• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Link Video Critique Thread

Skler

Smash Master

I figured I'd contribute something, so here's a place people can post videos (of Link in SSBM, or LttP if you want I guess) and I'll critique them for you.

Eventually.

This is just because the Link discussion thread is hard for me to go through, and since my name is on this thread I'll feel bad for not updating it ever. Not that it worked for my guide, but critiques are shorter and generally easier than guide writing.

Rules:
1. Don't post way too many videos.
I probably won't watch more than 5 on one person.

2. Give me a variety.
Maybe your playstyle vs Mario is really just hanging off the edge and trying to superjump. Giving me a few videos against different characters (and different players) is the best way to get critiques.

3. Opponents should be at or around your level
If it's you 4-stocking bad players then I can't really critique it. Close matches where you lose are honestly better because there will be clear mistakes that I can help you with.

4. Don't get upset if I say something mean.
If you do really badly it will be a long critique, and I might say something like "What are you, Link or a helicopter? Stop spamming the spin attack." Writing fun things is what makes writing enjoyable.

5. Make sure the videos aren't terrible quality.
I will not watch videos that have a glare on the screen, are really fuzzy or are really far away. If I can't easily tell what is going on my critique will be "Buy a Dazzle."

6. This thread isn't for talkin' 'bout stuff, it's for critiques.
Anyone is welcome to critique somebody's video, but this is not a thread for starting conversations. Somebody posts a video, people critique it.

7. QUOTE THE PERSON WHO YOU ARE CRITIQUING.
This way everyone will know who you are talking to and nobody will get confused. I expect there to be a decent number of videos being posted, and it's likely that some will be posted at the same time. This should prevent madness.

8. Try not to flood the thread with videos.
Don't post new videos too often. It's unlikely that you improved significantly between noon yesterday and 8:00 tonight. Once a week is pushing it, but if you went to a tournament or something that's fine. Just please don't spam this thread or I will not be getting to it.

For people who want to write Critiques and have them be legible, I have included a handy-dandy guide to writing critiques.
Fun fact: Always use this format for everything. Really, this is how you should write.

CRITIQUE FORMAT:

Paragraph 1: Overview.
Example: I feel you have a good grasp of Link overall, but you make a lot of careless mistakes. It might be nerves, but you don't seem like you trust in your tech skill so you actively avoid using it at all. Never wavedashing is just limiting, and there were many situations it would have helped you.

Paragraphs 2-whatever: Specific matches, specific examples OR BOTH!
Example: I loved it when you ripped the controller out of the Falco players hand and started beating him with it; that was clever. It's too bad the TO didn't agree that it was a legal play. Next time, try a more subtle maneuver like winning the match without violence.

Example 2: You overuse the downtilt. It isn't a good approach, nor is it a good defensive move or edgeguard. Actually, stop dtilting. Forever. That move is balls.

You also appear to think dash attacks are the best form of tech chase. Grabbing is often safer, notice how your opponents were shielding your dash attacks (ex. match 2, 1:30, 1:52, 2:40, 3:16, 4:00) most of the time. Mix it up.

Final Paragraph: Closing statements.
Example: All in all you're a solid player, but it feels like you limit yourself to certain options. Link doesn't have all that many options, so learning more tricks could help. Also, please give the Falco player my condolences. It looks like he had a concussion.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'll have some vids coming soon, got a tourney this weekend.

Skler

Smash Master
Yay! I was worried I spent all that time writing and being great as MS paint for nothing. I know it's difficult to believe, but I edited the picture up there.

Skler

Smash Master
You did really well for the first half, but you seemed to get thrown off rhythm when Falco began to step it up. Your movement was really good, and your spacing was generally great. There were some moments that were pure brilliance and others that just confused me.

That first bomb pull was really strange. Not sure why you did it, but you definitely know why it was a bad idea.

You have good pressure once you get it going. Falco's first stock was gone in a flash.

Be calm when you recover (1:09), you made some weird mistakes that would have been easily solved by knowing your options and picking the correct one. Falco can't touch you out there, be calm.

You started losing your cool when the game got close, your spacing started to suffer and you started playing really aggressively. That is a major no-no, but something pretty much everyone does (I know I still do it sometimes).

Instead of the fthrow you should be using the dthrow (there was one point where the bthrow made sense, and it had a chance of winning the game for you, but the bthrow usually sucks just as much).

CC more often. Falco's weak nair (00:51-00:52) is CC bait. There's no reason not to CC unless you know he's going to shine or use a horizontal KO move. His dash attack (00:56) is similar.

You need to use the uair more, there were at least two points in the match where you did a fair when a uair would have been a better choice.

You definitely need more boomerangs. They control the stage really well. Don't just toss them at your opponent, control the space around them.

Overall You need to calm down and think a bit more. Your skill is obvious, but it looks to me that you don't take the time to really apply it. Recovery is especially important against Falco, and it seemed that you just wanted to get back to the stage instead of wanting to survive.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Thanks for the advice, all the f-throws were finger slips haha, I meant to down throw XD. I never thought about CC vs falco because of the shine.

Skler

Smash Master
It should be fairly clear when he's going to shine, so don't worry about CCing. The worst thing that happens if you CC a shine is you get baired, which would happen no matter what unless you SDI it.

Skler

Smash Master
One o' them pony folk drew it for me. DVC4011, to be exact.

How he drew it with hooves is beyond me.

On topic: You should have posted a video. <3

Skler

Smash Master
I can't really critique that because he's at a level where just improving tech skill is what he needs and his opponent doesn't do anything that pressures him.

It's really hard to critique that level. You have to be capable of using all of Link's options if advice on playstyle and such will help at all.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Alright heres a breakdown of the falcon match

Standing boomerang on platform, generally not a good idea, ESPECIALLY versus aggro characters
like falcon, even more so on small stages its bad to start out with. If I were to start out with
a projectiles here I would fall through platform and pull out a bomb, that way you can kill
the aggro approach early and it makes them think twice about approaching like that again and
in a lot of cases makes them play campier which gives you more time to react, and we link mains
know we need that time.

at 0:42 you hopped up from the ledge, I recover low hookshot for that EXACT reason against
falcons. Recovering low then hoping onto stage with a nair usually kills any knee's that they
might be thinking of doing onto the stage. and if they decide to dair you while your hopping up
from a low recovery dont worry about, if you cancel dair then your up-b will catch him in his
dair lag and you'll have the advantage from there because you can get back ont he stage and
falcon will be off the stage, and we all know falcons sucks off the stage.

There wern't many up-b spike moments but if falcons even DARES to come at your from off stage
get that spin attack ready beacause the second he gets hit by it off stage he diess, he should
almost always be at a percent that it works.

Now that falcon was fast, but he had his moments where he went for something on your shield and
it just didnt take, mostly when he was at higher percent, these are up OOS moments, at mid
percents its important to remember you can do that and it serves two purposes, Kill or GTFO.
At mid percents it gives you room to breath and makes them think twice about pressuring your
shield which is good, and high percents it usually sets you up for a kill, but remember if
falcon's l-cancels arent off then he will almost always cancel into jabs and then a grab.

A few ways to combat that in addition to the spin attack are to jump out of shield and nair
HELLA fast, I do this by hitting Y and rolling my thumb to A, you get faster with practice,
a lot faster and it can be hard for the other player to adapt to, its kind of like links
versions of peach's nair out of shield, Also usmash oos can be useful when they try to dair you
on the ground but that takes a bit of practice.

One last thing, I noticed when falcon was on the platform and you were below him you didnt
punish it very well. When you get a falcon above you on a platform that low just go ape ****
on him with Uairs and Usmashes, preferably, a couple uairs then finish with and usmash and follow
him around as he tries to come back to the bottom level, and if he tries to come back at you
with a dair then use a another uair on him. Most aggro character players will most certaintly
run off a platform and try to get back to ground level that way, in which case refer to the
OOS options I was writing about above.

Also you werent naring nearly enough, nair kills falcons approaches as do bombs. also a neat trick
is to pull a bomb, wait for a moment and then shield as if your afraid of the pressure, then
throw the bomb oos and CC its effects, then just do whatever to falcon. His combo weight is
soooooo good for link, the trick is pressuring him instead of him pressuring you.

Alrigh I noticed vs roy you got your *** tech chased like nobodies bussiness, its hard to
beat a good tech chaser but you arent utilizing all of links buffering options, when you
tech roll away from a throw you can buffer a spot dodge, it would have been heavily useful
against that roy because he was on you like white on rice, and after that they will probably
attempt to grab again, so jump and nair them, or you can just tech to nair, tech roll to
up-b, but IMO the safest option is to buffer a roll or a side step and confuse them, then go
from there.

Also you went back onto stage with nair a lot, and while nair is friggen incredible, its doesnt
have the range needed when somone is dashing on the edge. So I suggest going up with fair, its
particularly useful when someone dosent want to come fully over to the edge, and it keeps you
in the air longer, which if they like to grab you when you come back on is a good thing. it also
hits harder so it gives you more breathing room afterwards, so in summary, fair is longer and
stronger and at times its better to use that than nair off the ledge.
One last word of wisdom, you using the hero of time, and he ***** everyone.

Your projectile's should be used more to control the stage, as in, if they dodge your projectiles
just throw the rang where you dont want them to be, most of the time they go forwards or backwards.
if they go backwards you advance, if they go forward you punish.

some people will just sit in their shields and wait for the projectiles to harmlessy bounce off,
well in the time they are waiting throw another at them and if possible punish them for staying
in their shield. Eventually they will to jump out of, in which case refer to the above section.

The onyl thing thats hard to punish when they somehow avoid or shield a projectile is if they
jump above it and onto the platform the only thing this does for you is lets you know that they
have to get down eventually and it puts the ball slightly in your court. and like I said a lot
of aggro players will want to attack you off the ledge, so see if you can bait them off and then
spin attack them or something (Baiting by running forward and wavedashing backwards, moonwalking
etc..)

As for you counterpick against roy, I dont agree with it, while it could work to your advantage,
with the style you were using it probably would have been better to adjust your strategy and stay
on dreamland. Personally I would have gone for dreamland or battlefield.

All in all I beleive you have to work on your close qaurters game a lot and just learn better
defensive options, because thats really where that roy player had you.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I appreciate the advice Zodiac. The stages were chosen by random. These were not actual tournament matches, but just some seriouslies.

Skler

Smash Master
I was going to ask "WHY WOULD YOU GO FD WITH ROY" but now that seems unnecessary.

I should be able to get a full critique up tomorrow or something. Too much work today :(

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I have just a few short tips, less reading for the lazy ones.

I noticed that you dont punish enough with your grabs, which I would say is our best way of starting a combo.
A basic combo that works okay is Uthrow, utilt(maybe just once, but enough times for them to end up behind you so to speak). Once there, bair. If its spaced well enough, you can re-grab and back throw to Bair. I dunno, its what I do and Ive seen Germ do it.

Your bombs are fine, maybe instead of just dropping them after killing the other guy, toss them up, maybe they'll hit him?

Boomerang... DONT STAND STILL..

And yeah, Never CP FD to a Roy/Marth, but knowing that you didnt pick, makes more sense.

I agree with Zodiac, Battlefield would have been the best choice(Personally, for link I like smaller stages)

Skler

Smash Master
I should also mention Sethlon is ****ing good. His tech chasing is incredible.

This post will later be used for my actual critique.

Until then I leave you with one piece of advice: You need to play less of a ground game vs Roy, it's the only thing he's good at. Spamming and camping works really well, but in friendlies you probably don't want to do that. This will make it hard to critique!

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah I gotta agree with Skler on this one, holy **** that Roy's Tech Chasing was ****, unfortunately, he plays Roy lol. Nah Jokes Roy is Fun. But yeah, defs... sort of a bad video to upload because like... the skill level gap is so big that you cant really appreciate any of your good qualities because he's f-throwing you and tech chasing it the whole time....

Skler

Smash Master

Vs Falcon:

You were playing quickly and your movement was good, but a lot of the movement didn't seem to have a purpose. Your spacing was off for the majority of the game, and while Falcon is hard to space against it's really important you don't make spacing mistakes against him. You also had a sweet jab -> grab.

Spacing is really important for Link. It always seemed like you were too close to Falcon when you threw out some attacks. Improperly spaced nairs, utilts and a few other moves are easily punished, and Falcon was working you for it. You had good movement, use it to keep space between him and you.

End combos in the dair! At 1:05 you hit him with the utilt. He got launched up and instead of going for the kill with the dair you did a uair. You killed him with your next hit anyways, but he had a chance to do some damage there. Whenever a dair will land make sure you use it.

Dash attacking at lower percents (low-medium with fast fallers) is a HUGE no-no. At 1:36 you dash attack and he promptly grabs. You did manage to spot dodge it, but things could have gone really poorly if he tried something else.

Your projectile pulls also need some work. Falcon threatens a whole lot of the stage at once, make sure you're moving when you use projectiles.

All in all the Falcon match was a great one. He was good, you were good, and some awesome combos were performed. Just take the time to space and think things out.

Vs Roy!

Well, I don't know how often you play against Roys, but you weren't abusing one of his major weaknesses, Crouch Canceling. Roy sucks if you CC his moves, especially his weak aerials that Sethlon was using to keep you in his range.

Don't approach so often against Roy. You have the projectiles and Roy has a crappy approach. Just spam at him until he has to close and stab him or grab him. Roy is really limited, don't worry about how good the player behind the character is, he's still shackled by Roy's mediocrity whereas you are riding on the coattails of Link's awesomeness!

Projectiles!!!! You need to pull in a safer way. Roy is balls against bombs but you were getting slapped whenever you tried to pull one. Just keep moving, wait until you have some space and then pull.

DI better too. Just DI away from Roy a lot. He's pretty quick, but his throws have a decent amount of knockback. His dtilt in particular relies a lot on DI. You can get pretty far to the side if you get poked by it.

Take the fight to the air! Specifically against Roy this is a big deal, because his sword is made of cotton balls if he swings it in the air and he lags forever. Listen to the advice of House of Pain and jump around.

These were friendlies so that makes it weird, but you need to relax, not worry about the player but still be careful. Careless projectile pulls were a huge deal in the Roy games and the other major problem was careless approaches. You need to have a plan whenever you try to do something or you'll get stomped. You have all the techy stuff down and pull off some solid combos, you just need to figure out when it's appropriate to do things.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'll hopefully record some link friendlies against eggz this weekend (If he's up for it) and post some videos for critique.

Max?

Smash Champion
PC is most certainly back, my channel is going to have a ton of footage of him and all the **** players in our area.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
PC is most certainly back, my channel is going to have a ton of footage of him and all the **** players in our area.
He's returned before though once for a little while, right? I hope this time he's motivated to stick around and become a top player again. :D He was one of the first players I looked up to.

Skler

Smash Master
Just letting everyone know that I'm paying attention to this thread and have lots o free time tomorrow (probably) so expect an actual critique, 69!

Also, I'm going to my first tournament in forever on Saturday so I'll probably have to get first or something.

Skler

Smash Master
Trying a different format to help my memory out more this time!

First video, vs Young Link:

You had some great use of jabs as spacing and really seem to know Link's moveset and when to use it. You panic a bit when getting hit, but your game is good. You definitely need to make use of crouch cancelling more often, as your opponent was good at keeping you off balance with tiny pokes.

0:15, 0:20- Avoid trying to jump out of combos unless you're sure you'll get out. That could lead to a nasty gimp.

0:30- ****ing Randall.

0:53- That was a dangerous pull, and your opponent could have done a lot more off of it had he reacted better. Be more careful!

1:46- Young Link has the stupidest Dsmash ever. How high were the designers when they made the second hitbox? This just chalks up to a slight lack of MU knowledge. His dsmash is stupid and the second hitbox is broken.

2:06-2:10- Excellent uair spam, but at percents that low you should try using Link's usmash under the platform. It works quite well, and you didn't use it at all in situations where it may have been better. It's not a spamable move, but it does have its (incredibly limited) uses.

2:26- Why didn't you shieldgrab here? His second hit missed so you had a guaranteed grab, but instead you hopped over him. Link's shieldgrab is slow and all, but it's still useful. I still do this sometimes, but I always get upset after the fact.

2:50something- YESSSSSS, utilt -> dair.

3:38- Double jab should not always go into dsmash. Rapid jabs near the edge or when your opponent is in his shield is actually a good strategy.

End of match- LOL saved by the firespike. Too bad it didn't pan out.

All in all you have a good grasp of what moves to use and when. I noticed you almost never wavelanded, and wavelanding is important, especially against a character who's as quick and obnoxious as Young Link. Your spacing is really solid too.

The other YL match was pretty similar, so some more general tips.

The rapid jabs aren't as bad as you seem to think they are, don't be afraid of doing it when your opponent is shielding.

Shield less. You let yourself get caught in your shield a lot by anticipating a projectile or attack. Just move out of the way and use attacks to protect yourself. Shielding is ultimately a trap even though it feels so safe in there. I used to spam shields and spot dodges, but it's a limited strategy in the end.

That YL was pretty good.

Link Dittos!

He used the usmash! See! It's not that bad at times.

Link dittos are a lot like Link vs Young Link...hmmm. You really showed your projectile mastery in this, though I'd suggest a few more boomerangs. Bombs are great and high priority, I just love boomerangs!

Overall comments: You're quite good at moonwalking, also Link. I do wish you'd waveland more and be a bit more careful with your defense (when to pull, when to jump, etc) but you don't have any major flaws. Well, you did use the dtilt, but it hit so it wasn't even a flaw. You used the dtilt but not the usmash :(

Skler

Smash Master
Don't think I've abandoned this thread! I'll get on this on Sunday or so, just been really busy with interviews and such.

soju

SD God
45 Minutes of Link <3
Sup link people :V i recently livestreamed a couple hours of melee and decided to go on a Hero o' Time run ;D
Audio is janky, but I just wanted to see how people thought of my Link :3

KK uploaded it to youtube if you don't feel like watching 45 mins on a stream website and its broken into 15 min sections :V sorry because im too lazy to seperate it
Soju's Link

Skler

Smash Master
Again, don't think I've abandoned this thread. I recently attained a job and have been scrambling to move into the correct town and fill out MOUNTAINS of paperwork.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I got more videos woohoo!

Mofat(Link) vs Binx(Fox)
Mofat(Link) vs Binx(IC's)

I actually have a ton of experience fighting ic's with link, it just took a little bit to come back to me...but fox, I have never really fought a technically consistent fox with link.
You did well in your first technical Link vs Fox match. I honestly didn't see much that was wrong with that match, except the fact that you used Nair a lot against Fox. Heavier characters like him don't really flinch that much unless they are at higher percentages. So it will probably give them an advantage after the small hitstun.

I will say this though. That Uair, Uair, Dair combo was pretty boss. =D

And against the ICs, again, you did pretty well against them. In my opinion, I think you used a lot of Up B attacks. Up B is good for killing and semi spiking but I felt as if you relied on it a bit too much. Your opponent would often shield it and punish you with an attack or a chain grab. And it also cost you the match at the end.

45 Minutes of Link <3
Sup link people :V i recently livestreamed a couple hours of melee and decided to go on a Hero o' Time run ;D
Audio is janky, but I just wanted to see how people thought of my Link :3

KK uploaded it to youtube if you don't feel like watching 45 mins on a stream website and its broken into 15 min sections :V sorry because im too lazy to seperate it
Soju's Link
soju, your Link is fairly decent. You use the boomerang properly, but as for your bombs, you rarely use them. And when you do use them, you don't use them effectively. I watched only the first video that you posted and I saw that you faced against a Ganon and a Falcon.

In the Ganon match, you were doing quite well. You used your boomerang effectively. However I felt that you were pretty basic with your recovery and you never really bothered to use the grappling hook or a bomb jump as a secondary option to recover. You can get easily punished, especially when you are fighting a Ganon player. So just try to mix it up when you recover. Against the Falcon, you were being easily punished mainly because of your improper spacing. You can't let Falcon rush in on you.
Also, try to throw in some mindgames. You were really direct and predictable with your Link.

Skler

Smash Master
I'm still in the process of moving (should be done SUNDAY) so I've been super out of whack lately.

I really should be back on my critique-horse soon.

Top Bottom