• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! I wanna go but what should I say to my parents? "Hey Im going to a guy's house who told me his adress on the internet for a Super Smash tourney!" Plus, can I even go, or will you guys be drinking alcohol and stuff?

Plus, who is DJ?

usea

Smash Ace
Well, here's Ralph's address: No, I'm kidding. But what part of PM the fella didn't you understand?
It would be helpful if at least the city he lives in was revealed. If he lives in shreveport or something, there's no way I'm going to bother asking him for his exact address since I can't come.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_<

Oooh, showing up for smash the day before New Years might be a bit hard. People tend to like doing things around that time.

Bakemonky

Smash Apprentice
It would be helpful if at least the city he lives in was revealed. If he lives in shreveport or something, there's no way I'm going to bother asking him for his exact address since I can't come.
That's exactly what I meant as well. I don't want to know the street address or anything, but I would like to know which continent it is on before I consider going.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I'm sorry. I just assumed people knew he lives here in Baton Rouge because he's hosted one before. He lives a few minutes away from the Mall of LA.

*updates post*

Esprit

Smash Rookie
He lives in (or around) Jefferson Terrace, the neighborhood Setsuma, Sekots, Tyran, Kalzar, and myself on the weekends live. Anyone whos been to any of our places should know the area :)

Battousai780

Smash Ace
>_<

Oooh, showing up for smash the day before New Years might be a bit hard. People tend to like doing things around that time.
SHWEET!!!!1 Now I don't have to help my mom with cleaning the house while she yells at me!!!!!1!!!1!!1111!!!!11oneone!!!!!1

D

dj ralph (ddraholic)

Well, we put it on the day BEFORE the day you want to go out and party, so you don't have to worry about it.

To all you younger players, please note that this is an all-ages tournament. You can get your parents to call me and I'll verify. I hated not being able to go to events when I was younger cause my mom was all worried there would be alcohol there. There won't be. I figure the best Smash player could be 21 or 12, and he should be able to be here. Plus, like I've already said, the day AFTER the tournament is the day you go party.

Also, to anyone not from Louisiana considering making the trip, if you want to be at the tournament with Louisiana's best, this is the one to come to. They'll be here, and we have got some good players. So, if you're from the state and want to see how you stand, want to come have a great time and hang out, or you're not from the state and want either of those two things, there is no reason why you shouldn't come to this tournament.

Anyone who wants exact directions, don't hesistate to send me a PM and I'll give them to you. I just ask that you not post them here in the thread.

Hope to see you all there!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
:/

Still it's a bit mehish that it's held on the 30th . . . But can't really complain too much about it since everyone else is up for it, and I dont' want to ruin the good thing we've got going.

>_> I'll see if Tony or Ryan want to go. I think Matt'll probably want to go, and Avery already said he's looking forward to it. If I do go, I'll definitely bring over a VCR + lots of tapes. Probably won't bring a tv, but that won't matter since apparently you live near like everyone in BR. :p

Also, I read up on the Swiss system but are we just going to do 2 matches or a full out round robin or something? If so that seems like it'd take a while. >____>

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Well, the number of rounds in a Swiss tournament are determined by the number of players.

Log (base2) [number of players] rounded up to the next whole number. So, a 32 person tournament will take 5 rounds, from 33- 64, it'll be 6 rounds.

If we get 5 tvs, 5 rounds of swiss will only take about 4-5 hours. That means there's time for friendlies, money matches, and whatever else. We thought about doing a Round Robin at first, but, for 30 people,it would take a long time.

Jackets

Smash Rookie
finally, a tourney thats a teeny bit closer.
im definately up for going, if i can catch a ride(pokes Sars) i look forward to going if i can : )

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Whoo!

So ah, just found out from Matt that he beat RAM. >_> So, yeah, Matt's a **** beast.

And Tony beat me at the school tourney, but ah think it would've been more trouble for him if I could have used somebody besides Fox or Falcon.

>_< Needs to play soon.

*loves that Taylor is back* *Wants to play Mary*

^^^ Holy @#$! word travels fast...plus it was the closest match every possible. We both had major errors. I wish i could of came to that school tournament. Anyone can someone who will be attenting this saturdays tournament send me all the info i need to get there..I live in the N.O. of places...

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
Hey Matt!!! come to our Biweekly Next time, if you need a place to crash your more then welcome to stay in the guest room in my house.
man u have a guest room and u made ure own crew sleep in the garage!!! u rich ******* lol j/k yea its a nice guest room ive slept there so ram can guarantee that it is good cause i didnt complain ;)

Avery

Smash Cadet
Well I'm now seriously anticipating this tourney. After talking to both Randall(FakeGeorge) and Ralph yesterday I realized this if anything should be what I leave N.O. for over the holidays. Hopefully I'll be able to locate a ride (Note: Sars/Matt if you guys are going and have room for the **** Team feel free to include us ^_^, Sars who would be driving Tony or Ryan?, but anyways a ride would be nice if you guys are going and may have room. Ralph,Randall, and Vaughn are all really cool guys and its going to be nice meeting them, just have to find a ride first. >_<

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm going to N.O. to play w/ ricky,ray, john etc....lee's got school tomorrow, so i'll be going solo on this outing. Its just gonna be at ricky's house...so its not like a real smashfest...but i'll see if i can record some matches or w/e. Time to see how they've come since a few months ago.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Well, we put it on the day BEFORE the day you want to go out and party, so you don't have to worry about it.

To all you younger players, please note that this is an all-ages tournament. You can get your parents to call me and I'll verify. I hated not being able to go to events when I was younger cause my mom was all worried there would be alcohol there. There won't be. I figure the best Smash player could be 21 or 12, and he should be able to be here. Plus, like I've already said, the day AFTER the tournament is the day you go party.

Also, to anyone not from Louisiana considering making the trip, if you want to be at the tournament with Louisiana's best, this is the one to come to. They'll be here, and we have got some good players. So, if you're from the state and want to see how you stand, want to come have a great time and hang out, or you're not from the state and want either of those two things, there is no reason why you shouldn't come to this tournament.

Anyone who wants exact directions, don't hesistate to send me a PM and I'll give them to you. I just ask that you not post them here in the thread.

Hope to see you all there!
I love you... -in a non gay way XD-

D

dj ralph (ddraholic)

:/

apparently you live near like everyone in BR. :p

This is why I got an apartment where I did. It's right next to both interstates, right next to the arcades I frequent, and right in the middle of town. WIN WIN WIN.

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
i'm going to N.O. to play w/ ricky,ray, john etc....lee's got school tomorrow, so i'll be going solo on this outing. Its just gonna be at ricky's house...so its not like a real smashfest...but i'll see if i can record some matches or w/e. Time to see how they've come since a few months ago.
I got to play a bit...and i realized how bad i am...Barely taking off 1 stock of cyphus..

Never seen someone move that fast with Doc before in my life =/

GG's though.

Sudai

Stuff here
It's not that you're bad, it's that Cyphus hasan ungodly strategic mind and can pick apart all the subtleties in his opponent's game, on top of that, he has a lot of experience and really good tech skill~ :p

I can only get 2-3 stocks off his doc on a good day. :/

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
actually it was like..."cyphus just chainthrew my falco every stock into a KO"...would be more like it. Its just kinna a mismatch, when a falco player isn't used to my doc.
And truth be told, i 3 stocked John's Falco w/ my doc, too...plus i did a sick combo (chainthrow, uptilt, shuffle UpAir, dash atk, f.smash) that shook him so forcefully, his body violently twitched.

i think we played smash for like 7 hours at least. Out of all the matches i played as doc, i only lost to john when he was marth about 1/3rd the time. Which is really what i was expecting since my doc has improved lately. i pulled nasty combos...but sadly we didn't record anything this time.

Ricky's a Mario player now, with fox as his 2nd. said he's learning from my doc. He had a few good combos, but i'm sure he can make them even better in due time. I think he got better from last time. His mario was able to get a couple victories over john's marth, and his fox had some close matches. Ricky thinks Ray is the best, but that he doesn't play seriously.

Ray's main is still sheik, but he still rathers play his low tiers: Roy and Y.Link. which are deffinately more impressive to see. In a ladder system of sorts, he wanted to test my doc against his roster (Sheik, Roy, Y.Link, Mewtwo) and i 1 & 2 them. I don't know what ricky is talking about ray being the best. I fear sheik more than anything w/ doc, but i just find his easy.

John of course is still Marth. His falco has improved alot and now prolly his 2nd but its still a big step behind his marth and prolly not worth it to him to ever use in tournies since its a very bland predictable falco. His Roy actually scares me more. Ricky and Ray both tell me Ray's Roy is better...but John's roy gave me alot more trouble- enough for me to say its his 2nd best.

My falco went about 50/50 w/ john's marth. I also beat him w/ Capt., but it wasn't the most serious of matches prolly. likewise i almost won w/ my horrible fox and in a marth ditto . I also picked IceClimbers a few times and ***** w/ the infinite combo on ricky and ray. I pulled it off every frickin' time i tried it..it was crazy. I didn't wanna overdo it, so i only played ice like 4x the whole smashfest, lol.
I kept SDing when i tried to edge-WD, (I guess i was nervous) but it wasn't a biggy cuz most the time i made a comeback, as long as i was doc :p .

My doc lost to Ricky's fox once...and it was NOT fair. he was at 1 stock over 100%. i was at 2 stock mid percent. Cocky, i tried nailing him w/ a f.air as he UpBed..i missed, died, and said..oh well..still got another one.
So i did the exact same thing again....threw him off...and went for the F.air as he UpBed towards the level. I ****ING HIT THE GOD****T THING..but noooo.it just HAD to be a phantom hit!?!?!?!?!?

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Proud to say I've beaten all his mains at one time or another :D. Never gotten a single tourney round on him before tho, always 0-2. My advice for taking him out instead of just telling you "practice more" is to work on your DI, tech evasion, and recovery. Especially work on the tech evasion, he'll hit you the exact frame that you're vulnerable so do all you can to throw him off. If you ever play Lee, DEFINITELY work on your recovery. He misses an edge guarding attempt like one every 50 tries.

Basically you guys have to adapt to a higher level of play where 2 + 2 isnt always 4 and a 1v1 isnt just the match itself. Each time your characters clash its a 1v1 and the more of these clashes you win, the better your shots are of winning overall. People tend to count stocks but you actually have to count individual hits. Smash is a very technical game but like with all fighters, you gotta truly understand what it means to defeat another person.

The LA smash scene has had a renaissance over the last two years so we have to raise our metagame. Train harder and break your old limitations. Play more brutal and play every chance you get. Develop unique strats of your own whether it be for a certain char, stage, or situation. We can all get much better as long as we're not either 1. sitting still or 2. doing the same thing over and over.

Edit: Correction, Cyphus reminded me, i did get a round on him in a tourney once lol. Cant believe I forgot that.

Avery

Smash Cadet
Well Cyphus, I'm glad to hear how they've been coming along. Last time I played them, was FFA style at Dibbz. I mainly played Ricky and it normally ended up with us two at the end of the FFA me with like 1 stock and 70%+ and him over 2 stock. I never really got to tell how I compare to them.

Ricky changing to Mario, shocking. After playing Fox all this time I thought thats who he was always going to main. He's always looked at Mario specially though. He claims something about Mario being the most balanced character in the game(This is just his opinion don't hate him because of it). So ahhh I might have to head over to Dibbz soon to play them, it's hard to catch singles matches there because they go on Friday accompanied by like 15+ other smashers. Glad to hear about the trip and the next time you come, should be on a weekend seeing as then you could play the ****, and London Forces.

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Other random advice, play other fighters. I play Super Street Fighter 2, Tekken 5, Marvel vs Capcom 1-2, any Street Fighter Alpha, Budokai Tenkaichi, any mortal kombat, and the old smash just to name a few. You'd be surprised what things carry over from other games. From what Cyphus tells me, he's good at ultimate mortal kombat 3, budokai 3, and marvel vs capcom 2. Eric plays Naruto if I'm not mistaken. There's something to learn from all of them.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

Playing Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest never helped me out with playing smash so ah . . . steer clear of that when trying to learn more stuff.

Esprit

Smash Rookie
Mmmm, I still suck balls but I'm hopefully gonna be at the tourney to see how I do ^_^

Setsuma was like "dude I'm quittin smash, I get so pissed when I **** up technical **** I know I can do" and the next day he was like "Wow, I can't beleive I almost quit smash!"

lolz

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
bleh....work said i can't request off for the week of christmas cuz they're gay...but i'm going to turn in a request off sheet for the tourney day anyway, and hope for a miracle.

if the inevitable does happen, just know i would have won. my awesomeness has increased 1.1 fold!

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
bleh....work said i can't request off for the week of christmas cuz they're gay...but i'm going to turn in a request off sheet for the tourney day anyway, and hope for a miracle.

if the inevitable does happen, just know i would have won. my awesomeness has increased 1.1 fold!
Where there is gayness, there is my famous playing style. MARTH IS YOUR BOSS.

CAn wee have a tourney....Mid week next weeK? <3

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i heard taylor didn't even use marth in teh tourney...
wtf at doc, samus, peach, etc?..u trying to work new characters cuz marth isn't perfect to go solo with or are you trying to show off? B)
congrats on winning though.
Glad to see Usea make a nice comeback and do well, as well asd Blaise and Setsuma keepin it real.
I revamped the LA tier list...and its awesome...u can agree...or NOT be awesome.

Louisiana Power Rankings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tier 1: Lee, Cyphus, John
Tier 2: Taylor, Ricky, Eet, Ray
Tier 3: Blaise, RSIA, Mary, Flarefox, Nicknyte
Tier 4: Setsuma, Dustin, Vaughn, Usea, Ever, Sudai

Tier 1 through 4 is relatively accurate because these are the players that either win tournaments, consistently place high, or have made some form of impression in the competitive community through fights with other good players.
Players that start under Tier 4 become very hard to order and likewise harder to separate via tiers. If you're on the list, conrgrats...if not, be happy you can't be judged by a stupid list, right? This list does not stretch to fit more players. Players must stretch themselves to fit in the list.
How hard you own n00bs means nothing. How well you handle decent players means little. How well you can hold your own versus great players says the most about your skill. And those "great players" are the trusted attributers for the list because their educated experience is safer judgement.
The LA Power Rankings however do not claim to be anywhere near accurate and attempts to continually improve and update through each tournament and generation of smash skill.

Pro Locations:
Houma Area: (Gray) Cyphus, (DownTown Houma) Lee
N.O. Area: (Kenner) Ricky, Ray, John, Everpower, (Slidel) Usea
BR Area: (...its a big city) Taylor, Eet, RSIA, Vaughn, Mary, Setsuma, Sudai
Lafayette Area: Blaise, Dustin
Asian Area: (Unknown) Flarefox

usea

Smash Ace
I don't know if I really deserve a spot on the list, the people I've played who are in the same tier as me are definitely better than I am. I know it doesn't really matter or anything, just thought I'd give my opinion :) I'm not being modest either, they're just solidly better players than I am at this point.

also, a question. I've met a bunch of new people and I know their names, but I don't know whose names match up with which online personas. could somebody do a quick recap of who uses which name online?

Sudai

Stuff here
That's why I always give people my online alias. >.> I've been using it for 10 years now anyway~ XP

This tournament on the 30th...nothing's stopping me from going, short of the world blowing up..................or work not giving me off. >.>

RAM

Smash Lord
Hey LA I'm thinking of holding a Smash Tourney/Cookout in my backyard so check your thread tommorrow if you're interested and hopefully I'll see alot of ya there,

YA FL Buddy

BIG RAM ^_^

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
GOD I hope I get to go on the thirtieth.

I seriously want to make atleast one appearance to a LA smash event this year >___<

Also, I think the last time Ryan and I went to play against Tim, Taylor, Eric, Shyguy at BR was like December break also . . .

So this is like a one year absence or something . . .

---
*Just saw RAM's thing*

Woah, Smash cookout? And you live in NO eh? SWEET! That one I think I can definitely go so long as I dont' have to take an exam that day. >_<

Top Bottom