• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
That’s one thing Ashley has that waluigi doesn’t: legitimate support that didn’t come almost entirely from memes (no offense to any real waluigi fans). And the way they showed her just to shut off the support before people got too disappointed with the end result... couple that with the big guns like Ridley, K. Rool, and Inkling out of the way, and I’d say she’s a lock for dlc. With how they showed her off as to not disappoint us, it shows she might be in the big three in terms of support.
As an actual unironic meme-less Waluigi fan, no offense taken.

But yes, as the huge names get confirmed one by one, and Ashley's support grows stronger, she becomes a more and more likely candidate for DLC. The only thing in her way is the Assist Trophy, but that means nothing. I seem to recall a certain company that promoted a support character to a playable role in DLC. I think it was in a game called Pokken Tournament. What was the name of that company? Dandai-Mamco? Something like that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's why I'm grateful this place exists, because people here are generally respectful of Ashley's supporters. Go other places (reddit, ugh) and people are like "who the **** is ashley?? LOL idiots thinking some irrelevant character no one knows deserves to get in. now back to why i think Isaac/Rayman/Crash/Labo Man deserve to get in..."
I hope you're not implying Crash is an "irrelevant character no one knows," lol.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That’s one thing Ashley has that waluigi doesn’t: legitimate support that didn’t come almost entirely from memes (no offense to any real waluigi fans).
Let’s not go there. Making stereotypes about fandoms just creates unnecessary divides, Hell, I’ve seen people who went from not caring about a character to actively disliking them just because a fan was rude or obnoxious to them.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
God, after this I swear to never ever gloat over or make fun at fans of characters who get disconfirmed (not that it was something I did anyways). It really hurts with basically the entire internet laughing at Ashley fans. This must be how Waluigi supporters feel.
I mean, for two months, we had everything going in our favor, and not everyone liked it. It's only natural that there will be those who see someone who's down and feel the urge to kick them for good measure.

That being said, I haven't seen a whole lot of this negativity. Granted, I spend most of my time on YouTube and Smashboards, but I would say YouTube is a pretty good indicator of the general populace, and I could probably count on one hand the amount of people who are actively happy that Ashley's disconfirmed. I don't see too much mention of her, and when I do, it's usually someone lamenting that she's an Assist Trophy.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As an actual unironic meme-less Waluigi fan, no offense taken.

But yes, as the huge names get confirmed one by one, and Ashley's support grows stronger, she becomes a more and more likely candidate for DLC. The only thing in her way is the Assist Trophy, but that means nothing. I seem to recall a certain company that promoted a support character to a playable role in DLC. I think it was in a game called Pokken Tournament. What was the name of that company? Dandai-Mamco? Something like that.
Speaking of Namco, a great left-field pick would be the man most experienced with crossovers... Reiji Arisu.

In more Ashley-related news, she apparently loves the smell of fried mandrake. But I still maintain my belief that the risks involved are part of the appeal for her. Just look at her thoroughly unimpressed glare before Ashley presents her choice of food (albeit claiming it to be something else so as to not scare her friends).

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Let’s not go there. Making stereotypes about fandoms just creates unnecessary divides, Hell, I’ve seen people who went from not caring about a character to actively disliking them just because a fan was rude or obnoxious to them.
I know, there are a lot of waluigi fans that 100% diehard fans who would support him until smash games stop existing. I support the guy too, and think he’s a great option for dlc.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Speaking of Namco, a great left-field pick would be the man most experienced with crossovers... Reiji Arisu.

In more Ashley-related news, she apparently loves the smell of fried mandrake. But I still maintain my belief that the risks involved are part of the appeal for her. Just look at her thoroughly unimpressed glare before Ashley presents her choice of food (albeit claiming it to be something else so as to not scare her friends).
If they put that person in Smash, I'm sure I'll have to Google him a second time, haha.

I cracked up at how Ashley continued to carry that mandrake thing around with her, even in the credits roll. She's so unimpressed with everything that even deadly monsters are fair game for a potluck.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
OK I'm not the kind of guy who likes to spread out false hope to others or myself, but even before Ashley's Assist Trophy confirmation, I've been thinking about how DLC would go for this game and now with Ashley's current state I'm doubling down on it.

It's obvious that Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine here. What I think a lot of people aren't taking into consideration however is just how long Nintendo could keep it going for. Nintendo have already made statements indicating that they are going to keep the Switch beyond the typical console life-cycle, and Smash games only come once a game generation. With Smash coming in fairly early into the Switch's life, it's going to sell even more consoles on top of the incredible success Nintendo is already having with the Switch. I wouldn't count out the possibility that Nintendo is gonna want to support this game for 75% of the Switch's life-cycle, which if we're assuming is around 7 or 8 years is a heck of a long time, giving us a lot of DLC characters.

That's just the obvious though, the other half of the equation is that of Amiibo, or as I would put it:

We know for sure that every single fighter that gets in gets their own Amiibo, and that Amiibo in general makes a ton of money for Nintendo and holds the honor of being the last "Toys To Life" product that hasn't gone under yet (aside from the yet unreleased "Starlink"). If I was a Nintendo marketer, the first question I would ask myself is "What character do we have available to us that for sure people will shell out money to collect?" Ashley is so popular in Japan that she is used to market games that she doesn't even appear in! In general Nintendo are pushing her hardcore because they know she sells. I don't think the importance of having an Amiibo to sell should be overlooked in potential Smash candidates.

Plus, if there's anything that playing Fire Emblem Heroes has taught me, it's that people will pay bank to get their...I am not gonna describe Ashley as a Waifu because heck no am I bringing that sin into this board or our precious little witch-in-training (Ravioli ravioli don't lewd the witchy loli). The point is there are are always going to be a certain portion of the audience that will buy almost anything featuring a certain element or character that they love, and Ashley is undoubtedly one of these characters.

To me it just makes too much sense not to do and the stars are lining up for her as we speak. Still though, it's up to Sakurai and if he doesn't feel like doing it, then I will respectfully accept his decision.

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
I was pretty sad when Ashley was deconfirmed as a character, so I'm hoping she can still make it in as DLC. Some people talk about a "rule" that assist trophies can't be promoted, but I chalk that up to Sakurai didn't really care to promote anyone back during the Smash 4 era. This time around there is no veterans to add back as DLC, and since there I feel some of the assist trophies are more "We don't have time nor resources to make this a newcomer right now" than "We can't see this character playable", there is maybe a chance some assist trophies could be playable. What would be cool if there is a "Assist Trophy Promotion Ballot" where fans could vote for an Assist trophy to be playable.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
OK I'm not the kind of guy who likes to spread out false hope to others or myself, but even before Ashley's Assist Trophy confirmation, I've been thinking about how DLC would go for this game and now with Ashley's current state I'm doubling down on it.

It's obvious that Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine here. What I think a lot of people aren't taking into consideration however is just how long Nintendo could keep it going for. Nintendo have already made statements indicating that they are going to keep the Switch beyond the typical console life-cycle, and Smash games only come once a game generation. With Smash coming in fairly early into the Switch's life, it's going to sell even more consoles on top of the incredible success Nintendo is already having with the Switch. I wouldn't count out the possibility that Nintendo is gonna want to support this game for 75% of the Switch's life-cycle, which if we're assuming is around 7 or 8 years is a heck of a long time, giving us a lot of DLC characters.

That's just the obvious though, the other half of the equation is that of Amiibo, or as I would put it:

We know for sure that every single fighter that gets in gets their own Amiibo, and that Amiibo in general makes a ton of money for Nintendo and holds the honor of being the last "Toys To Life" product that hasn't gone under yet (aside from the yet unreleased "Starlink"). If I was a Nintendo marketer, the first question I would ask myself is "What character do we have available to us that for sure people will shell out money to collect?" Ashley is so popular in Japan that she is used to market games that she doesn't even appear in! In general Nintendo are pushing her hardcore because they know she sells. I don't think the importance of having an Amiibo to sell should be overlooked in potential Smash candidates.

Plus, if there's anything that playing Fire Emblem Heroes has taught me, it's that people will pay bank to get their...I am not gonna describe Ashley as a Waifu because heck no am I bringing that sin into this board or our precious little witch-in-training (Ravioli ravioli don't lewd the witchy loli). The point is there are are always going to be a certain portion of the audience that will buy almost anything featuring a certain element or character that they love, and Ashley is undoubtedly one of these characters.

To me it just makes too much sense not to do and the stars are lining up for her as we speak. Still though, it's up to Sakurai and if he doesn't feel like doing it, then I will respectfully accept his decision.
Of course, you have to take into account that Sakurai will eventually have to begin planning for Smash 6, and also have a life (I know it's hard to think of the man not cooped up in a dark room staring at an alpha of the newest Smash, but I imagine he actually wants to spend time with that wife and cat of his), but yes, with Smash releasing in the middle of Year 2 of the Switch's seven-to-ten-year lifespan, you can bet there will be a decent bit of DLC. And Ashley is certainly one of those characters that people would shell out oodles of coin for, if the Badge Arcade is any indication. The fact that they haven't taken advantage of that fact is criminal, haha. I want me an Ashley amiibo.

I was pretty sad when Ashley was deconfirmed as a character, so I'm hoping she can still make it in as DLC. Some people talk about a "rule" that assist trophies can't be promoted, but I chalk that up to Sakurai didn't really care to promote anyone back during the Smash 4 era. This time around there is no veterans to add back as DLC, and since there I feel some of the assist trophies are more "We don't have time nor resources to make this a newcomer right now" than "We can't see this character playable", there is maybe a chance some assist trophies could be playable. What would be cool if there is a "Assist Trophy Promotion Ballot" where fans could vote for an Assist trophy to be playable.
I agree with everything you're saying, but more importantly...what is that profile picture from? It made me audibly chuckle when I saw it, it looks so goofy, haha.

Seriously though, even in a hypothetical Assist Promotion Ballot, Ashley would have some tough competition. Let's not forget that Zero, Bomberman, Waluigi, Knuckles, and Shovel Knight are all Assist Trophies. (Let's be honest with ourselves: Rodin would win due to being "the most realizable character" as a means to advertise Bayonetta 3.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they put that person in Smash, I'm sure I'll have to Google him a second time, haha.

I cracked up at how Ashley continued to carry that mandrake thing around with her, even in the credits roll. She's so unimpressed with everything that even deadly monsters are fair game for a potluck.
Hey now, she did still have more fun playing games at the potluck than she'd probably care to admit. You could say putting all these wacky employees together is a recipe for far greater pandemonium than Ashley could ever fathom on her own.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
And Ashley is certainly one of those characters that people would shell out oodles of coin for, if the Badge Arcade is any indication. The fact that they haven't taken advantage of that fact is criminal, haha. I want me an Ashley amiibo.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself. I wonder if Nintendo will one day release sales data for Badge Arcade, down to series, character, or even individual badges. Probably not, but I've been thinking that Nintendo can gauge exactly how much Ashley is wanted this way.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
On the flipside, grace under pressure can earn you support. I only really ever wanted Ridley. Most other characters I've ever actually supported have come because I've seen other people either making illogical arguments against them or ridiculing their fans.

For example, under ordinary circumstances, I'd be irked at how Fire Emblem has so many clones, just as most people do, but the hate towards the franchise itself for its large number of characters (quick-to-make clones or not) have led me to defend them even though I would cut (or give original movesets to one of them) Lucy, Chrom, and Roy if it were up to me.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I noticed that a lot of Ashley hate is coming from 4chan....

In other news, the sky is blue....
That explains why I haven't seen much of it. I don't visit 4chan too often.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself. I wonder if Nintendo will one day release sales data for Badge Arcade, down to series, character, or even individual badges. Probably not, but I've been thinking that Nintendo can gauge exactly how much Ashley is wanted this way.
That's why I usually gauge the success of the Badge Arcade based on representation. I know that the consensus among some is that Ashley has such a pronounced presence there due to Ko Takeuchi's fondness for drawing her, but Nintendo is still a business. They would only let him run wild in that way if they were reaping some sort of benefits from doing so. To insinuate otherwise is almost like imagining that the Badge Arcade was just Takeuchi's daycare center, and that Nintendo had no intentions of making money off of it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On the flipside, grace under pressure can earn you support. I only really ever wanted Ridley. Most other characters I've ever actually supported have come because I've seen other people either making illogical arguments against them or ridiculing their fans.

For example, under ordinary circumstances, I'd be irked at how Fire Emblem has so many clones, just as most people do, but the hate towards the franchise itself for its large number of characters (quick-to-make clones or not) have led me to defend them even though I would cut (or give original movesets to one of them) Lucy, Chrom, and Roy if it were up to me.
Exactly, and we want people to join Ashley’s cause, even if it’s just like how many people supported Ridley or K. Rool just so that their fans could finally get their due. Plus, Ashley and Waluigi are now strange bedfellows in the whole ‘AT to playable in DLC’ ordeal (who’d have thunk it).

At the end of the day we’re all Smash fans, we should stand together, not apart.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's why I usually gauge the success of the Badge Arcade based on representation. I know that the consensus among some is that Ashley has such a pronounced presence there due to Ko Takeuchi's fondness for drawing her, but Nintendo is still a business. They would only let him run wild in that way if they were reaping some sort of benefits from doing so. To insinuate otherwise is almost like imagining that the Badge Arcade was just Takeuchi's daycare center, and that Nintendo had no intentions of making money off of it.
Takeuchi may like Ashley but yes, as a business, what sells is what matters. Not a developers pet character. So you'd be correct. Much like the reason Ashley got three (high selling) 3DS themes, she had a heavy presence in the Badge Arcade. The Badge Arcade is a Gacha game, and what's popular in those types of games always gets new stuff because people will pay to get them. I don't think her JP popularity is overstated and I do honestly believe she missed the cut by a slim margin (whatever that may be) to the point where I still think there's a chance.

3DS theme ranking:
Ashley's Recipies
Ashley's Magic
Ashley Halloween

More over, I'm ending up even more curious as to what Ashley's future potential hinted in the badge arcade may be and am pretty excited to say the least

I noticed that a lot of Ashley hate is coming from 4chan....

In other news, the sky is blue....
All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley was still one of 4chan's most wanted. Trolls are just very stupidly vocal on 4chan.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
This question was asked on the Mona thread, since Ashley is now axed from the base roster, would we be willing to show our support for other Warioware characters? I love Warioware now, so I have shown my support to the Mona and Katana threads.

Beyond me wanting them as female fighters for the cast, it's important to bridge any divide we have with the general Wario community. People may get the wrong idea that we generally don't care for the series and while it's not wrong to just like Ashley's potential in Smash, I don't think it's accurate to us as a group.

So I encourage you, if you care enough about Warioware representation, to show your support in those threads.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
This question was asked on the Mona thread, since Ashley is now axed from the base roster, would we be willing to show our support for other Warioware characters? I love Warioware now, so I have shown my support to the Mona and Katana threads.

Beyond me wanting them as female fighters for the cast, it's important to bridge any divide we have with the general Wario community. People may get the wrong idea that we generally don't care for the series and while it's not wrong to just like Ashley's potential in Smash, I don't think it's accurate to us as a group.

So I encourage you, if you care enough about Warioware representation, to show your support in those threads.
Great Idea. Even if it means that there won't be an Ashley (cause I doubt WarioWare is gonna ever get three reps), any WarioWare representation is good. I found the Mona support thread for Ultimate but the Kat and Ana threads all look like they were for the previous games, anybody got the link?

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-cutest-multitasker-mona-for-smash-switch.446358/

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Great Idea. Even if it means that there won't be an Ashley (cause I doubt WarioWare is gonna ever get three reps), any WarioWare representation is good. I found the Mona support thread for Ultimate but the Kat and Ana threads all look like they were for the previous games, anybody got the link?

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-cutest-multitasker-mona-for-smash-switch.446358/
It's right here, the creator Riley posted it earlier in the thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/twi...amond-city-kat-ana-for-smash-ultimate.457314/

Btw, thank you for showing your support for Mona!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I guess she got in Mario Kart. Not sure when that happened, but perhaps that is where they thought she would fit best as a playable character.. Sorry guys..

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I guess she got in Mario Kart. Not sure when that happened, but perhaps that is where they thought she would fit best as a playable character.. Sorry guys..
wut? She's not in Mario Kart. Trust me, if she were we'd be ecstatic as **** as Smash would be the next step.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, Isaac supporter here. I just wanted to take the time out of the Isaac thread to give emotional support to you guys. It's a shame Ashley was deconfirmed as I think she would be an amazing character. With few "pure-magic" characters in Smash (Robin uses a sword after all), it would have been really neat to see another Zelda like character who has to focus on magic attacks. And the broom as a recovery? Would have been so much fun!

Let me just say while my heart belongs to Isaac, the moment he ever gets confirmed I will add my cause to the Ashley fans group just to help you guys out :)

Keep on supporting the wicked Witch chums! I'm rooting for you all for Smash 6 :)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
while Mona usually was my top pick from wario ware... I have to admit that this whole speculation cycle have made the idea of ashley as a playable character grow on me a lot.

Add me to teh supporter lists, even if pledging support to a disconfirmed character seems super silly. On the other hands, this are the characters that need it the most XD

JJtheDragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJtheDragon
3DS FC
0216-0918-4359
Add me to that supporters list plz. We gotta just keep growing if we want that chance at dlc. :)

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
while Mona usually was my top pick from wario ware... I have to admit that this whole speculation cycle have made the idea of ashley as a playable character grow on me a lot.

Add me to teh supporter lists, even if pledging support to a disconfirmed character seems super silly. On the other hands, this are the characters that need it the most XD
Exactly. Giving up because "they are already disconfirmed" is the real defeat. I gave up on Ashley once before, not anymore.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know who in Warioware has moveset potential? Penny. Her hairclip fires missiles according to Gold :crazy::laugh:.

5-Volt is doing her damnednest to dethrone Ashley as my favourite Warioware character. Humming the Super Mario Bros overworld and underground themes as omens of her approach is just too much. And after reading about why she loves her firefighting husband as well as applying that knowledge to her story reactions to Mr. Sparkle... :smirk:.

Yeah she's definitely a character with adult appeal.

A while ago a watched a Failboat reaction vid about Gold. He raised an interesting question regarding the Spotpass functionality in the game. What IS Nintendo monitoring about Gold exactly? If it's what games or modes are played most often... Ashley fans, you know what you must do.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You know who in Warioware has moveset potential? Penny. Her hairclip fires missiles according to Gold :crazy::laugh:.

5-Volt is doing her damnednest to dethrone Ashley as my favourite Warioware character. Humming the Super Mario Bros overworld and underground themes as omens of her approach is just too much. And after reading about why she loves her firefighting husband as well as applying that knowledge to her story reactions to Mr. Sparkle... :smirk:.

A while ago a watched a Failboat reaction vid about Gold. He raised an interesting question regarding the Spotpass functionality in the game. What IS Nintendo monitoring about Gold exactly? If it's what games or modes are played most often... Ashley fans, you know what you must do.
WW Gold surely fleshed out 5-Volt! I also loved the Barbecue part of the story.
Talking about Gold and the ultra-league, Fronk minigames are so vicious.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

I've been wondering about the SpotPass thing, myself. I'm normally creeped out by corporations trying to pry into my personal life, but if Nintendo wants to confirm the world's love for Ashley so that they can make her a spin-off character, then sure, I'll let them pry a little, haha.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
WW Gold surely fleshed out 5-Volt! I also loved the Barbecue part of the story.
Talking about Gold and the ultra-league, Fronk minigames are so vicious.
And yet Fronk himself is such a chill guy. "You failed" (C.Q Cumber relative confirmed). When you say "vicious", do you mean hard, or the fact that most of his games involve harming or inconveniencing other members of his species?

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, Isaac supporter here. I just wanted to take the time out of the Isaac thread to give emotional support to you guys. It's a shame Ashley was deconfirmed as I think she would be an amazing character. With few "pure-magic" characters in Smash (Robin uses a sword after all), it would have been really neat to see another Zelda like character who has to focus on magic attacks. And the broom as a recovery? Would have been so much fun!

Let me just say while my heart belongs to Isaac, the moment he ever gets confirmed I will add my cause to the Ashley fans group just to help you guys out :)

Keep on supporting the wicked Witch chums! I'm rooting for you all for Smash 6 :)
While Isaac still has a chance, if he doesn't make it in you guys will have it much more rough than us. If that were to happen then I guess we'll extend comfort out to the rest.

Anything with a reference to Spaceballs is going to get a like from me.

This is one thing I worry about going forward. When DLC comes around are people going to view Waluigi and Ashley as competing for the "Assist Trophy character" slot?

I would say Waluigi getting in would look good for Ashley and vice versa. I feel like all the assist trophy character supporters should push for DLC. Getting an AT character in would break the fan made rule and encourage others who wanted an AT character to be playable to continue.

All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley was still one of 4chan's most wanted. Trolls are just very stupidly vocal on 4chan.
What I find interesting about Ashley's 4chan presence is that she is depicted differently that the other characters who get deconfirmed. Waluigi is memed simply as the guy with bad luck who is never invited to the party. Any other characters get something like this but to a lesser extent as well.

Ashley on the other hand, I've seen shown as a brutally beaten or executed martyr. There's a much darker sense of humor seeing Ashley being crucified than Waluigi taking the wrong exit ramp off a highway.

The people who make those memes are just trying to rub salt in the wounds of Ashley fans but, what they might not realize is that they are bringing attention to Ashley. People who are out of the loop wont be able to deny Ashley made an impact on the community after seeing multiple images of Ashley being beaten or killed.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
This is one thing I worry about going forward. When DLC comes around are people going to view Waluigi and Ashley as competing for the "Assist Trophy character" slot?

I would say Waluigi getting in would look good for Ashley and vice versa. I feel like all the assist trophy character supporters should push for DLC. Getting an AT character in would break the fan made rule and encourage others who wanted an AT character to be playable to continue.
Absolutely. Any AT getting upgraded during DLC would permanently toss out the fan rule and is therefore a win for everyone (including Ashley) in the long term. I think there will be some opportunity for a collective effort across the different fanbases. We're all in the same boat here.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
And yet Fronk himself is such a chill guy. "You failed" (C.Q Cumber relative confirmed). When you say "vicious", do you mean hard, or the fact that most of his games involve harming or inconveniencing other members of his species?
Yeah, Fronk is chill! And they are hard, they are meant to catch you off-guard. When the game speed up, it's insane.

Top Bottom