• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any clue as to why 4chan seems to have massive hate base for Ashley being in the game? It's almost to the point of being obsessed with her themselves.
I have no clue, but to be fair they are toxic about basically anyone’s opinion about anything. They do seem to particularly hate Ashley tho.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
The Ashley 4chan fanbase has a tendency to lewd her, so I can see why a lot of people would hate her for that over there.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Huh, I felt like I recognized the actress playing Ashley. I knew there was a reason I was getting some Persona 5 flashbacks while listening to her.
Oh wow, she does the voice for Futaba, that is great!

Red sounds like he is voiced by Double D from Ed Edd n Eddy.
Ahh yes there we go. I knew I recognized that voice. This is so awesome, I want to hear Ashley and Red talk in Smash!

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Red sounds like he is voiced by Double D from Ed Edd n Eddy.
You know what? Listening to it again, I totally hear it and I'm amazed that I still recognize it after all these years. The personalities totally match, too.

Really hoping Ashley's trailer would be fully voiced. It's fun whenever there's Smash-specific banter.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I must thank Andre for this wonderful showcase. He had the choice between Jimmy T, 9-volt and Ashley. As you can probably tell, he made the right choice. Everyone wants to know more about Ashley!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Microgames you mean? I thought she didn't have any... and Twisted ones of all things? You'd expect Touched ones to reference her game of origin.
I am not the most familiar with the franchise so I just need to hammer that distinction in a bit more. It is a bit weird that she got Twisted of all things.

Greator

Smash Rookie
So this new WarioWare Gold demo GameXplain guys tested had Wario and Ashley section. Ashley is also getting a separate minigame aside her microgame stage. I'm getting my hopes up even more...
Also, the voice acting is very good and the voice fits her. I wonder if it's the same voice actress Ashley used to have.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Wario Ware Gold looks like a pretty fun game. I was worried it was just going to be a charmless mini game collection and not have any focus on character, but that thankfully doesn't seem like the case.

Does anyone plan on picking it up?

Oh, yeah, and go Ashley!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ashley appears to have gotten a new voice actress.

Honestly I feel like it suits her very well, I like it.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I was worried her voice in the English version was gonna sound cutesy and childish, but they actually did a very well done job to capture the Ashley we all know and love.

Will this be her voice in Smash Bros Ultimate? we will wait and see!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was worried her voice in the English version was gonna sound cutesy and childish, but they actually did a very well done job to capture the Ashley we all know and love.

Will this be her voice in Smash Bros Ultimate? we will wait and see!
The cutesy and childish voice could have been used in the Japanese version. Considering the personality differences back then.

Honestly, her new voice is perfect for the role. She reminds me of Mandy from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Does anyone plan on picking it up?
Yup, the 27 can't be here fast enough, I already know I'm going to lose hours playing Pyoro again.

Meanwhile, Ashley is getting her training against a far less dangerous, always hungry, fire breathing monster before having to fight the real deal in december :

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
They changed the entire cast besides Wario, it seems. I thought Treehouse could never ruin WarioWare. I always underestimate Treehouse's ability to ruin a game.

What, how can you not like the new voice of Ashley? it's perfect! better than I could have hoped.
Because it's not the Ashley I've known since 2005. I don't want a new voice. The old one was something I loved about her.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, not even I knew Ashley since 2004. I became an Ashley follower in 2009. I didn't really grow up with that voice, I never played WarioWare; so maybe I cannot relate.

This is Ashley's true voice for me, I didn't even know she spoke that much back then, maybe besides the song.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, not even I knew Ashley since 2004. I became an Ashley follower in 2009. I didn't really grow up with that voice, I never played WarioWare; so maybe I cannot relate.

This is Ashley's true voice for me, I didn't even know she spoke that much back then, maybe besides the song.
No one "spoke that much" back then, but they still used the same voice crew throughout the series. To just drop them now is wrong.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I prefer this voice to the old one, honestly. Erica Lindbeck is great.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I might be wrong on this, but her original VA's only role was just Ashley?
And now Erica Lindbeck is voicing her who's done roles like Futaba, Celica, and Magilou?

That sounds like the exact opposite of cheap to me.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I might be wrong on this, but her original VA's only role was just Ashley?
And now Erica Lindbeck is voicing her who's done roles like Futaba, Celica, and Magilou?

That sounds like the exact opposite of cheap to me.
I guess I'm just picky. I'll get used to it.

Neyonel

Smash Rookie
No one "spoke that much" back then, but they still used the same voice crew throughout the series. To just drop them now is wrong.
Looking at the IMDb pages for the old voice actors for much of the WarioWare cast, they don't have many voice-acting credits outside the series, and many of these other credits are just in smaller parts, i.e. parts only listed as "additional voices." Heck, most of them have more credits under other jobs working on games. This is understandable- because there wasn't much speaking in the older games, they could get away with casting people who were either less experienced in voice acting or who weren't even in the field to begin with, both because the jobs were less demanding and so they didn't have to pay more professional VAs' higher prices. But Gold is different- because it has fully-voiced cutscenes, it only makes sense to hire professional voice actors for the roles. I understand not liking it from a fan perspective, but if the voice-acting was given by less professional people, it would probably come across in the performances, which would negatively impact the people who may not have been so attached to the voice actors they used.

Take the Ace Attorney series for example. For the first few games, the only voice clips in the game were Phoenix Wright's iconic "Objection!" "Hold it!" and "Take that!", as well as the objections of each games' prosecutors. These dub voices were also provided by people who worked other roles in game development, because all they had to do was get in the recording booth, shout three different lines max, and leave. Then Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies came out for the 3DS, featuring some other lines spoken aloud on special occasions, as well as fully-voiced anime cutscenes. They recast the returning roles with new, professional VAs, because a larger-scale project requires more experienced workers, no matter the field.

Sorry for giving an overly-long explanation behind it, and none of this is to say that you have to like the new voices. Just thought I'd give some insight as to the "why" factor.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
But man the same voice actress as Futaba and Celica; two characters that I love. I want Ashley even more than I already do which is a lot!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My goodness, her voice actress sounds like an ASMR professional. It's fantastic and I dig the route they took her character in; She's so apathetic.
Apathetic people don't answer to the plights of others. This game has just singlehandedly destroyed the notion that Ashley is purely neutral. It's more like she is unconcerned; these kinds of things don't scare her at all.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Ashley's new VA is probably better known than her original VA. That said, I wonder who voices her in Japanese. Because Ashley's original VA is... kinda huge.

Also: Ashley fights monsters in her mini-game and in her main story stage. It's like they're trying to say something...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ashley's new VA is probably better known than her original VA. That said, I wonder who voices her in Japanese. Because Ashley's original VA is... kinda huge.

Also: Ashley fights monsters in her mini-game and in her main story stage. It's like they're trying to say something...
There's like, a whole character arc for Ashley across the series regarding her growth as a witch. At first she barely knows how to concoct a potion, then she fails a spell miserably until a talking spellbook instructs her, then is able to get herself out of an accident she caused on her own, and now she's kicking a** and taking names.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I'm more concerned with this voice actor affair.
For example, if Ashley's new voice actor comes in with Ashley's playable debut, will she react to being attacked with apathetic groans and/or grunts. I can't imagine this voice screaming like a banshee when she's KO'd, so if she does get in, I'm intrigued to find out how they solve this voice actor dilemma.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Ashley's New VA has already been recorded for Smash. Back during Brawl people thought Krystal was getting in the game because her voice actor claimed to have done recordings for Smash. Turned out Krystal's was only heard in the codec calls.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
My goodness, her voice actress sounds like an ASMR professional. It's fantastic and I dig the route they took her character in; She's so apathetic.
great another asmr fan on here!(well asmr is pretty popular but ye) also someone said Ashley for smash in the comment section of that video and it got over 200 likes, its great to know there are more people that like her outside of here from the west

actually a lot of the comments want her in smash

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Geez, You sleep for 10 hours and you miss everything!
She sounds a little older than I imagined, but that voice is amazing and i'm freaking out!
That Red is spot on too! I really hope this is her Smash voice!

Top Bottom