• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Well, after seeing what happened at the end of the second act of this episode, I can sort of understand why Nick wouldn't want that on TV alongside their more family-friendly material, since "that" scene left me... breathless (I know that was a bad pun for those who've watched the episode).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The episode left me feeling pretty uneasy. Especially with the situation involving the Queen.
Yea, same here. Haven't felt this way about an animated show in a while. I disliked the queen, but I wasn't cheering or hoping for something like that. Not even remotely.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I just wiiiisssshhhhh I didn't spoil myself with the quick glance of the gif that was posted here. I definitely would've been more shocked.

But yeah, I didn't care for her but the idea of anyone having to die like that just makes me cringe.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
ok I totally get why they moved to total online distribution now, that was pretty gruesome for a kid's show.

Really happy to see Asami being effective and holy christ, that twist.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
So yeah, my mouth literally dropped open when I saw what went down between Zaheer and the Queen. I never would've guessed they'd show that.

I can't wait to see what goes down at the end of this Book. I feel like Zaheer's gonna achieve some super airbender state. I hope the Red Lotus stays the main antagonists for the next season; they're more interesting than Team Avatar IMO and they're starting to grow on me. Also, Mako and Bolin are really sucking this season; they need to step it up (but I still hope Bolin doesn't learn metalbending; that's Lin's schtick).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So yeah, my mouth literally dropped open when I saw what went down between Zaheer and the Queen. I never would've guessed they'd show that.

I can't wait to see what goes down at the end of this Book. I feel like Zaheer's gonna achieve some super airbender state. I hope the Red Lotus stays the main antagonists for the next season; they're more interesting than Team Avatar IMO and they're starting to grow on me. Also, Mako and Bolin are really sucking this season; they need to step it up (but I still hope Bolin doesn't learn metalbending; that's Lin's schtick).
You really can't blame Mako and Bolin for sucking. They are athletic and talented to some extent. However, they've never received any formal training and are going against people who belong to a super secret society who wanted train the Avatar. Basically, they are masters of their respective elements. But that's why I'm hoping Book 4 has a bit of a time skip for the Bending Bros to get a power up in skill. That way, they can be serviceable against named opponents and not random henchmen.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You really can't blame Mako and Bolin for sucking. They are athletic and talented to some extent. However, they've never received any formal training and are going against people who belong to a super secret society who wanted train the Avatar. Basically, they are masters of their respective elements. But that's why I'm hoping Book 4 has a bit of a time skip for the Bending Bros to get a power up in skill. That way, they can be serviceable against named opponents and not random henchmen.
Yeah, I guess they just look really bad next to all the other talented benders this season. I do hope they get some good moments soon; Mako's been putting his police skills to good use and Bolin's had some pretty funny scenes lately.

By the way, I wonder if we'll see the new/old air benders anymore this season? With all the action seemingly centered in Ba Sing Se for the time being, they seem kind of safe and isolated for now.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well...if you have not watched the Book 3 trailer or from the SDCC, there are still two scenes that have not been featured. One with Kai, and another with Tenzin. So yes, they will definitely be making a return. It would be rather silly not too in all honesty.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Oh, really? I must've missed them or forgot about them; I thought we'd seen it all already. But that's definitely good to hear! Argh, I've been on a huge Avatar kick all day; I wish they'd show all of the rest of the season next week!

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I think this season has given me the most like towards Mako's character. Him and Korra have both became much more likable with what we've seen, imo. There are some times where I find Bolin's character funny and appropriate for the scene. But I don't know, his lack of confidence bothers me. But I've expressed this a lot already lol.

I was going to make a point about how Earthbenders are "supposed" to be tough and approach things head on but I never thought of @ theeboredone theeboredone 's point with him never being formally trained so I guess that could play a big role as to why he may not have that mentality.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I feel that after Zaheer's dealt with, more airbenders with his "respect" for life will pop up. I wonder if th guru he idolizes is the reason why there's strict pacifist rules.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was going to make a point about how Earthbenders are "supposed" to be tough and approach things head on but I never thought of @ theeboredone theeboredone 's point with him never being formally trained so I guess that could play a big role as to why he may not have that mentality.
It's not even that. We have to remember that Bolin lost his parents when he was very young and has been shielded by Mako his entire life. Bolin competed as a Pro-Bender, but did not hold a secondary job, like Mako did at the factory. His main flaws have always been his own confidence and overcommitting to a part. We saw him become a total douchebag in Book 2 when he became a Mover star, and anytime he would try to hit on a girl, he would have this weird annoying personality. Hell, he even thought he was Nuktuk for a while. Anytime he would have someone control him (Eska) or be asked to do a tall task, he would instantly lose all confidence.

And that's why I know they are building up Book 3 to have Bolin do something awesome. He's had a lot of self-doubt this season, and I hope whatever he gains from the end of this Book carries onto next season.

Mako has been awesome this Book. I love how the writers have not made it so obvious since the first episode that he still has feelings for Korra. I think he's broken a record of how many times someone can say "Korra" in two episodes. With that being said, the writers have definitely emphasized his street and detective smarts. Something I wanted to see and adds to his serious and protective nature in general.

Asami? Lol.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Queen finally gets what she deserved.

Wishlist for the final episodes:
-Tenzin tearing **** apart
-Zuko tearing **** apart.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This season is my favorite so far. And Zaheer wrecks house. I'm hoping we'll know more about this Monk who Zaheer keeps referencing. Maybe he happens to be one of the few corrupt Air Benders.

Seems kind of obvious that they are setting up some scene for Bolin to learn Metal-bending. It'd work like some physical way to show his growth. Haven't seen Mako use much lightning though, he could use it before right?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This season is my favorite so far. And Zaheer wrecks house. I'm hoping we'll know more about this Monk who Zaheer keeps referencing. Maybe he happens to be one of the few corrupt Air Benders.

Seems kind of obvious that they are setting up some scene for Bolin to learn Metal-bending. It'd work like some physical way to show his growth. Haven't seen Mako use much lightning though, he could use it before right?
Agree on all points, though they might deus ex Bolin learning Lava bending instead. The popular theory about Mako not using lightning is because his "inner peace" has been ruined, since he broke up with Korra.

Good theory, but he rarely used it to begin with. It's almost as if the writers realized it was a bad move to streamline it in Book 1.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Lava bending bolin could be cool, although its hard to give a hero that power. What's he gunna do, melt every opponent? Its a cool form of bending for changing the way battles are fought, it wouldn't be great in the hands of someone you expect to be aggressive.

Time skip would be cool, maybe mako could get some zuko lessons. I agree they're leading up to a big bolin moment though, he didnt seem to have an answer against lava bending "I'm giving this guy ammo" so maybe doing it or countering it will be his moment.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
First reaction to this weeks episode: I hate pre-season finale cliffhangers. If Nick could pull the same stunt they did with the Book 2 finale and air it early, I'd really like that after how this episode ended. Though I doubt we'll get that since that happened when the show was still on TV.

Oh man, please tell me those Tenzin death watches are going to actually come true! Though his last line in the episode is really foreshadowing that happening. I don't know if I could watch a death scene like that :_(

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I liked it! It was good. Still feel like the motive of the red lotus is kinda empty. but eh, Tenzin kicked ass on this one.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Agree on all points, though they might deus ex Bolin learning Lava bending instead. The popular theory about Mako not using lightning is because his "inner peace" has been ruined, since he broke up with Korra.

Good theory, but he rarely used it to begin with. It's almost as if the writers realized it was a bad move to streamline it in Book 1.
Having Bolin use some Lava-Bending would be a lot more interesting. Could set him apart from Lin and some of the other EarthBenders. I think it could go either way though. Now that I think of it, Bolin and Mako have both Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation blood in them, and Lava is seen as a Fire+Earth power.

Did they say if that Lava-Bender(sorry forgot his name)was mixed too? Maybe that's how he can use his power.

Tenzin's fight scene was really good. Nice to see what he might really capable of.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I was thinking that the whole time.

It's also interesting to see that they haven't really explored the concept of bending water from the humidity in the air AT ALL.

Maybe they're saving that for a kick-ass Katara scene, but I don't see it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I was thinking that the whole time.

It's also interesting to see that they haven't really explored the concept of bending water from the humidity in the air AT ALL.

Maybe they're saving that for a kick-*** Katara scene, but I don't see it.
I guess it just doesn't really need to be brought up. Usually they find some convenient water to use, or carry some with them. I'd like to see it show up more too, but it might just be one of those advanced techniques few characters can learn. Maybe Kya or Korra can use it in a later fight scene.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Holy crap, this week's episode was intense! I'm scared for everyone! Coulda done without the very last scene, though.

With all the butt-kicking in this episode, I can only imagine what the finale's gonna bring. I can't wait!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Having Bolin use some Lava-Bending would be a lot more interesting. Could set him apart from Lin and some of the other EarthBenders. I think it could go either way though. Now that I think of it, Bolin and Mako have both Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation blood in them, and Lava is seen as a Fire+Earth power.

Did they say if that Lava-Bender(sorry forgot his name)was mixed too? Maybe that's how he can use his power.

Tenzin's fight scene was really good. Nice to see what he might really capable of.
Ghazan doesn't look like a combination of Fire and Earth Nation. He strictly looks Earth. And like I said, given Bolin's zero understanding of how to even start learning lava bending, it would be a total deus ex, and I hope it doesn't happen. If anything, I'd prefer him discover some awesome Earth bending technique (on accident).

I wasn't a fan of the first half of the episode, but holy crap the second part was awesome. I hated the fact some people considered Zaheer to be on equal footing with Tenzin. Well this episode debunked that. Kya just got owned hard. Bumi had better results against Ghazan lol.

I do anticipate Korra to get captured/traded in as a hostage in order to explain the RL reason for wanting her. If that doesn't get explained along with Guru what's his face...I mean...that would just be bad writing lol.

Also, Jinora once again being useless. I hope she steps up big time in a more reasonable way compared to Book 2.

Slight spoiler ahead. Source comes from SDCC trailer...

There is still a screen cap floating around of Tenzin doing a jump on some flat side of a mountain. This picture matches the SDCC footage of Lin fighting Zaheer. Tenzin will be free'd, but we don't know his fate afterwards let alone his current condition.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's getting hard to watch some of these scenes, but AMAZING episode once again. I'm so glad Tenzin was kicking Zaheer's *** as I KNEW he was no match for him. I mean, if you look back on ep 3 you'd see Tonraq giving Zaheer a hard time, and if it wasn't for P'Li he would've lost that fight almost as badly as he would've lost against Tenzin. Still, I admit Zaheer's a pretty great fighter, but I'm seeing him as less a morally gray villain and more a ruthless monster. How can you make an ultimatum like that when you value balance? It's not Amon-level hypocrisy, but it's still despicable.

Book 3 hasn't had a single bad episode. I'd rewatch any chapter.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
agreed, Zaheer was skilled, but still only an amateur, him being a match for tenzin who was an airbending master is silly and I'm glad he wasn't.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I just watched a video explaining why avatar and korra was racist on the basis of ethnic exclusion, God do I hate people who just get into social justice issues without bothering to educate themselves about intersectionality and the issues facing other groups.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I just watched a video explaining why avatar and korra was racist on the basis of ethnic exclusion, God do I hate people who just get into social justice issues without bothering to educate themselves about intersectionality and the issues facing other groups.
Didn't bother watching the whole thing. It honestly doesn't deserve attention.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Didn't bother watching the whole thing. It honestly doesn't deserve attention.
I watched it to see if his arguments had any weight, because a discussion on portrayal of Asians in series might be legitimate, and then did a point by point refutation of his canabalistic attitude.

And he responded, his education on SJ issues is insanely lacking, he's actually of the "pretend everyone's exactly the same" school of thought, ignoring practical differences as well as differences in cultural context as their relevance to pieces. It's like arguing with an activist from the 60s.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I feel like Ming Hua appears the most powerful out of all of them.
Out of all of them? I can agree with that simply because they aren't as powerful as they seem, all have a major weakness but great power as a group or against their own element.

Spoke for like half an hour with KirbyKaze about Ming hua and kya. I feel like ming's arms show just how much control she exerts over water but lacking arms gives her less finesse. She got washed away for christ's sake, any water bender should be able to stop that but you could also see kya trying to stopper her arms, it created a large bubble before it popped and Ming won their struggle. I feel Bumi would have had a better time against her, tenzin made her look useless and kya could definitely have taken ghazan in a 1 on 1, as strong as lava is its incredibly slow and obviously loses to larges, quick waves of water.

Also I disliked the level of twig saves in this episode. I am totally willing to believe they can survive any fall with air bending, please don't let a lone twig on a cliff side save every character.

Side note: I don't know how korra can fight them at this point and without tenzin or zuko I'm not sure anyone is really capable. I don't think they're incredibly powerful but it's going to take a team of which mako and bolin offer little. Korra herself isn't fantastic with air bending and earth bending is too basic for the red lotus styles. If she can out do Ming hua in water bending, which I'm willing to believe she can even though she rarely uses water bending effectively, then I can see her being more capable. Her big blasts of fire aren't going to do much to any of them tbh. Metal benders tho.... This could be interesting.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Side note: I don't know how korra can fight them at this point and without tenzin or zuko I'm not sure anyone is really capable. I don't think they're incredibly powerful but it's going to take a team of which mako and bolin offer little. Korra herself isn't fantastic with air bending and earth bending is too basic for the red lotus styles. If she can out do Ming hua in water bending, which I'm willing to believe she can even though she rarely uses water bending effectively, then I can see her being more capable. Her big blasts of fire aren't going to do much to any of them tbh. Metal benders tho.... This could be interesting.
Korra could easily take all 4 in the Avatar State. I think you are underrating how insane the AS can be when plot is applied. Remember, minus an airbending Zaheer, they were taken out by Sokka, Tonraq, Tenzin, and Zuko. Zaheer is good, but he's not great. Korra + Krew could easily do the job.

With that being said, I don't think Korra will be fighting them. It's just too simple for that to happen. Given the SDCC footage shows Lin fighting Zaheer, I think Korra will be forced to deal with something beyond the RL. Something that will pertain to why Zaheer wants her, and hasn't killed her yet. That will be Korra's challenge (and fight) to overcome.

Sedda

Smash Champion
my understanding is that she can't go into the avatar state anymore. It's supposed to be a combination of all the knowledge from all avatars, but no connections anymore.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah I thought she lost that. Or at least restarted it, the next avatar will definitely be happy to have her skills but all the past avatars got wiped when rava died. They could have said they were back but they didn't and have chosen not to show her use it since then, I wouldn't be happy if she just did it without an explanation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom