• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is true, Manko.

and not to beat a dead horse..but the fact marth has "difficulty" comboing at higher percents looks like it was taken right out of ken's mouth. (actually, i'm 100% positive he said that). In reality...who actuall Does combo well at high percents? Falco w/ his laser and spike, and Fox w/ his reflector....and..thats prolly about it.(and they're top tier in my book anyway)

Marth has possibly the easiest time comboing overall.
Marth probably has the easiest time KOing from combos.

Even IF he can't combo or KO well at high percents....it doesn't make a big diffy. Whats better to have...
combo to KO options at early damage....or combo to KO options at late damage?
Its a no brainer. Killing at low damage is infinitely better than having to damage your oponent twice as much before KOing.
And even AT high damage, his F.Tilt and UpTilt suffice for a lot better options than what most characters have. Maybe not better than say..Ganon, but still alot better than most characters.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
marth has his weaknesses and strengths, but i don't think should ever be called a 'broken' character, as some do refer to him as.
and i'll never accept rolling as part of my game (unless its accidental)
i'm sure there are certain situations where rolling won't get u fsmashed but you could have wavedashed instead anyway. i dont think rolling is EVER better than wding or dashing, but it can sometimes be 'gotten away with' in certain instances.
the guys in n.o. aren't professional. u shouldn't put so much faith in them.

eet

Smash Ace
Alright... Feb. 11th. weee.

Now come and lose, nubs.

ffox if you dont come to one of these i will come to your house, and i will cut you.

.. blaise, too.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
wheee feb. 11 at 1:00 pm i presume, i dont know if u updated the first post but i hope u did.
taking money matches if anyone wants to throw one up XD
im about to post about the tourney for the facebook lsu noobs.

*100 posts yay*

Joe Mamma

Smash Cadet
Zachary, LA "come down and see us sometime!&q
Oh yeah, something else I wanted to mention last time but forgot: I think it depends on the characters. Some characters, like Marth, are better at WD than other characters, like Link.

February 11th...that's three saturdays from now. I don't know how much I can improve my game in that time, but I hope it can be enough to be back on par with everyone again.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
I'm rocking the Dorf, Peach, and G&W triple threat. You know how I do. Um...Falco can come to I guess. ANyway, I might be able to come actually. My friend, who would be driving, has to know he doesnt have to debate that weekend though. I think he is like 1st or 2nd in the nation for highschool debators. SO yeah, big deal for him. Anyway yeah, whats all the fine details of the tourney like: Does it cost to enter? etc.

eet

Smash Ace
oh look on the first page, I updated it.

edit: if youre too lazy

There will be a Smash tournament at the Gameware in the Mall of Louisiana. The entry fee is only 5 dollars, and it will be best two out of three matches, double elimination. The next date is Feb 11th, 2006. The tournament starts at 1PM, but well prolly be there at like 11.

Mall of Louisiana
6401 Bluebonnet Boulevard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70836

the usual rules,

RULES:

Entry Fees:

Singles: $5

Tournament Rules:
-Double Elimination
-All matches are best of 3
-4 stock
-Ties broken by lives/percentage
-Items OFF

Stages:
-Stages limited to the 6 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks and if 2 opponenets agree.
-Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium
-Stages banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue and Termina
-Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-Double Blind pick may be called at any time

Hope to see you all there.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I'll try to make the tourney eet :). No promises though, kthxbai.
Cyphus said:
and not to beat a dead horse..but the fact marth has "difficulty" comboing at higher percents looks like it was taken right out of ken's mouth. (actually, i'm 100% positive he said that). In reality...who actuall Does combo well at high percents? Falco w/ his laser and spike, and Fox w/ his reflector....and..thats prolly about it.(and they're top tier in my book anyway)
Okay, maybe I was a bit unclear, or misworded a few things. :) Sure, a lot of characters can't combo at high percentages. What makes a difference is that Marth can't combo into a KO at high percentages. And that is a big deal. He can't just swat at the opponent. The difference between Marth and other characters at high percentage is that most other characters have short combo's that are probably more of set-ups than anything else. You cannot deny this idea.

For example:
At high percentage...All characters with good high-percentage throws that actually set-up for a possible kill or have throws that are actually powerful enough to kill the opponent are at an advantage. Marth's throws don't do **** against people at high percentage. They throw the opponent far away to where they can either jump out, or DI and tech too far away.

At high percentage...Characters with projectiles have setups to get entries for KO'ing. Sheik = needles. Falco = SHL. Doc = Pills. IC's = iceblock. Samus's projectiles are good no matter what...but...Marth has no projectile, which is bad.

At high percentage...Characters with an actual jab are at benefit. A jab on a high percentage opponent pops them up perfectly for KO's in many instances. Fox jab -> usmash grab or nair. Samus jab -> fsmash. Sheik jab -> dsmash, grab, tilt, or fair. Falco jab -> nair, fsmash, or grab. Mario Bros. jab -> aerial, smash, or grab. Falcon jab -> grab. Marth has no jab, so he loses these great set-ups. Jabs are the most effective moves in the game because of the low startup and lag. They are fast enough to stop some shield grabbing, and don't leave you too open if you miss. Quick jabs allow you to put high pressure on a close opponent while not leaving yourself very open. And, jabs with many characters set up perfectly for a lot of KO's at high percentage, so they are safe for the jabber, and have deadly potential.
Cyphus said:
Marth has possibly the easiest time comboing overall.
How so? Most of Marth's combos and low percentage KO setups are the result of terrible DI on the part of the opponent. Marth's fthrow to fsmash happens because people insist on DI'ing into Marth's throws, when they should DI away. Some people even have the bad habit when thrown offstage by Marth to DI towards Marth, then double jump into fsmash p.O; If you watch most of Marth's wins with his grab game, it is more about mindgames and mistakes of the opponent than the actual move itself. A lot of Marth's grab game is waiting for wiffed DI and tech-chasing. Though uthrow does chain on space animals, many space animals, including myself, make the mistake of not DI'ing up at around20-30%, which can actually allow you to escape in some situations. Zanguzen made an excellent post in the foxnfalco forums about DI up vs. Marth's uthrow and shining Marth after being uthrown.
Marth's fair combos are also not that realiable all the time. I find that if people DI into Marth's fair combos or don't DI them at all (O.O), Marth has a much easier time linking fair into killers like dair, fsmash, and nair. If the opponent DI's away, it makes it much more difficult for the Marth to connect with the hits.
How can Marth have the easiest time combo'ing overall? Sheik has a great grab game at all opponent percentages. Her tilt game is just stupidly good, and jabs setup beautifully for grabs at low-med percentages, and setup nicely for fair at high percentages. Fox has a shine with set-knockback that is notoriously beastly, linking into waveshine combos on many characters. Iceclimbers can combo like little mofo's themselves with their godly grab-game.
Marth really doesn't have the best combo game in my opinion.
Cyphus said:
Marth probably has the easiest time KOing from combos.
I have to disagree. He can usually only KO from combo's at medium-low to medium-high percentages. However, just look at Sheik. She combo into KO at medium-low, medium-high, and high-high percentages. Her grab game, jabs, and dtilt are just great setups at high percentages. Fox can also **** at any percentage with shinespike. Shinespike kills at low percentage and medium percentage. Uthrow uair, and jab usmash are great kills at high percentage. Iceclimbers can kill anyone at high percentage from smashing after dthrow with desynch. Iceclimbers can sure rack up the damage fast to get there too.
Cyphus said:
Even IF he can't combo or KO well at high percents....it doesn't make a big diffy. Whats better to have...
combo to KO options at early damage....or combo to KO options at late damage?
Its a no brainer. Killing at low damage is infinitely better than having to damage your oponent twice as much before KOing.
Your argument has one flaw. From my veiw you are asking the question: "Whats better to have... combo to KO options at early damage with VERY LITTLE options at high damage...or combo to KO options at late damage." If someone has low KO options and the opponent's percentage grows out of that range, then that someone will have very little options to rely on at high damage, which is well...unrealiable and therefore not good. On the other hand, if someone has high percentage KO options, then they have reassurance that if they combo the opponent during low percentage (which most characters can do more easily than comboing at high damage) to build up to high percentage, that they will have more options with which to KO the opponent. The second choice sounds more reliable and solid to me.
Cyphus said:
And even AT high damage, his F.Tilt and UpTilt suffice for a lot better options than what most characters have. Maybe not better than say..Ganon, but still alot better than most characters.
Ftilt and Uptilt are good, but it will never be as good as a throw, jab, or projectile setup into KO that other characters have. Ftilt and Uptilt usually only give KO's if they connect close to or on the tip of Marth's sword. Swatting with tilts can work, but isn't a great approach in my opinion.
Cyphus, I know that you dislike Ken, Ken's arguments in support of Marth, and playing against Marth since you don't get to play against him often, and I understand. Marth is a pain in the ass to play against sometimes, because it just seems that his range seems endless. I know that all of my ideas are just opinions that are bound to be incorrect, but I honestly don't think that Marth is as good as most people think, broken, cheap, or even gay, lol. He's pretty girly though. xD
Edit: Wow, this is the longest post I've ever posted on SWF. Over a thousand words, and all in one sitting WOAMGWTF?...I need to get a life. Now's the part where Taylor says, "Way to write a book on SWF n00b." I still love you though,
Chunks
. ;)

Joe Mamma

Smash Cadet
Zachary, LA "come down and see us sometime!&q
Panik said:
I'm rocking the Dorf, Peach, and G&W triple threat. You know how I do. Um...Falco can come to I guess. ANyway, I might be able to come actually. My friend, who would be driving, has to know he doesnt have to debate that weekend though. I think he is like 1st or 2nd in the nation for highschool debators. SO yeah, big deal for him. Anyway yeah, whats all the fine details of the tourney like: Does it cost to enter? etc.
Aw crap....I thought I was the only one who used G&W. Oh well, I'm sure he is still the least-used character, so I'll continue to use him.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Well this will be my first official tournament I will eneter. I finnally think Im ready cosidering I can kick everyone in my dorms *** and make alot of money doing it.

I will be using Falco Primarily and IC and Doc.

Im Pretty sure I will either get my *** handed to me, or do somewhat well. Either way im ready for some better competion.

RSIA

Smash Cadet
dorm? what dorm? if you go to lsu, i live in kirby smith

EDIT: this is EET...i dunno how to sign out again

Icecow

Smash Rookie
Geez, why do these things have to be on the same days as my quiz bowl tournaments? I won't be able to come to any of the mall tournaments anytime soon because I'll be at NAQT SCT in Austin on Feb.11 and at TKUWEII in Norman, OK, on Feb. 25. So I have to retire from the smash for a while until we come back to Lafayette with a few more titles. I'll come to BR as soon as I can, I promise.

----
Sword Bowl Champions, baby!

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Im in Herget right now but im thinking of moving out soon to west campus aprtments or brightside.

I wonder how noob my Doc is against Cyphus. I wanna doc ditto him to see how bad I get owned.

BTW who has the best Falco and ICs around here

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Suicide Dolls from Gulf Shores, Alabama has a good pair of Ice Climbers. His brother mains as Falco and there's probably a lot of other people with a decent one as well. I know Cyphus used Falco a little bit at Cajun Showdown

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Ya Cyphus could probly teach me alot with Doc and Falco but actually I meant who had the best faclo and IC in the Baton Rouge Area.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I was mentioning them becuase they came to the last tourney in LA. I don't know about BR as much specifically though.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Mankosuki said:
Suicide Dolls from Gulf Shores, Alabama has a good pair of Ice Climbers. His brother mains as Falco and there's probably a lot of other people with a decent one as well. I know Cyphus used Falco a little bit at Cajun Showdown
Yeah lol, Suicide Dolls' climbers own. Cyphus handed my *** to me with Falco in Lafayette, too. xD

I play teh climberz sometimes, also. I used them versus Taylor in one of the tournament finals, too. :O...but I lost.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The climbers are so much fun to play. Though Im' sure I'm not at Suicide Doll's level with them, my Climbers actually look pretty good. Atleast they don't suicide all the time like my Capt Falcon :p

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Sars_Pirate said:
The climbers are so much fun to play. Though Im' sure I'm not at Suicide Doll's level with them, my Climbers actually look pretty good. Atleast they don't suicide all the time like my Capt Falcon :p
Falcon is still sexy. But the climbers are sexie...nevermind...just no >_>;

EDIT: I'm getting distracted watching the Cajun Showdown singles. I've got a paper to write. D:
EDIT: **** Cyphus has a sexy falco.
EDIT: Okay, I'm gonna do my work now.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Cyphus's Doc rocks Corneria so hardcore. It's like, revolutionary. Down with Nintendo Revolutions...it's the Cyphus revolution.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
bleh...ur fox really should have beaten my falco, its way better, but i think u got nervous or something cuz the crazy combos u did to me earlier-kepting messing up when it should have counted most. Either way...i was embarassed by my falco that day. Its recovered back to its better self now though.
Nice arguement w/ Marth though, w/ the lack of Jab, Projectile, and Thow. They are nice points. I don't mean to say marth is broken, cuz i don't..but i still think he's top tier <_< (along w/ fox, falco, and sheik)

anyway...i dunno if i'll be coming to this first tourney...if not, deffinately the next, u know.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
OK eet I will play u (I hate fighting peaches and marths though. Makes me wanna counter with shiek)

and chances r u will probly **** me cuz i havent played enough people that r any good. Only one person I played even new advanced techniques

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Cyphus said:
bleh...ur fox really should have beaten my falco, its way better, but i think u got nervous or something cuz the crazy combos u did to me earlier-kepting messing up when it should have counted most. Either way...i was embarassed by my falco that day. Its recovered back to its better self now though.
Nice arguement w/ Marth though, w/ the lack of Jab, Projectile, and Thow. They are nice points. I don't mean to say marth is broken, cuz i don't..but i still think he's top tier <_< (along w/ fox, falco, and sheik)

anyway...i dunno if i'll be coming to this first tourney...if not, deffinately the next, u know.
Lol, SHL ***** me so badly. I'm an idiot for picking FD the second match. xD

Yeah, I think Marth's throws are only good against space animals. Lol at my gay random uthrow to tipper on your falco. Uthrow versus space-animals is probably Marth's only throw that can't be DI'd out of. The effectiveness of all his other throws are caused by wrong DI and tech chasing. (***Wait, Uthrow versus sheik works well sometimes, because it goes to the utilt chain at early damage. Sometimes sheiks jump out of it though. Is this due to a timing error on my part?)

Hope to see you at a tourney soon, Cyphus. :)

Flarefox

Smash Ace
TehPh1r3PwnzJ00 said:
flarefox is the man.
cyphus is shut down
oh!
wtf lol? falerfox r teh nub.

I've been playing around with climbers lately. I luff them. Nana's a bitch sometimes, though. :/

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I might not make it to the first tourney either since one of my (newly formed) crew members is unavailable that day. We'll probably wait for the second one.

btw, any possibility of housing for any of these? Now that you guys have all met me and stuff. It's about a 4 hour drive for me, and my crew is all in Fort Walton which adds an extra hour for them.

eet

Smash Ace
Looks like most far away ppl are coming to the 2nd one?

Oh well, Ill jus beat taylor this time.

And Idk about housing. Most of us live with crappy parents or in dorms that cant house that many ppl.

and shyguy i live at 705A and my cell is 405-7766 or my aim is humanoideric. I should be there later tonight or some tommorow. Oh and we play in the tiger lair on that tv by the arcade on tues/thurs 1030-130 also.

edit ffox is sexy and cyphus..well, FIREEEEH!!11one1

Joe Mamma

Smash Cadet
Zachary, LA &quot;come down and see us sometime!&q
That reminds me, I still haven't got the chance to match my Doc against Cyphus's. I want to see how I compare, because he is my primary character and I here he is the best Doc player in the state.

Also, to all you dorks at ULL, get ready to have your ***** handed to you at the start of the next football season, when your team plays our (mine and eets) schools team, the LSU Tigers! It's going to be a massacre! w00t!!! :laugh:

LSU -> :mad:
ULL -> :cry:

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
**** I forgot I have to take the ACT the day of the first tourney so I won't be able to make the first tourney. I swear, I'll get my *** in gear and play y'all in one of these soon. I need to find out whether or not I'm a n00b now. And yeah, Nana can be a real *****; but the ICs are so much fun to fool around with. I'm getting better at letting my opponents rack up damage on Nana alone, but I still haven't learned how to fully desynch. I really should read a guide >_>

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
You know that nana has her own health bar even though only popo's is displayed right? Racking up damage on her will just make it easier for opponents to kill her off which is generally the first thing they want to do anyway since a lone IC is much less dangerous. You want to protect both of them, not just Popo.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
ya but while ur opponet is attacing nana it gives u a perfet opprotunity to smash, dash attack, ice block, or grab with popo

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
generally with IC I play defensively wd around and shooting dasdanced hopping ice blocks
then get nanas second block to connect whlile i try to intitiate the grab from there and either chainthrow or start off some desynched nana forward d and f smaches or blizzard
then try to follow that up with a popo nutral air or down smash (very hard to master)

also abuse the wd into b air and neutral air and roll or crouch desynch and spam descyed attacks amd smashes or wd back out into defensive mode

also u can wavedash into a down smash ( which i see most IC players do)

and finally theres the dash attack into up tilts and jumping up As or up smashes

as far as edge gaurding theres desynched nana blizarrd into popo fsmash or just fmash or dsmash or desynced ice blocks or even forward or down tilts

Panik

Smash Journeyman
ok..screw the official thread I made for L.A. Tourneys. This is basically it in case you havn't noticed. This is where all the smash hobos in LA meet to talk about Popo and such, so I guess it is the official hangout thread.

Top Bottom