happens when his mom asks "Where will this get you in life?"

Florida also has been spitting on our state,and I'm getting pissed about it.If Florida is so damn good one of their players would win APEX.

I see what you mean BSP,but whatever you wanna do - may it lead you in the right direction.

RIP : Mario/Luigi/Sonic

Top Bottom