• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Logic Behind "Brawl is easier than Melee"

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The concept of "Brawl is easier than Melee" is a very flat statement that holds some truth and some falsity. However it holds more truth than falsity in that Melee required a person to work harder in order to win.

Melee was the basically the combination of 4 aspects: general game knowledge, tech skill, comboing, and mindgaming.

General game knowledge involves knowing every in-game aspect aspect. This includes the following: , attack effects (which are good to use, which arent, which should be avoided, which can be punished, etc)
Game Physics - knockback, hitstun, average movement speeds, etc.
Character Physics - character weight, falling speed, traction, hitboxes
Character Attacks
-----------------------Good Effects - priority, spike, high damage, combo potential, high knockback)
-----------------------Bad Effects - attacks with much lag, are very weak, don't provide anything helpful towards ko'ing and comboing
Stage knowledge - knowledge of every aspect of a stage including interactive stage properties (lava, arwings, transfomations, etc.

Tech skill is the ability to perform various maneuvers and button combinations that provide for better gameplay for the average player. Tech skill is largely composed of the ability to effectively, fluidly, and consistently perform advanced techs. Some of the most important advanced techs were l-cancel, wavedash, and teching. Those are the base techs that lead to the improvement of tech skill, and, eventually, better gameplay. A person that can incorperate good tech skill in battle is generally faster than those who don't. However tech skill alone doesn't win battles, it is more of a gateway to more possibilities, which takes me to the next two aspects.

Comboing is the result of a very long time with playing against various people against various characters. Comboing is one of the results of good tech skill; however, takes a long time to develop a naturally comboing gameplay. In order to combo you need to know about your character's "good" attacks. No character has the ability to combo with every attack they have, therefore, you need to now which ones can. The best way to learn which attacks should be used is to watch videos. After you've learned which attacks to use, all that's left is practice. You'll start off imitation combos, but in time you'll begin to develop your own combos, and even later, you'll be able to combo improptuously. Combos are a major part of Melee's metagame because they can range from getting lots of damage quickly, to taking off a whole stock, while not taking much damage yourself.

Mindgaming is the argueably the most important attribute. Mindgaming is the ability to adapt to your opponent while playing, to the point at which you are not predicting them, instead, manipulating them (somewhat g-reg quote). Mindgaming is another attribute that comes from battling various different people using various different characters over long periods of time. A person without mindgames will fall for the same traps and tactics over and over again. Mindgaming, in some cases, can sometimes overcome tech skill and comboing differences. Mindgaming is very important because it is infinitely potent and ever changing.

Now for the point of this thread.

Each of the components I just mentioned are VERY important to Melee's metagame. Playing Melee without any of them puts a player at a serious disadvantage. Also, developing each of these components for yourself takes a lot of time and training. The problem with Brawl is that it has removed and decreased the importance of some of these components.

Brawl has all but completely removed tech skill because of it's physics and it's lack of advanced techs. It's a scarcity to to see any maneuver or button combination that requires more than 2 mins of practice to perform. Tech skill was the physical aspect of difficulty that Melee presented. If you did not have good tech skill, you did not win against someone who did unless you hd the mindgames to compensate (which has only happened once). Therefore, tech skill was a necessity. With that component removed in Brawl, it takes less effort to perform maneuvers and more mindgames to get a ko.

As a direct consequence for the lack of tech skill, comboing is rare in Brawl. Brawl's physics makes gameplay slow. Attacks are slow and there is much lag in many, however, the hitstun from getting hit is almost none, meaning that once you hit someone, you have to wait for the lag from your move to end (this includes waiting for your character to hit the ground) while the opponent is free to move. The incredibly low hitstun also makes airdodging incredibly easy. So, even if you manage to escape attack lag in time to go for another attack, there's a 99.9% chance that it can be airdodged. There's no guarantee that any charcter will ever have more than 2 effective combos that can be done of more than 3 characters. With that statistic, there's a .028 chance of a random character selections with one character being able fo effectively combo. Comboing is dead.

Brawl inevitably forces players to focus much more on mindgames to compensate for the lack of tech skill and comboing. However, without tech skill, there are even less opportunities for effective mindgaming. I know that I stated that mindgaming has infinite potential; however, mindgaming and effective mindgaming are two different things. Melee's fast pace made there more openings for mindgaming; however, since Brawl is so much slower, both players have more time to focus on what the opponent is doing and devising counter plans, whereas, in Melee, there was always a way to trick even the hardest opponents because the game moved at a pace that didn't allow for overly decisive and adaptive thinking. Thus, Brawl, does require more mindgaming ability, but much less tech skill and comboing ability.

Without tech skill and comboing, Brawl 's gameplay is easier because it requires a large amount less practice than Melee. Mindgaming is more emphasized, however it is not something that one can simply "practice". Mindgaming is developed naturally and most people don't even notice when their mindgaming skills have increased. Keeping that in mind, the only thing people have to have to know in order to play above average is general game knowledge, which can be obtained in a month's time.

Summary: Melee required general game knowledge, high technical skill, high comboing skill, and high mindgaming skill

Brawl requires general game knowledge, very little technical skill, very very little comboing skill, and incredibly high mindgaming skill.

Brawl does not require anything that takes intentional physical training and practice, and relies mainly on components that come naturally as the person's experience with competitive play increases.

Melee, however, requires long intentional and physical training, and components that come naturally as the person's experience with competitive play increases

In that sense, Brawl is easier than Melee.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Good post, and I definitely agree. I never played Melee competitively because I never developed the technical skill to do so. While with Brawl I can't say I'm a "competative" player yet I feel I'm on my way to becoming one. Personally I like that aspect of Brawl better. Most people will hate me for it but I prefer games to utilize more strategy and thinking ahead then technical skill. At the same time though I do see how not having to have much tech skill hurts the game.

The strategies in brawl seem to be a lot less deep. Playing defensive has a clear advantage over playing offensively.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Good post, and I definitely agree. I never played Melee competitively because I never developed the technical skill to do so. While with Brawl I can't say I'm a "competative" player yet I feel I'm on my way to becoming one. Personally I like that aspect of Brawl better. Most people will hate me for it but I prefer games to utilize more strategy and thinking ahead then technical skill. At the same time though I do see how not having to have much tech skill hurts the game.

The strategies in brawl seem to be a lot less deep. Playing defensive has a clear advantage over playing offensively.
YES.

10yes

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
As far as ATs are concerned, yeah, brawl is easier, but it doesn't really matter to me, because the game is still fun and there's still a skill factor.

It's not like the difference between pros and n00bs is any smaller than it was in melee. It's just that this is brawl not melee. Like any game you have to play it and keep playing it, to get good at it.

I'm not saying that your skills in melee won't or shouldn't transfer over to brawl, but this is a different game. You can't just go into a new environment and expect to be top of the food chain.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
It's not like the difference between pros and n00bs [in brawl] is any smaller than it was in melee.
this is false

I'm not saying that your skills in melee won't or shouldn't transfer over to brawl, but this is a different game. You can't just go into a new environment and expect to be top of the food chain.
this actually does happen. people that were good at melee are generally better at brawl too

the biggest problem i have with brawl isn't that it's easier, it's that it's boring to play. you can't improvise combos anymore and playing defensive just sucks. brawl's like a peach ditto

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
the logic is full of win, but why do u need to post flame bait, you know its just a matter of time before T3h 1337 Br4wL3r5 flame you for being a melee lover, the community would be better of without this post, since those who care concur, and noticed already, and those that don't are loud and whiny....

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
There is combo potential in this game, it just has to be done in extremely rapid succession using a lot of c-stick tricks and stuff. There's an inescapable combo with Ganondorf I've seen Boss do that does around 80% damage. Any Lucario, Metaknight, and R.O.B. player will tell you that they can combo like a beast once there is an opening.

So yeah, combos exist, they're just much, much, much more difficult and situational.

this is false

this actually does happen. people that were good at melee are generally better at brawl too

the biggest problem i have with brawl isn't that it's easier, it's that it's boring to play. you can't improvise combos anymore and playing defensive just sucks. brawl's like a peach ditto
Actually, combos MUST be improvised for there be effective comboing. In Melee, there were a few things you can do that were pretty much guaranteed, none of that exists in Brawl.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
One point I disagree on is that techskill is absolutely required in Melee. If you wanted to, you could play a non technical character and do just fine, without having to worry about constantly performing technical feats as with Fox and Falco.

Tech skill was an option, one that was encouraged, but not truly a necessity.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Your totally right. But mindgaming, adepting yourself to your opponent and such is ofc in. But most parts of the mindgaming world have been removed with the air dodge and dashdance.

Mindgaming your opponent into doing what you want him to do, you cant do that in brawl.
Depending on how competive you want the game to be you'll play differently.
At high levels is the most dreadful crap i've ever played!
You'll basicly pick a fast oriented character with great range and camp til the opponent attacks.
And when he does you throw in one smash or a grap into a Nair or something equally.
And then ofc roll to the other edge and repeat. The game doesnt have an offensive play where you manipulate your opponent and try to take control, instead a slow paced game where you wait for an opening and do one attack or missle camp.

The game is a great fun but they have'nt just removed the techs of melee.
They have removed everything basicly to introduce a boring slowmotion game between 2 bowsers whom stand on the other side and slowly walks towards the opponent to find a opening. No wavedashing animations or dashdances to trick the opponent into attacking or approaching.
Just a still standing phase where you want to attack. And eventually...
Someone attacks and get shieldgrabbed. That's brawl written allover. Ofcourse you can pick funnier characters to combo with like Wario, Pit or Metaknight but with time it will be such a defensive game you wont be able to do a crap about it.
People will grow fear towards attacking and approaching, they wont have the bravery to attack ones more after an attack.
They will...

... I can go on forever actully. But my most simple defination.

-Falco or any ranged character for the matter.
-Final Destination.
-Grab your edge and fire those laserzors

MISSLE CAMPING HEAVEN.

Yes that's my opinion what brawl has grown into. Still, i've only met a simple strain of persons and probably none who have the same knowledge of the game as you nor anyone who plays aggresively in the game.

But in my eyes it's clear that this game is ONLy focusing on the defensive aspect, and defensive is never funny incase you dont have someone who attacks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technical skill is required to reach the highest levels of play. In the end, you're only doing yourself a disservice by not learning the basics of techniques and essentially depriving yourself of options.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Technical skill is required to reach the highest levels of play. In the end, you're only doing yourself a disservice by not learning the basics of techniques and essentially depriving yourself of options.
But take a look at sheik for example, what technical skill do you need for her? Fast needle turnarounds help a lot, but that's really the only hard thing I can think of, other than pivoting, which isn't all too useful for sheik.

theJollity

Smash Rookie
Personally I like that aspect of Brawl better. Most people will hate me for it but I prefer games to utilize more strategy and thinking ahead then technical skill. At the same time though I do see how not having to have much tech skill hurts the game.

QFT.
While I've never played Melee before, I completely agree with your preference in games that put some emphasis on utilizing strategy rather than technical skill. From what I've read, Sakurai wanted to make this game fair for players of all skills, and he accomplished just that. I think that change was in order, because it looks like the amount of Smash players in general decreased on the transition from 64 to Melee (from what I've seen, at least - some players didn't like the buffed up competitive scene and just stuck to 64)... of course, that could just be that the Gamecube wasn't hot on sales.

I think that's probably what made transitioning from Melee to Brawl difficult for more competitive players - suddenly you have to get used to thinking differently and adapting to a levelled gameplay. I think the best players would be able to adapt to any style of gameplay.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
i am going to laugh my *** off in 3 years when brawl has a ton of techs and and everyone knows all the combos. And while they were being learned and practiced, the melee f-a-g-s went back and suck when they come running back to brawl. It will get better, and is a competitive game, not as fast as melee, but also has many new possibilities for air fighting, give it time.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
i am going to laugh my *** off in 3 years when brawl has a ton of techs and and everyone knows all the combos. And while they were being learned and practiced, the melee f-a-g-s went back and suck when they come running back to brawl. It will get better, and is a competitive game, not as fast as melee, but also has many new possibilities for air fighting, give it time.
XD! You know how long it took Melee to have many combos, techs and mindgames... one month. Either way, the physics of Brawl make it impossible to do what was possible in Melee. Ofcourse, as I can derive from your post count, you are new here, and you aren't very educated on Melee. I suggest you go and try to master Melee then start to compare it to Brawl and see which is better for yourself, because most Brawl defenders were never that good at Melee.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
QFT.
While I've never played Melee before, I completely agree with your preference in games that put some emphasis on utilizing strategy rather than technical skill. From what I've read, Sakurai wanted to make this game fair for players of all skills, and he accomplished just that. I think that change was in order, because it looks like the amount of Smash players in general decreased on the transition from 64 to Melee (from what I've seen, at least - some players didn't like the buffed up competitive scene and just stuck to 64)... of course, that could just be that the Gamecube wasn't hot on sales.

I think that's probably what made transitioning from Melee to Brawl difficult for more competitive players - suddenly you have to get used to thinking differently and adapting to a levelled gameplay. I think the best players would be able to adapt to any style of gameplay.
This is why we don't use personal examples as the sole evidence for a claim we make.

The amount of smash players and the amount of competitive smash players skyrocketed with Melee. Melee tournament had some of the highest turn outs of any game. It wasn't as big as Halo 2, but it still was huge and Smash 64 was easily shadowed by it.

Also it is clear that mangodurban has no idea what he is talking about. I suggest everyone put him on your ignore list right away so we don't have to go on for 20 pages arguing with a flamer noob.

However, in regards to the original post I must disagree on a point about mindgames. I liked the paragraph about effective mind games, but I don't agree with the conclusion of Brawl needing more mindgames. A heavier reliance on mind games, yes. More mind games? Well I always cringe when mindgames are attempted to be quantified, but Melee had more options and available options lead to mind games, even more so for effective options which Brawl seems to be lacking in.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl also has another problem, spamming prevails which leads to boring gameplay. Yesterday I played a Wolf with my Pit...guess how fun it was! BTW, I am not whining because I lost, I actually won. It was boring as hell though.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Mindgames are more important in Melee than in Brawl. In Melee, mindgames could potentially net you a 0-death combo. In brawl, mindgames will get you maybe one or two hits. So instead of mindgames, you basically have characters spamming safe attacks.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Mar 2008, says it all

Formless

Smash Cadet
Mar 2008, says it all
I wasn't on Smashboards for so long, but I am pretty sure it didn't just take a few months to find all that stuff.

Even if Brawl is maxed out from a technique standpoint, nothing changes about my preference of Brawl over Melee. Reliance on techniques and combos that weren't really meant to be there to win and the creation of a scene where everybody plays the same 4 characters is not ideal. Brawl isn't without problems either though.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
OP is full of win and logic. Thank you, MuraRengan, for presenting a good view of the differences between Melee and Brawl.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl is easier than melee

The game is shallower than melee

Brawl is still a lot of fun and has a certain level of competitive value.

Brawl doesn't require more mindgames or for a lack of a better word better mindgames IMO. The game is about senseless spamming a projectile if you have one. Or you put up your shield have your opponent hit the shield drop your shield cuz of the low shield lag time (The time it takes for you to drop your shield) then wreck them for hitting your shield as in knocking them away.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=42199054

Here's a general timeline of the discovery/naming of each technique. Keep in mind Melee was released December 3rd, 2001.

Already known before December 2001 because of SSB:
- short hop
- l-cancel
- teching
- double-jump cancel
- ledge hop
- edge-hog, but probably not it's more developed forms in Melee (rolling onto stage, wavedashing backwards to edge-hog)

---

- wavedashing - December 2001, as shown above. The Japanese might have toyed around with it even earlier.

- dashdancing - the technique was named "dashdancing" no later than May 2002, though I'm sure people were dashdancing right from the start, in an attempt to emulate old SSB habits.

- DI - "discovered" day one. It's natural. However, people didn't really start studying it until Radius-86's seminal topic about it in August, 2002:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21323

- shffl' - coined at GameFAQs in mid 2004, though people were shffl'ing long before then.

- ledge-tech - I can't find any mention of the term before mid 2005, though I definitely remember discussing it under the concept of "wall tech" before then. Ledge teching has only really caught on recently.

- moonwalk - discovered mid 2006. People always knew there was fishy stuff going on with dashing characters' speed and motion, but nobody had turned it into a technique until about May, 2006.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
The real problem is that Brawl is boring compared to Melee. It's also a ridiculous statement to say that Brawl requires more strategy than Melee, if anything it's the complete opposite. COMPLETE opposite. In Brawl, you can spam the same strategy and win. Melee requires more dynamic gameplay, more thinking ahead, more prediction of the opponent's moves, and more general skill required.

I'm tired of reading "ppl who played melee don't wanna transfer to a leveled playing field"... that's just ridiculous. The issue is that Melee was fun, deep, and fast, and Brawl simply isn't any of those things. It's random. If you call randomness fair, Sakurai must be your idol.

There's WAAAAAAY more mindgames in Melee. Go read Scar's thread, even just the first post. It's completely obvious to anyone who's played both games. Stop trying to defend Brawl as a better competitive game, or a deeper game, and just accept it for what it is.

edit: this thread is 99% a noob gathering.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ you.

two words: physics engine.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I honestly don't agree that Brawl has more of a mental aspect to it. I personally think that Melee required a much higher level of "mind games" on the basis that it requires you to think faster and put it together with your other skills to use it effectively.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
In brawl, you can't just use your best attacks constantly, because it weakens them. Not every tech in Brawl is easier. Many brawl techs are character techs, and some of them like the Wolf Illusion cancel are really hard to do exactly how you want everytime. Others are about average like TL's SHDA, and some are easy and might not even be a tech, like Ike's Grand Viper.
Anyway, there aren't many universal techs, but there are many more character specific techs in brawl than melee, and more are discovered each day(like TL shooting arrows through his back). Metaknight has no projectiles, but somehow is a top tier character. That means that this game isn't all about spamming projectiles and being campy. Combos don't add any more depth to a game. It is just a string of attacks that generally always works when initiated properly. Metaknight is a rushdown character, which means he has to develop good attack choices right on the spot as he reacts to how his opponent tries to get away.
Brawl requires thinking ahead more than melee. You can't land most attacks in Brawl unless you know what your opponent is going to do since the game is so slow.
Am I saying brawl takes more technical skill than melee? Of course not. But it is still competitive, and requires better predicting, as it is a reaction game.
Melee is Tennis, Chess is Brawl. Fun with lots of techs vs each piece only has a simple moveset, but the game can end up many ways and requires much thinking.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
In brawl, you can't just use your best attacks constantly, because it weakens them. Not every tech in Brawl is easier. Many brawl techs are character techs, and some of them like the Wolf Illusion cancel are really hard to do exactly how you want everytime. Others are about average like TL's SHDA, and some are easy and might not even be a tech, like Ike's Grand Viper.
Anyway, there aren't many universal techs, but there are many more character specific techs in brawl than melee, and more are discovered each day(like TL shooting arrows through his back). Metaknight has no projectiles, but somehow is a top tier character. That means that this game isn't all about spamming projectiles and being campy. Combos don't add any more depth to a game. It is just a string of attacks that generally always works when initiated properly. Metaknight is a rushdown character, which means he has to develop good attack choices right on the spot as he reacts to how his opponent tries to get away.
Brawl requires thinking ahead more than melee. You can't land most attacks in Brawl unless you know what your opponent is going to do since the game is so slow.
Am I saying brawl takes more technical skill than melee? Of course not. But it is still competitive, and requires better predicting, as it is a reaction game.
Melee is Tennis, Chess is Brawl. Fun with lots of techs vs each piece only has a simple moveset, but the game can end up many ways and requires much thinking.
again, lol. especially that brawl requires better predicting. brawl is more "chesslike". lol. brawl requires better predicting... lol. melee combos aren't built like combos in other fighting games, you have to predict dynamically. did you even play melee?

you're a funny one, my friend. don't try and pose as having knowledge you obviously lack.

Vash_Ericks

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-8751-9768
Welcome to the modern age of comp gaming

I think that this is just the way games are heading nowadays. As games are becoming more mainstream than they used to be, they have to compensate for the people who are only able to play for an hour or two a day. Lets use FPS games as an example. Back in the day, the main FPS competition game was the incredibly fast and technical quake 3. This game took years to truly master and there was a definite sense of who was elite and who wasn't. There were the usual glitches that changed the way the game was played (trickjumping and things of that sort), but it made the gameplay faster and made you think even quicker. Nowadays, most of the major games that come out follow the footsteps of Halo 2 in that it is a rather slow-paced game that gives help to those who aren't as skilled as the rest through mechanisms such as auto-aim. So basically, I believe that if all you do to a game is make everything slower and cut the amount of techniques down to the point where the skill cap really isn't that high, it becomes an easier game. I think that Brawl has less mind-games than it used to because in melee, you had to be a lot quicker so as to react to your opponent, while creating your own strategy. In brawl, you have more time to think out the same strategies, but less can happen between when you mindgame someone and when you make your move, thus I believe less mindgaming is needed. Even though your opponent has the same benefits of the reduction, it still is just a lot less difficult to make "good" moves. Even though it really is quite annoying, thats just the way modern games are being made.

khepri

Smash Lord
I've noticed that nearly all the people that say brawl is more competitive than melee have never played melee competitively, or at least not to a significant level.

That's like arguing that apples are better than bananas when you've never even had a banana.

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
you guys really need to stop worrying about what game is what... seriously. Seems about 50% of threads on this board are people complaining.

"Brawl sucks you cant even combo like melee so that means it takes no skill"

"Melee sucks all you need to know is how to wavedash and use Fox to be good"

just play what game you want to play.... which should be what game YOU have more fun playing. Just stop analyzing everything and play. You dont have fun playing brawl? why would you waste your time with it then? because "that is what everyone else is playing right now"? LOL ok then keep on playing a game that you dont have fun with.... see how that works out.

Wuss

Smash Champion
^ the point of this discussion is to discuss which game is easier to play. Therefore we discuss it. The whole point of all of these threads about which is better is to figure out which should be played by competitors (although the solution probably wont be followed).

on topic, I agree. Newbs will be able to get into the competitive scene much more easily just because the game is much easier to learn. Melee took me 5 tourneys or so just to be able to not be scared when I faced other people...

The biggest problem I have with brawl is just that it lacks intensity. The matches I play with my friends are closer (cause I beat them in melee), and they can beat me more often than not now, but they just aren't as fun imo. Melee games require such precision and skill, in brawl, you can make mistakes not be punished for it just because of the slow gameplay.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem I have with brawl is just that it lacks intensity. The matches I play with my friends are closer (cause I beat them in melee), and they can beat me more often than not now, but they just aren't as fun imo. Melee games require such precision and skill, in brawl, you can make mistakes not be punished for it just because of the slow gameplay.
You speak the truth, my friend. That's my huge issue too, that the game lacks the intensity (and thus the fun, to me at least) of Melee.

You're right about the topic of the thread... sorry to the ppl talking about the logic of the two games, sometimes my anger over Brawl gets the best of me.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl is less technical than Melee, this doesn't mean its worse.
Brawl combo's require players to predict the opponents next defensive effort to end a combo (air dodging), this is actually a positive, there are few auto combo's beyond 3-4 hits, but the ad libbed combo's and watching a player correctly predict the opponent seems much more interesting than just watching someone do a combo I've seen a hundred times and already know to work.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Actually, combos MUST be improvised for there be effective comboing. In Melee, there were a few things you can do that were pretty much guaranteed, none of that exists in Brawl.
while this is true, your statement implies that brawl has combos. thanks to decreased hitstun and slower mobility, "combos" in brawl are restricted to two and occasionally three hits

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is less technical than Melee, this doesn't mean its worse.
Brawl combo's require players to predict the opponents next defensive effort to end a combo (air dodging), this is actually a positive, there are few auto combo's beyond 3-4 hits, but the ad libbed combo's and watching a player correctly predict the opponent seems much more interesting than just watching someone do a combo I've seen a hundred times and already know to work.
uh. Melee's combos require players to predict waaaay more than the end of a defensive effort. Brawl requires you to make one prediction, then score one hit... just one hit. So... what's the point. Why not attack in an unsafe way and trade blows? The end result is the same, unless you want the match to take half an hour (or be a spamfest).

How is that a positive?

Ad libbed combos??? There's no such thing as a combo beyond two or three hits, that's not a combo. ALL of Melee's combos are "ad libbed" seeing as how you have to dynamically adjust for the opponent's inputs throughout the entire combo.

Your last line doesn't apply to melee at all, it seems more like Killer Instinct or some other game in which combos are completely preset button combinations. It's waaaay more interesting to see someone combo in Melee, because it's dynamic.

I retract my previous apology. This thread is a noobfest.

Top Bottom