• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

D

Deleted member

I'd look into getting a new venue. :/

Definitely a conference room at a hotel. You could get a small one and charge $10 for the venue fee to pay for the room. If the room ran $100, you could easily get 10 people between Brawl and melee.
no one is going to pay a $10 venue fee for a tournament with 5-10 people

ChKn

Smash Ace
From my last post: Well apparently, the question had to deal with taunt parties, so crisis averted guys.

Also, try to average like 20+ people per tournament beforehand. That way if you want to do something bigger, the venue fee won't have to be as high.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
no one is going to pay a $10 venue fee for a tournament with 5-10 people
You don't know that. If having a tournament on a Saturday means that much to people, $10 is a small price to pay.

@Chikn- Are we talking about 20+ people average in general or for an event? At the last Get Hype, we had over 20 people. 15 for brawl, 8 for melee and about 5-6 for fighters. The trick is having you guys actually show up. It all boils down to, I do my job as a TO by setting a date and time, letting you guys know the details about the tournament. You guys have to fulfill the your part of the bargain and show up. Right now, all I ever see is MAR, Jnig, Gunner, and Brawlman. They are willing to drive to any event in our state, no matter the distance. I'd like to see more of you guys show up so there is no debate about putting attendance up on the board. You show up, we run the tournaments, people go home happy. So IF we were to ever get a venue like a conference room at a hotel, and let's say the cost was $100, then getting just those 20 people alone from Melee and brawl, would pay for itself, hell, even 25 people. We have the amount of people to average 20+ per tournament, but people just don't show up for whatever reason.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
The problem is the smasher's insistence on "I'll go if these other people go". When everyone says that, no one shows up.

Just commit, assholes.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I meant over both games. What I was getting at is more about finding a balance between your dedicated to casual people. Across the board, our activity is just starting to reemerge based off of the fresher faces I've seen post. TBH, we need more local smashfests lol.

-Ran

Smash Master
Tournament saturation may be the issue. Players can't, and won't attend tournaments every week due to the expense or the inability to schedule off work every Saturday in the month. If the former is the case, there's nothing that really makes any of the monthly events stand out, so it is hard for players to all randomly decide on making one of them 'THE' tournament to attend that month. So then you have someone take off work, and show up to an event that only has ten people.

shows over. move along everyone.
Oh, I guess I won't be remaking the entire initial two posts, updating them vastly, and replacing all the old, out dated formatting to streamline everything. I may even have had plans to remap the scene to enable newer players to find like minded locals to play with.

Ah well, the scene's loss. So glad you'll keep that front page updated like always. ^_^

Bomber7

Smash Hero
More of the reason why I'm trying to bring in new blood for what it's worth.

Edit: @Ran- this is a bit last minute, but I didn't take much notice of it before. It's a tournament in AL. http://smashboards.com/threads/asl-...-bathroom-march-30th-2013-saraland-al.334920/ Not that bad of a drive for people who live in SE-LA. It's about an hour and a half's drive for me. I can't go because of my trip to HOBO, but to those here who want to travel at least once this year, this is an opportunity.

-Ran

Smash Master
Okuser took control of the thread again. I only had like half a day of being able to do any edits, of which I was at work. Well, at least I was able to fix a few things.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Once you guys have more experienced TOs, I'm sure that they can branch out and get more people to join the scene. I guess, overall, it's about feeding to the big bang of Winter/Summer Con.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Once you guys have more experienced TOs, I'm sure that they can branch out and get more people to join the scene. I guess, overall, it's about feeding to the big bang of Winter/Summer Con.
I totally agree. I've typed up a guide which is a work in progress right now, but ideally I'd like to see Smashcon's TOs as community leaders. They help keep the community together, bridge the competitive and the casuals, they do the branching out, and the reaching out to other players, constantly trying to build and maintain the community as well as improve it. So many run-ons I don't really care right now, but you guys get the point. With my guide, I'm hoping I will have created a good read for anyone interested in becoming a TO. When they read it there will be various general and specific knowledge that will help them in almost any situation. The only problem is we need more stable TOs that aren't moving away or are too busy to run tournies. I'm confident we will get there. :)

Edit: I called Jarious about 3 pm to see how Get Hype was going, we didn't get many people as expected, and it was about 4 people for melee. From what I could tell with all the background noise, people were having fun. Beyond that, I don't know. I'm sure next Get Hype we will have more people, it just didn't help that some people already spent some money on hobo or just were too busy to make it. No biggie. Next time we'll get our 15 for brawl and we'll get more people for melee.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Just got back from Get Hype. It was fun indeed. :D
Top 4 was:
1. Brawlman
2. Juggolo
3. FIYA (Holden?)
4. Phil

There was only 8 entrants for Brawl tho. :/

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Want to be a good TO? Make sure your events finish on time and offer a wide range of events for players of all skill and characters (mid tier, low tier, pools, teams....ect). And i guess the most important thing is to make sure you control your scene with an iron fist and be a tyrant. Its YOUR event, not the players. They will either attend/have fun and obey you or they wont go. Give them that choice, dont bend on it and BOOM you will become a LEGEND like me.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
And what xyro said is the secret to my success or so I've slowly learned. :)

Edit: Going to try and get that results thread up soon. I'm going to contact my co-TOs and have them send me the TIO file for the event.

ivan91994

Smash Rookie
I also have friends that will take me and actually want to participate but are there any othr fighters at any of the upcoming tournaments? I am a melee guy but I have friends who aren't but want to take me if there is something other than just Smash.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Laffy is big on PSAS. I'm almost positive they do other fighters too. We'll have to get Curlz to tell us.

Aren't people in Shreveport? Okuser and gunner or something?

Curlz

Smash Lord
Laffy has a pretty good Brawl and PSAS scene, but we tend to not travel too much for Brawl. Later this month there's a tourny in Laffy for all 3 smash games and PSAS if you're interested in making an appearance Ivan.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I'm guessing most of the Smash action is around Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Lafayette? Because there's like nothing up here in the Sportsman's Paradise.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
lol you can play with me anytime you want if you live in ruston....
¿Dónde? I would love to have another person to play smash with other than my one friend. Okuser, I've seen you (You play Snake right? Me too!!!) in some Who's Tyler videos and Gunner and Limbo seem to know you. I'm more active on AiB and I've seen you on there too. I have the same account name there, so hit me up because I want to play someone different lol. Are you in Ruston Okuser?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm guessing most of the Smash action is around Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Lafayette? Because there's like nothing up here in the Sportsman's Paradise.
If you take fancy to Smash 64, Southeast LA is big on that along with some brawl.

Top Bottom