• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey BirthNote BirthNote , I've noticed that you specify the post number in the titles. That's good, but I'd wager many people don't know how to search for a thread's specific post.

I suggest you specify the page number, as well as the post number. I think more people will be inclined to find the posts you refer to that way.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey BirthNote BirthNote , I've noticed that you specify the post number in the titles. That's good, but I'd wager many people don't know how to search for a thread's specific post.

I suggest you specify the page number, as well as the post number. I think more people will be inclined to find the posts you refer to that way.
Yknow, I remember there being an option to have different page layouts. I set mine to 30 posts per page but some users were on different configurations; now that I'm checking for it, I can't find that option anymore. Is everyone on 30 posts per page now?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Thanks! I have really liked doing those characters, especially Pipsy. Hmm I can try making Swanky look older.

I was also thinking it would be cool to do character profiles for everyone like this

I thought I could come up with the layout and someone here could write the info. I especially thought you would be good at it. Or maybe no one is interested :laugh: Just an idea I had.
That sounds fun! And thanks! I think I could help with some characters if you decide to go through with it, but maybe we can all contribute cause I'm guessing we all know some characters better than others.

We can pool our brain trust of highly regarded Gnawty scholars and influential but banned Zinger Zoologists.

This is the thread after all where I learned about Dixie's camera. We got a lot of DK knowledge running through here.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yknow, I remember there being an option to have different page layouts. I set mine to 30 posts per page but some users were on different configurations; now that I'm checking for it, I can't find that option anymore. Is everyone on 30 posts per page now?
Flipped through the last 4 pages, I get 40 posts per page.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Thank you BirthNote BirthNote for adding me to the support list. You deserve so much major credit for starting this amazing campaign for Dixie Kong.

My love for the DK series grew a lot over the recent years after realizing how under the radar and undervalued the franchise is. Looking back at it all, it feels like out of all of Nintendo’s top selling franchises, the DK series is the one that drew the short straw.

Donkey Kong first came into the Super Smash Bros. series in 1999, Diddy Kong came into this series in 2008 (9 years after DK), and King K. Rool came into this series in 2018 (10 years after Diddy). I don’t want to wait another decade for Dixie Kong to finally come into this series too. With the way things are going for the DK series and its characters, we have to speed up the process for Dixie getting into Smash as much as possible, as I really want her to be in Ultimate. I’m happy to be part of the support list, I will do what I can to make any contributions.

Oh yeah, it’s also 40 posts per page for me as well. It’s definitely a huge factor to highlight previous posts made on this thread to use as something helpful for Dixie’s appeal in her campaign.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Alright guys I have returned with another DK question or topic. What is the most UNDERRATED song/piece of music in the DK franchise? You know one that never gets brought up as often as it should when talking about DK soundtracks or DK pieces of music that should be in smash but you think is amazing in general.

My choice would probably be Disco Train from DKC2. I think its a very fun groovy song that I hear no one talk about when they gush about the DKC2 soundtrack. I dont think the song "fits" Smash but I do really enjoy it a lot.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Alright guys I have returned with another DK question or topic. What is the most UNDERRATED song/piece of music in the DK franchise? You know one that never gets brought up as often as it should when talking about DK soundtracks or DK pieces of music that should be in smash but you think is amazing in general.

My choice would probably be Disco Train from DKC2. I think its a very fun groovy song that I hear no one talk about when they gush about the DKC2 soundtrack. I dont think the song "fits" Smash but I do really enjoy it a lot.
Possibly this song which could fit for a underwater level for Castlevania. Not sure if it's underrated but I don't hear many mention it that often, the GBA version might be more known cause it's a remix of the the first game's water level music.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Northern Kremisphere from DKC3 SNES. Very mysterious and calming. Just enough of a melody. A little intimidating, too.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thank you BirthNote BirthNote for adding me to the support list. You deserve so much major credit for starting this amazing campaign for Dixie Kong.

My love for the DK series grew a lot over the recent years after realizing how under the radar and undervalued the franchise is. Looking back at it all, it feels like out of all of Nintendo’s top selling franchises, the DK series is the one that drew the short straw.

Donkey Kong first came into the Super Smash Bros. series in 1999, Diddy Kong came into this series in 2008 (9 years after DK), and King K. Rool came into this series in 2018 (10 years after Diddy). I don’t want to wait another decade for Dixie Kong to finally come into this series too. With the way things are going for the DK series and its characters, we have to speed up the process for Dixie getting into Smash as much as possible, as I really want her to be in Ultimate. I’m happy to be part of the support list, I will do what I can to make any contributions.

Oh yeah, it’s also 40 posts per page for me as well. It’s definitely a huge factor to highlight previous posts made on this thread to use as something helpful for Dixie’s appeal in her campaign.
You're welcome! I remember joining this site during the pre-SSB4 speculation. Back then I was on the K. Rool and Bowser Jr train, but always thought Dixie would be cool too. One of the things I noticed though, was that Dixie was getting overlooked for one reason or another. In the past versions of her Support Threads, most people seemed to only want her in as a tagteam where Diddy's Down B swaps her in; otherwise we shouldn't bother because she'd only be a clone anyway. I didn't want either option for her since DK and Diddy were separate despite being paired much more often, and I had a hard time seeing Dixie as a clone. Also, around that time there was a toxic rivalry with the K. Rool fandom, where fans would openly take shots at each other and use counterpoints to take their target down.

I wasn't in charge of the Dixie thread back then but some of us were tired of the infighting; people started speaking up and eventually things calmed down, but still it felt like Dixie was getting overlooked. K. Rool had a healthy level of support but Dixie was barely an afterthought. Nobody was convinced she could do anything, so when the "LOL, Diddy Clone" mentality came around (and still does) I started pushing back. Some fans were saying she'd use her hair to do things Diddy couldn't possibly mimic, but people wanted to know how. An extra limb growing out the back of her head sounded abstract, so I started brainstorming ideas while bored in college. Did some crude doodles as a rough draft, then started posting them in 2013. It helped, but I didn't finish until 2015; in that timeframe more people started coming up with ideas and posting their movesets. It was stuff I wouldn't have even thought of; VeemonTamer, myself, Arcadenik and others helped people start to see Dixie's potential to be more than Female Diddy, with varying degrees of uniqueness to keep the discussion alive.

I'm actually glad more and more people jumped in on the creativity. I literally cannot do this alone as I have less patience than I did 6 years ago and real life to worry about. Plus there's people coming up with ideas that amaze me (thanks Seashore!) and the thread has been so healthy and productive for a good while. I try not to stifle discussion, even when things I disagree with pop up. In cases like those I let everyone know where I stand and just go from there, and while I'm happy with how this thread is, we can always improve. She's not laughed out of the discussion like she used to be but she's not the no-brainer "It's GOTTA be her!" choice either. We gotta get her more to that end.

I wanna thank you for being so enthusiastic; if you're willing to help feel free to drop some ideas in this thread, also let us know of any fan-polls floating around that we can use to boost Dixie's awareness. Seriously, fanart, essays, polls, conversation starters and whatnot will always be welcomed. I wanted to commend your positivity much sooner but never made time to post a genuine reply til now; I'm admittedly pretty slow when it comes to that lol. Still gotta give Snowbound, Sabertooth and Chronobound a good reply too.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
dixie kong makes every game better confirmed

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
dixie kong makes every game better confirmed
Not untrue. Most games where she is directly playable are blessed and invulnerable to be bad (Dishonorable exceptions include the Konga Games and Barrel Blast). No, I don't want to hear DKC3 bashing. To me, it's better than DKC1, fite me.
Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is a great game for a reason. Also shoutouts to that game for being the first Mario Spin Off to actually respect the DK trio.

Some tunes from GBA DKC3, but that is mostly the fault of the game for not playing them until like 30 seconds after the start.
Semi-Original tunes from Returns like Palm Tree Groove, Furious Fire (Also known as Lower Norfair 2: Electric Boogaloo) or Music Madness often get ignored now. Music Madness is my favorite tune from that game and it almost sounds like it is from Wise. When it isn't!!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I'd say Life in The Mines. It's so soothing but climactic and beautiful. It's got a wistful melody that makes me wanna persevere, plus hearing it while playing Trick Track Trek kept me sane when I was 4. That level was a b***h!

The Returns version was beautiful too; having it play in Krem Kroc's dilapidated factory made the place feel more magical. All the rusty gears, the tired but functional machinery and the collapsed ceilings gave off a sense of exploring ruins of a modern age. It's fascinating to see that nature was retaking that place, getting slightly less Techno/Industrial each game.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
^My man!

But really now, Dixie's presence helped skyrocket what were already such revolutionary experiences like Bubsy 3D & Yoshi's New Island. Just imagine what she could do for shikaka tripe like Breath of the Wild or Rayman Legends!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Videogames are just the first frontier for Dixie. Her rule will extend to regular games one day, too.

At the Dixie Lab we are inventing a variation on the classic children's game "tag". Where in the Dixie version, the children say "tag, you're Dixie" instead of "tag, you're it". The children being chased by the Dixie dress up as Smash Bros-themed envelopes. And rest assured, the Dixie gets all the Smash envelopes every time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Crocodile Isle:

I feel like songs related to K. Rool or the Kremlings in the games in general are all severely underrated outside of Gangplank Galleon.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Tropical Freeze made GameXplains Top 5 games of the decade. The results were decided upon by the 5 core GX members as well as audience votes. Tropical Freeze tied for 4th with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Dragon Quest 11 S Definitive Edition. 3rd was Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2nd was The Last of Us, and 1st was Zelda: BOTW.

https://youtu.be/1hjAMadVJOE

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.
Here's Art that I probably should have waited until today to post considering there's no other official DK Christmas Art I could find, but didn't have the patience to wait.
As we get closer to the Holiday Season, enjoy some Christmas DK backgrounds.

And now one with Dixie.

1577164786851.png
Also enjoy a new Christmas DK remix

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice

I love and listen to pretty much any music made by David Wise.

But for this choice, I will go with something not made by him.

Cosmic Highway from DK Barrel Blast. I know the game doesn’t exactly have compelling gameplay, but the music track remains a hidden gem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEcwRJxjBA

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
playing DKC2 again and boy this game never ceases to astonish me. its SUCH a good marriage of a fast and challenging platformer with tight controls, and a technical marvel that utilizes the system to its fullest to create an amazingly rich atmosphere.

AND it has Dixie Kong!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have some bad news for everyone. I was working on that storyboard for SeashoreWar last night as a gift to this thread for Christmas, but after putting the near-finishing touches on it I can't access it anymore. "Insufficient space on Disk" is the error message I get every time, and so far there's no way to open it.

I don't wanna start over, so as it stands I won't be able to post it at all. Sorry bout that, I basically wasted 3 hours of my day on art I can't access. Still, my Christmas is going great, and I hope everyone else's is too, along with any holidays y'all might be celebrating.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

The new year, 2020, is coming up soon.

The 2010’s have been a tough decade for the DK series, only two games in the recent decade.

Here’s hoping that the series does better in the 2020’s decade.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A tier list to wind down the holiday, retweeted by the @DixieForSmash account.

Also some Christmas DK Music, also retweeted by the account.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Merry Christmas everyone!

Have anyone here seen Jammin' Sam Miller's channel? They do restored versions of the Dkc SNES trilogy OST's without the compression which shows how well made these songs come out with the SNES sound system.

Here's some samples which features my favorite songs from each game.
Theyre great! Been following Sam for about a year and a half. His videos are/were being copied by another account, so make you all give Sam some love(if you havent already) as he's doing the legitimate groundwork. Always look forward to a new video from him. He's doing God's work obtaining the original instuments/components to create all these fantastic restorations. They're truly timeless pieces of work, the DKC2 soundtrack and it's made more poigant hearing the umcompressed, 'natural' versions in full.

David Wise is also aware of the project and approved his work, there are also a handful of tunes which are missing some pieces and/or difficult to recreate, such as Mining Meloncholy DKC2. This is according to comments by Sam on a couple of his videos.

Thanks for the timely reminder, gotta catch up on some of his new uploads!

Merry Christmas all, enjoy the time with your loved ones and stay safe!

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Mining Melancholy's drums are so distinct that it's hard to make a cover sound right, so I can understand that.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Merry Christmas everyone (though where Im at its almost over) so here have a listen to the greatest christmas tune ever composed:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
playing DKC2 again and boy this game never ceases to astonish me. its SUCH a good marriage of a fast and challenging platformer with tight controls, and a technical marvel that utilizes the system to its fullest to create an amazingly rich atmosphere.

AND it has Dixie Kong!
Honestly, everything needs Dixie Kong in it. The world can't have life without Dixie Kong.

Top Bottom