• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

D

Deleted member

that's because we're just going to beat you up and take all the money back (plus some).

but we wouldnt do that to gunner <3<3

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
What happened in the replay?

:phone:
I was standing near the ledge and the lvl 9 Lucas f-smashed and narrowly missed my shield and I slid back a little. So weird.
No IMO, but we do have some key problems that you can't really argue against.
Yeah every time I see this ******** Melee vs Brawl bull**** come up the word combo always gets thrown up in Brawl's face for lacking it. I personally don't find that to be a reason to say Melee > Brawl either and I honestly like that Brawl has no combos and is more read based but whatever.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I mean you could also throw around the words "tripping" and "transcendent priority" but yeah lets go with combos.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
I never see my absolute biggest complaint about brawl over melee ever get brought up. **** those ledges, seriously. They almost kill the gimping game. You zip to them AUTOMATICALLY and from far as hell away. All my favorite characters have ****ty KO moves and great ledge guarding moves... or they would be if the ledge wasn't infallable. I just hate that almost all lives end in KOs when this is "the game where you knock people off of stages". When I play a char that can't KO against a DDD or Wario or whatever that's the only time I think to myself "This...... this wasn't supposed to be a fighting game was it?"

For all of the other typical brawl complaints I pretty much got annoyed for about 2 minutes then never thought about them again. No combos? Meh its still smash, I like the smash series for movement and attack options, not the damage options. Tripping? Worst fighting game mechanic ever made but I can go entire sets without seeing one. Slower gameplay? My favorite fighter is 3S so that shows how much I care about speed. Knocking the guy clear off the stage and it not being an option to KO alot of the cast? That's just unsmash-like and boring. Yeah I know you can still gimp recoveries on brawl, I've seen the bat 3 stock people in under a minute and my sheik would be useless without it, but geez its alot of effort. Granted, the extra work makes it feel more rewarding, but I miss melee where you could lose ALL your stocks to that instead of it happening once in a blue moon. Thats why melee is funner for me to watch too, gimps make the flow of the match so swingy. Axe's pikachu can be down 3 stocks and I'm still on the edge of my seat. With watching brawl its like a minute of regular fighting then I'm watching with 0 intensity until the guy thats behind closes the gap between their stocks and %s because odds are he's never gonna catch up or if he does it'll be entire minutes from now. Watching melee makes you scared to blink, watching brawl makes you scared of 3 out of 5 sets.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah every time I see this ******** Melee vs Brawl bull**** come up the word combo always gets thrown up in Brawl's face for lacking it. I personally don't find that to be a reason to say Melee > Brawl either
I agree with you. I think it's a preference thing and it doesn't automatically make Melee > Brawl.

But, as I said, how do we argue against:

"tripping"
Random input delay - seriously, I wonder how to support this...

Our ruleset limiting characters, with the LGL being the main offender.

RCO Lag

I think most people would agree that all of these are bad for competitive play.

"transcendent priority"
I think this is debatable, but it is a silly property to give a sword on 90% of its moves.

:metaknight: himself is debatable as well. Whether or not you think he's broken (with our limits on him, that is), 60%+ of the game is about him.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I've seen RCO tossed around a bit in this discussion...as a main of one of the characters who suffers profusely from it, I have to ask why is this a bad mechanic? Because it doesn't effect all recoveries?

BSP

Smash Legend
It affects me a lot too. :mario2:, :luigi2:, and :falco:.

I don't see the purpose in punishing the player for doing what they're supposed to do when they're knocked offstage. The fact that it's not universal is just salt in the wound.

@Blaise - I feel you. If Brawl had Melee ledges, Mario would be top tier.

D

Deleted member

I didn't realize you were at Yale. You should hook up with qpac and learn some meleeeeee

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I see a lot of things, a lot of tiny things, people here don't like about brawl that can be easily fixed. The stuff that deals with the rule-sets.

So if you could have a general rule-set, what would it be?

MK banned? MK legal? Stage list? LGLs? etc.

D

Deleted member

Rule one: take 2 shots and chug a beer.

I'm still working on the rest.

BSP

Smash Legend
Looking at some of my old vids, I realize I don't walk enough.

I need to wifi some people

BSP

Smash Legend
A good player backed by a good brawl character doesn't simply reset after 1 or 2 hits (unless its ****ing olimar). Resetting isn't simply easy just because people have arguably too much defensive freedom after being hit. Everything you do still matters and at high level play, you don't reset, you get reset. I'm not gonna deny that some common matchups more or less embody what you just said (like ****ing olimar/ics), but there are plenty of fast paced matchups too. The game is younger and alot less people can play as fast as the best.
I wanted to point out that I agree with this. I also saw some post that said most interactions in brawl end up in a hit for 5%, then a reset, and I have to disagree with that. I don't think people are giving the positional disadvantage you are put at when you get hit in brawl enough credit (that's part of the reason why I think everyone camps so much). Of course, this is present in Melee/P:M/64, but Tesh is right in that if the opponent doesn't let you reset, you have to get reset in order to get back to neutral ground. I.E.

:metaknight: - Dthrows are around ~11% and your safest direction of DI gives up the most stage control; his Dtilt will make you trip and leads into a grab; glide attack combos into nair at low percents for an easy 30% + bad positioning; MK can really rush you down if he wants, he's got the frame data + range to back it up.

:falco: - 0-44% = chain grab + guaranteed follow-up + tech chase situation if he dairs; positional disadvantages in said situations; 0-`140%ish, Dthrow - Bdacus unless you DI up, and if you do DI up, you go right back into the worst position to be in and Falco can frame trap you; 0-idk70ish, he can gatling combo most mistakes for a easy 25%. etc.

:snake: - Ftilt = 21% plus giving Snake room to set up. Dthrow = 12% fresh + 4 options for the opponent after. Any read for Snake gets him a re grab, dash attack, or Ftilt; etc.

I think I'm getting the point across. Again, all of this exists in melee/64/P:M, and more likely to a greater extent due to hitstun; and Brawl loses most of its combos as % rises forcing players have to rely on abusing positioning advantages, but I don't think every situation is one hit and run away in Brawl if a player doesn't want it to be. Unfortunately, that's the safest thing to do, so it happens a lot. :urg:

Edit: 64 to a lesser extent. Ideally, 1 hit should lead to death in that one

M2K v DEHF shows what I'm saying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn4Xk9dKFaA

M2K camps at CG % because he doesn't want to go from 0-60%+. Once he does land a hit on Falco though, you see how aggro he goes to cover Falco's options, and he makes sure that he takes something from each encounter. On the other hand, Falco only wants to come in on his own terms, because once he gets hit/thrown by MK, he's put in terrible positioning and is much more likely to eat damage + a reset on the bad positioning. The Bdacus kill on M2K's first stock game 2 is exactly what I mean about how bad each grab can be.

Just say when :D
Ok.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
WinterCon 2013 Replay Update

So here's the news on the videos. I tried reaching out to the guys in the National Replay Project but didn't get any form of response until today. Turns out the project is a bust because they couldn't accumulate enough uploaders to satisfy the demand of people wanting their replays recorded and uploaded to youtube. I know some people at school who have a spare capture card I can use, so I plan on getting my hands on it this week and by this weekend, I plan on uploading as many as I can. Though here's the deal with that, I'm only one guy and I can only upload so many videos at a time. If ANY of you guys has a capture card lying around and you'd like to help me with this, please say so now and we will talk. If I can't get any help with this, then your videos will be at the mercy of my uploading capability.

I'm also looking to see who would be interested in becoming part of a recording team. I need people who can no only record games with their SD cards but they also have capture cards at their disposal. If I can't find enough people to help me, I am not going to record any more matches in the future because I'm not going to take this burden on all by myself.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Top Bottom