• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Close enough

Haha, well I know Nintendo's technically dabbled in card games before, like with the Pokemon Trading Card video game and Card Hero, but you know what I mean. It's not a genre they have done a whole lot with.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You didn't seem to flinch when I said Geno waa getting into base, Jazzy.

At this point after the Enix guess from Vergeban, are you feeling confident on his odds?
Actually, I think Vergeben's credibility is shaky at best. xD

If anything is solidifying my confidence at this point it's the confirmation from Sakurai himself that he's referring to the ballot results. Similarly, he mentioned that King K. Rool received "tons of votes" much in the same manner that he referred to Geno as receiving "tons of votes" in the 2016 interview.

Still, as always, I'm cautious. >_>

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo should make their own digital card game sort of like Hearthstone and have Ashley as the "host".
It wouldn't be the first time a Witch has been the face of a card game. (Technically Necromancer but close enough)
51oD6k6EuWL__SX355_.jpg

Hearthstone was designed to be a game easy for spectators to follow, because of this and other reasons (being themed on the popular MMORPG) it has a high number of viewers on Twitch.

Unfortunately, Magic the Gathering was designed in a pre-internet era. The only time Magic reaches Hearthstone levels of views is during Grand Pre Weekends. It's a hard game to follow as a spectator unless you can memorize the cards played within the top 25 decks or so within the format.

In all seriousness though, if Nintendo knew what they were doing they could make a digital card game that could surpass Hearthstone in Twitch stream activity. That being said, I don't know if Nintendo likes having their games streamed on Twitch especially, after seeing their YouTube policies.

If Nintendo ever did want to make a card game then Ashley would make for a ideal mascot. She would give it a magical feel while at the same time a cartoonish humor fitting for Nintendo.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And once we manage to get her over the Smash threshold, I'm sure her popularity will continue to take off. Maybe then we'll get that spinoff, haha.

Speaking of which, if Ashley got a spinoff game, what would you want to see? I think an updated and expanded version of Pumpkin Panic would be pretty cool, myself.
I'm not even sure tbh, but that's why I'm not a game designer. I would be down with some sort of RPG or something. lulz.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
This one recent one paints Ashley as rather nasty but it's pretty accurate. Good to see her acknowledged more in fanart btw.

View attachment 159230
WOOMY!
And that does represent her usually surly even on a good day personality better. Grumpy Ashley can be cutest Ashley ^_^
Though as we've noted before, her character is starting to mature as to not be as standoffish as before. She's opening up more to her peers nowadays.
There's a few possible flaws, but nothing that would turn it down. Gardevoir is a popular mon, and no one else guessed at Richter. Gothitelle would just be added for the easy echo. (No one else could fit gardevoir.)
Delta wants sceptile in so he's going to go against it lol.
I don't know what new Pokemon we'll be getting in this Smash, or if it will even be in the base roster. But I don't think it'll be Gardevoir or Gothitelle... some people put too much faith in these 'leaks' during speculation time if you ask me.
It would be cool though to see Goth and Ashley together on a doubles team lol
That is based off the Smash Poll Consolidation spreadsheet. Also, this wheel exempts any character who had been truly disconfirmed(Captain Toad was kept in case of an Alfonzo situation, but I doubt it). When it came to where Ashley placed, she was just under Bomberman and just above Daisy. Here's the doc.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469
So actually she's higher than everyone else on that pie chart that's underneath Custom Robo isn't she?
And here on other sites people been shoving this thing in my face and telling me to give up on Ashley already, that it's never going to happen becuz "she's not even a dot on the map"! I JUST KNEW it had to be misrepresenting information! The pie chart that is, the spreadsheet looks solid. I've learned to hate that smug pie chart... It's just a skewed version of things by someone who must hate the idea of AT's becoming fighters.
Frankly, it's already incredible that she was at #18 back then considering she was AT'd and not as popular in the West at the time.

I wouldn't doubt her being a Top 5 pick going forward.
Yeah and that's the kicker too! This information was all compiled at time where most polls had a bias against AT's, so characters like Waluigi, Ashley, and Shadow weren't even allowed to be voted for in certain ones like them. So as high as Ashley is, the odds were unusually and unfairly stacked against her and other AT's at the time to begin with! The spreadsheet is more honest than the pie chart, but that doesn't help seeing all the info collected at that time was marginally skewed in the 1st place.
So if you're asking me, it can't be entirely accurate; these things rarely are, in a reality without crooked polls Ashley could have been much higher.
Nintendo should make their own digital card game sort of like Hearthstone and have Ashley as the "host".
Cool idea, but I'd love a game where Ashley could be directly playable much more~
I finally made the first tweet!

https://twitter.com/AshleyForSmash/status/1033157078515363840

I will keep thinking in how to proceed from here and I will keep working on it. BTW, sorry if this comes across as beggy, but some likes and retweets would help a lot to kickstart some growth!
Oh cool it looks like you're using the AshleyforSmashley hash tag! Welp, it looks like im gonna have to break down and make a twitter account as well before too long so i can help support too! :b::bee:

StormC

Smash Hero

If anything is solidifying my confidence at this point it's the confirmation from Sakurai himself that he's referring to the ballot results. Similarly, he mentioned that King K. Rool received "tons of votes" much in the same manner that he referred to Geno as receiving "tons of votes" in the 2016 interview.

Sakurai never mentioned the ballot with Geno. Just that Geno “always got a ton of requests.”

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

I'm still not fully trusting Vergeben either. Which is weird for me because at this point I probably should trust him already with his correct predictions, but something about him just feels off to me.

I feel like he definitely got a hold of some legit info, but not nearly as much as he claims. A lot of his predictions do feel like the small smattering of legit stuff combined with some logical deduction and very good cold reading. The big thing that tipped me off is how he plays games with just who exactly is gonna be the 7th Gen Pokemon rep. From my experience anytime somebody starts playing games with their audience it's usually a way to cover up a blind spot with bull**** to make their way through when they don't have anything real on hand.

Like, maybe he's right and he does have multiple sources, but that also sounds like a convenient way to give him an out for anytime he gets it wrong or doesn't guess a big surprise like K. Rool. "Oh don't worry it's just that one source that was bad honest!"

Him casting a broad but unspecific net such as saying "a" Square Enix character is coming without naming names also tips me off. Maybe he's telling the truth and he really doesn't know, or maybe he's just making the bet that, seeing how Cloud is in the game, Square is on board with another rep so that if anybody, whether it be Terra Branford or Geno, gets in he can go "See, told ya!" without making any specific claims, a classic cold reading trick.

I don't know, if he really does guess something that was totally left field again then maybe my trust will grow, but the fact that he could be using a good number of tricks scam artists use leaves a lingering doubt that I just can't shake.

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Haha, well I know Nintendo's technically dabbled in card games before, like with the Pokemon Trading Card video game and Card Hero, but you know what I mean. It's not a genre they have done a whole lot with.
To be fair, the Pokémon Trading Card game was created and maintained by The Pokémon Company, which itself is only 33% managed by Nintendo. The Pokémon brand is not a distinct Nintendo property.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
To be fair, the Pokémon Trading Card game was created and maintained by The Pokémon Company, which itself is only 33% managed by Nintendo. The Pokémon brand is not a distinct Nintendo property.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, we're both talking about "Pokemon Trading Card Game", the video game that was developed by Creatures and Hudson Soft for the Game Boy Color, right? I mean, you're not wrong about the legalities surrounding Pokemon, but I was just referring to the video game, haha.

That being said, Pokemon content notwithstanding, Nintendo's only "card-based RPG" series that I can think of is Card Hero.

And to return to the initial topic, I want to see Nintendo do something with Pumpkin Panic. It's simple enough to be somewhat addictive, but I feel like there's an actual game (or a standalone eShop title) buried in that darn vegetable patch.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Just to make sure we're on the same page, we're both talking about "Pokemon Trading Card Game", the video game that was developed by Creatures and Hudson Soft for the Game Boy Color, right? I mean, you're not wrong about the legalities surrounding Pokemon, but I was just referring to the video game, haha.

That being said, Pokemon content notwithstanding, Nintendo's only "card-based RPG" series that I can think of is Card Hero.

And to return to the initial topic, I want to see Nintendo do something with Pumpkin Panic. It's simple enough to be somewhat addictive, but I feel like there's an actual game (or a standalone eShop title) buried in that darn vegetable patch.
I could see it work if it was turned into more of a Top-Down Shooter/Tower Defense hybrid if you add to Ashley's abilities beyond just shooting, let her summon demons to fight alongside her, and give more concrete goals beside "protect x for y amount of time."

Has anyone ever played the oldschool Army Men games for PC back in the day? The one where you control Sarge Top-Down style where you fight the tan army with a variety of weapons while having a limited RTS style control over your own green army men? I could very easily see an Ashley game done in that style. Please somebody make this I miss the oldschool Army Men games so much.

EDIT: Have some pictures and a video to see what I mean.

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon

Of course. No worries. I understood what your implications were. I only meant to point out that Nintendo specifically has done very little, but not nothing, in regards to card game production. I believe that for them to take a look at the genre again would require some sort of exceptional gimmick on their part.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I could see it work if it was turned into more of a Top-Down Shooter/Tower Defense hybrid if you add to Ashley's abilities beyond just shooting, let her summon demons to fight alongside her, and give more concrete goals beside "protect x for y amount of time."

Has anyone ever played the oldschool Army Men games for PC back in the day? The one where you control Sarge Top-Down style where you fight the tan army with a variety of weapons while having a limited RTS style control over your own green army men? I could very easily see an Ashley game done in that style. Please somebody make this I miss the oldschool Army Men games so much.
I played Army Men: Sarge's Heroes WAAAAAAAY back in the day once on the N64, if that's any consolation, haha. ....Yyyyep. That's all I can contribute to that conversation. It's been too long, haha.

Now, a computer game I played for a substantial amount of time back in the day that sounds similar to what you're describing is Power Pete (also known as Mighty Mike on PC). And boy, thinking about a spiritual successor to Power Pete starring Ashley is probably as exciting as how you'd feel about an Army Men spiritual successor starring Ashley. The nostalgia mixed with my current interest in Ashley/WarioWare in general would be glorious.

Of course. No worries. I understood what your implications were. I only meant to point out that Nintendo specifically has done very little, but not nothing, in regards to card game production. I believe that for them to take a look at the genre again would require some sort of exceptional gimmick on their part.
No problem, I gotcha. I feel the same way. Obviously, Card Hero wasn't a smash hit, considering it never even came to the West. So if Nintendo were to revisit the genre, I'm certain it would be because they came up with a wacky gimmick that kind of flips the genre's norms on its head, similar to what they did with Splatoon.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sakurai never mentioned the ballot with Geno. Just that Geno “always got a ton of requests.”

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/
I could see how you misunderstood me. It's my fault for not being clearer.

I consider them two separate pieces of evidence: 1) he's referring to the ballot and 2) he claimed that he had a lot of requests. When I said, "Just like K. Rool" I meant that Sakurai stressed that both characters received tons of requests. The context being a moot point.

Though it wouldn't be a logical leap to infer he was referring to the ballot with Geno as well as the interview was taken in early 2016. Right around the time the roster would have been determined already for Ultimate and right after they would have already had the ballot results.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Aight fellas, so I made sone miscalculations. I said earlier that the general wario community would like a warioware character summoning move to be a thing. I was a little wrong. The mona support thread wasn't keen on this idea. I'm guessing because being summoned by a character is seen as belittling. We should know since Ashley is an assist. But being an assist to a specific character puts you directly beneath the summoner which I guess is worse.

So I'll ask you guys this. If you had to choose between Ashley being an assist trophy, or Ashley being a character summon for Wario, which of the two would you pick? Ignore the chances of becoming playable in DLC.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Aight fellas, so I made sone miscalculations. I said earlier that the general wario community would like a warioware character summoning move to be a thing. I was a little wrong. The mona support thread wasn't keen on this idea. I'm guessing because being summoned by a character is seen as belittling. We should know since Ashley is an assist. But being an assist to a specific character puts you directly beneath the summoner which I guess is worse.

So I'll ask you guys this. If you had to choose between Ashley being an assist trophy, or Ashley being a character summon for Wario, which of the two would you pick? Ignore the chances of becoming playable in DLC.
Assist for sure. Look at how much care Sakurai’s been putting into the Assists. They’re basically almost full fighters more often than not nowadays.

Plus, being an AT helps gain support for the next game.

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice

Assist personally, because they feel more ''alive'' if that makes sense

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

I wouldn't get worked up about character-specific summons, but I would prefer Ashley be an Assist Trophy. I feel like character-specific summons - should they be a thing - should be delegated to minor characters who have no hope of ever becoming playable, while Assist Trophies should be characters who are higher-priority (but not enough to make it to playable), or characters with no playable franchise ties (like Devil from Devil World, or Saki from Sin & Punishment).

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't know what new Pokemon we'll be getting in this Smash, or if it will even be in the base roster. But I don't think it'll be Gardevoir or Gothitelle... some people put too much faith in these 'leaks' during speculation time if you ask me.
It would be cool though to see Goth and Ashley together on a doubles team lol
Honestly, these seem to be top 5 most likely pokemon at this point:
5. Gardevoir (poke ball hasn’t been seen, but that really doesn’t mean much, especially since we haven’t seen many anyway)
4. Incineroar (I just doubt this ever happening. No way the pokemon company would take a pokemon not heavily marketed to use in smash. Then again, people can do questionable things)
3. Sceptile (most wanted pokemon since brawl, and definitely followed that for the ballot. A lot of moves to pull from the games that won’t look like a Cap Falcon clone like a certain fire starter we all know.)
2. Lycanroc midnight form (could happen, and probably the easiest out of the three forms to do in smash, as it’s the only bipedal one. Has a bait and punish style that not many others in smash cover.)
1. Lycanroc dusk form (heavily marketed by the pokemon company. could be very unique as one of the only fighters to remain consistently quadrupedal, the only other one being Ivysaur. A pokemon that would receive no real terrible reaction if it got in, because it’s not a starter and there wouldn’t be a heavy argument of why starter x got in over starter y.)
For Lycanroc, I see either form, maybe even both if Sakurai decided to get ambitious. Vergeben’s leaks aren’t accurate enough at all to say that Lycanroc is actually not happening. In fact, there’s tons of signs pointing to his inclusion. If Greninja taught me anything, it’s that the pokemon company usually has the mon that’s in smash be the one to get heavy marketing (even Lucario received ok marketing during the brawl era), which makes Lycanroc have a pretty strong chance compared to most other pokemon, especially with three different forms that could provide fun play styles.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
5. Gardevoir (poke ball hasn’t been seen, but that really doesn’t mean much, especially since we haven’t seen many anyway)
4. Incineroar (I just doubt this ever happening. No way the pokemon company would take a pokemon not heavily marketed to use in smash. Then again, people can do questionable things)
3. Sceptile (most wanted pokemon since brawl, and definitely followed that for the ballot. A lot of moves to pull from the games that won’t look like a Cap Falcon clone like a certain fire starter we all know.)
2. Lycanroc midnight form (could happen, and probably the easiest out of the three forms to do in smash, as it’s the only bipedal one. Has a bait and punish style that not many others in smash cover.)
1. Lycanroc dusk form (heavily marketed by the pokemon company. could be very unique as one of the only fighters to remain consistently quadrupedal, the only other one being Ivysaur. A pokemon that would receive no real terrible reaction if it got in, because it’s not a starter and there wouldn’t be a heavy argument of why starter x got in over starter y.)
For Lycanroc, I see either form, maybe even both if Sakurai decided to get ambitious. Vergeben’s leaks aren’t accurate enough at all to say that Lycanroc is actually not happening. In fact, there’s tons of signs pointing to his inclusion. If Greninja taught me anything, it’s that the pokemon company usually has the mon that’s in smash be the one to get heavy marketing (even Lucario received ok marketing during the brawl era), which makes Lycanroc have a pretty strong chance compared to most other pokemon, especially with three different forms that could provide fun play styles.
I just want to see some rad Ultra Beasts. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if either Pheromosa or Necrozma made the cut.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I just want to see some rad Ultra Beasts. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if either Pheromosa or Necrozma made the cut.
Necrozma is the only UB I see possibly taking precedence over Tapu Koko or another legendary. I’d personally be ok with it if it were to happen, but I’d still prefer it if we got Sceptile or Lycanroc (not trying to be biased in my assumptions, I just have a gut feeling that Lycanroc is the poke we’ll be seeing this time around.) as they not only have been some of my favorites, but also have some good chances for this game. Heck, Sceptile’s relevancy is as recent as June of this year, when the TCG received the Leaf Charge theme deck in Japan. He also was featured in the latest game, and having both popularity and relevance on your side is a great case for a fighter (that’s not even getting into the moveset potential or the fact that he was Ash’s rival’s main pokemon in the x and y anime). Lycanroc’s in a similar situation. He’s definitely a top pick from gen 7, and has good potential to boot. Also featured heavily in the anime and tcg right now.

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Ashley is a dlc mii costume still bugs me, every other mii costume is getting a promotion. Zero becoming an assist. K Rool being playable and so on. Maybe she is planned for DLC or I’m looking way to into this.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
The fact that Ashley is a dlc mii costume still bugs me, every other mii costume is getting a promotion. Zero becoming an assist. K Rool being playable and so on. Maybe she is planned for DLC or I’m looking way to into this.
To be fair, not every Mii Costume character has been promoted. Takamaru is still an Assist Trophy. KK Slider, Tails, Viridi, and Flying Man are still background elements. We still don't know the fate of Geno, Isabelle, and Skull Kid (but let's be real: at least two of those characters are gonna be playable, haha). And heaven knows what's up with Lloyd, Heihachi, and the blocky beat-'em-up people whose names I don't know.

That being said, we still don't know what DLC will look like. There is always a possibility that DLC expands on the more recent/relevant characters who were overlooked during the base roster's development, and Ashley sees a post-release promotion.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Not necessarily all of them. This just leaves Ashley on the same boat as Takamaru. This list is missing Chrom and Black Knight btw.

7M1FXm1.jpg

I will say that it's pretty likely that the team is already planning DLC considering Mewtwo was announced before the release of Sm4sh. For all we know, playable Ashley is being tossed around in the Smash offices right now thanks to her promotions, WW Gold, and all the support she managed to accumulate.

That's the closest thing to a bamboozle I see happening. They show Ashley as an assist and months after and before the release of Ultimate, they announce that she'll be added as DLC later on.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Not necessarily all of them. This just leaves Ashley on the same boat as Takamaru. This list is missing Chrom and Black Knight btw.

View attachment 159836

I will say that it's pretty likely that the team is already planning DLC considering Mewtwo was announced before the release of Sm4sh. For all we know, playable Ashley is being tossed around in the Smash offices right now thanks to her promotions, WW Gold, and all the buzz she generated on speculation circles.
First and foremost, I know everyone is probably tired of Fire Emblem, to some extent ... but how cool would a playable Black Knight be? That's basically Darth Vader in Smash Bros. Yes, please.

But yes, I'm pretty certain that DLC will be a thing, and that Sakurai and his team have already started bouncing ideas. But I have to stop myself from thinking about Ashley's fate too much, because my mind immediately thinks to Sakurai, sitting at his desk, thinking intently about Ashley's suddenly-expanded popularity in the West, and how a new WW game just came out ... I just can't set myself up for failure a second time.

But yeah, on the flip side, I can't rule out the possibility that that scenario actually happened.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
First and foremost, I know everyone is probably tired of Fire Emblem, to some extent ... but how cool would a playable Black Knight be? That's basically Darth Vader in Smash Bros. Yes, please.

But yes, I'm pretty certain that DLC will be a thing, and that Sakurai and his team have already started bouncing ideas. But I have to stop myself from thinking about Ashley's fate too much, because my mind immediately thinks to Sakurai, sitting at his desk, thinking intently about Ashley's suddenly-expanded popularity in the West, and how a new WW game just came out ... I just can't set myself up for failure a second time.

But yeah, on the flip side, I can't rule out the possibility that that scenario actually happened.
Yeah, it's tricky when we don't know how much Ashley was considered when Ultimate was being developed. I wish some journalist just asked him about Ashley like a few did with Geno.

Her deconfirmation last direct may have just been a nod to her growing fanbase. A "sorry we missed you" sort of thing. So they're probably aware of whats going on with her at least.

The conditions seem familiar but we have to remember that Ashley was discussed a lot less back then. A lot of her big supporters now didn't even vote for her in the ballot, and much of her themes and badges didnt make it in time for the roster finalization. The list of competitors has also gotten a lot smaller so the fact that dominos are stacking up the same way again, is a pretty good thing.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, it's tricky when we don't know how much Ashley was considered when Ultimate was being developed. I wish some journalist just asked him about Ashley like a few did with Geno.

Her deconfirmation last direct may have just been a nod to her growing fanbase. A "sorry we missed you" sort of thing. So they're probably aware of whats going on with her at least.
That's exactly what I've chalked it up to: Nintendo saw the support for the character growing, and tried to soften the blow by not getting our hopes up any longer. However, as I've said before, whether Sakurai took that discovery to heart or simply washed his hands of the situation has yet to be seen. I'm sure we're all hoping for the former, haha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The more I thought about, the more I think it'd be possible for some characters like Ashley to still get playable in some dlc. Especially if people would fork out some money, which they would (I know I would)... it should be possible. That said, I don't know entirely how much they want to dedicate to dlc characters, and they may have a reason not to make even some popular ones, but that just seems odd.

Let's say they think they wouldn't get to making her for quite a while, that may be reason enough to keep the assist trophy in and show it off to lower expectations of her for the base roster. Maybe not the case, but could still be.
So long as you can continue to support and maybe in some ways, without exerting yourself, show nintendo that you still care and want her as playable, there's still a chance for it to happen, even if not guaranteed.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
There's no way there isn't going to be DLC. Nintendo would be printing money at that point. Smash is already a cash cow and they know that people would pay more for characters that didn't make the cut the first time.

I could easily see popular characters like Ashley being made playable via DLC along with others who were popular, but didn't quite make the cut. Nintendo will likely want to support Ultimate throughout the Switch's lifespan and I still feel that there has to be a reason why they were promoting her.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

I'd rather have Ashley (in a hypothetical playable situation) transform Red into various other WarioWare characters for Smash attacks. So it's not really them being summoned as an inferior, it's just Red sporting as a well made copy of them. And they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery~
5. Gardevoir
4. Incineroar
3. Sceptile
2. Lycanroc midnight form
1. Lycanroc dusk form
Surprised not to see Decidueye or an UB on this list. Those are popular go to choices as well.
There's always the chance a gen 8 Pokemon will be revealed for DLC one day before even the next 'Pokemon Hot & Crispy' comes out on shelves in order to promote it lol
There's no way there isn't going to be DLC. Nintendo would be printing money at that point. Smash is already a cash cow and they know that people would pay more for characters that didn't make the cut the first time.

I could easily see popular characters like Ashley being made playable via DLC along with others who were popular, but didn't quite make the cut. Nintendo will likely want to support Ultimate throughout the Switch's lifespan and I still feel that there has to be a reason why they were promoting her.
Well it's already pretty much the best selling game of 2018 based on just preorders alone:
http://www.theouterhaven.net/2018/0...already-best-selling-game-for-2018-on-amazon/

I'm sure Sakurai and the smash bros team at Nintendo know there's oodles of noodles to be made by promoting popular AT's like Lyn, Waluigi, and Ashley into playable in the future :b::bee:
Can we just get a playable Knuckles so they can finally make the joke work?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Surprised not to see Decidueye or an UB on this list. Those are popular go to choices as well.
There's always the chance a gen 8 Pokemon will be revealed for DLC one day before even the next 'Pokemon Hot & Crispy' comes out on shelves in order to promote it lol
I don’t see a UB happening, especially when Tapu Koko and Necrozma exist (though Necrozma may have been too late) and gen 8 is DEFINITELY too late as it is coming out in 2019, and when the plan was finalized, Sceptile and Lycanroc just seemed like obvious choices to me. And when it comes to Decidueye, he is def. just another flavor of the month character, which hasn’t been a main point for a single character this time around. I just see Incineroar as more likely and a safer bet as fire types generally get more love, and it would be one of the WTF choices that is a signature Sakurai thing to do.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I don’t see a UB happening, especially when Tapu Koko and Necrozma exist (though Necrozma may have been too late) ...
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "Necrozma may have been too late"? He debuted in the same game as Tapu Koko, Incineroar, and non-Dusk Lycanroc, and was the box art mascot in both the games that Dusk Form Lycanroc debuted in, as well as something of a primary antagonist therein. At least three of his forms seem to be prevalent in the TCG about now. While that may seem too late for promotion, Greninja in Smash 4 has taught us that Sakurai is given access to Pokemon information well ahead of time.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "Necrozma may have been too late"? He debuted in the same game as Tapu Koko, Incineroar, and non-Dusk Lycanroc, and was the box art mascot in both the games that Dusk Form Lycanroc debuted in, as well as something of a primary antagonist therein. At least three of his forms seem to be prevalent in the TCG about now. While that may seem too late for promotion, Greninja in Smash 4 has taught us that Sakurai is given access to Pokemon information well ahead of time.
I doubt they started out with the legendaries when it came to SM, much less Necrozma, who sort of feels a bit like some rushed end game in the original release of sun and moon (seriously, never saw him in the games and I checked literally everywhere only to find on the internet that he required every ultra beast be caught). At least Tapu Koko and the other island guardians sort of had a plot point in the original games. My point I suppose is that Lycanroc was a really good mon in the original gen 7 releases, and so was Tapu Koko. Necrozma is very difficult to obtain and doesn’t appear until post game in SM, which makes him kind of pointless to even attempt to get unless you want to 100% the game, and even that still requires trading over half the ultra beasts, which might I add are already obscure enough to get. That’s why I think the plot point island guardians would be chosen as opposed to a legendary who isn’t nearly as memorable or easy to get as Mewtwo and Rayquaza, or even Kyurem. USUM wouldn’t have been in development early enough to give Necrozma any sort of edge on many of the competition.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I doubt they started out with the legendaries when it came to SM, much less Necrozma, who sort of feels a bit like some rushed end game in the original release of sun and moon (seriously, never saw him in the games and I checked literally everywhere only to find on the internet that he required every ultra beast be caught). At least Tapu Koko and the other island guardians sort of had a plot point in the original games. My point I suppose is that Lycanroc was a really good mon in the original gen 7 releases, and so was Tapu Koko. Necrozma is very difficult to obtain and doesn’t appear until post game in SM, which makes him kind of pointless to even attempt to get unless you want to 100% the game, and even that still requires trading over half the ultra beasts, which might I add are already obscure enough to get. That’s why I think the plot point island guardians would be chosen as opposed to a legendary who isn’t nearly as memorable or easy to get as Mewtwo and Rayquaza, or even Kyurem. USUM wouldn’t have been in development early enough to give Necrozma any sort of edge on many of the competition.
I guess I get why you feel that way. I have a couple qualms with that line of thinking, though:

1) Earlier on this page, you told me that you believe that Lycanroc's Dusk Form was a legitimate contender for Smash. This conflicts with your stance on USUM. Perhaps LDF is a contender, but by that logic, so is Necrozma.

2) I will agree that Necrozma was a post-game legendary in Sun/Moon, but that isn't necessarily a detriment to his case. Mewtwo served the same role in his debut game.

I'm not even necessarily that big a fan of Necrozma. I just think that it would be a missed opportunity to have a potential Gen 7 character not be one of the alternate-universe spacemen that helped make Gen 7 stand out a bit more.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I don’t see a UB happening, especially when Tapu Koko and Necrozma exist (though Necrozma may have been too late) and gen 8 is DEFINITELY too late as it is coming out in 2019, and when the plan was finalized, Sceptile and Lycanroc just seemed like obvious choices to me. And when it comes to Decidueye, he is def. just another flavor of the month character, which hasn’t been a main point for a single character this time around. I just see Incineroar as more likely and a safer bet as fire types generally get more love, and it would be one of the WTF choices that is a signature Sakurai thing to do.
Decidueye is by no means a favor of the month. Before E3 he was the most talked about Pokemon newcomer, He was added into Pokemon Tournament Dx as the only base game newcomer and the Rowlet line is the most popular Gen 7 starter line. Most only stopped talked about him due to Vergeban saying the Gen 7 Pokemon is not him or Lycanroc.

Top Bottom