• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Jackets

Smash Rookie
so uh, i knida checked with area 51 in Gretna. they have a sign posted that they take tourneys, so idk if anyone would be up for that. if youd like to try to organize a tourney, heres the info:

54 Westbank Expy
Gretna, LA 70053

(504) 309-7926

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
call me at 225-892-4778
i dont want to win anymore games are dumb
but for some reason ill still play it sometimes
and i subconsciously still think im better than everyone but i dont talk about it
all about that love though

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Whoo!

So ah, just found out from Matt that he beat RAM. >_> So, yeah, Matt's a **** beast.

And Tony beat me at the school tourney, but ah think it would've been more trouble for him if I could have used somebody besides Fox or Falcon.

>_< Needs to play soon.

*loves that Taylor is back* *Wants to play Mary*

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
RAM's still my hero. And welcome back, Mary and Taylor.
Ay, Taylor, teach Elvis how to be awesome with Marth. I kinda want him to win more, but mostly it's to make me better with whomever I pick against a good Marth. I'm tired of ****** him with the Loo (no offense, Nyte).

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
Whoo!

So ah, just found out from Matt that he beat RAM. >_> So, yeah, Matt's a **** beast.

And Tony beat me at the school tourney, but ah think it would've been more trouble for him if I could have used somebody besides Fox or Falcon.

>_< Needs to play soon.

*loves that Taylor is back* *Wants to play Mary*

yea dude ram said that u guys have some good locals that smash.... but still think about that match up ...... luigi vs samus..... luigi only gets flat out countered by samus zelda.... and marth and fox do good against him..... thats all i know for sure tho.... but i do know samus counters luigi..... i wish i could come one week with ram to play some cause me and ram always break even when we play so i might do good against u guys.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

Yes, I do know the matchup isn't in favor for Luigi. But then again, RAM's probably one of the best Luigi's in the south if not the best. Beating him even with a Marth or Fox is still a pretty big deal, no?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Bleh, I wanna play again at esply but my parents said its making me do worse in school(WHICH ITS NOT!!!!) And now, I have a controller that works.

RAM

Smash Lord
U never played Samus against Me and when you Played Zelda we were Messing around like always u trying to destroy the already Crappy Reputation I have left , but beside's that it was a Gametrader Tourney so it was only for Fun Thanks for the Boost of Confidence Sars But I'm only a mid Level Smasher, Luigi Carries Me. I wish I was one of the best Luigi's in the South but ask anybody that I play in Florida and they all Know I only win when I play with Luigi.

P.S I still Love Matt he's still my Gametrader Rival who's keeping my title Warm for me ^_^ JK Matt if you see this, but next time I'm in Town we should smash with Ricky and the Gang.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
no way ram bro im not tryin to trach ure rep im tryin to make sure they dont put u down for losing at the fun tourney. i did play samus on u once at ure house... but anyway.... me and joe rnt tryin to trash u at all bro like im saying my peach has tons of trouble with ure luigi because u play him soooo damm good bro thats y i try to learn some counters for ure char.... and hey if it was luigi that carried u then luigi would carry alot of other people and that is not the case because if it were then luigi would be up in the tier...... just to put it out right ure luigi is teh rapezors bro...... dont be soo down on ureself all the time. if u do that then u wont perform to ure best and our crew is just barley beginning to be noticed...... soooooo cheer up my crazy green machine team partner..... o yea u want to team in mobile next week?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MUCH LOVE FOR RAM <3~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Also as far as the south goes, the only Luigi that has a chance of being better than yours is Derf's but you guys seem about even to me. Hard for me to tell though since Derf never plays Luigi vs. my main.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
yea the only time ive played derf is his fox and falcon in friendlies or his falcon in teams.... only once have i played against his luigi in teams and teams is never a good rep for someone's full potential with a char...... soooo yea untill i see other wise i give it a tie.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
manko, that was an incredibly silly match, lol.
can't luigi sweetspot UpB to avoid the shine?....i kept scratching my head....or can't he even DI+tech since he's against hte wall?

derf's luigi looks "resourcefully" better...imo, but that doensn't neccessarily mean alot since theres plenty smashers who look robotically perfect (like mankosuki, lol) who simply aren't perfect at reading.

and Taylor? ha...whose that? He says he still thinks he's the best...and yet he doesn't wanna do tournaments? I scratch my blistery nads at you, sir! and he should take into account the vast improvement me and lee have gained since the last time we played such as the vast riches of FC6.

</arrogant rant>

character update:
Cyphus: Doc, Falco, Peach/Pikachu/Link/Ganon
Lee: Fox, Falco/Sheik, Jigs/Marth, Y.Link

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
yeah, I think he can sweetspot to avoid it. That match was basically me showing him the shine exploit before the tourney that weekend. Since he was teaming with me, I wanted RAM to be aware of just how easy Rice would be able to gimp him with his Fox.

*edit*: I dunno though, it looked like he was going to at 2:52 but he still got hit.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
o yea and one other point just to help ram out is that every match they played was on FD and samus does naturally good at FD because of the missles.... and ram even said one of the missles pushed him off the **** level when he blocked it and he tryed to WD out of his shield in time and SD'ed sooooo iono maybe the gametrader tournaments should go on with some 2 out of 3 with counter picks and random first stage but iono it is just a fun tourney so i guess that doesnt matter.

RAM

Smash Lord
it dose'nt matter it was a fun tourney and Matt was going to buy me Mario kart with the winnings for the 64 but I declined because I wanted him to keep his credit so he can get what he wanted, the one WII Gametrader gets whenever it get there, It would have been wrong if I took something I did'nt earn ya know. but besides that how many Luigi Players are in the south beside's me and Derf because this best Luigi in the south thing is starting to make me wonder how many are their exactly for me to be considered one of the good ones. :urg:

Sudai

Stuff here
So uhm, after the tournament this weekend, I think I'm going to officially drop out of the scene for a while (save for the matches against Ska I promised him~ :p) since my entire life is being occupied by work, LoZ:TP, and FFXII.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Being the best Luigi is like being the tallest ******. Sure, you're taller than the other *******, and you might even beat some of the shorter regular people, but in the end you're still a ******.
I don't care if that offends any Luigi players, cause I play Luigi and I came to that realization a long time ago. Unfortunately, I can only play with Luigi, and every one of my other characters gets owned (yeah, that's how you spell it). Add that to the fact that my Luigi isn't as good as most and I'm back to being a mediocre-sized ******.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
There's this dude here in Tampa who plays Luigi named Aqua. His is really good too and our matches are ussually close, just like with RAM. He never leaves the Tampa area though so he hasn't been to any tourneys to be recognized. I think if he started getting some better experience he'd be a deadly dude.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Um, I never thought my comment for Matt would actually cause this many posts.

But just to let people know, I'd never post to put down another person or say So and So blows and this guy's way better. Yes I know it was FD, I know it was Samus, and it was a one round decides the whole set sort of deal. But idk man. I didn't think I was putting down RAM in anyway. If anything I may have made it too big a deal that Matt beat RAM who's one of the best smashers to come down and play at the gametrader tourneys, you know?

>_> In truth all I really wanted to do was bring more attention towards Matt's Samus, and that's all. There was no ill intent whatsoever so ah yeah. <3's everyone.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Ralph's Tournament

The Big Cheese: LA's Swiss Series

The When and Where:

Dec. 30th 12PM (you can show up at 10:30, no earlier please!)
Ralph's apartment, Baton Rouge, LA (He's a few minutes from the Mall of LA. PM dj ralph for the address. Please, do NOT post it.)

The Aim:

I've seen how many people have been wanting to compete in a tournament that showed how all of the players ranked, not just the very top. For this end, a round robin is best. However, the time needed for a full round robin with even 30 people is absurd. Naturally, a swiss style tournament is quite appealing. As such, this tournament was created with the intention of allowing LA to get a good idea of where the mid and low skilled players stand. In no way will it be comprehensive, however, I do believe it will be helpful in reaching this end.

The Welcome:

Anyone and everyone can come. We WANT everyone to be there. So come smash.

The Format:

For those people who don't know what swiss style is:

In a swiss style tournament, all players will play in a predetermined number of rounds. The first round is paired randomly. In the second round however, all the winners (1-0 record) are randomly paired and all of the losers are paired (0-1 record). After this round all 2-0 people are paired, all 1-1 people, and all 0-2. The tournament continues pairing in this fashion, following the idea that no two people play each other twice, unless it can be avoided. After so many rounds, there will be one player with more wins that everyone else. That's the winner.

Now that's a simple explaination, there are a few quirks to swiss style that you can find on wikipedia or something like that. Another advantage of a swiss tournament is that EVERYONE gets to play EVERY round. As such, the lower skill levels will be sorted out much clearer than in a double elimination tournament. This means those fans of the LA tier list can have a blast with the results.

The Rules:

As for the smash particular rules
-4 stock
-best 2/3 matches
-8 minute time limit
-Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Poke Stadium, and Yoshi's Story are random stages.
-Banned Stages: Great Bay, Mushroom Kingdom 1 and 2,Yoshi's Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, and Onett
- note: If both players agree to play on a banned stage, then it will be allowed.
-Advanced Slob Picks

The Money:

Entry is $10. $7 goes to the cash prize, and $3 to Ralph. Ralph will provide some drinks, but please bring some! Oh yeah, you better bring any food you want to eat. Or, there's a McDonald's/ Cane's close by, so that's an option if you drive. Depending on others' willingness, we might collect more money and order pizza.

Prizes are cash. From the pot, it'll be a 55-30-10-5 split. Yes. Fourth gets money, not much be he'll still walk away with a few dollars. Also, 1st place gets to go to the local store (Wal Mart or Gameware, depending on what's open) and choose a $40 or less game for Ralph to buy him.. 2nd place will also get a free, medium, 1 topping pizza from Domino's.

The Help:

Now, we want at least 5 setups, ideally. We have one cube of our own, four tvs (two are only 13inch, so bigger would be helpful), and not really any power strips. As such, we need

- 4 cubes/ smash/ memory card
- at least one more tv
- two or three power strips
- controllers (just bring your own or one for your friends, okay?)

Ralph's may be able to get 6 setups, but that's the absolute limit.

Any drinks or food to be shared or consumed by yourself are also much appreciated.
----------------------------------------

I hope this is enough notice for people to make it. That means request off for work now. Or quit work. Drop out of school. Start begging for a ride. Save cash for money matches. I don't care, just commit to The Big Cheese, right now.

Note: I personally do not recommend quitting one's job or dropping out of school; I'm simply suggesting the options one has when faced with a smash tournament on a given date. Please use your better judgment when making such decisions.

EDIT: added more location info

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
WELL DONE RALPH.
thanx for another tourney opportunity. great notice, and tons of info so people aren't unsure from lack of info.
hopefully i can make it..but i just never know w/ work during this holiday season...i shall try though.

everyone should come. swedish system ftw.

Avery

Smash Cadet
This tourney is looking good, can't wait (if I can go). I agree with Sudai depending on where this is going to be held will determine whether I will go during break, none the less go at all.

Kudos to Ralph for hosting, and setting up.

Avery

Smash Cadet
^_^ him being online would help...but either way I'll get in touch with him sooner or later. I know him through another friend who lives down here in N.O. so hopefully that will be my ride.

Top Bottom