• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I was looking around 4Chan and somebody keeps posting "Ashley's an assist!" and it nearly gave me a heart attack. Geez, now I know what I put Souldin through with that misunderstanding.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I would say that some only consider it a "slap in the face" because of perspective. Objectively, yes, Assist Trophies are ways to give popular characters spotlights while not dedicating an entire month (plus) to their playability, but people with biases towards certain characters are just going to see an Assist Trophy as the inability to play as the character they want. That's the dangerous line of the Assist Trophy: do you want to give obscure franchises like Joy Mech Fight and Color TV a spotlight, while simultaneously rubbing salt in a few emotionally invested fans' wounds, or have nothing at all? I personally prefer the former.

Of course, that being said, I'd prefer to take the third option and just have Ashley be playable, but only time will tell...
Taken right from Arcade Bunny. I hope this was developer foreshadowing like what the Rodin assist trophy had.

I think assist trophy implies what you said, but people just see that the character wasn't a priority to use resources on to become playable. That could be because they lack prominence in their series, relevance, they're too hard to implement, they aren't that popular, or they don't add much new as a fighter.

If Ashley doesn't get in, it would be because she didn't measure up in those areas compared to the newcomers we'll be getting. To someone really invested and perhaps jaded, It's like the developers confirming all the points naysayers have made.
I think you are right... It's the fan perspective. They see the assist first before the playable roster, so in their minds they interpret it as 'They chose to make my favorite character into an assist so they wouldn't make them playable!' as if the dev team chose assists first and then who was playable... Or they see them as the dev team purposely putting them in the game but not in the capacity fans want- people seem to forget different entities in te game take VASTLY different amounts of time and resources to create- we see this a lot with clone character discussion. A lot of people say "Why don't we just cut the clones so we could have unique fighters like [character name here] and [character name here]- why does the dev team keep wasting time making clones?" People don't get that clones are only added because the team doesn't have time to add in a unique fighter, but they still want to include fanservice content.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
Here's a direct link to something you might want. I feel like someone mentioned it, but here it is directly.
https://www.mariowiki.com/The_'Shroom:Issue_105/The_Year_of_Ashley_2015

Edit: Oh this is something different than the thing mentioned.
Still a good thing to look at.

It mentions a couple other things that one post doesn't. Like how Ashley had a cameo appaerence in Megamix in addition to having that playable rhythm challenge.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I was looking around 4Chan and somebody keeps posting "Ashley's an assist!" and it nearly gave me a heart attack. Geez, now I know what I put Souldin through with that misunderstanding.
Sounds like 4chan alright. Hehe.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
If it is not too much to ask, can anyone list all of the promotions of Ashley that happened before Ultimate's project plan in December 2015. I am currently re-evaluating the chances of her to get an analysis ready for tomorrow.
It's not necessarily a promotion but, it should also be taken into consideration. On Page 9 Harukaamami posted a pic for a credible leaker claiming WarioWare Gold's Develompment started around the same time as the planning phase.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I happened to find an Ashley Easter egg in Rhythm heaven MegaMix that no one has pointed out yet. The Curator has a cute little Ashley doll.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
So many leaks clashing with one another, a lot of them say Ashley! one of them has to be right, right?!

Joking aside, people are saying a Smash reveal some time soon. Likely fake and probably not worth mentioning, but it did mention Ashley; that'd be sweet if these fake leaks turned out to be real...but then it wouldn't be fake anymore, it'd be a real leak?!

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So many leaks clashing with one another, a lot of them say Ashley! one of them has to be right, right?!

Joking aside, people are saying a Smash reveal some time soon. Likely fake and probably not worth mentioning, but it did mention Ashley; that'd be sweet if these fake leaks turned out to be real...but then it wouldn't be fake anymore, it'd be a real leak?!
I just want one of the leaks that mentions Ashley to be real. I literally don't care which one.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
It's exciting to see so many leaks include Ashley, but I would like to maintain some element of surprise when the game comes out. Smash Bros. games are an incredibly big deal, so it would suck to have the rest of the hidden content unceremoniously slapped on 4chan 5 months before launch.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I don't put any stock into 4chan leaks cause theres like 40 a day, but It is cool to see which characters these fakers put on there lists to seem believable, Ashley popping up a bunch just means these people think shes likely, Which is nice.

Klimax

Smash Ace
A good thing for Ashley is that she's in every leak. I don't remember a leak without her.
Sure, 99.9% of the leaks are fake, but hey, it's still a sign that she's a big deal.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Oh dont get your hopes up on the amount of fake leaks she will be in.
I mean how many Smash4 leaks were including Ridley and Rool, and look what we got?

But what I really is how this thread speeds up compared to the pre- direct times where we got barely any post at all. :)

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't trust any leak besides the Simon Belmont one, but I do appreciate that everyone seems to be on the same page about Ashley being a like likely newcomer. I mean let's just look at her competition.

As flawed as this list I found is, Ashley easily ranks among the top 10 for plausible newcomers.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, I don't trust any leak besides the Simon Belmont one, but I do appreciate that everyone seems to be on the same page about Ashley being a like likely newcomer. I mean let's just look at her competition.

As flawed as this list I found is, Ashley easily ranks among the top 10 for plausible newcomers.
It would've been nice if the creator of this list provided reasoning for each character. For example, why is Spring Man a probable lock? Because he exists? It's not like Arms sold as much as, say, Splatoon, which was incredibly popular during the development of Sm4sh, and yet didn't get a rep in that game.

I could raddle on and on about it, but I understand the sentiment. Ashley is showing up in so much online banter that one can't help but think she's a shoo-in. It brings a tear to this wrestleman's eye.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I could raddle on and on about it, but I understand the sentiment. Ashley is showing up in so much online banter that one can't help but think she's a shoo-in. It brings a tear to this wrestleman's eye.
I'm honestly confident enough in Ashley's chances at this point to bet actual money on her inclusion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That is probably 4chan messing around. They love having the power to hold everyone's hopes and dreams in their hands. Makes a fun toy.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
It would've been nice if the creator of this list provided reasoning for each character. For example, why is Spring Man a probable lock? Because he exists? It's not like Arms sold as much as, say, Splatoon, which was incredibly popular during the development of Sm4sh, and yet didn't get a rep in that game.

Like most tier lists you have to assume what they had in mind because it's kinda hard to fit in descriptions. In this case of Springman, Arms sold over 1.5 million copies which is alright for a new IP. He's in a fighting games so he translates pretty well into Smash. What tanks his chances to be in the base game is that the roster was decided upon in December 2015, way before the release of Arms. The same goes for Rex whose design wasn't even finalized until 2016. I have no doubt that they will get in as DLC tho.

I'd bet money. Not a lot because I don't think she's locked in, but I would.
Same. Ashley being top 10 is fantastic news, but Sakurai saying there won't be a lot of newcomers is really scary. I'm expecting at most 7 newcomer left to be revealed and that's counting echoes.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Based on all the news I've seen around and on this board, I really do think Ashley has a chance. Guess it may only be a matter of time.

But not to derail the conversation, but I am really intrigue by the Crazy Galaxy concept. What type of game would it be? RPG? A mini game collection like WarioWare? Some sort of party game? We only got a few lines detailing the characters but imagination runs wild, you know?

I'm also really diggin' her redesign for it. Would you guys mind if they use it for smash if she makes it?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Based on all the news I've seen around and on this board, I really do think Ashley has a chance. Guess it may only be a matter of time.

But not to derail the conversation, but I am really intrigue by the Crazy Galaxy concept. What type of game would it be? RPG? A mini game collection like WarioWare? Some sort of party game? We only got a few lines detailing the characters but imagination runs wild, you know?

I'm also really diggin' her redesign for it. Would you guys mind if they use it for smash if she makes it?

Why not both? Usual design for most costumes, and then that as an alternate costume. I'd be hella down.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
I'd main Crazy Galaxy Ashley!
To be honest, I didn't care for Ashley as a fighter until I found about the whole push she got during the Badge Arcade and Crazy Galaxy. That really piqued my interest, especially for the game itself. Could it really still happen?

Noipoi

Howdy!
To be honest, I didn't care for Ashley as a fighter until I found about the whole push she got during the Badge Arcade and Crazy Galaxy. That really piqued my interest, especially for the game itself. Could it really still happen?
Not sure, I think it was a joke. I'd definitely buy it though.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I've been humming Ashley's Song while at work the past few days. My Ashley hype is through the roof. lulz

Speaking of her theme, I'd like to see a compilation mix of Ashley's Star Revolution from Game & Wario in the game. I feel like it would be a fun remix.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Ughhh, it began. I had an Ashley was revealed dream, and I quickly went to other forums to see the reactions of Ashley doubters only to wake up and be disappointed that it was a dream. ;-;

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Ughhh, it began. I had an Ashley was revealed dream, and I quickly went to other forums to see the reactions of Ashley doubters only to wake up and be disappointed that it was a dream. ;-;
I had a dream like that with K. Rool during Smash 4 speculation. Our brains are trolls.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I had a dream like that with K. Rool during Smash 4 speculation. Our brains are trolls.
Funny you say that, because I had a "K. Rool was announced" dream earlier this week, and, well ... let's just say, if K. Rool in the actual game looks anything like how he did in my dream, then it's a good thing he hasn't been announced yet, because they need to work on him a LOT more. He looked like Flubber with googly eyes and no shading whatsoever.

As far as Ashley's Crazy Galaxy design goes, I'd be down for an alt. costume, but I think replacing her iconic design altogether with an (as far as we know) April Fool's joke would be kinda hasty, and confuse plenty of people.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Realized I never posted here. Better late than never, I suppose! I'd like to be added to the support list. In a series where every character stands out with their own humorous quirks, it's cool that Ashley also has a lonely side to her that you can sympathize with. I'd always wanted a WarioWare character to be added so Wario could have a reason to be more inspired by Wario Land, and whether that character is Ashley or Mona, both would be great fits for Smash.

Honestly, I think Ashley is one of the more likely newcomers this game. Definitely top 5 if not top 3!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well hopefully, I don't get an "Ashley is disconfirmed" dream. The other characters I support in my sig, I can deal with them getting disconfirmed, but Ashley as my most wanted will legitly sting me if she gets disconfirmed. Just give me my little witch, Sakurai, and I won't complain about the rest of the roster. :p

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Well hopefully, I don't get an "Ashley is disconfirmed" dream. The other characters I support in my sig, I can deal with them getting disconfirmed, but Ashley as my most wanted will legitly sting me if she gets disconfirmed. Just give me my little witch, Sakurai, and I won't complain about the rest of the roster. :p
Yeah, a roster with no Ashley wouldnt feel complete. I wouldn't cry if she got cut, but I'd be pretty demoralised for a while.
Realized I never posted here. Better late than never, I suppose! I'd like to be added to the support list. In a series where every character stands out with their own humorous quirks, it's cool that Ashley also has a lonely side to her that you can sympathize with. I'd always wanted a WarioWare character to be added so Wario could have a reason to be more inspired by Wario Land, and whether that character is Ashley or Mona, both would be great fits for Smash.

Honestly, I think Ashley is one of the more likely newcomers this game. Definitely top 5 if not top 3!
With high ball shes just below King K and Bandana Dee.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
July tommorow, The month where Ashley is going to get announced! hehe. Least It's the month I predict she has the highest likely hood of being announced, besides October.

Time to cross my Fingers all month.

Added you to the Support list a couple pages back.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Warioware is a good game, I would like to see Ashley in, I think there's just some pushback because Wario Land fans feel shortchanged (Even though Wario Land is harder to base moves off because aside from his shoulder bash and throw, most of his actions are based off power ups or enviromental interaction).

Honestly I would like to see Red join ashley as like a soft character akin to the luma, instead of being an annoying copycat however, I would like to see Red take on a different, more supportive role with certain moves commanding him to heal ashley or charge at the opponent and blow up. The opponent can still kill red however, and Ashley can be just as destructive to him than the opponents if she wants to use her strongest spells.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Warioware is a good game, I would like to see Ashley in, I think there's just some pushback because Wario Land fans feel shortchanged (Even though Wario Land is harder to base moves off because aside from his shoulder bash and throw, most of his actions are based off power ups or enviromental interaction).

Honestly I would like to see Red join ashley as like a soft character akin to the luma, instead of being an annoying copycat however, I would like to see Red take on a different, more supportive role with certain moves commanding him to heal ashley or charge at the opponent and blow up. The opponent can still kill red however, and Ashley can be just as destructive to him than the opponents if she wants to use her strongest spells.
If (when) she gets in she'll probably use Red for at least smash attacks.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Researching about Nintendo SPD Group 1 (The developers behind all of the WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven titles), it does feel kind of depressing that their games are barely represented in Smash 4 outside of Wario, a few Assist Trophies and a couple of awesome stages like Game and Wario and WarioWare Inc. I would imagine Group 1 in particular were extremely thrilled about a character from one of their titles finally getting representation (Chorus Kids going by the Gematsu leak) in Smash 4's planning phase, and the Rhythm Heaven representation they get in Smash 4 is minimal. These developers have made some pretty awesome titles over the years like every RH title, Warioware D.I.Y., and WarioWare Twisted. It kind of depresses me to the point where I could see Sakurai making up to the SPD Group 1 team by not only adding Chorus Kids, but also add Ashley as well. It feels like all that SPD1 could do to survive now going forward is push for Ashley via merchandise and advertising in Japan and hoping that their 3DS compilation title (WarioWare Gold) succeeds to push the team to create more inventive games in future Nintendo platforms. SPD Group 1 has so much creative potential, and I would hate to see them die out so soon.

What I say probably will not reflect my final thoughts on promotional characters like Ashley, Dee, and Isabelle, but I thought this bit on SPD would be interesting to mention.

Top Bottom