• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Okuser

Smash Ace
The pr should be cut down to top 5. Based on tournament results prior, the pr should be as follows.
1.Lee
2.Jnig
3.BSP
4.brawlman1000
5.Gunner
Your top 5 is accurate, but is in NO WAY supported by tournament results.

Specifically because gunner will randomly lose to unranked players in tournaments and **** up his results LOL

And also that #5 spot is SO contentious that it's not even worth having a top 5

:phone:

D

Deleted member

assuming we're not going off tournament results, hyro should be in there. but if he starts going to tournaments again it will be so soon enough.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I'd have no problem with Hyro being on there.
But yeah Roni lost to Jonathaon at his second tourney, so that obviously didn't effect anything about the PR.

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Hyro can still beat everyone on the pr up to jnig when he wants. If he were to come back, definate 3rd. As of now everyone on the pr can be beaten, except jnig and lee.

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Byron is a bit literal when it comes to smashboards. monkeys get mad very quickly haha

champ21bell

Smash Cadet
Because Smash is boring/dull/etc. The whole reason I stopped playing is because of that, there are better games that perk my interests more nowadays and has better replayability. There's no "hype," there's no "excitement," just the same ol ****
Think about this...Lee doesn't even show up to take our money. We should all disappear and come back for the next game like return of the Jedi. There's better games out there right... LA (competitive) smash is dead!!

BSP

Smash Legend
Hyro can still beat everyone on the pr up to jnig when he wants. If he were to come back, definate 3rd. As of now everyone on the pr can be beaten, except jnig and lee.
I took a set off of Jnig once :awesome:

Really though, I think I'm getting a little better.

Think about this...Lee doesn't even show up to take our money. We should all disappear and come back for the next game like return of the Jedi. There's better games out there right... LA (competitive) smash is dead!!

Quitting is no fun. I'm not quitting until we get 0 entrants consistently.

champ21bell

Smash Cadet
Quitting is no fun. I'm not quitting until we get 0 entrants consistently.
BSP i respect your commitment to brawl, I honestly wish I still had that too. But I think you are gonna get your wish soon. I think La only has 5 committed smashers left. Byron, jnig, b1000, gunner, and yourself. And you r leaving soon. Most of our best players are moving on, john, adam, ect. And life/school keeps the rest us from playing and getting better me, li-d, ect. Plus No new brawlers are coming into the scene. But worst of all is Smashboards is used put down and make fun of people instead of tech talk, match ups, and helping each other get better. I don't want it to be this way but our community is dying. Sorry, but I'm just calling it how I see it

_D._

Smash Apprentice
you took a set off jnig once, sure your getting better but that doesn't stop him from getting better. what im trying to say is the chances of beating jnig and lee are very low. why do we keep a system that's flawed and not compatible with our current scene. Changes are necessary if we want to see a difference.

'V'

Smash Lord
It's just that most of us have lost passion for Brawl the more we play. It's probably mostly due to everyone either finding better games to play or just quitting after realizing what the game actually has to offer (in some cases, both).

I'm personally just waiting for a change to happen that will hopefully make Smash 4 at least decent. Until then, I'll be playing Project M.

Also, for those who are interested, Gameware Monthly is next Friday. If anyone can bring a setup, that would be great. Please? ;)

Adam!

Smash Apprentice
I actually happen to know all of Justin's habits, etc. He can verify this, but I'm not gonna spill his secrets to you mere mortals. As for the whole smash is dying/angry thread discussion: bjade>smash and yall *****s are ****ing ***otrons

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Hey does anyone remember the post Ran made about beating Lee? How would I find it, if I actually wanted to give it some thought.

-Ran

Smash Master
Hey does anyone remember the post Ran made about beating Lee? How would I find it, if I actually wanted to give it some thought.
Because I care:

I could talk about Meta Knight, but there's really no point to do so in this thread. The only thing I want to say is that if you cannot notice the chasm between Lee and the rest of the state, then you aren't anywhere close to his level. If you honestly think Lee is only marginally better than everyone in the state to where others can catch him, you're deluded. If you want to catch Lee, you have to do the following:

1) Go to every out of state tournament in the region. [Houston/Dallas/Florida]
2) Dedicate yourself to the point where you're spending a week out of state training with the best players there.
3) Fly to events and expose yourself to every possible play style.
4) Play thousands of hours of brawl not just by yourself, but with the best players you can find.
5) Always play to destroy anyone and everyone.

No one is doing that, nor will anyone due to personal limitations. Unless you have a true evolution of a player, which can only be brought on by those circumstances, you aren't going to beat Lee. Lee was able to fuel his skill level by everyone playing catch up to him since many of the best 'Smash IQ' players at the time stayed playing Melee after small stints of playing Brawl. Since he had the money, he was able to justify trips to nationals and live off the game. No one is going to wrestle enough money from Smash in Louisiana to allow for the game itself to facilitate that level of growth.

Beyond that, when we're looking at a regional picture, Lee was growing in skill at the same pace as the best in Texas. Every time he traveled he knew he was going to make money back; while when players such as Jnig/Hyro would attend, they would garner respectable finishes, but nothing that would sustain their tournament expenditures. Now, you have Texas being incredibly stacked with players such as Gnes, Razer, Trela, and so forth that are beyond La's current players. Driving to Texas is a learning expense, that few are willing to pay.

I don't think anyone is going to catch Lee's current skill level unless they do the above. Lee evolved to where he was because of the hundreds upon hundreds of players he interacted with. With a limited player pool, you aren't going to catch him. Everyone who has tried has burned themselves out along the way, or has self imposed rules that prevents them from evolving.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Good discussions, guys. I'm in El Paso by the way. Do we know any smasher in Pheonix that could house?

I would love to get awesome at brawl but the motivation isnt there... I've learned a lot since October, and I've had a **** ton of fun playing, but P:M is more fun and brawl does seem stagnant... It seems like it will be gone soon and wouldn't be worth to truly go hard, idk.

BSP

Smash Legend
I have the motivation, I just can't atm. Maybe that'll change soonish though.

Edit: Japan took brawl this year at Apex, so I still think the U.S. has a ways to go. And if the U.S. has a ways to go, I have....at least 10x that ways to go. I haven't even scratched the surface of the whole competitive thing imo.

Most of us probably haven't actually.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
I have the motivation, I just can't atm. Maybe that'll change soonish though.
This. But it's mostly my fault that I can't.

Lol I want to quote your edit but that's too much. I agree, I'm definitely seeing that I've barely begun to enter the truly competitive world of brawl. I wish I'd gotten here a little sooner (mostly that I started sooner) but I'm still gonna try to improve as much as I can.

BSP

Smash Legend
The only hope of beating Lee is getting John Cena...he overcomes the odds
With the way most of the people here feel, there really isn't any hope. Not enough people care enough, or we don't have the ability to push ourselves farther.

aka what Ran's post says

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
You can't doubt Cena, he always overcomes the odds in any situation.
He even overcomes the odds of him winning matches just so he can lose.

Top Bottom