• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

SSEddie13

Smash Cadet
NNID
sseddie13
3DS FC
5429-9107-2527
Eddie, I was lagging like hell when we played earlier today. Sucked balls.

Lee, that was a fun match even though you were lagging like hell. XP I didn't notice any lag at all. Maybe lag can be experienced by one person but not the other?
Thats strange... I didn't have any lag at all. So I guess it can be one sided lag. That kinda sucks.

D

Deleted member

in response to lee's post, you know the things you said about melee arent true. the only combos that are truly programed are the same ones that work in brawl (fair, fsmash with marth, up tilt + up air), in melee smash di breaks programmed combos. you have to be truely original with the moves you use, and combos actually exist (even at high %s). marth cant up throw 0-death combo on fox unless the fox makes mistakes. in brawl, there are hardly any combos. only at low %s can you combo. after that its just who is best at not getting hit. the game becomes a bunch of smashes or auto canceled aerials to try and finish. the winner is who doesnt get hit, while melee has tons more aspects that play into winning. mindgames, tech skill, edge gaurding, combos, and the occasional random smash atk or strong laggy aerial ftw.
after playing melee today i decided i dont care about brawl. to me, its the game to get drunk and play with your friends, while melee is the game to compete at. brawl is like an old school fighter game thats just about hitting your opponent. i like technical fighters and thats why i choose melee.

now, after my profound choice of melee, ill still play in brawl tournaments for fun, or random friendlies when everyone else is playing, but never actually pursuing brawl play.

one thing i do enjoy in brawl (still not more than melee), but i like teams. since theres a lack of most combos teams adds another aspect with chaining atks with your teamate that i rly enjoy. like i said, i still dont prefer it over melee, but if im playing brawl id rather play teams.

blah, no flames please; only educated responses will be heeded.

/end

MisterZ

Smash Rookie
from what i think is an objective perspective i would say that at the end of the day melee is a much deeper game. i believe it was designed that way. if you think about it many aspects of melee were removed from brawl and end up serving only one purpose: to make brawl require less skill to master. examples. wavedash was purposefully removed, L cancelling was purposely removed, sweet spotting the edge is automatic(even with grapples.. wtf) sweet spots on hit boxes dont make nearly the difference they did in mellee, the list goes on and on. furthermore many of the movement options were removed (wave dashing obviously, dash dancing "fo no reason", directional airdodging, CCing a dash, etc)

there are however some aspects which may be known but not to me (response may be in order) how much affect does DI have? does smash DI exist? can you ledge cancel aerials, powershielding - does it reflect projectiles, if so with reduced damageknockback or what how many frames of error do you have? things like that.. i dont know/ maybe someone else does. w/e.

the point is that there are undoubtedly things about brawl which could be mastered by the more skilled player which are perhaps even completely unkown to the unskilled brawler but facts are facts and by the simple nature of the game, brawl is intended to apeal to a larger audience of less skilled players.

the only question (in my mind) is if that is a good thing or a bad thing for each person individually. for me the answer is a loud and clear NO. its same reason i didnt dig naruto (which has some depth but not nearly that of melee, much like brawl appears to be)

the argument that we dont know yet enough about brawl to make this claim is to me simply wrong. read the first paragraph again. seriously to edge hog you walk of the stage and then press toward the stage...

because im so undeniably awesome but more relevantly correct, i have only one thing to say to anyone who disagrees with me

"COME ON!"

D

Deleted member

very well said freddy. you cant argue with the facts, its just a matter of what type of game appeals to you more. a less or more technical approach. well done.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
dont get me wrong but i like brawl. the only thing i hate about it is how slow everything is. has anyone tried playing on heavy gravity? it kinda feels like normal melee, without wavedashing, etc.

btw, good games lee. i got pwned lol. after jigs (which was like the first 4 fights) my lil bro was playing and he got owned hard. i was just laughing at him getting owned while i was playing wc3 bc he talk so much **** about he gona pwn anyone he plays online.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Got aim? And prolly not for me tonight either, since I have exams tomorrow. Also, I didn't add anyone's FC yet because my comp doesn't have a printer so I'll have to write them down later. xD
I don't have AIM downloaded but I could use AIM express...whenever I went to get my computer cleaned of viruses at dibbz the workers there told me it was bad for your computer to download AIM...so I haven't redownloaded since. :ohwell: I think my AIM name is B13lion haven't gotten on in a while but I'll try to check it tonight if I have time

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
and I also just wanted to comment on the wave dash removal...I know it was cool and all and I use to do it to...but it was a glitch NOT intended by Nintendo for people to use....taking advantage of a glitch does not make you pro

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
I also think the removal of the directional airdodging makes the game harder and it forces you to have more skill and timing when you use your airdodge, don't get me wrong, I was upset at first too because that took away my extra little distance away from my Link grapple hook recovery and it makes it alot harder for me to dodge attacks...but in the long run I think it takes more skill to time the new airdodge method.

last night I played for the first time not multi-player with a friend of mine and I found the game to be not that much slower than melee... I think there is somewhat of constant lag online when you don't realize it and it just slows the whole game down...but then again maybe it's just me, cause I play with Link and I'm use to him being slow.

Triple post FTW!!!!

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
dude there are manyyyyyy programmed combos in melee. im not just talking about marth. jigs sex kick to rest. sheik and marths grab range are programmed combos in itself. foxs chainthrow, marths chainthrow, peachs chainthrow, ice climbers chainthrow. melee is just broken it general. sure i love melee but im sick of how easy it is. i think brawls harder than game anyday just because we dont know everything about it yet. brawl definetely has combos bc ive already come up with a bunch that actually work. i think there is still a lot we dont know about this game and i think you should give it more of a chance. marth is also twice as boring in brawl as in melee. you'd like it a lot more if you tried a bunch of new characters bc it just seems much more unique than the game ive been playing for 7 years. it's a really balanced game and even if they took out a lot of the tech things thats a big part of what actually makes it balanced. any character can win and you dont have to pick somebody whos top tier.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
About powershielding: it's easier to do, but you don't reflect projectiles. I have seen a projectile deflect upwards from my shield though.

very well said freddy. you cant argue with the facts, its just a matter of what type of game appeals to you more. a less or more technical approach. well done.
Haha, I think that's Tim. Hooray for the same avatar.

eet

Smash Ace
I think you guys are dismissing brawl too early. The game just came out a week ago. It's true it isn't melee, but rather it's a different fighting game altogether. Since its a different fighting game, you have to learn a whole new perception of how to play. And to me the fun part for right now is just discovering the new combos, cancels, approaches, edgeguarding or recovery methods and general strategies. I kind of enjoy that as opposed to general technical skill, its a more character-specific tech game.

And as far as comboing, you could say there are less but its more like youre too lazy or incompetent(insofar as brawl knowledge lol) and cant do them. I would say the same for 64s engine, but when you watch isai play he combos everyone 0-death.

I thought more of you would be interested in enjoying and dissecting brawls physics and gameplay. I think one of the best additions is the ridiculous knockback system. If you use a move twice, you pretty much cant KO with it until they're way high, because the knockback is so reduced. This means one character can play in different ways based on the map, and character matchup. For instance, if youre fighting Kirby, instead of using upair to combo, save it to KO off the top at low %s.

anyway, misterz is tim not freddy, taylor.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
dude there are manyyyyyy programmed combos in melee. im not just talking about marth. jigs sex kick to rest. sheik and marths grab range are programmed combos in itself. foxs chainthrow, marths chainthrow, peachs chainthrow, ice climbers chainthrow. melee is just broken it general. sure i love melee but im sick of how easy it is. i think brawls harder than game anyday just because we dont know everything about it yet. brawl definetely has combos bc ive already come up with a bunch that actually work. i think there is still a lot we dont know about this game and i think you should give it more of a chance. marth is also twice as boring in brawl as in melee. you'd like it a lot more if you tried a bunch of new characters bc it just seems much more unique than the game ive been playing for 7 years. it's a really balanced game and even if they took out a lot of the tech things thats a big part of what actually makes it balanced. any character can win and you dont have to pick somebody whos top tier.
Coming from someone who played an amazing Samus and switched to top tier just to stay in the game, I appreciate this response. This is how I feel about brawl. It's balanced and I want a game that's all about not getting hit, not playing a top tier character technically. Brawl is all about who is the more intelligent player and reading your opponent correctly more often than him. I definitely think the game will pick up as we learn to improve the off edge game because it seems pretty obvious to me that was direction it was supposed to go in.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I think Brawl is more fun for me. So I guess Ill play that. Although I want to play a few Melee matches right now cause playing Brawl makes me feel like Im SOOOOO slow.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
i dont get to play with people in real life much, but playing online makes me play brawl less and less.

i already unlocked every challenge except for all trophies and stickers. so i really got nothing else to do beside practice against lvl 9 which i think are very easy. everyone say they are hard but mines are very easy?

-Ran

Smash Master
I try not to be too analytical of the depth of a game after a week or so. However... >>

1) Rolling -> Shield -> Rolling -> is far too easy. There's so little lag in it. @.@ It's easy to just run like a opportunistic coward. =p

2) Marth is boring. His sword is shorter, his tip is a lie, and his priority is no longer greater than most. Many characters have gained disjointed hit boxes on more moves, and so Marth's main draws are dwindling away. People yell about him being broken still [casuals the most], but he's far from the Top tier that people think he is. It's just that since his air game was buffed, people think he's awesome. Since running away is so easy now on the ground, it'll become harder to be Marth once people get a handle on it.

3) Melee hardwired most to short hop->attack->double down-> l cancel for better attacks. It feels to me that Brawl is less of an air game, at least in the initial intention. Very few characters seem to have decent Dairs that can override priority of incoming attacks. It's very hard to get to the ground once you're in the air. It seems that the 'punish moves' aren't going to be the horizontal smashes, but uptilts/up throws that will lead to juggles.

4) Meta Knight is an annoying character. His short hop is awesome, and his height rules out most attacks against him in a standing position. His down A has a greater range than most of Marth's tips, and his normal attacks are all marginally less than Marth's. His moves are blessed with priority and few start up frames, so you can't use any 'tells' to know what's coming. Meta Sheik ftl.

5) Snake, I will find a use for him yet. I've been having a lot of fun with his grenades at the moment. So many things that can be done with him. His air game is total crap out though. He has so little DI that once he's caught in a juggle, the most you can do is pull out a grenade to save yourself.

6) Level 9 computers just act differently, and avoid being launched into the air often enough. They shield, and roll a good bit, and so if you play them aggressively you won't fair as well as if you'd use a defensive style.

-

Personally, I know that I need to change how I play. I'm far too aggressive for Brawl. I partially blame that on playing casuals most of the time, where I can beat them at the tip of a hat. I don't shield enough, I don't dodge enough, and I don't drop into a turtle style enough. I'm always moving forwards, even when I'm falling from the sky. =p

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Personally, I know that I need to change how I play. I'm far too aggressive for Brawl. I partially blame that on playing casuals most of the time, where I can beat them at the tip of a hat. I don't shield enough, I don't dodge enough, and I don't drop into a turtle style enough. I'm always moving forwards, even when I'm falling from the sky. =p
That's kinda how I am. Brawl won't be something that a person can play too agressively, especially against sonics. Now, I'm focusing on finding counterpicks. I've got a theory that TLink counters D3 and Sheik counters Sonic. I'm not as sure about the Sheik/Sonic matchup, but I find that Sheik's grabs and Dsmash are a good way to handle Sonic's speed.

Sudai

Stuff here
I definitely like Brawl better due to the sheer uniqueness of characters. It makes you think more and act less like a robot in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Melee is great and I'd gladly play that anyday, but if I have a choice, it's gonna be brawl.

Anyway.. Next week is spring break. My girlfriend is going to her Grandma's in Mississippi for the week. This means I'm gonna be going brawl with people all ****ed week probably. It'd be cool if we could get a brawlfest or something going since it's been a week and we haven't had one yet! (zomg, wtf?)

Gnuf, where do you live in BR? I might be able to come out and school you~ ; P Kidding. I suck at this game.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
uh...this is opinion...in other words, which is to say is how it should be.
Random:
Battlefield, FD, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville

Counters:
Delfino, Frigate, Stadium 2, Castle Siege, SkyWorld, Corneria, Brinstar, Stadium 1

i'm rathering brawl as well lately. Brawl is the "3rd Strike" of Melee.

Granted there are some near-impossible matchups (try beating a banana-whoring diddy w/ ganon)...thats not anything new to the smash scene (see bowser vs any high tier).
For the most part, alot of the "better" characters in brawl can be dealt with as long as you know your enemy in and out.
Wolf players spam his forward and down smash. Once you learn to call it, just a simple sidestep is all it takes to punish him however u want. Marth's range is less effective thanks to the new airdodging system, and thanks to the attacks-dramatically-weakening, you cant rely on a few attacks to win.

But with each tool you can use against high tiers, thats another tool they can still use against lower tiers, so in the end the tiers will be defined, but its nice to know this game is more about the player than the character. Its not about who has the better pressure game anymore, its about who can approach and defend the best, because there is no universal, abusable offense (the shuffle).
Dashing is slower, and grab ranges suck...its nearly impossible to tech chase. You have to tech-guess and you still may not be able to reach them in time.

I'm still maining DlckClimbers. yea, their grab is probably the most powerful thing in the game of brawl to our knowledge. (50% on most characters from 0, or sole-popo chainthrow across level) They're still horrible in the air, light, and suck at edgeguarding and recovering. You cant fight them like every other character, in fact...i find you have to fight every character in the game a little different. This game is NOT about using the same wavedash and shuffle approaches against every character. In the end though, this leads to probably stronger counter-characters. Range or shere speed can keep them from getting grabs though. Ice seem to have a noticable advantage on some characters (like most of the presumed high tiers), but i cant see them countering any of the other hightiers themselves, since they have more options in most every situation.

after ice though, my 2nds are DK and Olimar/DDD. DDD, in general, is an overrated heavy weight. Big, slow targets always suck, no johns. Olimar is almost random-tier w/ his varying pikmin attack-effects. Overall, def not top tier. DK is probably the best heavyweight this time. He's got good reach and power, and better recovery than given credit. He just sucks against projectiles like every other big character. Small characters are annoying too, because his b.air goes over their head (so i should work on D.tilting more, i think)

Olimar is pretty stupid, no johns. He's deffinately the n00biest character in brawl. I can't even explain why...he just requires very little thinking. You just play keep away w/ pikmin, and try to attack w/ them right outside their range. No apprent complications to his game outside keeping track of which pikmin is next in line for your attacks. (but not that it mattters, cuz you dont have 5 seconds to mix up the order anyway), you basically use the 'move' you need to do disregarding which pikmin it is.

Lee's sonic...Seems like he's using him correctly and to a great deal of his potential. Sonic seems to be the only character who can effectively tech chase, and he might have the closest thing to a 'pressure game' in brawl, since he can literally overwhelm a character; virtually all his attacks he turns into a ball anyway, and he's extremely hard to intercept. Looks better of a character the more i see.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i just won like 7 with anyone matches in a row with meta,fox,pit and gw, its good to see that now that i have the basics of brawl gameplay down i can still win against noobs using basic smash knowledge. i now see that this game is competitive by the fact that lee can still pwn everyone, it shows that there is skill needed for this game and good players will still be good, meele's best players will probly be the best at this game too ken,azen,isai.... Brawl is different than meele but it doesnt make it anyless fun or competitive... the question is do u want to play it? i do and i want to get better, no one knows how deep this game is or how people will be playing it in a few years but i want be part of that process...

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I think Brawl is way better than Melee. It's way more balanced and we're seeing a usual five characters that everyone needs to play in order to win anymore. It's giving more variety to everyone and it's getting many more people into it. I say just give it a little more time. It's only been a week since the game came out.

Anyway.. Anyone wanna play right now or something? I really want to. =[

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Brawl 's an amazing game, but Melee will always be my favorite for no real reason except that it was the best challenge I've ever had in a game. I'm competitive by nature. Even before I learned aout Melee's competitive scene, I'd always wanted to be better than everyong else at most games, but Melee especially. I guess Melee was special because it was a game I never got bored with. And when I actually discovered that Melee was competitive, I was elated. Melee had two levels, and that made me happy. To tell the truth, Melee is the first game I've ever felt had a real purpose. Simple stuff like how Melee was unbalanced, how old it was, how "glitchy and exploited" it was never mattered to me, in fact, I would've never come to think of it as that kind of game until people started to point it out.

I guess the only thing I can do is apply my competetitive mentality to Brawl, but i know it'll be bittersweet. I trained way too intensely with Melee and Brawl doesn't seem to live up to the challenge-of-mastery I need to be satisfied with it.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
taylor from erics house-
yeah, 3rd strike of smash. i dont play 3rd strike, because its no melee. (too simple gameplay for my taste)

yall can tell me im wrong all day, but you wont convince me to like the game. im not trying to sway your opinions at all; but, in 6th months when everyone gets bored; ill be glad to play melee with everyone again (cept vaughn because he still wont want to play melee).

and for the record, i dont care they took out wavedaash. it's everything else.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
i realistically dont think ill ever get tired of brawl. im not trying to start an argument in any way or anything. its just that this game is a lot different than melee. i just think melees a stupid game when it comes down to it and once you master all those techniques thats pretty much it. surprisingly the more i play brawl the better i get at it. it doesnt seem to be nearly as limited as i originally thought. i dont know if you really only tried marth in brawl but its really fun when you learn a bunch of characters. completely new mindgames and not the programmed combos. i just think you should give it a little more of a chance.

ps. i love you(taylor)

Entreri

Smash Cadet
We've got to play together sometime Lee. I really like Brawl too, and I don't know who the "everyone" is that Taylor is saying will be bored of Brawl.

Final Thought: I don't care what you say, you can't convince me not to like the game.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
setsuma, i only play dota now. but i been playing dota ever since RoC.

sudai, i live off of sherwood infront of the laser place. ill be glad to school you. lol. i havent really found a character that i like yet. i havent explored the characters yet, but i do play very well with ROB.

So far i only looked into ROB, Jigg, Ganon, Olimar, Luigi, Pit, and Lucas. I need more players to play with, online play just doesnt cut it.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Omg, Lucario is too good. He can actually combo and his uptilt, upthrow, and uair make up a loving family that will kick butt. shdf ftw

Battousai780

Smash Ace
-edit-

Sorry for double post, my internet screwed up. But anyways Lucario also has that cool chaingrab and if you shield an attack and double jump right after, you do a footstool jump on the opponent head and you can immediately do a dair. Amazing.

D

Deleted member

We've got to play together sometime Lee. I really like Brawl too, and I don't know who the "everyone" is that Taylor is saying will be bored of Brawl.

Final Thought: I don't care what you say, you can't convince me not to like the game.
thank you kyle, which is why i didnt specifically say i wasnt trying to convince anyone not to like brawl or anything. and i didnt say people would get tired of it after a week, thanks. you should read things more carefully kyle.

but yeah lee, it's cool. i do play other chars as well. if i am playing brawl my favorite to play is lucas. my best is still probably marth, but i can preform decent with about 1/3 of the cast. i just prefer melee's speed and technicality. i understand its a new game that is totally new for those who got tired of melee; but i never did. i still love melee, and prefer it; not that people shouldnt play brawl or anything, we'll just wait and see what happens.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to send Stage Builder stages to other people?
yes, you just move over to the stage you want to send, press down to go to the bottom menu and go over to the send button...but I think you may need there Wii Code too...the only thing I sent so far was a replay of me with Pika shutting out someone's Capton Falcon on 4 stock on this thread...not gonna mention any names...you know who you are :laugh:
I just sent it to my good friend Chris who is from here but moved to Texas after Katrina and I've been having his Wii Code since like the first day the Wii came out cause we both pre-ordered it. And don't worry that was the only person I sent it to and that's my best friend of like 10 years and he use to main Pika on Smash 64, but then he switched to Marth on melee cause Pika sucked in Melee...so I just wanted to show him what Pika was rolling with in Brawl.

Sage2050

Smash Cadet
taylor from erics house-
yeah, 3rd strike of smash. i dont play 3rd strike, because its no melee. (too simple gameplay for my taste)

yall can tell me im wrong all day, but you wont convince me to like the game. im not trying to sway your opinions at all; but, in 6th months when everyone gets bored; ill be glad to play melee with everyone again (cept vaughn because he still wont want to play melee).

and for the record, i dont care they took out wavedaash. it's everything else.
6 months? there's a reason people still play 3rd strike even though it's almost 10 years old. going from Melee to Brawl is like going from Alpha 3 to 3rd Strike.

Top Bottom