• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I hope Ashley doesn't get confirmed as an Assist Trophy, cause that would mean that I would have to watch every episode of Love Live ever as part of my bet... And I don't want to have to suffer through that menatony... :c

Last edited:

SmashMaster02

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7731-7496-2991
I bet that If Ashley doesn't get into smash, I'd change my discord pfp to someone I absolutely hate in Smash

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I've been wanting to see another Wario character join Smash for a while. Since both Captain Syrup and Mona seem to have no chance, I'll throw in for Ashley!

Besides, it would be interesting to see her fighting alongside the other Mario Females! ;)

I wouldn't mind playing her honestly, she sounds like an awesome one! ~ Afro

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Just poppin' in to say that I support Ashley. I haven't played any of the WarioWare games, but from what I've seen of Ashley she seems like a good candidate for a playable role. I think she'd be a pretty interesting fighter. (Magic Spells have a lot potential.) Hopefully you guys get your wish!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would like to ask a question of you all. Speaking as realistically as you can as an Ashley supporter, what do you think her actual chances of getting in are?

If I'm being as realistic as possible, I think she has a pretty good chance, considering her popularity in Japan, but since Smash Ultimate is built using assets from previous Smash games, especially Smash 4, I think it'd also be really easy for Sakurai to just port her Assist Trophy over.

sayaka11

Smash Rookie
I would like to ask a question of you all. Speaking as realistically as you can as an Ashley supporter, what do you think her actual chances of getting in are?

If I'm being as realistic as possible, I think she has a pretty good chance, considering her popularity in Japan, but since Smash Ultimate is built using assets from previous Smash games, especially Smash 4, I think it'd also be really easy for Sakurai to just port her Assist Trophy over.
Considering she's one of the few likely newcomers with decent evidence to back her up, I'd give her roughly a 65% chance of making the roster.

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh?

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly, upon reviewing all of the evidence we have collecting in this thread, I say 80%. Ashley has it all, and Sakurai even acknowledged her being a rising star, but the only thing that will get in the way is if he feels WarioWare doesn't need another rep. I honestly believe that Sakurai at least gave it consideration before making her an AT again.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Honestly after getting Daisy(her being the only character I wanted in smash), I had already gotten everything I wanted for smash but after seeing this thread I'm on the Ashley hype train too and would love to see her!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I do too, but then I feel kinda scared b/c of the whole over 50 assist trophies thing and the limited amount of newcomers
There's like 30 assist trophies confirmed for the game. If they bring back every assist trophy in Smash then that brings us to 53. I've long since not been afraid of the "over 50" figure. Right now I'm just scared whether she's actually in or not.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Completely objectively, no bias. I'd say she has a pretty good shot. Not a great one, but a really good one. Like you said she's really big in Japan (Sakurai's home) And had a big push from Nintendo in 2015, which coincidentally is the year Ultimate's roster was decided. Sakurai has acknowledged her status before and gave her an AT and a Mii costume in the same game when she only had a song before. Now, some people say she can't get in because she's an assist, but Little Mac and Charizard got promoted! Just because it's not common doesn't mean it can't happen! I feel like everything adds up a little too nicely for something NOT to happen. Not to mention her moveset potential. Now I could be wrong, but I feel like our support is gonna pay off this time!

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Completely objectively, no bias. I'd say she has a pretty good shot. Not a great one, but a really good one. Like you said she's really big in Japan (Sakurai's home) And had a big push from Nintendo in 2015, which coincidentally is the year Ultimate's roster was decided. Sakurai has acknowledged her status before and gave her an AT and a Mii costume in the same game when she only got a song. Now, some people say she can't get in because she's an assist, but Little Mac and Charizard got promoted! Just because it's not common doesn't mean it can't happen! I feel like everything adds up a little too nicely for something NOT to happen. Not to mention her moveset potential. Now I could be wrong, but I feel like our support is gonna pay off this time!
That's the positivity I like to see!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
But really when I think about it, pretty much all the predicted would be newcomers have some kind of problem with them, like perhaps K.Rool's irrelevance will bite him in the butt, Square-Enix might not approve of Geno as a playable character, etc. But I think Ashley might pull this off, but we'll see.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
There's like 30 assist trophies confirmed for the game. If they bring back every assist trophy in Smash then that brings us to 53. I've long since not been afraid of the "over 50" figure. Right now I'm just scared whether she's actually in or not.
Yeah, the number doesn't matter. We'll long know her fate before we know the final tally.

Completely objectively, no bias. I'd say she has a pretty good shot. Not a great one, but a really good one. Like you said she's really big in Japan (Sakurai's home) And had a big push from Nintendo in 2015, which coincidentally is the year Ultimate's roster was decided. Sakurai has acknowledged her status before and gave her an AT and a Mii costume in the same game when she only had a song before. Now, some people say she can't get in because she's an assist, but Little Mac and Charizard got promoted! Just because it's not common doesn't mean it can't happen! I feel like everything adds up a little too nicely for something NOT to happen. Not to mention her moveset potential. Now I could be wrong, but I feel like our support is gonna pay off this time!
It's not often I'm confident in a character I really want, but this is one of those cases. I don't know where she falls on the ballot and if her AT role hurt that, but all the other pieces have already fallen into place. It would genuinely be shocking for it to not happen.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Considering she's one of the few likely newcomers with decent evidence to back her up, I'd give her roughly a 65% chance of making the roster.

Maybe I'm being a bit too harsh?
65% Sounds perfect to be exact. She has a better shot than most since Nintendo is pushing her.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, the number doesn't matter. We'll long know her fate before we know the final tally.

It's not often I'm confident in a character I really want, but this is one of those cases. I don't know where she falls on the ballot and if her AT role hurt that, but all the other pieces have already fallen into place. It would genuinely be shocking for it to not happen.
Yeah, all the "safest" picks aren't that safe when you think about it. K. Rool and Geno have been kept alive solely by their Smash fan bases at this point.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah, all the "safest" picks aren't that safe when you think about it. K. Rool and Geno have been kept alive solely by their Smash fan bases at this point.
All potential newcomers in Smash brothers are capable of getting the axe.

King K. Rool - Sakurai sees no reason to have a third DK rep.
Elma - Rex/Pyra are chosen for the second rep.
Bandanna Dee - Sakurai believes the only important Kirby characters are in.
Lip - Her item is the only representation Sakurai intended for the game.
Geno - Square Enix does not come through with the licensing.
Isaac - Sakurai forgot to add him as an AT in Smash 4 and doesn't forget this time.
Ashley - Sakurai is incapable of getting her moveset to work.
Simon Belmont - Konami would prefer Simon stick as a Gambling machine.
Isabelle - Believes she would not fit as someone who throws punches.
Mike Jones - Sakurai has forgotten about him.
Mach Rider - Sakurai is incapable of basing a moveset around him and his motorcycle.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Though if there were one game to ignore irrelevance, it would be this one. K. Rool, Geno, Isaac, and others have their best shots yet, but Ashley has everything, including the popularity! If it were based strictly on ballot/popularity results, I wouldn't pin her as most likely, but we don't know if there are other factors yet.

She's at least the safest pick for right now until we get a better idea of who's being selected this time around.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

I'd consider her easily one of the most likely characters in speculation. I feel like really only King K Rool, Bandana Dee, Elma and maybe a Rhythm Heaven rep (new, current IP) have a better chance than her. Everything seems to be aligning on her favor. I think the only real problem she faces is western relevance, and even then she still has many fans here.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Like many of us, I do believe that the planets are aligned for Ashley. Now, we just have to add Sakurai in that alignment. If I had to give a percentage, it would be between 70 - 80%.

The biggest problem is the assist trophy. Even having both the AT and the costume Mii didn't stopped Takamaru from keeping his assist role. On the other hand, it wasn't him who got a lot of promotion in 2015.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

I think Ashley has a pretty good shot. If we got a 2nd Wario character I'm confident that it'd be her. Not to mention she's crazy popular in Japan, right? She's got everything. Popularity, relevance, potential... I don't think she has much of anything going against her. The only possible threat to her is Sakurai's decision.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I've always had a rather analytical mind. Given everything Ashley has gotten from 2015-2017, her general popularity in Japan, the various oddities that surround Warioware Gold in regards to Ashley and the Arcade Bunny's story of Ashley and her Awakening and bright future have all led to me to think she's got over a 50% shot. Probably around 65-75%. Before E3, I think I pegged her at around 35% and has steadily increased as I've looked more and more into her circumstances. All in all, I'm under the impression that all those things alone mean nothing or very little, but in tandem it tells me something big is happening with Ashley at some point in the near future. It may not be Smash, but at the moment, that's the biggest thing going on and I think the possibility for her being in it are well within the realm of possibility.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Honestly, upon reviewing all of the evidence we have collecting in this thread, I say 80%. Ashley has it all, and Sakurai even acknowledged her being a rising star, but the only thing that will get in the way is if he feels WarioWare doesn't need another rep. I honestly believe that Sakurai at least gave it consideration before making her an AT again.
While I agree with the sentiment that she has a strong chance, that quote hasn't been verified where he calls her a rising star.

I think he'd have to agree with it tho seeing how he made her an assist trophy, gave her a mii costume, acknowledged the badge arcade in Ultimate, and saw how good she did in the Japanese ballot. Like implicitly he'd have to agree to it, but he just hasn't said it outright.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I thought Ashley was in a good position prior to E3. Before E3 I would have given Ashley 60-70% chance. Now I'm thinking she's sitting around 75-85%.

The Mii outfit is what I found most convincing. Ashley, Isabelle, and Takamaru are the three assist trophy characters with Mii
Outfits. Among them I've always thought Ashley was the most likely. Takamaru's been deconfirmed but, Ashley and Isabelle are still on the table.

The assist trophies don't bother me. We've seen 30 and we know there will be over 50. Sakurai added a lot of new trophies: Krystal, Bomberman, Badge arcade Bunny. The addition of Badge arcade Bunny really looks good for Ashley!

What bothers me is the number of English speaking Youtubers that don't put Ashley in their top tens. Granted, a lot of them don't know much about speculation and throw together a video without much effort to get views because top tens for Smash generate a lot of views.

"If IGN says Solaire of Astora is likely because he has an Amiibo it must be true!"

That's the kind of stuff they say. The media has greatly warped what the public's view of who they think is likely. Not many English speaking Youtubers are knowlegeble enough to be able to make a discerment.

That being said, I've been using google tranlate to view what Japanese Youtubers are saying. Japanese Youtubers seem to include Ashley on their lists almost as if including Ashley is a standard for top ten lists.

I do think Ashley performed notably well on the ballot especially on Japan's side. Heck, we even got Ashley's outfit after the ballot!

Even though it appears the Smash Ballot has a major influence on the roster this time around, Ashley is a character that I feel is exempt from her performance on the ballot regardless of whether she did well or not.

The reason why I think this way is because Ashley is still a relevant character from a franchise that still hasn't gotten a second character. Sure We've gotten stages and assist trophies for WarioWare but, a character that originated from the series feels needed.

Wario did not originate from WarioWare. Most people still think He's a Mario character which is true but, having Wario in Smash doesn't bring enough attention to the series for that reason. People become emotionally attached to playable characters, not stages or assist trophies.

On top of everything I've said, Ashley is a magic user. There is almost an infinite amount of possibilities you can come up with for a moveset when a character can use Magic. Smash is lacking magic users and Ashley's cute adorable design bring many things to the table not many other Nintendo characters offer to Smash.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Also if you think about it other characters like daisy got acknowledged in some way too just like Ashley(the mii costume, getting put in more games now/in the future((for Ashley that being warioware gold)) and popularity from their fans have been acknowledged by Nintendo) yeah idk this is just loose speculation. Call me out if ya want oofy,But maybe that's how it is with Ashley.(she could get the little mac treatment!)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What bothers me is the number of English speaking Youtubers that don't put Ashley in their top tens. Granted, a lot of them don't know much about speculation and throw together a video without much effort to get views because top tens for Smash generate a lot of views.

"If IGN says Solaire of Astora is likely because he has an Amiibo it must be true!"

That's the kind of stuff they say. The media has greatly warped what the public's view of who they think is likely. Not many English speaking Youtubers are knowlegeble enough to be able to make a discerment.
I love Smash Pre-release, but this cycle seems to have really bad Youtube speculation. It's not even really about the lack of Ashley either. It just feels like the same stuff. K. Rool, Geno, Simon, Isaac, Banjo, Shovel Knight and Crash. While I think one of these is likely *coughKroolcough*, the reasoning for a lot of them really seem to fall flat, some of which I outright don't think are likely.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I thought Ashley was in a good position prior to E3. Before E3 I would have given Ashley 60-70% chance. Now I'm thinking she's sitting around 75-85%.

The Mii outfit is what I found most convincing. Ashley, Isabelle, and Takamaru are the three assist trophy characters with Mii
Outfits. Among them I've always thought Ashley was the most likely. Takamaru's been deconfirmed but, Ashley and Isabelle are still on the table.

The assist trophies don't bother me. We've seen 30 and we know there will be over 50. Sakurai added a lot of new trophies: Krystal, Bomberman, Badge arcade Bunny. The addition of Badge arcade Bunny really looks good for Ashley!

That being said, I've been using google tranlate to view what Japanese Youtubers are saying. Japanese Youtubers seem to include Ashley on their lists almost as if including Ashley is a standard for top ten lists.

I do think Ashley performed notably well on the ballot especially on Japan's side. Heck, we even got Ashley's outfit after the ballot!

Even though it appears the Smash Ballot has a major influence on the roster this time around, Ashley is a character that I feel is exempt from her performance on the ballot regardless of whether she did well or not.

The reason why I think this way is because Ashley is still a relevant character from a franchise that still hasn't gotten a second character. Sure We've gotten stages and assist trophies for WarioWare but, a character that originated from the series feels needed.

Wario did not originate from WarioWare. Most people still think He's a Mario character which is true but, having Wario in Smash doesn't bring enough attention to the series for that reason. People become emotionally attached to playable characters, not stages or assist trophies.

On top of everything I've said, Ashley is a magic user. There is almost an infinite amount of possibilities you can come up with for a moveset when a character can use Magic. Smash is lacking magic users and Ashley's cute adorable design bring many things to the table not many other Nintendo characters offer to Smash.
Alpharad thought he was basic for including Ashley in his top ten. I would love to see where he saw more Ashley's. Because besides him and Source Gaming, I haven't seen much for speculative support for Ashley on YouTube.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Alpharad thought he was basic for including Ashley in his top ten. I would love to see where he saw more Ashley's. Because besides him and Source Gaming, I haven't seen much for speculative support for Ashley on YouTube.
ikr! I've watched so many top tens/character predications to add hype on my potatos and none of them from what I seen(maybe at least 1 or 2 of them) talk about her oofy

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
While one could argue that Ashley's AT model is already available and ready to go, you could also argue that the foundation of her playable model has already been built.

Honestly, while I obviously want Ashley to be in Smash, one of the biggest reasons that I spend so much time on this forum supporting her is because of just how likely of a character she is. After the immense disappointment of seeing almost none of my wants get in to Smash 4, I've become a bit jaded to the speculation process, and have chosen only to root for characters that I think actually have a chance. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think that was the case for Ashley.

After all the appearances she's made over the past few years, it's hard to see Nintendo's epicenter of advertising look past her. I'll say she's about 75% likely.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I am wrong, but Ashley's push began after the ballot had, right? I ask because part of me believes that's one of the reasons that Ashley is being used for marketing purposes. Nintendo saw how well she had performed in the ballot and decided to capitalize on her popularity. Either way, I think she has a pretty great chance of making the jump to playable.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
While one could argue that Ashley's AT model is already available and ready to go, you could also argue that the foundation of her playable model has already been built.

Honestly, while I obviously want Ashley to be in Smash, one of the biggest reasons that I spend so much time on this forum supporting her is because of just how likely of a character she is. After the immense disappointment of seeing almost none of my wants get in to Smash 4, I've become a bit jaded to the speculation process, and have chosen only to root for characters that I think actually have a chance. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think that was the case for Ashley.

After all the appearances she's made over the past few years, it's hard to see Nintendo's epicenter of advertising look past her. I'll say she's about 75% likely.
It's great, shes likely but I guarantee that everyone will be turning their heads in shock if she gets revealed. Supporting Ashley is like best of both worlds where you can feel that underdog effect while still having a lot of genuine confidence in her and support comments to read.

I say that but I go back and forth on Ashley. I can imagine her reveal so vividly in my head, but I just can't fathom this dream, one I've had ever since I heard about her origin, actually becoming reality. I'm still suprised af that this thread will probably surpass the Waddle Dee thread in terms of replies. This doubt can't be shaken. While I can reasonably argue she's a 65% character, I live like she's 40%.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Correct me if I am wrong, but Ashley's push began after the ballot had, right? I ask because part of me believes that's one of the reasons that Ashley is being used for marketing purposes. Nintendo saw how well she had performed in the ballot and decided to capitalize on her popularity. Either way, I think she has a pretty great chance of making the jump to playable.
Some of it was concurrent, like Rhythm Heaven cameos and Super Mario Maker. The Badge Arcade stuff happened mostly in 2016 and 2017.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I don't know about an exact percentage, because at the end of the day the only people who know are Sakurai and his dev team (plus a few Nintendo people probably), but I think she has a really good shot. A lot of very popular characters who either already were assist trophies or were popular before like Krystal or Waluigi were shown off really quickly.

Obviously not every Assist trophy was in the build, I think we've seen about 50% of them, maybe a tad more, so there's still plenty to go that could disconfirm her. It does help that 2 of the more popular Assist to Playable characters were shown in Takamaru and Waluigi, yet Ashley was MIA. Plus she wasn't in Wario's trailer which had WarioWare stuff, and other trailers like Sonic and Roy showed Assist trophies respective to their franchises. I could just be grasping for hope but that is a good sign in my (very biased) mind lol.

It helps that Ashley would be fresh on Sakurai's mind, having publicly commenting on her popularity growth after Smash 4 launched. Also If WarioWare Gold was indeed starting development in 2015 like a leak said that could help, even though I don't think that really matters as 2015 was huge for Ashley in the first place. Several appearances outside of her franchise and being the main driving force in the Badge Arcade. Her chances look great but it's not my decision and I can only hope Sakurai sees her popularity and adds her.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Some of it was concurrent, like Rhythm Heaven cameos and Super Mario Maker. The Badge Arcade stuff happened mostly in 2016 and 2017.
Wait, 2016-17? Uh-oh, the project plan was finished by December 2015. Do we have to throw that evidence out?

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I think we should be cautious with this pick

If Sakurai calls Ashley about joining, then she might hang up. This would leave Sakurai waiting and having to call her back. I just can’t garuntee that Ashley has a good shot, she’s already hung up on her friend Wario, and with Sakurai being a stranger, he may never be able to get a hold of her.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think we should be cautious with this pick

If Sakurai calls Ashley about joining, then she might hang up. This would leave Sakurai waiting and having to call her back. I just can’t garuntee that Ashley has a good shot, she’s already hung up on her friend Wario, and with Sakurai being a stranger, he may never be able to get a hold of her.
ASHLEY PICK UP THE PHONE! ASHLEY PLEASE!

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Ashley had a notable following during the Brawl and Smash 4 days. She wasn't a heavy hitter or anything but, there was quite a disappointment during her assist trophy reveal.

I think many people were confused and felt discouraged to vote for Ashley in the Ballot because she already appeared in the game as an assist trophy. I'm not saying that stopped her from receiving votes. Just that it hindered the full amont she could have recieved because Ashley couldn't pull an Alfonzo.

I don't think the Ballot was the only factor for Ashley's Mii outfit. I think Sakurai became aware of her backlash from the assist trophy reveal especially since he was receiving it on Japan's end. Sakurai even had to clarify she wasn't playable and just an assist trophy.

Top Bottom