• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
right, but why do you think that it is capable of happening?

i knew you didnt mean it would.
I would think it would be obvious that if someone practices and learns how to play enough, they will get better at the game... Not trying to imply that it is easy, and of course there are people with natural talent, but if someone has the drive to do it there is no reason they cannot. Its only a game, not some kind of RL thing where you gotta know people, live somewhere, or go to a special school. :/

that sounded a lot more like a cheesy pep-talk than I wanted it to, lol

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i had a hard-counter argument to that, but i cant remember it...

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i think it had something to do with natural talent.

if some people can be naturally good at something, what makes you think people cant be naturally bad at something?

sort of like pickles and comics. he has natural untalent.

Turazrok

Smash Master
If the people with natural talent practice just as hard as you do won't they always be better than you?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
If the people with natural talent practice just as hard as you do won't they always be better than you?
THAT WAS IT!!! THAT, RIGHT THERE!!!

there was my argument. and turazrok stole it from me.

but my made up one was good, too, right?

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
i think it had something to do with natural talent.

if some people can be naturally good at something, what makes you think people cant be naturally bad at something?

sort of like pickles and comics. he has natural untalent.
Then they have the ability to become to learn and become better, its one of the things that make them human. Someone could teach pickles to make a better comic, but unless he has the drive to do it, than what would be the point?

Ive been reading to much Bakuman (NOT BAKUGAN, before someone misunderstands). If you read it you will understand how it relates to the topic, lol.

I don't think that's *entirely* true (not to say it isn't true to an extent). I don't think anyone should ever underestimate rivalry and determination.

On a side note, I just looked up and saw "Modern Warfare 2" as a tournament, and my automatic reaction was "People still play that?"

Arcadia

Smash Apprentice
Apparently he's bad enough to defeat multiple pro players on the national stage, I think I've been playing him wrong. Aggressive isn't always full-proof.

Edit: Pretty much what Cyphus said.
For you to be good at Brawl in LA, this needs to happen:

1. You live in New Orleans/Metairie
2. You can travel often if you live just outside of the mentioned area.
3. Your name is Lee Martin.
4. You have an unhealthy obsession with this game.

Maybe I'm trollin. Maybe I'm not.
Arcadia said:
The ONLY person who has a chance against Lee is my brother, Jnig.

Everyone else either:

Doesn't care enough
Has limitations (parents, transportaion, job, school)
Hasn't played long enough

Even my brother wont be able to beat Lee anytime soon, as he has school and a job.

Keep dreamin.
You guys are so fckin slow.

ChKn

Smash Ace
It depends on talent, but if you don't have the will to get better, then you won't get better.

I say we all practice Brawl for 8 hours each day and see where that gets us after 6 months.

Dicey

Smash Cadet
NNID
TraplordDicey
Well, why don't we all hang at Dibbz or something? All this talk of getting better makes me actually want to play!

I'd get better quick, if I could play people often enough. Few hours every 2 weeks or so isn't really doing it. D:

Edit:
Brawl for 8 hours each day
Holy crap

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't expect to get better anytime soon with a tournament rate of once per month.

Hopefully I can travel farther in the future. Then I'm going to make an earnest effort to do better and go to bigger tournaments.

First I have to learn how to not run into the **** though

Just look at Lee. He goes everywhere for smash, and look how he's turning out. You've got to put effort in to see those results. Travel or host your own tournaments to attract better people to you.

Arcadia

Smash Apprentice
I'd play melee anytime Dicey.

It depends on talent, but if you don't have the will to get better, then you won't get better.

I say we all practice Brawl for 8 hours each day and see where that gets us after 6 months.
Lee told me to practice Falco for an entire day witout stopping; I never actually did it but I have no doubt it would work.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Naturally bad doesn't equal an inability to become good. Not every single person who isn't naturally good isn't automatically considered naturally bad. Just because others lack the patience and dedication to get better doesn't mean everyone should be like them just because they aren't on-par

Edit: BSL that argument fails. Look at M2K vs ADHD for example. M2K is naturally good. He practices and comes up with new fighting styles/learns if need be. ADHD used to be a Shirk main and even admitted to sucking and then he started to use Diddy, learned him inside and out and now he has an MLG win under his belt.

And another thing, if you're going to complain about Brawl/quit and john about Brawl, then why are you still here. Your posts are just as annoying as pickle's.

Turazrok

Smash Master
No. Melee is a smash game, as is n64. Both are valid discussion topics, and imo better games then brawl.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Naturally bad doesn't equal an inability to become good. Not every single person who isn't naturally good isn't automatically considered naturally bad. Just because others lack the patience and dedication to get better doesn't mean everyone should be like them just because they aren't on-par
i never said there was no middle ground. my point was, not everyone can be good. naturally good people dont have to work as hard to win. average people work hard. naturally bad people have to put 100% of their life into trying to get better, just to be ok at the game.

Edit: BSL that argument fails. Look at M2K vs ADHD for example. M2K is naturally good. He practices and comes up with new fighting styles/learns if need be. ADHD used to be a Shirk main and even admitted to sucking and then he started to use Diddy, learned him inside and out and now he has an MLG win under his belt.
do you know if M2K puts as much time in the game as ADHD? maybe ADHD just practices more. your counter-argument can be used on either side of this argument.

And another thing, if you're going to complain about Brawl/quit and john about Brawl, then why are you still here. Your posts are just as annoying as pickle's.
yes.no. there are other games besides brawl. i read that as if it said smash instead of brawl.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Lol @ the fact that you think M2K doesn't as much time into Brawl as ADHD. Fact is ANYONE can be or become good with time and work. Just because naturally good people have to work less doesn't exactly mean you can't become better and if they are better than you, it doesn't exactly mean you are a bad player. Eventually everyone will meet a better player and those who are winning tourneys may not have so early on.

And that statement wasn't even meant for you. I know melee and 64 are smash games, but this isn't the place to complain/***** about reasons you quit trying to become better.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I really should be better at melee. I live right next door to kyle and tim :/

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
Wow well here's my opinion on it. It doesn't matter who you are, everyone can get better. If M2K destroys me in a match, that would make me practice more and more. If I practice enough and beat M2K, then M2K would practice to get better. The point of that is you can have no talent whatsoever and practice hard enough to win. If you're complaining about how no matter what you do you can't win, then why do you still play?

ChKn

Smash Ace
Lee told me to practice Falco for an entire day witout stopping; I never actually did it but I have no doubt it would work.
-_- I try to average 2 hours a week with Marth, but that's like no where near enough lol. And most of that practice won't amount to anything unless I actually put myself into the proper mindset the day of the tournament.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Lol @ the fact that you think M2K doesn't as much time into Brawl as ADHD. Fact is ANYONE can be or become good with time and work. Just because naturally good people have to work less doesn't exactly mean you can't become better and if they are better than you, it doesn't exactly mean you are a bad player. Eventually everyone will meet a better player and those who are winning tourneys may not have so early on.
i was trollan there. i originally was going to say:

how do you know ADHD isnt naturally talented like M2K? you said yourself he didnt get good until he actually learned how to play Diddy.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
The whole "naturally good training hard will always be better" argument just sounds like a "They're too good, so why bother?" excuse to get out of working towards progress. Which would most likely explain why those bringing up that argument, isn't even good at their respective games... -_-

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
The whole "naturally good training hard will always be better" argument just sounds like a "They're too good, so why bother?" excuse to get out of working towards progress. Which would most likely explain why those bringing up that argument, isn't even good at their respective games... -_-
woah, woah, woah... that hurts, man. :c

also, arcadia. **** you and your signature. adblock plus ftw.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
obv, not Victory in Japan, lol.

learning WWII history stuff.

VJ-Day was the day Japan surrendered. its funny, cause its VJ. like vee-jay. like ******.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Now that we scrubs have spoken, what say u ppl at the top 3? And....our PR is gonna be ****ing crazy looking come next month. **** the PR.

'V'

Smash Lord
People can either pick Dedede or Wario and Sonic gets crushed. I'm not gonna say don't try it anymore though, cuz you can do what you want. I will say that it's very hard though.

-Ran

Smash Master
The simple truth is, some people are just going to be better at you at the game because of the time that they have applied to the game, or similar games. Beyond that, some players simply mature at a faster rate than others when it comes to a game. I could play the game for forty hours a week, but would that match the level of insight and growth that an elite player like Lee can garner in a few hours of play?

There is a disproportionate level of growth that some players gain compared to the level of effort that others apply. This is how life works for everything. Some people are talented, and others aren't. I could try to become a world class runner, but I don't have the build for it. I could work my *** off everyday, and I could eventually become an accomplished runner in my own right, but I'd never become an elite Olympian because I don't have the proper build for it. My legs aren't long enough, so my strides would be shorter. I'd have to use more energy and effort to keep up with the other guys. Even just looking at me, you all know that I wouldn't be able to tear up a track. Though we'd like to believe that video games don't have this same truth attached to it, we cannot avoid it. Some players are smarter, react quicker, and have the flexibility in their mind to adapt to situations without becoming stagnant. Everyone has levels that they operate within.

It's not the character that makes Lee, Gnes, or any of these elite players great. They make the character that they are playing great, because they have each identified with a character that provide them the best tools for their abilities to be optimally used. Do match ups exist? Of course, but players can overcome them by using a character melds with their play-style to exponentially increase their level of play. Obviously, some characters have greater abilities than the others, and more tools for various situations. However, not everyone needs twenty tools to do one job, and others operate better at the extreme end of the spectrum such as being able to utilize projectiles in unique ways or relying on speed and movement. I truly believe that everyone has a character or two that is perfect for their play-style, but it's a matter of taking the time to find the character, and then the dedication to stick with it. Characters are nothing more than tools, and it's up to the player to find the best one to fit their approach to the game.

I feel more often than not, players choose a character based on the tier list which provides us information as to what characters are best equipped to survive in the meta game, not what character is best for your personal use. Due to this, they don't find a character that would fit into their play-style, and instead decide to try and change their play-style into that of the top characters. It's incredibly hard to play against your natural instincts, and many players suffer because of this stigma. You cannot mirror the success of another player by simply picking up their character and attempting to emulate their style.

Dicey

Smash Cadet
NNID
TraplordDicey
Regional zones are unworthy of your posts, Ran!
it's a matter of taking the time to find the character, and then the dedication to stick with it.
Thiiiiss. One of the reasons I'm so far behind in Brawl, is simply because it took me up until a month and some time ago to finally decide on a character. I was constantly hopping from one to another, learning all of their ATs and a few basic strategies! Theeeeen off to another one! Not once did I pay attention to which one felt comfortable, or which I simply had fun with. All I wanted was that one guy to be my "key to winning".
..Nope. I'm just gonna stick with Luigi, and try to catch up.

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
Ok, Louisiana with MLG behind us, we can now look forward to the following:
1. Curlz, TASOL is coming up and I think we need to hype this up as much as possible. I'm sure not only you, but all of us want this to be big and have a lot of attendance.
2. WHOBO 3, I know it's early but I need to know/want to know, who's going so I can know who I'm going to carpool/room with, or if we're getting housing.
3. We might do a CI Monthly the same weekend or the weekend before HOBO, so keep a heads up.

This is NiTEZ btw

Top Bottom