• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Hungry Wolf - Terry Bogard Social Thread

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

ProtonJon long time youtuber and streamer, has done part 1 of 2, of a SNK crash course, the history of the company etc.

This first stream was like 4 hours long but do pass it around to your pals who dno what SNK is.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I honestly do not want Fem Terry. It was a joke character for their female only fighting game where Terry's playstyle was not represented. I think we will get his classic costume and his Garou costume. 4 colors for each. That is what I am hoping for.

---

And since we know for a fact that his awesomeness is getting a classic route. He needs to delve into the more characters potential.

All his matches should be 3 v 3 battles. All Stamina rounds on battlefield versions of stages.

Name: The King of Fighters
Match 1: :ultterry, :ultgreninja:, :ultlittlemac: (For terry, Andy and Joe) vs. :ultmario:,:ultluigi:,:ultdoc:
Match 2: :ultterry,:ultmario:,:ultluigi: Vs. :ultlink:,:ulttoonlink:,:ultyounglink:
Match 3: :ultterry,:ultlink:,:ulttoonlink: vs. :ultfox:,:ultfalco:,:ultwolf:
Match 4: :ultterry,:ultfox:,:ultfalco: vs. :ultpit:,:ultdarkpit:,:ultpalutena:
Match 5: :ultterry,:ultpit:,:ultpalutena: vs. :ultsquirtle:,:ultivysaur:,:ultcharizard:
Match 6: :ultterry,:ultpokemontrainer:,:ultpokemontrainerf: vs :ultbrawler:,:ultgunner:,:ultswordfighter:
Match 7: Bonus Round
Match 8: :ultterry vs. Giant :ultganondorf:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering that we didn't even get Dragon!Kazooie as an alt, Sak usually clearly focuses on what's the more iconic parts of a series as a first priority. So I can see the Garou alt get in over Fatal Cutie. Not even his more recent costume alterations would be considered.

Only reason the fem form would ever get used is if Demitri Maximoff ever gets in, and even I think he's impossible, due to the way Midnight Bliss works...

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm imagining Terry's classic mode being 3V3 matches, I'm imagining it being like "team plumber" Mario, Luigi and Wario, "team triforce" Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. "Team earthbound" Ness, Lucas and Sans mii gunner(lol) "Team Capcom" Megaman, Ken and Ryu etc.

Considering that we didn't even get Dragon!Kazooie as an alt, Sak usually clearly focuses on what's the more iconic parts of a series as a first priority. So I can see the Garou alt get in over Fatal Cutie. Not even his more recent costume alterations would be considered.

Only reason the fem form would ever get used is if Demitri Maximoff ever gets in, and even I think he's impossible, due to the way Midnight Bliss works...
...You know now I kinda want Dimitri in the game, it would be hilarious lol

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I dont see why people are against girl terry. A lot of people want her and would really enjoy her and her being in the game wouldnt hurt anything at all

I really dont understand this whole "It goes against his character" when it doesnt at all. It doest take away from his male skins either. Its just an alt for people to use and enjoy. I think gate keeping alts shouldnt be a route we should take. Just because you dont want the skin doesnt mean that others dont.

Honestly sakurai could put both girl and wolves terry

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dont see why people are against girl terry. A lot of people want her and would really enjoy her and her being in the game wouldnt hurt anything at all

I really dont understand this whole "It goes against his character" when it doesnt at all. It doest take away from his male skins either. Its just an alt for people to use and enjoy. I think gate keeping alts shouldnt be a route we should take. Just because you dont want the skin doesnt mean that others dont.

I figure that maybe it's because the idea that any character that isn't an avatar would have a female alt seems weird.

Though at least the height wouldn't cause any problems. And part of me thinks that Sakurai's THAT much of a prankster...

Unlike with Hero, I don't think there'd be creative differences from the company.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Plus, unlike the others, when he was female, it was mainly forced on him.
That's my concern really. It's not like a goof, it gets weird. It's not like it's the worst thing in the universe, it's just a little awkward and I'd rather something cool like the Garou attire if he's gonna get a second skin.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I think we can agree that the King of Fighters stage is beautiful. But being a new fan of the series, can any seasoned fans tell me what particular stage in KoF this comes from? I know it has some hints of Smash in it (The KoF logo on the floor having a Smash logo instead of an “o”), but I can’t help but feel that this stage is one of those kinds where it’s different with each installation of the series. I might be wrong though.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Fem Terry is also a joke character. I know people want female representation, but fem terry is not the way to do it.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I mostly don't want Fem Terry because I'd rather have Garou Terry =(.

So I think we can agree that the King of Fighters stage is beautiful. But being a new fan of the series, can any seasoned fans tell me what particular stage in KoF this comes from? I know it has some hints of Smash in it (The KoF logo on the floor having a Smash logo instead of an “o”), but I can’t help but feel that this stage is one of those kinds where it’s different with each installation of the series. I might be wrong though.
It reminds me of CvS2 and KoF14s' stadiums the most:

cvs2Stadium.jpg

kof14Stadium.png

I don't THINK it's a specific one unless there's one from an older Fatal Fury/KoF game I dunno about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not crazy familiar with the King of Fighters, but I'm guessing it's a composite of several different stages. It reminds me of Chizuru's stage in King of Fighters 96 or Antonov's stage in King of Fighters XIV, though according to the Smash Wiki, it might be based on the stadium stage in King of Fighters XII.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm in the camp that think "any Terry alt is good enough but is pretty sure we ain't getting any alt at all"

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I could see sakurai putting in both

4 classic
2 wolf
2 fem

cause like then you have all 3 of Terrys designs in one game. He could just knock out every ones wants easily

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It seems to be a generic KoF stadium similar to the Pokemon stadium stages, though it does look similar to the KoF 96, XII, and XIV arenas.

D

Deleted member

It seems to be a generic KoF stadium similar to the Pokemon stadium stages, though it does look similar to the KoF 96, XII, and XIV arenas.
This is gonna seem far-fetched, but I think that, to probably add distinction to the stage (from being just a flat surface), I think the stage can let you summon KoF Fighters as assist trophies/stage bosses.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I definitely think we will be getting tons of cameos if Ryo is any indication. Maybe something like The Pit in Mortal Kombat where another fight is happening in the background. I'm also hoping that Team Fatal Fury has assist attacks in Terry's moveset.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This is gonna seem far-fetched, but I think that, to probably add distinction to the stage (from being just a flat surface), I think the stage can let you summon KoF Fighters as assist trophies/stage bosses.
I never actually thought of that idea but that'd be awesome to see.

While I want the Garou outfit much more than the female alt, I wouldn't mind female Terry at all. The only thing that bugs me is that I feel people are setting themselves up for disappointment for expecting it to be in Smash when it was a one-off gag from a not so well-received spin-off game.

Completely off topic but damn SNK Heroines missed the perfect opportunity to call female Terry's super Busty Wolf.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Great comparison. Shujin Academy Joker was more possible - a common iconic outfit, just not the default. So like Garou Terry.
I still dont think thats a fair comparison
the cross dressing joker was a extra costume in a dancing game and wasnt the main outfit
Fem Terry was one of the main marketing points for a game heavily pushed by nintendo and was terrys main design

I know some people dont want it but it feels like ppl are pushing or placing goalposts cause they want the garou skin more. I dont see why ppl see this as some war lol
Fem Terry is different from that skin cause A LOT of people know about her and ive seen a ton of ppl say theyd actually play/buy terry if he got that alt. Its a very different circumstance. Even if you see it as a "joke" or not. You cant deny how popular it is and the demand for it. Literally just go on twitter of FB or youtube and you see a ton of comments asking for fem terry.
Its really unfair to compare fem terry to a bonus costume in a spinoff game that isnt even the main design for joker and isnt even in the base main game and isnt even canon.

I think a lot of the "against camp" for it is just cause ppl think if fem terry gets in it means no wolves alt. Considering terry has the cap animation as either a taunt or idle that probably spooks some ppl that the skin may not be in

I think currently the possible out comes are
1. Just normal terry. no alts
2. terry w wolves alt that removes that animation
3. terry w fem terry alt
4. terry w both wolves and fem alt

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah but like

We might not even get anything but pallette swaps of main Terry is what I'm saying

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Well, you're not wrong. Us Banjo fans were hoping we'd get dragon Kazooie...
Banjo feels weird as hes the only dlc char so far to lack an alternate costume. I wonder if they ever planned one or felt that dragon kazooie wouldnt work because when shes in the backpack hed look the same as default banjo

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah but like

We might not even get anything but pallette swaps of main Terry is what I'm saying
Good thing there's reference material for Terry having 8 palettes with his classic design

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's on a case by case basis. :ultbanjokazooie:'s thread is still quite lively, for instance.

Sometimes activity happens again when a character gets some buffs. :ultisabelle:
If the :ultbanjokazooie: thread follows something active but its activity is reduced a little

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just returned from a break a day ago. Almost missed congratulating you guys. Happy to see Terry in Smash despite pretty much never playing a game from his franchise.

Might have subestimated SNK but I'm really looking forward to Terry's full gameplay reveal and trying him out when he releases. (Plus I kinda want to try KoF XIV now)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Someone else in The Hero's social thread pointed out that Terry is going through a similar situation that The Hero went through with their reveal. A historically important and influential video game series that is proportionally much more popular in a different part of the world than the United States is disliked for being "redundant" or "too generic" despite neither of those descriptors being true, especially if one does their research.

I'm not very familiar with SNK's fighting games, but I knew of the company and its significant contributions to the arcade scene through years of video game magazine and website reading. As a result, having known of its huge influence, I always thought an SNK character would be a perfect fit for Smash and, when the SNK character was leaked, I felt secondhand hype if only because Smash was expanding its "all star company crossover" list to another heavy hitter. Even without dabbling too much into their games, Smash becoming an even better crossover than it already was was enough to make me content with Terry.

So I'm showing solidarity as a longtime Erdrick supporter: we know how it feels to have your most-wanted ragged on by an uninformed fanbase. Keep your chin up and just enjoy the fact that an SNK character is finally in!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Someone else in The Hero's social thread pointed out that Terry is going through a similar situation that The Hero went through with their reveal. A historically important and influential video game series that is proportionally much more popular in a different part of the world than the United States is disliked for being "redundant" or "too generic" despite neither of those descriptors being true, especially if one does their research.

I'm not very familiar with SNK's fighting games, but I knew of the company and its significant contributions to the arcade scene through years of video game magazine and website reading. As a result, having known of its huge influence, I always thought an SNK character would be a perfect fit for Smash and, when the SNK character was leaked, I felt secondhand hype if only because Smash was expanding its "all star company crossover" list to another heavy hitter. Even without dabbling too much into their games, Smash becoming an even better crossover than it already was was enough to make me content with Terry.

So I'm showing solidarity as a longtime Erdrick supporter: we know how it feels to have your most-wanted ragged on by an uninformed fanbase. Keep your chin up and just enjoy the fact that an SNK character is finally in!
Truer words could never be said.

I, before delving into the Erdrick Trilogy, had no knowledge of Dragon Quest’s significance in the gaming world, so when I discovered that Enix had to limit DQ game releases to weekends to keep kids from skipping school to get the newest game, I was blown away. Now I’m in the midst of DQ3 and am loving the heck out of it.

And now, after Terry was revealed, I discovered on how popular King of Fighters was in Latin America, from the famed “la reta” to its famous cast of characters, and got King of Fighters ‘98, and am very much enjoying it.

After all this, I can’t help but agree, Terry will catch on like Hero did. Learn the history and influence of a game in any part of the world and your view of a character will change drastically.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Truer words could never be said.

I, before delving into the Erdrick Trilogy, had no knowledge of Dragon Quest’s significance in the gaming world, so when I discovered that Enix had to limit DQ game releases to weekends to keep kids from skipping school to get the newest game, I was blown away. Now I’m in the midst of DQ3 and am loving the heck out of it.

And now, after Terry was revealed, I discovered on how popular King of Fighters was in Latin America, from the famed “la reta” to its famous cast of characters, and got King of Fighters ‘98, and am very much enjoying it.

After all this, I can’t help but agree, Terry will catch on like Hero did. Learn the history and influence of a game in any part of the world and your view of a character will change drastically.
Seconded on your guys observations, heck, I'm old enough to remember when my local arcades always had a red Neo Geo arcade cabinet and reading an article in EGM about King of Fighters 94 so I know how important Terry is to video game history. Heck, SNK was pretty much the Pepsi to Capcom's Coca Cola back in the 90s. I can't wait to see more gamers end up liking Terry Bogard and wanting to play the Fatal Fury/King of Fighters series and seeing just how cool SNK is.

(On a similar note, I also knew that Dragon Quest was more popular in Japan than America and knew how important having a Dragon Quest rep is in Smash. So I'm also showing solidarity as these two characters will be able to get new fans.)

Top Bottom