• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Finally bought Gold, or "Gorgeous" in my area. The game is not even released in my country yet (Our country's Nintendo is notorious for not localizing games), so I had to go to a gaming center far away from home to get a JP version. I went there twice last week but it was sold out, so I had to wait another week... But I finally bought it!! I hope this helps me cure my depression

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I keep checking tehponycorn's leaked character count in hopes that somebody has the balls to put Ashley, and it hasn't happened yet. :(

Waluigi's been leaked 4 more times though... *sigh*

Around 60 have at least been there. But not everyone is a consistant member.
That's a good start. Hopefully more join in, cause making some noise is going to be a group effort.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Finally bought Gold, or "Gorgeous" in my area. The game is not even released in my country yet (Our country's Nintendo is notorious for not localizing games), so I had to go to a gaming center far away from home to get a JP version. I went there twice last week but it was sold out, so I had to wait another week... But I finally bought it!! I hope this helps me cure my depression
Wowzers, I hope you get better soon, fam. Gold is pretty good too btw. I've been having a lot more fun with it than I expected.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Ok... I might be going into conspiracy theories here, but something has been bugging me since seeing her in the direct. It was at first with them not showing her name, when every other assist shown for the first time. So I went back and looked at her.. then I had to look at her in Smash for wii U, when I noticed something.

Her eyes are a different color. Heck, she seems to have gotten a completely different and new model. No other returning assist trophy I believe has gotten that either. So why did they do it just for her? Actually, 1 other AT in Smash 4 got a new model... Dark Samus.

Now, full tin foil hat time guys... what if this wasn't showing off an Ashley assist trophy... but of another assist trophy that turns into characters that are no longer assist trophies and does their moves. A dopleganger character, like Dooplis from Paper mario or something, that then transforms into old assist trophies as its gimick. A way to keep the old assist trophies in the game without removing or losing their effects. Sakurai seems to be focusing on keeping as much as possible from old games, so this would fit. Other characters it would transform into would be Little mac and Dark samus, and if things go as it seems Isabelle and Shadow. Then also if in DLC Sakurai turns more assist trophies into characters, then they are removed from the normal list, and placed into this characters assist trophy.

I know, this is out there, and I may be pulling at straws, but the way they revealed Ashley, plus her being the only returning assist with a fully new and updated model just seems completely off and I feel should be noted.
The new model is pretty intersting, as it really doesn't make sense for her to get one. If I had to guess, it's because of popularity or changed design. At least we know we she's cared about a little I guess.
Here is an interesting topic.

People recently have been speculating Skull Kid with the lack of his Assist Trophy role for the Moon and the colored furniture durig the Smash Direct.

It has been making me compare Skull Kid's potential as fighter with Ashley's, both being dark magic users and all. Do you guys think SK possibly being planned for Ultimate would have made Ashley a less interesting pick at the time? Should the next Smash include Skull Kid again, would it close the door for Ashley as a possible fighter in the future?
Nah, they could be completely different. It's never stopped sword users from getting in either. I wouldn't be worried

StormC

Smash Hero
Kat and Ana got redesigns in Smash 4 to match Game And Wario versus their classic designs in Brawl. Doesn't mean anything.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Guys, the fake out is not happening. Sakurai put her in the direct to intentionally disconfirm her. He did so half-assedly and it shows, but that's it. My "late AT" theory would explain why, but in the end, she is an AT and that's it... For now.

I agree whole heartedly that we need to keep supporting Ashley now, more than ever. Heck, I didn't even support her that much before, I just really wanted her. But nows a chance to make a difference.

I don't expect her to be a viable DLC choice for the first few waves... I expect her to take at least a couple of years before even being possible. But we have to keep at it, and show it for real that this is not a bandwaggon or temporary hype, and that she truly has fans and a character with longevity.

People will keep mocking us, but with enough patience that will be overcome. Maybe the time can be a good opportunity for her to gain even more fans.

In the end, maybe it's better this way, it will prove that we earned it when she is finally in.
I've been scoping out other forums such as GameFAQs and Reddit ( I don't really bother with 4chan) to see what others are saying. It's looking pretty good that other user's over there are accepting the idea of Ashley being in DLC.
Where in reddit have you been reading? I haven't checked myself.

I made this chart in order to see how all the assist have been revealed, and also I added which one have been already feature on the blog and on the website.

Color TV, Dr Kawashima, Dr Wright, Ghirahim, Hammer Bro, Mother Brain, Samurai Goroh, Sheriff, Starman and Takamaru were present in the demo so there is actual proof that they are assist trophies. Which means Ashley is the only one that is still pending, which is really odd. So I won't accept that she is an assist until I see her coming out of the assist capsule!

Also another thing I consider is that maybe Sakurai wants to bring every assist trophy to the game, kinda like the everyone is here! So maybe the Little Mac and Dark Samus assist return. In that case Ashley can be a fighter and an assist.

Finally before someone mention it, this is not false hope, this is not going to hurt even more, I know what I'm doing, Ashley is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, and theorizing about her and Smash are one of my favorite things, and I do enjoy sharing ideas with other people who really like Ashley like me. That does not mean I going to stop supporting her because I know she is in. I'm working in a lot of fanarts to help her inclusion as DLC. I just think that maybe if we keep the theories we can gather more attention and support from other people, it worked for Ridley.

Awesome chart, really shows how Ashley was indeed treated differently, and how that's an undeniable fact.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Let me put it this way, as a K. Rool supporter, I lost my **** when the costume was announced for Smash 4. I was up all night rageposting in his thread. I went out at like 2 AM to the gas station to buy tons of candy to try to assuage my hurt feelings. I considered it a hard deconfirmation. I felt betrayed.

If only I had known Sakurai was already turning the gears on his inclusion in the next Smash...

That's why you guys have to keep going. We know Ridley got in because of "outcry from fans," that likely was not entirely ballot related due to his presence in Smash 4 dissuading voters. Treehouse at E3 confirmed they check forums and social media for Smash talk. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by hoping she's in the base game, but continue your momentum and make sure Nintendo can't ignore you like they couldn't ignore K. Ridley.
The one thing that really makes me smile through this whole ordeal is this random upsurge of sympathy and support from K. Rool supporters for Ashley I've been seeing in this thread. You guys had every opportunity to be douchebags and rub salt in the wound but instead y'all have shown nothing but empathy, encouragement and being graceful in victory. That's the sort of attitude that makes me even more happy for the King's inclusion.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The one thing that really makes me smile through this whole ordeal is this random upsurge of sympathy and support from K. Rool supporters for Ashley I've been seeing in this thread. You guys had every opportunity to be douchebags and rub salt in the wound but instead y'all have shown nothing but empathy, encouragement and being graceful in victory. That's the sort of attitude that makes me even more happy for the King's inclusion.
There's a lot of overlap between the two groups honestly. Then again, K Rool was essentially unanimous in support.

StormC

Smash Hero
The only salt I'm interested in is what's coming from those who told us for years we were delusional for campaigning for K. Rool.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Even though people are poking fun at Ashley's demise there are still people who admit they wanted Ashley:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...y_may_not_have_made_it_in_but_that_wont_stop/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/96b7om/too_soon/
It is funny how even the hate towards Ashley herself has spread her name very far. The many people who did not want Ashley making a big stink only draws a crowds curiosity. And instead of us having to acknowledge her alone they unintentionally help us.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Kat and Ana got redesigns in Smash 4 to match Game And Wario versus their classic designs in Brawl. Doesn't mean anything.
Speaking of which, why have they been MIA alongside the likes of shadow and Isabelle? They couldn’t possibly be playable. Or could they?

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad for ashley, sakurai dont respect her :(, she is an AT, her named hasnt been listed in the trailer and she is not in the AT section in the website

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
It is funny how even the hate towards Ashley herself has spread her name very far. The many people who did not want Ashley making a big stink only draws a crowds curiosity. And instead of us having to acknowledge her alone they unintentionally help us.
Yeah, what's funny is when people say "I don't get why Ashley's so popular?" as is they are trying to convince others Ashley is a bad character when really someone who has never heard of the character reads the message an thinks they've been living under a rock for not knowing who Ashley is.

Sure it's insulting a disrespectful but, It's time like these when there's no such thing as bad publicity.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, why have they been MIA alongside the likes of shadow and Isabelle? They couldn’t possibly be playable. Or could they?
There’s still a couple Assist Trophies left to reveal. Sakurai knows if he reveals all Assist Trophies but a precious few, that’s as good as a confirmation. He’s savvy enough to keep us guessing.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I can't see Kat & Ana of all ATs being promoted. Like... there's so many popular characters in snowglobe hell, and you go with them?

No disrespect towards them or anything, but I couldn't see them being added before the other AT from their series, let alone characters like Isabelle, Skull Kid, Waluigi...

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I think that there's no chance of them being promoted. I think we all know that the only Wario character who had a chance was Ashley. There's still a good amount of unannounced Assist Trophies, so they probably just haven't been shown yet. Even among Assist Trophies not shown, Kat and Ana are very low on the list of ones who would get promoted. There's still Isaac and Saki as well, who are both good contenders for being made playable. Don't count on Kat and Ana, just keep supporting Ashley and hope for the best with her as soon as possible.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm still curious. Does anyone know how the JP fanbase took the news of Ashley not getting in?
They took it pretty well to be honest. They weren’t really mad, more of just disappointed. From what I’ve heard.

I hope they can at least get Bandanna Dee or someone who they really want.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
While a few less popular assist trophies might just be cut like Isaac was last game or replaced by a more popular character in Elec Man's case. It's always possible they replaced Kat and Ana with 9-Volt.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
They took it pretty well to be honest. They weren’t really mad, more of just disappointed. From what I’ve heard.

I hope they can at least get Bandanna Dee or someone who they really want.
So basically just like us. I still hope we can somehow combine our efforts to try and get some pre-release hype for Ashley with them.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I think we should be grateful that at least this Smash cycle really let Ashley's fanbase grow. Especially since she survived the first Assist Massacre. After that, this place blew up exponentially in popularity as people realized how likely she really was. When you generate as much hype around a character as Ashley generated, people don't just forget that. People who supported her this time are certainly going to support her next time. It's what happened with supporters of K. Rool and even Ridley. Ridley supporters didn't lose hope despite the odds being stacked against them, and we shouldn't despite the odds being much more in our favor. Ultimate was the chance for her fanbase to grow, and depending on how these next few years pan out, it'll continue to grow. Especially since her popularity was very much proven during this Smash cycle, so Nintendo has only further seen the marketability of her character. I wouldn't be surprising if she even got her own spin off game at some point. She'll be in Smash. I guarantee it. Whether it be in the next game or the one after, she will make it into Smash someday.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think we should be grateful that at least this Smash cycle really let Ashley's fanbase grow. Especially since she survived the first Assist Massacre. After that, this place blew up exponentially in popularity as people realized how likely she really was. When you generate as much hype around a character as Ashley generated, people don't just forget that. People who supported her this time are certainly going to support her next time. It's what happened with supporters of K. Rool and even Ridley. Ridley supporters didn't lose hope despite the odds being stacked against them, and we shouldn't despite the odds being much more in our favor. Ultimate was the chance for her fanbase to grow, and depending on how these next few years pan out, it'll continue to grow. Especially since her popularity was very much proven during this Smash cycle, so Nintendo has only further seen the marketability of her character. I wouldn't be surprising if she even got her own spin off game at some point. She'll be in Smash. I guarantee it. Whether it be in the next game or the one after, she will make it into Smash someday.
Hopefully we can still miracle her way into Ultimate though. It's a once in a life time opportunity for a once in a lifetime chance, and I feel with how big her fanbase has grown, especially in the west, it can be done.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Hopefully we can still miracle her way into Ultimate though. It's a once in a life time opportunity for a once in a lifetime chance, and I feel with how big her fanbase has grown, especially in the west, it can be done.
If by some miracle she was in Ultimate, that'd be amazing. Like, if there's some conspiracy going on, and she's actually in Ultimate, then that'd be the best thing ever. But I'll just focus on continuously supporting her to help her remain popular and get a shot at it one day. I'm impatient and would like her as soon as possible, just like anybody else. But in my heart I know that there's no way she'll be in this game.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If by some miracle she was in Ultimate, that'd be amazing. Like, if there's some conspiracy going on, and she's actually in Ultimate, then that'd be the best thing ever. But I'll just focus on continuously supporting her to help her remain popular and get a shot at it one day. I'm impatient and would like her as soon as possible, just like anybody else. But in my heart I know that there's no way she'll be in this game.
I'm more hoping for a change of heart on Sakurai's side. DLC is my goal now, no matter how far of a dream that may be. It would be a shame if She missed her chance to make all these great friends.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
But in my heart I know that there's no way she'll be in this game.
Don’t give up hope for DLC. There’s no set rule saying ATs can’t make that boat. Besides, seeing as Sakurai himself said he may have opened a Pandora’s box in that famitsu column generally says the next game will definitely be smaller, which doesn’t bode well for Ashley by any means, because a lot of people would be fighting for returnees all over again

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Even though people are poking fun at Ashley's demise there are still people who admit they wanted Ashley:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...y_may_not_have_made_it_in_but_that_wont_stop/

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/96b7om/too_soon/
I see, thanks for the links.

I think we should be grateful that at least this Smash cycle really let Ashley's fanbase grow. Especially since she survived the first Assist Massacre. After that, this place blew up exponentially in popularity as people realized how likely she really was. When you generate as much hype around a character as Ashley generated, people don't just forget that. People who supported her this time are certainly going to support her next time.
I agree with you. But the next time is RIGHT NOW. No need to wait.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I'm more hoping for a change of heart on Sakurai's side. DLC is my goal now, no matter how far of a dream that may be. It would be a shame if She missed her chance to make all these great friends.
Don’t give up hope for DLC. There’s no set rule saying ATs can’t make that boat. Besides, seeing as Sakurai himself said he may have opened a Pandora’s box in that famitsu column generally says the next game will definitely be smaller, which doesn’t bode well for Ashley by any means, because a lot of people would be fighting for returnees all over again
I agree with you. But the next time is RIGHT NOW. No need to wait.
Sorry guys, but I don't see it happening now. She's an AT, and I don't see that changing. I'll still continue to support Ashley no matter what, but I'm not going to pretend that she's going to be playable in this game. It'll be too painful to keep on rooting for her when there are other characters I want as well who haven't been deconfirmed. I want her the most, but I'll just hope for the best in a future game.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Sorry guys, but I don't see it happening now. She's an AT, and I don't see that changing. I'll still continue to support Ashley no matter what, but I'm not going to pretend that she's going to be playable in this game. It'll be too painful to keep on rooting for her when there are other characters I want as well who haven't been deconfirmed. I want her the most, but I'll just hope for the best in a future game.
Goals may be different, but the methodology is the same. Just keep supporting Ashley. It works in favor of both our goals~

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
"Who's that girl next door, living in an assist trophy?

"You better know her name because it's Ashley"

I'm sorry.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm having a hard time understanding why people believe Ashley was disrespected. No other returning assist trophies aside from the ones shown at E3 were ever going to get revealed like that with a name card and stuff. If anything, her being revealed in this direct at all is an honor. Many other returning assists probably won't be revealed until launch. I'd like to think she was included last minute in the direct to let us down easy. While maybe it was just a coincidence she was shown, I doubt it. I believe I heard Sakurai is very particular with how he wants his trailers to go, which makes me believe he was very aware of Ashley's reveal, and probably did it on purpose. This makes me believe he is aware of her popularity, which is a good thing.

I also don't understand why people believe assists can't be DLC. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't. In the direct, assists are said to be special guests. They rose above other characters to become something more than just a trophy. I'm certain many assists this time around were popular choices in the ballot that just didn't make it as playable. It would make absolutely no sense to not allow these popular choices to become playable in the future just because they're an assist. Being trophies in Smash 4 didn't stop Lucas and Mewtwo from coming back, and being assists shouldn't stop a character from making it as DLC. Obviously, Ashley won't make it base game, but that's all that Sakurai is thinking about right now. When DLC comes around and he's looking for popular choices to add, he'll look at assist characters too. If Ashley continues to grow and Sakurai hears our cries, I'm sure he'll consider Ashley.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm having a hard time understanding why people believe Ashley was disrespected. No other returning assist trophies aside from the ones shown at E3 were ever going to get revealed like that with a name card and stuff. If anything, her being revealed in this direct at all is an honor. Many other returning assists probably won't be revealed until launch. I'd like to think she was included last minute in the direct to let us down easy. While maybe it was just a coincidence she was shown, I doubt it. I believe I heard Sakurai is very particular with how he wants his trailers to go, which makes me believe he was very aware of Ashley's reveal, and probably did it on purpose. This makes me believe he is aware of her popularity, which is a good thing.
While there's a lot that can be said about Ashley's assist reveal, it just rubs me the wrong way. Almost as if it was an afterthought. While it's possible it was added in to rip off the bandaid, it still feels weird that she was the "only" old assist trophy in a segment dedicated to new assists. I'm pretty sure even Smash 4 formerly introduced every assist trophy if it was in a direct for the first time whether it was a new or old assist. I do very much agree with the final part of this statement though and it's particularly why I'm not giving up and even doubling down on my support.

I also don't understand why people believe assists can't be DLC. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't. In the direct, assists are said to be special guests. They rose above other characters to become something more than just a trophy. I'm certain many assists this time around were popular choices in the ballot that just didn't make it as playable. It would make absolutely no sense to not allow these popular choices to become playable in the future just because they're an assist. Being trophies in Smash 4 didn't stop Lucas and Mewtwo from coming back, and being assists shouldn't stop a character from making it as DLC. Obviously, Ashley won't make it base game, but that's all that Sakurai is thinking about right now. When DLC comes around and he's looking for popular choices to add, he'll look at assist characters too. If Ashley continues to grow and Sakurai hears our cries, I'm sure he'll consider Ashley.
We also have to remember that Smash Wii U isn't really indicative of what may fully happen with DLC. It's obvious that once the Wii U was a sinking ship they started planning Ultimate for the new System. So it's possible there could have been multiple seasons of DLC, but they opted to just go with the original selection before moving on to Ultimate. DLC could very well be very different for Ultimate. They can run a ballot during the first wave where they give us the new blood (Springman, Rex, Edelgard, whatever) and then see what the fanbase wants in a new ballot. Given the circumstances of this game, I can see him bending rules to accommodate the fan requests.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
We also have to remember that Smash Wii U isn't really indicative of what may fully happen with DLC. It's obvious that once the Wii U was a sinking ship they started planning Ultimate for the new System. So it's possible there could have been multiple seasons of DLC, but they opted to just go with the original selection before moving on to Ultimate. DLC could very well be very different for Ultimate. They can run a ballot during the first wave where they give us the new blood (Springman, Rex, Edelgard, whatever) and then see what the fanbase wants in a new ballot. Given the circumstances of this game, I can see him bending rules to accommodate the fan requests.
Yeah, I'm assuming this games DLC will be much different from Smash 4's. It seems like the main focus they had then was 3rd parties and Veterans. We only got one real popular newcomer pick (if Bayonetta really did win the ballot) and one character used for advertising. With all the veterans and plenty of 3rd parties now, I think they will entirely focus on popular choices and recent characters.

I think you've got a point about maybe there being more plans for DLC. Maybe that's the reason work on Ultimate started so soon. They could have picked up just where they left off.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I was thinking of removing Ashley from my sig and replacing her with someone like say Shadow, but I just don't have the heart to do it.

And maybe because I am kinda buying the conspiracy of her AT being a fake out.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of removing Ashley from my sig and replacing her with someone like say Shadow, but I just don't have the heart to do it.

And maybe because I am kinda buying the conspiracy of her AT being a fake out.
I don't have a signature here, but I plan on keeping my rotation of Ashley avatars for a while.

Perhaps I should actually make a signature for listing my most wanteds...

Top Bottom