• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

eet

Smash Ace
i think part of the intial fun will be discovering all the new techs...and then perhaps more fun will come from utilizing them and being awesome (like melee is now..)

I dunno, Im just a Smash Lord....what do I know =p

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Eh.. I believe Taylor intends to give it a shot. If he doesn't like it, then he doesn't like it. Part of the fun will be discovering the new stuff that's in there. And who knows? It could play out later to be pretty advanced. But like I said, it's his decision. At least he intends to give it a shot. It's like how I decided not to play Pump anymore, so I can see where he's coming from.

And it's sad, but we'll probably have to cancel the tourney. :(

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I'd think I'd much prefer a game that isn't so much technical based as it is mind based. A game where it doesn't really matter whether or not you know all the proper combos etc. but rather that you're smart and constantly reading your opponent correctly and reacting correctly. But I dunno, it may turn out to suck. I won't be showing up at gameware for a tournament. I have an itch, and brawl's the scratch. I'll go to the gamestop midnight tournament tomorrow night and then hole up Sunday.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
I'd think I'd much prefer a game that isn't so much technical based as it is mind based. A game where it doesn't really matter whether or not you know all the proper combos etc. but rather that you're smart and constantly reading your opponent correctly and reacting correctly. But I dunno, it may turn out to suck. I won't be showing up at gameware for a tournament. I have an itch, and brawl's the scratch. I'll go to the gamestop midnight tournament tomorrow night and then hole up Sunday.
you just described melee my freind, all it is is high speed chess, now its very slow sleep chess.. sigh : / ill give it a shot though.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I have no input, I was just wondering if the word testicles gets asterisked. Wish me luck.

EDIT: That's weird. ****** gets blocked, but not that. This board is sexist.

-Ran

Smash Master
The only good memory I have of Brawl at the moment is when my friend exclaimed:

"They gap between us has shrunk!" - As he won with Pit.
[We were doing 1 stock matches to unlock things.... The next few matches involved perfects, as he complained about how 'broken and unfair' Marth is.]

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
HAHA SILLY N00BS. Its seems yall can't handle to slowness that is Melee. Oh well. When I become the best fighter in Arizona and/or Lousiana, everyone will scream Nytetime in the day, Nytetime in the evening, Nytetime in the twilight, Nytetime in the dawn, and Nytetime at Night.

My blade and my Twisties will caress every unshielded foe and grab through every vulnerability. Why you ask? Because on a warm summer night, in the San Francisco Bay, almost 20 years ago, a Dragon was born with a mission to overcome all, to become a leader with no will to stop, and to caress every foe with his elegant weaponry. He looks to the bright skies everyday and squints at the brightness, for he knows when the sun sets...

It's Nytetime!

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
HAHA SILLY N00BS. Its seems yall can't handle to slowness that is Melee. Oh well. When I become the best fighter in Arizona and/or Lousiana, everyone will scream Nytetime in the day, Nytetime in the evening, Nytetime in the twilight, Nytetime in the dawn, and Nytetime at Night.

My blade and my Twisties will caress every unshielded foe and grab through every vulnerability. Why you ask? Because on a warm summer night, in the San Francisco Bay, almost 20 years ago, a Dragon was born with a mission to overcome all, to become a leader with no will to stop, and to caress every foe with his elegant weaponry. He looks to the bright skies everyday and squints at the brightness, for he knows when the sun sets...

It's Nytetime!
Dragon or not, don't look into the sun. It ruins your vision.

D

Deleted member

i really need to learn not to read nicknyte's posts.

thanks vaughn, and yes; i do intend to play brawl, i just dont expect much from it.

so im not getting my hopes up or anything but theres a possible tourney at gameware for melee if we can get 16 ppl. add to the list for a chance at a free copy of brawl:

1.me
2.vaughn
3.kyle
4.patrick
6.johnny
7.eric
8.freddy?
maybe a couple noobs. ken? sudai? dsk? nick? iceman?

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Upon reading Taylor's post, Nicknyte has a sudden urge to battle. But this was not any ordinary urge, this was an urge that even the Norse Gods would speak of! Thor and Odin would marvel at this urge for battle and even Valhalla itself would stop fighting to see the awe that radiated from the Dragon, for he was to fight another Dragon.

However, this Dragon was no ordinary dragon.

This Dragon was from the South, and he fought against many others, destroying any hope that his opponent had. The Dragon of the West was nervous, but skilled enough to take on the Dragon of the South without fear. He waited for the day that when the two Dragons would fight each other. Their meeting was fated more than a week away, but the breath of the South Dragon felt close to the neck of the West Dragon, impatient and ready for battle.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
you just described melee my freind, all it is is high speed chess, now its very slow sleep chess.. sigh : / ill give it a shot though.
Chess is supposed to be played slow. xD

But anyways, I think we aren't giving it enough time to evolve. I mean, the masses haven't even gotten it yet and I think a whole slew of new techs will be discovered. If not, then back to melee. Amirite?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm tired of talking about brawl.

me and lee played it a lil in new orleans yesterday.

nicknyte...i used to like to think of the world in anime terms, too...i was "Cyphus" and i had my own "moves"...but that was 8th grade....why didn't u grow out of it?
but..its totally cool to have the maturity and sense of humor of a 12 yr old...but just don't expect anyone to respect you. its a double edged sword, my friend...people shouldn't take you seriously when ur joking...but they also wont take u serious when you'r not joking. u can't have your cake and eat it too.
the world is judgemental, and u gotta have a lil depth to change with it. i probably have the exact same perception of you now, as i had the first hour i met you.

btw, at TX, me, lee, and forward, were talking about you, and then started saying, "nicknyte!", a bunch, and laughing our ***** off,

(commas are sexy)

D

Deleted member

so i win a free copy of brawl.. although i feel bad because it was a melee tourney not a brawl one. we'll have a brawl tourney with the br smashers tomorrow and see what would have happened. melee results:
1. taylor
2. vaughn
3. eric (forfieted to vaughn)
4. patrick (also forfieted to vaughn)
5. johnny
5. nick s.
other than that it's a bunch of noobs that im not going to list.

i think the results were really accurate though, aside from the forfeits. top 5 too accurate.
18 ppl entered.

-Ran

Smash Master
So, I played Brawl again tonight [so about 16 hours to total play time] and the game is slowly growing on me. My friend ended up picking up a Wii for me [I forgot to tell him not too] sooo, looks like I'll be getting Brawl since I had to pay my friend for the Wii. xD

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
i'm tired of talking about brawl.

me and lee played it a lil in new orleans yesterday.

nicknyte...i used to like to think of the world in anime terms, too...i was "Cyphus" and i had my own "moves"...but that was 8th grade....why didn't u grow out of it?
but..its totally cool to have the maturity and sense of humor of a 12 yr old...but just don't expect anyone to respect you. its a double edged sword, my friend...people shouldn't take you seriously when ur joking...but they also wont take u serious when you'r not joking. u can't have your cake and eat it too.
the world is judgemental, and u gotta have a lil depth to change with it. i probably have the exact same perception of you now, as i had the first hour i met you.

btw, at TX, me, lee, and forward, were talking about you, and then started saying, "nicknyte!", a bunch, and laughing our ***** off,

(commas are sexy)
Lol, I don't live my life in Anime terms...whatever that is. To avoid another war on this thread, I will respond to this post, which should have been in PM, only once, and retort that as long as my namesake (Nicknyte) has made me money, in which it has as my professional business the Nicknyte Corporation (c)2005-2008, I have every right reason and enjoyment to promote such things unless I deem it unnecessary.

We've had this discussion before Cyphus, and although you are interested in the psychiatry that goes on in other people's heads, I will tell you that people who respect me are true friends. This includes Freddy, Eric, and Vaughn. They know when I need to be serious. I am having fun when I say silly things like "Nytetime" and "Nytespikes" because I am truly happy when I say it. Of course, there will be others who will get tired of this and tell me to stop. I will respectably, but not for someone who thinks I am going through some anime phase and think I should have gotten out of this "phase" a long time ago.

I don't give a care what uniform way the world works. As long as I am happy, and I can continue living on with my happy, overtly bombastic, brazen, yet corny attitude. Maturity is the most overrated thing I have ever seen. It is okay to present yourself in a responsible demeanor in front of important people, such as bosses and at interviews.

However, this is a game of fighting, not one of business. So please, for the sake of me not having to talk about this again with you, deal with my nonsense, and learn that maturity comes from me when it is needed, such as now.

I don't need people telling me to be what I am not. If I have a job, and if I have a home, and if I am living my life happily, why do I need to demand respect when I never ask for it? You can keep your respect for me. Apparently, the double edged sword you described has never affected me in any way.

I will speak no more of this topic unless it is in PM.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
think of brawl as a new drug ur taking.... at first u may not like it but the more open u are about it the more u will like it

try to think of smash in general then remember that meele and brawl are 2 different games but their both smash... try to forget about everything u learned about meele and think of it as just another game in the smash series...

(no i do not condone drug use)

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I agree with shyguy. Although the Physics are diffy, the controls are just about the same. I say deal with the physics. Play the game for fun, which a lot of smashers forgot to do along the road of trying the be the best.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
right, althouh i would say some peoples idea of fun would be being the best. Fun and competiveness go hand-in-hand...

but ya brawl isnt meele, its brawl, its a NEW smash brothers game, it comes out tomorow...

i dunno, even if i hate brawl im still going to like it for being a new game(that may sound shallow but i have my reasons), im ready for anything

the final verdict will be does brawl deserve to be called super smash brothers.... it will be determined by me after playing the game a certain amount of time, it wont have anything to do with meele(only that meele perfected smash so making a sequal is a tough task) but i dunno this is sakuri were talking about so i do have faith.. if the game is good it will proby be determined by me in some random match where i declare this game is awsome, if that doesnt happen then ill pretend that it happens.... ;)

D

Deleted member

vaughn got a copy, so we were able to play american brawl tonight

IN MY OPINION: (so kyle doesnt flame me like he seems to enjoy doing)

brawl is what i expected.
brawl will be fun for a while. hey, it's a new fighting game; we're always getting new ones to try out (brawl, naruto). but like naruto, i think brawl will be fun, but then get old. i dont think it has much competitive value. sure, you can compete at any game you choose to, but the sheer depth of the game seems to leave you wanting more (or myself atleast).

no l-cancel (i do so anyway out of habit and not to lose melee skill)
no wavedash (i jump and airdodge constantly out of habit)
no crouch cancel !!
virtually no dash dance (chars can dance at about half what shiek did in melee; virtually useless),
no ledge invincibility abuse (EASY to get on the ledge, but hard to get off?)
sweet spots unnecessary (auto grab),
you have to push shield down all the way (ANNOYING, i constantly dont shield when intended),
roll is very slow
no buffer roll or buffer dodge
c- stick tilts annoy me (although this is a personal thing). you can no longer hit the stick slightly to do a move, which is what i did in melee. you have to slam it to do a smash atk, or move it solidly to do a tilt. just a slight movement doesnt do anything. i messed up alot of moves this way.
im sure there is more but i forgot and didnt play for a ridiculous amount of time.

the only thing i liked was the surplus of moves that auto cancel, making for (not as many), but still some comboing.

for an (im sure) much more in depth analysis of the lack of depth to the game, check out m2ks post about his disappointments as well.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=41341001

no flames, this is my opinion.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
lol m2k, ya i imagine i will have a similar opinion, i already pretty much know what to expect... i guess ill just wait till i play it... ive already condintioned myself to play it as a new game without comparing it to melee at all...

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Lol, I don't live my life in Anime terms...whatever that is. To avoid another war on this thread, I will respond to this post, which should have been in PM, only once, and retort that as long as my namesake (Nicknyte) has made me money, in which it has as my professional business the Nicknyte Corporation (c)2005-2008, I have every right reason and enjoyment to promote such things unless I deem it unnecessary.

We've had this discussion before Cyphus, and although you are interested in the psychiatry that goes on in other people's heads, I will tell you that people who respect me are true friends. This includes Freddy, Eric, and Vaughn. They know when I need to be serious. I am having fun when I say silly things like "Nytetime" and "Nytespikes" because I am truly happy when I say it. Of course, there will be others who will get tired of this and tell me to stop. I will respectably, but not for someone who thinks I am going through some anime phase and think I should have gotten out of this "phase" a long time ago.

I don't give a care what uniform way the world works. As long as I am happy, and I can continue living on with my happy, overtly bombastic, brazen, yet corny attitude. Maturity is the most overrated thing I have ever seen. It is okay to present yourself in a responsible demeanor in front of important people, such as bosses and at interviews.

However, this is a game of fighting, not one of business. So please, for the sake of me not having to talk about this again with you, deal with my nonsense, and learn that maturity comes from me when it is needed, such as now.

I don't need people telling me to be what I am not. If I have a job, and if I have a home, and if I am living my life happily, why do I need to demand respect when I never ask for it? You can keep your respect for me. Apparently, the double edged sword you described has never affected me in any way.

I will speak no more of this topic unless it is in PM.
:] I'm exactly the same way. And while some people totally disrespect me, it's fine because I do have good friends who like me because I DO act that way. As long as your having fun, that's all that matters.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Hey, Battousai, you going to the midnight sale in Lakeside?
I actually have it preordered at Gamestop in Esplenade. (which now Im kicking myself for since I cant pick it up until 11 tomorrow)

but I least I don't have to wake up early or anything.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
i think brawl will be rly awesome, and in time a technical aspect of the game might occur, but if its not, im still going to play melee.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
i think brawl will be rly awesome, and in time a technical aspect of the game might occur, but if its not, im still going to play melee.
I think that if I SHFF in brawl, Im still going to L-cancel since it wont hurt and I wont lose being able to do it ya know?

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I actually have it preordered at Gamestop in Esplenade. (which now Im kicking myself for since I cant pick it up until 11 tomorrow)

but I least I don't have to wake up early or anything.
I made the same **** mistake and preordered it from a gamestop that wasn't doing a midnight release. I went to a tournament tonight though, it was single elimination, battlefield only, all items on, wiimote and nunchuck only, oh yeah, and it was 1 minute points match. It was hilarious, we all sucked at using a totally different control scheme and could only choose one character at the very beginning. I went with Lucas and he's every bit as awesome as I was hoping he would be. I got to the semifinals and was knocked out by a pretty decent Pit. That character's got it going on. Such a shame, I was one win away from being in the final matchup. We had to stand outside and got called it 2 names at a time, and so the crowd was huddled around the front of the building watching through the glass. Shouting at every smash/FS/death, it was fantastic and a helluva lot of fun. There was 64 people at the gamestop on college, and a couple people said it was roughly the same amount at the other ones. I am completely blown away at how popular smash is, among tourney***s and casual scrubs alike, it's fantastic.

Well, that was my Brawl experience so far, it was a lot of fun. Even I wind up not enjoying it as much, it was a great night and the only time I've ever had such a unique experience on a game's release. It's always just been "oh, it's that day, lemme go to best buy" or "yah, i'll pick that up in a few months when it drops the 40 bucks".

It's such a shame that the people I know here in BR are not down for 4 player FFAs, because I think with more stages and items, brawl will shine at being a fun party game cause I definitely don't like having to concentrate or take it seriously. We should do drinking game brawl, loser sits out (if there's more than 4 people) and winner takes a shot.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Brawl is awesome. Now, I'm sure I'll be over at my friend's house using his internet to play online every saturday =D

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
i think brawl is good.

and marth is def not top tier, i think mario is alot better than marth tbh. falco is good, king ddd is good, kirby "suprised?" i think is pretty good, metaknight is rly good, luigi is amazing, link sucks, yoshi sucks, the length of how long it takes to get wolf sucks, other than that c falco is cool, and i havent rly played the rest.

Top Bottom