• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just reading Ultimate information kind of hurts after the Ashley deconfirmation. I didn't know how much I really wanted her until her chances disappeared. I don't really have much else to be excited for in my life because I'm a loser, so Smash hype has been really good for me, and making fun of other people's choices has given me a lot of pleasure. I'm probably much more engaged in this Smash cycle than I was in Smash 4, and now I know how people must have felt when Ridley was revealed as a boss for Smash 4. It's a ****ty feeling. I'm still trying to look forward by rooting for characters like Karate Joe, Saki, and Rayman, but it's not the same because I wanted Ashley so much more, and the speculation about her was far more exciting.
Yeah, This how I felt. Going into Smash Speculation Ridley, K Rool and Ashley were my most wanted that I felt had good chances. Shantae and Vaati rounded out my top 5, but those were pipedreams. Characters I know won't get in and would be happy if they were even assists. Now that the fates of those three are known I really have nothing to speculate and it's not as fun without Ashley.

I can relate to certain things on here oof. Also it might just be me but it feels like this thread has died down a little inside
It's definitely slowed down, but I really hope the support doesn't die down so soon.

Hey guys, here's my support to Ashley! Hope you like it and share it :3

https://twitter.com/Leehzart_Labs/status/1028510812137316352
Consider it liked~

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
They could make the reactions to R.O.B., Corrin and Bayonetta look tame and even joyful. I cannot imagine the developers being so completely ignorant of this. If they were at all smart, they would never pick them to be among the first promoted.
Except people got used to R.O.B. The other two are near impossible to beat out in terms of WTF status. Bayonetta, because we all know she didn’t even win the smash ballot which caused a huge controversy until it was known the ballot would be used in the future and she’s always OP because Sakurai refuses to nerf her enough for it to actually matter. Corrin, because no one likes this character except for the small amount of people with a foot fetish. Everyone else was outraged from what I can tell. So yeah, kind of hard for Kat & Ana to be that bad.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
From what I can tell, we only have a few logical AT promotions left: Shadow and Isabelle are obviously echoes, as neither has been seen yet and are easy to make. They also have some popularity on their side. Kat & Ana, Dillon, Skull Kid, and maybe Elec Man are all candidates for unique fighters. (If fire emblem can have seven very generic characters, than these other guys might as well all be playable.)

Last edited:

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Other possible Assists are Saki and Isaac, who both haven't been shown yet. Saki is actually looking decently likely because the only way to make him true to his games and keep him balanced is to make full use of the newly added decimal percentage, which could be a reason why it was included. Isaac is also one of the more highly requested characters, so he can't be counted out.

Dilliciouz

Smash Cadet
I really want ashley as DLC...I hope we can make it happen, I also hope for japanese fans to speak up as well.

Tenny

Smash Rookie
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-a...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition i made a petition about ashley so if anybody is interested you can check out don't forget to share if you want , i maybe sound a little crazy when i talk about why she need to be in but it's only because i want to stand up and not just falling down and my principal goal is getting attention from sakurai or anyone from nintendo , also i don't even know if we can share links in this site this is my first time XD. (This is actually my first post ever in this website)
Also don't expect to get a response from me if you want to talk because i'm super shy and i don't talk english correctly lmao anyway have a good day !

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Other possible Assists are Saki and Isaac, who both haven't been shown yet. Saki is actually looking decently likely because the only way to make him true to his games and keep him balanced is to make full use of the newly added decimal percentage, which could be a reason why it was included. Isaac is also one of the more highly requested characters, so he can't be counted out.
I don’t really count Isaac because his AT wasn’t in smash 4, so he wouldn’t exactly be getting promoted from assist. And I just don’t see Saki happening, at least for base game. As far as we know there is definitely one more assist massacre. Only then will we know who got promoted. (Or scrapped completely.)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Just reading Ultimate information kind of hurts after the Ashley deconfirmation. I didn't know how much I really wanted her until her chances disappeared. I don't really have much else to be excited for in my life because I'm a loser, so Smash hype has been really good for me, and making fun of other people's choices has given me a lot of pleasure. I'm probably much more engaged in this Smash cycle than I was in Smash 4, and now I know how people must have felt when Ridley was revealed as a boss for Smash 4. It's a ****ty feeling. I'm still trying to look forward by rooting for characters like Karate Joe, Saki, and Rayman, but it's not the same because I wanted Ashley so much more, and the speculation about her was far more exciting.
Same. I haven't watched Ultimate discussion for this reason. I wouldn't have put all my eggs into one basket, but I didn't really care for anyone else.

Hey guys, here's my support to Ashley! Hope you like it and share it :3

https://twitter.com/Leehzart_Labs/status/1028510812137316352
This is an awesome post! I recommend sharing it on Reddit if you haven't already.

From what I can tell, we only have a few logical AT promotions left: Shadow and Isabelle are obviously echoes, as neither has been seen yet and are easy to make. They also have some popularity on their side. Kat & Ana, Dillon, Skull Kid, and maybe Elec Man are all candidates for unique fighters. (If fire emblem can have seven very generic characters, than these other guys might as well all be playable.)
I don't see Elec Man getting in because he's not relevant. The other 3 I think have a varying degrees of chances with SK probably being the only likely one. I'm skeptical as to whether Saki, Isaac, or Skull Kid makes it in but I wouldn't mind them. The less competition for DLC, the better.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-a...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition i made a petition about ashley so if anybody is interested you can check out don't forget to share if you want , i maybe sound a little crazy when i talk about why she need to be in but it's only because i want to stand up and not just falling down and my principal goal is getting attention from sakurai or anyone from nintendo , also i don't even know if we can share links in this site this is my first time XD. (This is actually my first post ever in this website)
Also don't expect to get a response from me if you want to talk because i'm super shy and i don't talk english correctly lmao anyway have a good day !
I'm slightly concerned about this, petitions for gaming have somewhat of a bad rep since the Wii U days. Also it's a bit odd to just say she can't be playable in a petition about making her playable.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Damn, I had no notifications for the thread.

I finally got Warioware Gold yesterday, great game. The french voice acting is nice too, although I believe that there's not too much voice actors and that some of them voice several characters.
I need to unlock Ashley's mini-game.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Damn, I had no notifications for the thread.

I finally got Warioware Gold yesterday, great game. The french voice acting is nice too, although I believe that there's not too much voice actors and that some of them voice several characters.
I need to unlock Ashley's mini-game.
Hopefully you have better luck than me. I've been playing the game since it came out Stateside on the 3rd, and have yet to get that darn game, haha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
[...]
I think Kat & Ana would stand a very good chance of becoming the most controversial pick in the series' history. They could make the reactions to R.O.B., Corrin and Bayonetta look tame and even joyful. I cannot imagine the developers being so completely ignorant of this. If they were at all smart, they would never pick them to be among the first promoted.
I think you're being pretty hard on them. You're right they aren't the best choice in terms of popularity, Ashley was. But Ashley's not in right now.
There's been controversy and upset with any sword character being added, it's nothing new. It all doesn't matter as much as do they have support or not?
I'm a Kat & Ana fan but I was never vocal about it. Maybe others weren't either, maybe it's a sensitive fanbase lol, I dunno. But I do know that they're loveable and cute, and would make for a great ninja duo. And we don't have to give reasons to not have someone if people want to cheer a character on they should have the right to do that.

That said, Kat&Ana were in smash before any other warioware reps besides wario, so it's possible Nintendo themselves likes them. And that goes beyond popularity in some cases, since there's some characters no one would've asked for but we got anyway. So I say they have a chance, and there's no reason to be against them besides insecurity (of your own character not having a spot, or w/e).

I'm for Ashley too, it doesn't need to be a feud, everyone can be cheered on:) .. and I'm only talking about Kat & Ana right now because she's not in. I'd love for Mona as an alternative, but having two cuteys running around with shurikens (or other ninja stuff, and animals) or whatever, is pretty appealing to me :D

Also, when has Sakurai been totally sane? Sometimes stuff (and inspiration) happens.

On another note, I didn't fully realize how people here were feeling about Ashley, and I'm touched by the care.
Sometimes it's hard not to get invested, but it's ok to be hurt, but you deserve also to be happy, regardless.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Hopefully you have better luck than me. I've been playing the game since it came out Stateside on the 3rd, and have yet to get that darn game, haha.
You're probably really close by now. I've had the game for the same amount and I already unlocked everything except the B and A Cards.

This and the Mona thread are probably the only other threads I'll support.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was inspired to make a thread too. One for Monster Hunter, it kind of shocks me how little of an impact the reveal of Rathalos seems to have had considering he has own fight, "stage" and music. A fighter would be all it takes to complete the representation.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
It certainly didn't take long for the entire internet to turn on Ashley. Seems like she's in the same boat as Waluigi now
Belmont laff.jpg

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It certainly didn't take long for the entire internet to turn on Ashley. Seems like she's in the same boat as Waluigi now
View attachment 157274
Just ignore it. Assholes are everywhere. That goes for other haters too. Don't get flustered by anyone who disagrees with Ashley being playable because she's an assist. Just support her inclusion, Don't argue it.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Haven’t posted in the thread yet because I missed the initial reaction then it disappeared for a bit.

I have to say, getting K Rool in (and Chrom, for me personally) definitely lessened the sting. But it still hurt to see Ashley announced as an AT with no fanfare.

That said, with the amazing roster we have I can’t complain.

But I do support her if Sakurai decides to upgrade ATs to playable for DLC. I think her and Waluigi really have a chance because of fan reactions and support

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Welcome to the internet. I’m going to guarantee there are people who hate K. Rool just as much and wanted lord fredrik instead. Always ignore hate and focus on the support.
Exactly this. No opinion on the Internet has unanimous support, ever. Ashley being a viable Smash Bros. candidate is no exception. And it doesn't matter what a few stragglers on the Internet think, anyway. The question is, has Ashley's support made an impression on Sakurai enough to add her as DLC later? It obviously made enough of an impression for him to reveal Ashley as an AT and rip the band-aid off before support could grow any more, so I'd say we're doing something right, even if there are those who would rather see us unhappy, or who were quick to abandon ship after the disconfirmation. Again, those people's opinions don't matter.

Haven’t posted in the thread yet because I missed the initial reaction then it disappeared for a bit.

I have to say, getting K Rool in (and Chrom, for me personally) definitely lessened the sting. But it still hurt to see Ashley announced as an AT with no fanfare.

That said, with the amazing roster we have I can’t complain.

But I do support her if Sakurai decides to upgrade ATs to playable for DLC. I think her and Waluigi really have a chance because of fan reactions and support
I felt the same way. King K. Rool was my most-wanted during the Ballot (delegated to third most-wanted during Ultimate's development), and any and all Metroid representation is welcome by me, so K. Rool and Dark Samus more than numbed the disappointment I felt seeing her as an AT again. I'm still going to buy the game, and there's a lot that I'm excited about, but my most-wanted newcomer remaining an Assist Trophy is not one of those things.

That being said, I have high hopes for DLC this go-around, which is why I won't stop campaigning for Ashley DLC until DLC officially comes to a close.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That being said, I have high hopes for DLC this go-around, which is why I won't stop campaigning for Ashley DLC until DLC officially comes to a close.
Same. If Sakurai's really interested in fulfilling the fan desires for Ultimate, I can see the DLC going a bit crazy. First wave would be those that missed the bus (Springman, Rex, Edelgard and a Gen 8 Pokemon) while the 2nd wave can be fan favorites that didn't make it in including an assist trophy or two. Waluigi and Ashley are the two that make the most sense for promotion as I don't believe 3rd parties will for various factors.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let’s wait a little to start campaigning guys, like a little later this week we can start but we should make the account as soon as possible.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Same. If Sakurai's really interested in fulfilling the fan desires for Ultimate, I can see the DLC going a bit crazy. First wave would be those that missed the bus (Springman, Rex, Edelgard and a Gen 8 Pokemon) while the 2nd wave can be fan favorites that didn't make it in including an assist trophy or two. Waluigi and Ashley are the two that make the most sense for promotion as I don't believe 3rd parties will for various factors.
The roster's already looking pretty "ultimate" as is, but DLC that caters to the younger Nintendo fans who were comparably overlooked during the base game's development would crank that up to "perfect".

And yeah, I'm hoping that third-parties for DLC will be minimal. The base roster has Simon and Richter, and will more than likely have Shadow and Geno, as well. Considering the other seven third-parties we have, on top of those four, I would prefer DLC stick to Nintendo properties, personally...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The roster's already looking pretty "ultimate" as is, but DLC that caters to the younger Nintendo fans who were comparably overlooked during the base game's development would crank that up to "perfect".

And yeah, I'm hoping that third-parties for DLC will be minimal. The base roster has Simon and Richter, and will more than likely have Shadow and Geno, as well. Considering the other seven third-parties we have, on top of those four, I would prefer DLC stick to Nintendo properties, personally...
The only 3rd party I wouldn't be outright annoyed over in Smash DLC is Banjo. I'm fully satisfied with the Smash 3rd party representation as it is and it definitely seemed a bit overboard in Smash Wii U.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
The only 3rd party I wouldn't be outright annoyed over in Smash DLC is Banjo. I'm fully satisfied with the Smash 3rd party representation as it is and it definitely seemed a bit overboard in Smash Wii U.
Yeah, I'm incredibly picky about third-parties, but characters like Banjo and Bomberman are special cases, as they were created by companies that were essentially second-party Nintendo developers before being bought out by larger companies. As a whole, I would hate for fans of popular Nintendo characters to get excited about DLC, only to watch their favorite characters get shafted a second time in order to make way for even more third-parties. Call me crazy, but I think that a game about celebrating Nintendo characters should overwhelmingly focus on Nintendo characters, haha.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm incredibly picky about third-parties, but characters like Banjo and Bomberman are special cases, as they were created by companies that were essentially second-party Nintendo developers before being bought out by larger companies. As a whole, I would hate for fans of popular Nintendo characters to get excited about DLC, only to watch their favorite characters get shafted a second time in order to make way for even more third-parties. Call me crazy, but I think that a game about celebrating Nintendo characters should overwhelmingly focus on Nintendo characters, haha.
Yeah, at this point the third parties are taking up a whopping 10% of the roster at the least (assuming there isn’t more to come in a later direct.) IMO that’s too many already, especially when a lot of Nintendo picks get overlooked(Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc.) even when they have double the popularity of Bayonetta, who I didn’t even know existed before the smash ballot due to paying attention to first parties and actual good third parties like Crash and Banjo.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, at this point the third parties are taking up a whopping 10% of the roster at the least (assuming there isn’t more to come in a later direct.) IMO that’s too many already, especially when a lot of Nintendo picks get overlooked(Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc.) even when they have double the popularity of Bayonetta, who I didn’t even know existed before the smash ballot due to paying attention to first parties and actual good third parties like Crash and Banjo.
My sentiments exactly. Even Crash is kind of iffy to me (this is coming from a life-long Crash fan, mind you, so nothing against the character), so you can only imagine my thoughts on characters like Snake and Bayonetta. I'm not adverse to third-parties, but, in my opinion, they need a darn good reason to be in, and "my friend Kojima asked me to do it" and "Nintendo felt like producing a sequel to a niche property for some reason" aren't good enough reasons to me. Of course, regardless of my feelings, Snake and Bayo are veterans, nonetheless, so I'm happy for their fans that those characters are back.

That being said, it would be perfect if Ultimate's development was all about the heaviest of hitters (Inkling, the mascot of Nintendo's newest titan since Animal Crossing, and a character that everyone was both expecting and excited about; Ridley, the antagonist of a longstanding series who has been desired as a playable character since the second Smash game; Simon, Konami's "Mega Man" who is often associated with classic Nintendo; King K. Rool, a fan-favorite villain the world over who has been snubbed for the past ten years; possibly Geno, a nearly historic one-off character for whom the stars are aligning; every veteran, so no one has to worry about their favorite character being on the chopping block; plenty of clones to bulk up the roster and give fans of those characters some extra/easy fanservice), while DLC focuses on the "relevance" characters that aren't as exciting (for a lack of a better word) as wishlist characters twenty years in the making (characters like Bandanna Dee, Ashley, Waluigi, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, etc.). In the meantime, DLC-tier characters like Ashley maintain their position from the previous game to tide fans over until their eventual promotion. THis is the best-case scenario, and dear Lord, please let it happen!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I suppose my main hope now for the roster is to add characters like Issac and Bandana Dee just to lessen the competition Ashley has in a potential Ballot.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
My sentiments exactly. Even Crash is kind of iffy to me (this is coming from a life-long Crash fan, mind you, so nothing against the character), so you can only imagine my thoughts on characters like Snake and Bayonetta. I'm not adverse to third-parties, but, in my opinion, they need a darn good reason to be in, and "my friend Kojima asked me to do it" and "Nintendo felt like producing a sequel to a niche property for some reason" aren't good enough reasons to me. Of course, regardless of my feelings, Snake and Bayo are veterans, nonetheless, so I'm happy for their fans that those characters are back.

That being said, it would be perfect if Ultimate's development was all about the heaviest of hitters (Inkling, the mascot of Nintendo's newest titan since Animal Crossing, and a character that everyone was both expecting and excited about; Ridley, the antagonist of a longstanding series who has been desired as a playable character since the second Smash game; Simon, Konami's "Mega Man" who is often associated with classic Nintendo; King K. Rool, a fan-favorite villain the world over who has been snubbed for the past ten years; possibly Geno, a nearly historic one-off character for whom the stars are aligning; every veteran, so no one has to worry about their favorite character being on the chopping block; plenty of clones to bulk up the roster and give fans of those characters some extra/easy fanservice), while DLC focuses on the "relevance" characters that aren't as exciting (for a lack of a better word) as wishlist characters twenty years in the making (characters like Bandanna Dee, Ashley, Waluigi, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, etc.). In the meantime, DLC-tier characters like Ashley maintain their position from the previous game to tide fans over until their eventual promotion. THis is the best-case scenario, and dear Lord, please let it happen!
At this rate, I’d say after every bit of dlc we will be pretty close to if not at 90 Characters (seeing as this game will last at least 2 years), and I’d be very surprised if Ashley isn’t one of them. I also have something that is bothering me: we are pretty much guaranteed to end with more fire emblem clones than Mario, and maybe even pokemon in general. It sucks to have series like WarioWare, DKC, and Zelda struggle to earn any new reps (let’s face it, Zelda’s newest is toon link and that was ten years ago from a franchise that deserves more reps than fire emblem anyway and is getting shammed considering half of what they already have are links.)

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I suppose my main hope now for the roster is to add characters like Issac and Bandana Dee just to lessen the competition Ashley has in a potential Ballot.
Isaac seems like a character who would be implemented in the base roster, if anything. Isaac's a lot like K. Rool, considering he's been MIA for the last decade, the glaring difference being that Golden Sun is pretty much dead. Sakurai has gone on record saying that he doesn't typically consider characters from dead franchises (retro reps and Falcon notwithstanding), so Isaac's only hope is that his presence on the Ballot was pronounced enough to change Sakurai's opinion.

Bandanna Dee could go either way. I could see his overseas popularity granting him a spot in the vanilla roster, but I could also see him being set aside for the time being, in favor of one of those "now or never" picks.

As far as a Ballot goes, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said that he doesn't intend to do another Ballot, so we should prepare accordingly. That is why I'm a supporter of maintaining Ashley's place in the public eye, despite her disconfirmation. Think about it: if her support was really substantial enough for Sakurai to feel a need to put a lid on it before it blew up too much, then he and his team must be aware that Ashley is a contender. That almost sounds like a positive for DLC, since Sakurai knows that there is a substantial amount of people who would be psyched for her inclusion, and we didn't even have to make her a meme, or anything. If we make sure that her support doesn't dwindle, then perhaps we can persuade Sakurai to make her a DLC character.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
God, after this I swear to never ever gloat over or make fun at fans of characters who get disconfirmed (not that it was something I did anyways). It really hurts with basically the entire internet laughing at Ashley fans. This must be how Waluigi supporters feel.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Isaac seems like a character who would be implemented in the base roster, if anything. Isaac's a lot like K. Rool, considering he's been MIA for the last decade, the glaring difference being that Golden Sun is pretty much dead. Sakurai has gone on record saying that he doesn't typically consider characters from dead franchises (retro reps and Falcon notwithstanding), so Isaac's only hope is that his presence on the Ballot was pronounced enough to change Sakurai's opinion.

Bandanna Dee could go either way. I could see his overseas popularity granting him a spot in the vanilla roster, but I could also see him being set aside for the time being, in favor of one of those "now or never" picks.

As far as a Ballot goes, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said that he doesn't intend to do another Ballot, so we should prepare accordingly. That is why I'm a supporter of maintaining Ashley's place in the public eye, despite her disconfirmation. Think about it: if her support was really substantial enough for Sakurai to feel a need to put a lid on it before it blew up too much, then he and his team must be aware that Ashley is a contender. That almost sounds like a positive for DLC, since Sakurai knows that there is a substantial amount of people who would be psyched for her inclusion, and we didn't even have to make her a meme, or anything. If we make sure that her support doesn't dwindle, then perhaps we can persuade Sakurai to make her a DLC character.
That’s one thing Ashley has that waluigi doesn’t: legitimate support that didn’t come almost entirely from memes (no offense to any real waluigi fans). And the way they showed her just to shut off the support before people got too disappointed with the end result... couple that with the big guns like Ridley, K. Rool, and Inkling out of the way, and I’d say she’s a lock for dlc. With how they showed her off as to not disappoint us, it shows she might be in the big three in terms of support.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
God, after this I swear to never ever gloat over or make fun at fans of characters who get disconfirmed (not that it was something I did anyways). It really hurts with basically the entire internet laughing at Ashley fans. This must be how Waluigi supporters feel.
That's why I'm grateful this place exists, because people here are generally respectful of Ashley's supporters. Go other places (reddit, ugh) and people are like "who the **** is ashley?? LOL idiots thinking some irrelevant character no one knows deserves to get in. now back to why i think Isaac/Rayman/Crash/Labo Man deserve to get in..."

Top Bottom