• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons now available on NSO

Oracle_of_rerelease.jpg

Nintendo has just announced that the two classic The Legend of Zelda games on Game Boy Color - Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons - are now available to play via the Nintendo Switch Online service. You can check out the announcement video below:

Released in 2001, both of the Oracle games contain all of the classic Zelda fun with their own unique spins on them. In Oracle of Ages, players can travel between the past and present which will happen often as the game has a heavy emphasis on puzzles. In Oracle of Seasons, players can change the seasons to one of four variations (spring, summer, fall, and winter) as they play through a game with a heavier emphasis on action.

oo ages.jpg
oo seasons.jpg

The Oracle games are unique in that you can play whichever one you want first, then play the remaining game as if it were a sequel. This is done by beating one of the games, getting an in-game password, then entering in that password into the other game. This will result in some minor story differences as well as an extra final boss. The NSO trailer confirms that this aspect from the original games will still be present in this rerelease.

Both Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are available now as part of the regular NSO subscription.

Credits
Writing/Editing:
Sari Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Author's Note: I played both games a while back but never got around to finishing them. I'll definitely try to change that soon. What do you think of this rereleases, and which one are you most excited to play? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Really excited to dig into these! Classic style Zelda, particularly set in the Era of Light and Dark, is my favorite. (Still love that ALttP Zelda is in SSBU)

Just played both of these games twice through on my 3DS, so kind of bad timing of release. Haha
Strangely enough these games were better than I remember them. Not flawless, to say the least, and there was some infuriating parts in the scenario planning that I wish I could skip past, but fantastic entries into Zelda handheld console series. If only I could shake Hidemaro Fujibayashi's hand and thank him for all his contributions to the series which gave me some of my favorite Zelda titles.
I'd recommend both Seasons & Ages to Zelda fans, but Seasons was a distinctly more enjoyable playthrough for me.

Just played both of these games twice through on my 3DS, so kind of bad timing of release. Haha
Strangely enough these games were better than I remember them. Not flawless, to say the least, and there was some infuriating parts in the scenario planning that I wish I could skip past, but fantastic entries into Zelda handheld console series. If only I could shake Hidemaro Fujibayashi's hand and thank him for all his contributions to the series which gave me some of my favorite Zelda titles.
I'd recommend both Seasons & Ages to Zelda fans, but Seasons was a distinctly more enjoyable playthrough for me.
I especially love the cool biomes on the overworld like subrosa, crescent Island, Symmetry City Amongst others!

I am glad to see both "Oracle" games released to NSO. Nintendo is giving classic titles the treatment deserved with their online service and OoS/OoA are prime candidate for inclusion.

These games are a "must-play" for anyone wanting to see Mr. Fujibayashi's entry into the series, and the games are great for those who enjoy the old-school style of the classic The Legend of Zelda or for those that loved Minnish Cap. Fans of the "N64 style" gameplay will of course find the Oracle games a much different experience, though any fan of the Legend of Zelda series can find plenty to enjoy in these two titles.

Top Bottom