• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Thing is, while Nintendo's making a big deal of Mario's 35th anniversary, Smash tends not to choose characters for celebratory reasons. Not only that, we've never had a newcomer reveal before in a series-specific Direct (other than Smash ones, obviously). If there is a Mario character set to happen soon (my instincts, as little as they matter, keep telling me Geno might be next), it'd be for reasons unrelated to the anniversary (like being a highly requested character that'd fit what would've been an E3 reveal like Banjo and Ridley the previous years).

Try not to get caught up in all the talk of pomp and circumstance. Lot of speculation still treats characters and their announcements like a means to an end of representing or commemorating something, but Sakurai has said the characters are an end themselves.
That's true, but they could tie it to the anniversary. If Sakurai had planned to have a mario character from the start then i can see Nintendo wanting to ask to conjoin the inclusion along with the celebration of Mario's anniversary. I can definitely see this being the case as i'm sure they had plans for mario before the pandemic hit hard.
I'm not in the mindset that smash characters would strictly be added to help promote stuff like anniversaries, but the opportunity is there and would be foolish not to take some advantage of. They did take advantage of the release of the definitive version of DQ 11 and pretty much promoted that game alongside Hero's reveal, so it's not too far-fetched for them to use the opportunity somehow. Pokemon could be the same next year.

But until we get the next character we won't know for certain. I'm still in the belief that fighter #7 is a 3rd party till otherwise.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Looking back, how many times has a relevant character lined up with a series specific Direct? Inkling could've been revealed in the Direct discussing Splatoon 2 (July 2017). Chrom and Byleth couldn't have been revealed in the Fire Emblem Direct (January 2017). Isabelle was announced the same day Animal Crossing Switch was teased, so obviously we had some time before we'd get an Animal Crossing Direct. I don't even think any of the Mario and Pokémon characters came close to a relevant Direct in 2018.

Again, I think the lack of characters being shown off in series specific Directs is less of a conscious choice and has more to do with them not being able to do it even if they really wanted to. Since all of this Mario anniversary stuff was likely going to be shown off at E3, a time when we were likely already getting a Smash reveal, I doubt they were concerned about the character overshadowing the announcements. Seems to me that the next character probably isn't affiliated with Mario, otherwise they probably would've at least teased them last week.

Other than that, I haven't picked up on any other cues as to who or what the next character will be. Doesn't seem like there's anything suggesting it'll be first or third-party one way or another.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thing is, while Nintendo's making a big deal of Mario's 35th anniversary, Smash tends not to choose characters for celebratory reasons. Not only that, we've never had a newcomer reveal before in a series-specific Direct (other than Smash ones, obviously). If there is a Mario character set to happen soon (my instincts, as little as they matter, keep telling me Geno might be next), it'd be for reasons unrelated to the anniversary (like being a highly requested character that'd fit what would've been an E3 reveal like Banjo and Ridley the previous years).

Try not to get caught up in all the talk of pomp and circumstance. Lot of speculation still treats characters and their announcements like a means to an end of representing or commemorating something, but Sakurai has said the characters are an end themselves.
we toad fans have got to hang onto something

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I must say i'm impressed at the fact that they've been keeping leaks away from the smash dlc characters.

Since Byleth we haven't had any leaks (at least that we knew of). I don't know what's with the 3d mario being rumored for so long and yet there's cero hints or clues about who the next character is. For the supposed "insiders" it's been all over the place with no concrete stuff.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm assuming most of you have heard of the new game announced today. They've also announced a follow-up video with more information for 9/26.

At this point, I think it's safe to say we aren't getting a Direct this month, and we probably won't get one for the rest of the year. I'm a little disappointed that this is how they're revealing stuff going forward, but I guess that shouldn't be a huge concern of mine. New content is new content, and after this long drought, I'm becoming increasingly content with what little we've received so far. 3D All-stars, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, HW:AoC, SwSh DLC, and F7 is a fairly decent lineup for the rest of the year.

Anywho, has anything today caused you to change your predictions? When do you think we'll get F7, do you think they'll be first or third-party, and are you feeling like they'll shadowdrop the reveal?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Anywho, has anything today caused you to change your predictions?
Not particularly.
When do you think we'll get F7,
Somewhere between next week and next month.
do you think they'll be first or third-party,
Definitely third.
and are you feeling like they'll shadowdrop the reveal?
No way. Maybe they’ll shadowdrop the date of the reveal, but they wouldn’t just drop a brand new character out of the blue.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Anywho, has anything today caused you to change your predictions? When do you think we'll get F7, do you think they'll be first or third-party, and are you feeling like they'll shadowdrop the reveal?
I still think they’ll reveal f7 in like a couple of weeks or so

they probably won’t shadowdrop the reveal, but I kinda hope they do cuz it would be really funny

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm assuming most of you have heard of the new game announced today. They've also announced a follow-up video with more information for 9/26.

At this point, I think it's safe to say we aren't getting a Direct this month, and we probably won't get one for the rest of the year. I'm a little disappointed that this is how they're revealing stuff going forward, but I guess that shouldn't be a huge concern of mine. New content is new content, and after this long drought, I'm becoming increasingly content with what little we've received so far. 3D All-stars, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, HW:AoC, SwSh DLC, and F7 is a fairly decent lineup for the rest of the year.

i imagine theres still a chance well get the reveal sometime during the rest of the year. my moneys on 3rd party cause i still think itll mostly be 3rd party. i would think its getting more and more likely it will the same as byleth

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
i imagine theres still a chance well get the reveal sometime during the rest of the year. my moneys on 3rd party cause i still think itll mostly be 3rd party. i would think its getting more and more likely it will the same as byleth
I'm still in the belief that we could have a 50/50 split with this fighter's pass, but i'm not holding out for that too much. Maybe two 1st parties and the rest as 3rd parties would be safer to assume.

As for fighter #7 i'm betting on a 3rd party, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a 1st party.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just hope that we do at least some notice with the Pokemon & smash dlc. At least a few days in advance.

There could've been some buildup to the 35th anniversary mario direct (though maybe people talking about it since March nonstop already created said buildup). Though Hyrule Warriors 2 was a huge surprise to me, glad it wasn't leaked.

As for the smash speculation, I wonder how long it will take people to speculate a zelda character only because of this announcement.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As for the smash speculation, I wonder how long it will take people to speculate a zelda character only because of this announcement.
I've seen more support for Ryu Hayabusa come out of this than I have for a Zelda rep, and even then it seems like a lot of people are saying Impa of all characters would be the most likely Zelda rep to promote the BotW world.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've seen more support for Ryu Hayabusa come out of this than I have for a Zelda rep, and even then it seems like a lot of people are saying Impa of all characters would be the most likely Zelda rep to promote the BotW world.
At least the only good news about this is that we're in the dark for future characters, so for all we know the "most likely" characters are the ones left out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just hope that we do at least some notice with the Pokemon & smash dlc. At least a few days in advance.

There could've been some buildup to the 35th anniversary mario direct (though maybe people talking about it since March nonstop already created said buildup). Though Hyrule Warriors 2 was a huge surprise to me, glad it wasn't leaked.

people were already speculating zelda characters cause of the anniversary next year

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Late on this but: I think the timeframe we have now means Fighter #7 will get revealed either next week or three weeks from now. Age of Calamity was this week's announcement, and Nintendo has gone out of their way to only have one big thing per week (and there isn't any time left for a presentation this week anyway). Tokyo Game Show is happening in livestream form from the 23rd-27th, and while Nintendo isn't directly participating, they know full well that a lot of Japanese gamers will be following that (and now we know AoC gameplay is being shown during it on the 26th). It'd make sense to either get a Sakurai Presents out of the way before TGS or wait until after it.

One possible outcome is an announcement on the 15th (Tue) for a presentation on the 17th (Thu) with the character's update coming on the 29th (Tue), then a Partner Showcase airing on the 30th (Wed) featuring stuff that wasn't at TGS (or a West-only showcase talking about Switch games covered by TGS). But there're a lot of other ways it could go.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Here's something that's both exciting and confusing.

View attachment 285278

So we finally have confirmation that Ash is immortal and simply doesn't age.
But didn't you know! Ho-oh granted Ash eternal happiness in episode 1, which in Ash's case is to be on a journey forever.

This does make me curious how old is the baby, cause if it's at least a year it'll be the most hilarious thing ever.

Also, someone give the person in charge of their twitter account a raise.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Which do we think will happen first:

Character #7 reveal or New Crown Tundra Trailer.
Maybe both if character 7 is a Pokémon, they had a trailer for the Three Houses DLC after Byleth got revealed

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well mario last week, zelda this week, is it wrong to hope that other of the big three will come this week?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
well mario last week, zelda this week, is it wrong to hope that other of the big three will come this week?
Technically tomorrow is next week, so something should happen soon. They'll either have us wait for the character or the pokemon dlc till October, since the week after is TGS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Technically tomorrow is next week, so something should happen soon. They'll either have us wait for the character or the pokemon dlc till October, since the week after is TGS.
i dunno about where you are but where i am its saturday so next week aint starting till the day after tomorrow

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We also have the possibility of a Partner Direct sometime this month, and there's the AoC presentation later this month.

Hard to say if we'll even get either a Pokémon or F7 presentation this month, and that's what makes it difficult to predict which we'll get first.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
you mean the second day of the weekEND?
Yes. At least in America, Saturday is the last day of the week and Sunday is the first.

There's actually some interesting facts about this.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes. At least in America, Saturday is the last day of the week and Sunday is the first.

There's actually some interesting facts about this.
that america calls what it thinks of as the start of the week part of the week end? im not sure thats interesting

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I don't remember if we asked this before or not, but...

Do you prefer to have all characters revealed at the announcement of the season pass or do you like the current way of only showing the upcoming character(s)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom