• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet

Fixed Lemmy and Iggy's Clown Cars based on the thought that Iggy's was too similar to Jr.'s Clown Car color. Iggy now is more lemon than lime to match his septor color and the "smoke" that emanates from the septor and Lemmy is orange to coincide with his shell and accent colors on the bouncing ball he stands upon.

Also switched out the Roy Clown Car I did for the one @ Kevandre Kevandre made with the glasses added to the car. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Holy mother of text walls, Batman.

I've said this in the character thread, and I didn't want to bring it here, but now I'm going to anyway.

You're a Bowser Jr. fan? How about being grateful that he's even playable at all? You're right, some people are here because of the Koopalings, and some people even hate Bowser Jr. Guess what? I've hated Bowser Jr. for years... but I don't care about the Koopalings. I put aside my issues with Jr. and found reasons to like him, because I want to get along with people and use every character in the game. Sure, I'll probably use the Koopalings more, but that doesn't take away Jr.'s spotlight.

I find it incredibly ironic that a Jr. fan is going to complain about the Koopalings taking Jr.'s spotlight, when Jr. took their spotlight for years. We hadn't seen them since Super Mario World. and they've even been retconned from being Bowser's children. If you really can't deal with the Koopalings like I was able to deal with Jr., then the best thing for you to do is just ignore them.

"tl;dr": Get off your high horse, no one is taking anyone's spotlight. Be glad that Jr. is playable at all.
That's why I don't get why such complains occur.

That's like me keep complaining about the starting section of the Paper Mario stage being from sticker star. I wanted so much more rep that do I honestly have any reasons to complains about it? no, but getting a highly wanted character playable, just that is something you really should be aware that it could have not happened and in his case, wouldn't make the game bad if he wasn't in so I expected to see people hype about it.

Like, unless you didn't really wanted him in the first place, I don't see how not having swap when the main character you wanted is playable and as most of here probably wanted, he seems to be unique and VERY far from clone (I don't know if it was a counterargument because if it was, it's kinda stupid).

That's weird to see this thread like this when if I really wanted him, I would hype for the rest of speculation or at the very least, be very happy, but here, it seems like more negative.

Don't know, but you might want to look what you got instead of what you didn't got.

D

Deleted member

I respect your opinion, but while Bowser Jr. is featured on the site and has his own character slot on the CSS (we may not get a trailer for him), I have seen many responses to this thread only excited for the Koopalings. They couldn't care less about Bowser Jr. So in that sense, attention is being driven away from Bowser Jr. That's all we're getting at.
I get what you're saying, but you seemed to miss the point: Because people like the Koopalings, they might grow to enjoy Bowser Jr. instead of loathing him, especially since they are on "even footing" (even though Jr. is still on top by quite a bit).

-

So basically the reasons why some people are disappointed with this are: "Oh no its not Jr. its the Clown Car!" and "Nobody likes Jr. they just like the Koopalings!" Even though Jr. is almost always in a mech and the Koopalings is just fanservice that can draw in more Jr. fans. Not to mention the complete fact that Jr. is featured more prominently, and on top of that you don't have to play as the Koopalings, you have Bowser Jr. Seriously, I welcome people who are here for only the Koopalings because that broadens the fanbase. The thing is, these people wouldn't care at all if the Koopalings weren't included. The way some reactions have been makes it seem like the Jr. fans have a private club thats been crashed by some hobos that represent the Koopalings.

johno1995

Smash Cadet
I was bored and had an idea for Bowser Jr.'s trailer. :lol:

The start of the trailer shows a young boy strolling around, showing off his trusty yo-yo to a pink puffball that walks at his side.

Yep, it's the return of Ness and Jigglypuff - the last of the original characters!

Suddenly, they hear childish snickering and look to the sky on this peaceful day...

Cannonballs are flying in their direction - Ness manages to get Jigglypuff out of the way, helping her evade them. They see the Junior Clown Car in the sky, with Bowser Jr. at the helm. Cue a bad*** remix of this theme from "Sticker Star".

"Bowser Jr. clowns around!"

Ness and Jigglypuff do their best, but Junior seems to be kicking their butts, transitioning us to a gameplay video of Junior navigating the battlefield, showing off his moves and a taunt or two.

(Someone had the idea of Shulk in his swimsuit getting licked by the Clown Car, I think that sounds funny and very Sakurai-esque XD)

"You can play as the Koopalings too!"

One gameplay clip shows Bowser Jr., Ludwig, Larry, and Wendy duking it out on a battlefield together. Then another shows Morton, Roy, Iggy, and Lemmy.

At the end of the video, Junior cackles after having his clown car lick and stun Ness. That's when he turns around and sees Jigglypuff landed behind him on the Clown Car. Jiggly looks angry. Junior laughs for a moment, not taking her seriously, and then she shuts her eyes and falls asleep... the explosion from Jigglypuff's Rest sends Junior flying into the sky, doing a Screen KO.

Jigglypuff floats to the ground and Ness gives the puffball a high-five.

In the last scene, a defeated Junior is sprawled out in front of his broken clown car trying to fix it. It malfunctions and blows up in his face. Junior lies there, charred in a cartoonish fashion (ash face, etc. - nothing violent XD), crying angrily and kicking his arms and legs because of his embarrassing loss. The camera zooms out to show that beside him lies his father Bowser, who was sent flying off-screen in Shulk's trailer. As his son lies there throwing a tantrum, Bowser just grumbles with a sad look on his face and starts patting Junior's head, trying to comfort him. Then the trailer fades out...

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
boy am I thankful that I like both Jr and the Kooaplings

this is the best outcome

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I get what you're saying, but you seemed to miss the point: Because people like the Koopalings, they might grow to enjoy Bowser Jr. instead of loathing him, especially since they are on "even footing" (even though Jr. is still on top by quite a bit).

-

So basically the reasons why some people are disappointed with this are: "Oh no its not Jr. its the Clown Car!" and "Nobody likes Jr. they just like the Koopalings!" Even though Jr. is almost always in a mech and the Koopalings is just fanservice that can draw in more Jr. fans. Not to mention the complete fact that Jr. is featured more prominently, and on top of that you don't have to play as the Koopalings, you have Bowser Jr. Seriously, I welcome people who are here for only the Koopalings because that broadens the fanbase. The thing is, these people wouldn't care at all if the Koopalings weren't included. The way some reactions have been makes it seem like the Jr. fans have a private club thats been crashed by some hobos that represent the Koopalings.
That may not be the case, though. And even so, that's not what I care about much.

Well I didn't say either of the quotes, but what's italicized isn't really true. Many people on this thread said they only care about Jr.'s inclusion because of the Koopalings.

I really don't want to start another argument though. I respect everyone's opinions (without throwing insults).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Remember guys.

Bowser Jr will be the one getting the amiibo. He'll be the one people refer to when mentioning the character. He'll be the one on the main site.

He's got all the spotlight, honestly. I bet you he'll be the center of fan arts and such as well.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I have to say, I really didn't know how much I wanted this character. I'm impressed in general. If the Koopalings thing is true then this is definitely my #2 newcomer following Robin.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
sibling rivalry? JR is the only kid of bowser, the Koopalings are only elite minions
I don't care what the official word of God is, my headcanon will always say the Koopalings are Bowser's illegitimate children, while Jr is the "trueborn" heir.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So, what do most Bowser Jr. fans think about him in the Koopa Clown Car? Better or worse than paintbrush?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So, what do most Bowser Jr. fans think about him in the Koopa Clown Car? Better or worse than paintbrush?
Way better yo.

Why would anyone want a magic paintbrush over fighting in a mech? This is better than I ever imagined for the character.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Way better yo.

Why would anyone want a magic paintbrush over fighting in a mech? This is better than I ever imagined for the character.
Glad I'm not the only one. KCC too good.

Fixed Lemmy and Iggy's Clown Cars based on the thought that Iggy's was too similar to Jr.'s Clown Car color. Iggy now is more lemon than lime to match his septor color and the "smoke" that emanates from the septor and Lemmy is orange to coincide with his shell and accent colors on the bouncing ball he stands upon.

Also switched out the Roy Clown Car I did for the one @ Kevandre Kevandre made with the glasses added to the car. :)
These are really good. Can I use them in my Clown Car thread?
These are some of my color swaps

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
Awesome! I LOVE/am terrified by this particular Kirby Clown Car, but do heavily favor it as the Kirby "hat"/appearance for him seeing as how one of the debates is that the Clown Car is doing most of the work with Jr. as the pilot. I would assume that since the Neutral Special would involve the Clown Car and not necessarily the pilot, this (nightmare-inducing) appearance would be the best look. :p

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
For people who aren't aware yet.

Each Koopaling would have it's own voice, model and possibly taunts. They however fight exactly the same as Boeser Jr and have a similar height. Their design won't clash because they are inside of a machine the whole time.

I could see the alt thing being dumb if bowser jr used his paintbrush and the Koopalings were alts using the paintbrush. That wouldn't make sense but having him drive a machine the whole time makes sense for all Koopalings to be alts.

You select bowser Jr's icon on the select screen and you can switch to another Koopalings and their name will appear. I'm pretty sure the announcer will announce their names individually.

I for one am so happy to know I'll play as Wendy in smash bros.

Oh my did I just say that? Imagine if I said that a few months back before the leak. People would call me delusional and crazy to think Wendy Koopa is playable lol

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I feel this week of updates has certainly helped push the fact of the koopalings being alts to be a bit more likely. Following with Shulks reveal, the pic of All-Star Mode and all characters getting 8 colors or skins seems to match the leak we recieved. Although you never know, they did lie apparently about DLC so its hard to know if everything the said was true, or if they said certain things just to crush a few people with overwhelming hype, before crashing to realization that it wasn't real (I am really hoping Mewtwo comes back for my friend who used it as a main.).

That being said, I really do hope the koopalings are alts, it would be a ton of fun. And previous team matches have had shades of a single color if you use the same character (Three people could play DK, being a light red, red, or dark red gorilla), so really there is no reason to assume two people couldn't necessarily play the same Koopaling, but I understand where the concern for that comes from. Still I feel the koopalings are just such a fresh unique idea, and I would love to see them tucked inside the little beat-em-up clown copter. Although as said before, I wonder how it would go for voices and the announcers voice. I could imagine each koopaling sporting their own voice, and the announcer being able to say "THIS GAMES WINNER IS, MORTON", but that on top of all the slightly altered models does sound like a ton of work for a single character model.

In any case, while it does look like the Koopalings could be the real deal for alts, the sensible thing to do is to not get too excited for the idea just yet. I honestly really want to be able to play as all of them, because I just think they all have such cool designs and all fit their own role as koopa kids, but I dont wanna say hands down "They are 100% in" only to be crushed when I cant play as my girl Wendy (Though I will still love playing Bowser jr, just because I think the concept of fighting in the clown copter is so cool)

My big hope is that they will be shown off in the next reveal trailer. I can imagine after the game play footage of Bowser Jr. is shown off and the trailer is almost done, it will go to a scene of Bowser Jr. doing his little taunting laughter as the other koopalings fly up near him and join in with their cheerful evil cackles before fading to black. A man can dream.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't get the schism here. Who's to say Jr. won't have his own palette swaps? In Brawl, overalls Wario had alts.
It's entirely possible, but compare to Villager who ONLY has different costumes instead of colors. We're ASSUMING that BJ only has costumes as well, which fits Sakurai's "eight costumes" quote on last night's potd

This makes me uncomfortable and I feel like I need an adult, despite being one myself...

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mediocre.

The concept is really cool, don't get me wrong, but it's not what I wanted Bowser Junior to be. If he uses it somewhere in his moveset, I can deal. But if he doesn't, I can't say I won't be disappointed. I mean it's sort of Junior's main tool and what he's known for.

if there's no paintbrush i will riot and make this as big as ganondorf not using a sword you heard it here first

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I would've prefered jr. with the paintbrush as well but I'm glad of his inclusion nonetheless.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I do have to say, most of the reason that I like this inclusion is because of the clown car. I had been among those who thought he'd just be using the paintbrush. He might be unique but probably not that much. Plus, if we had a paint-based character I'd rather have the Inkling from Splatoon. So win-win for me

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I like that Bowser JR has the Clown Car. The only game where JR uses the paint brush is in Sunshine, and even in that game he never uses it as a direct weapon to attack Mario. The Koopa Clown Car on the other hand has been used by Bowser JR in both NSMB WII and NSMBU in direct fight's against Mario (and he fight's in a robot based on the Clown Car in Galaxy 2). The Clown car is also a much more iconic... thing from Mario (originating in Mario World).

Honestly Bowser JR being in the Clown Car is what sold me on his inclusion. Also having the option to choose what Koopaling you want to play as is also nice (Lemmy master race). Plus I want to get an Inkling playable if we have any paint-based reps.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Keyblade, Villager DOESN'T use his modern design actually, because that would be the New Leaf design that made villager models thinner and taller than the Smash 4 Villager, who uses the Original/Wild World/City design.

Not to mention you could do with being less rude than to call people dirt clods and such.
The "Dirt Clods" remark is a reference to Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing; it's his version of swearing before he has to repeat his No Reestting lecture.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The "Dirt Clods" remark is a reference to Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing; it's his version of swearing before he has to repeat his No Reestting lecture.
And thus why Nintendo made him optional other than the fact that he was annoying and terrified small children.

On the subject of Junior, I'm glad that he's using the Clown Car since it was a concept that NEVER had great representation in a Smash game before. All it ever had was a trophy in Melee and a minor role in the Subspace Emissary. Now that it's used as a unique way for the Koopa Prince and his "brotherly" ("sisterly" for Wendy) subjects to fight, I applaud Sakurai for coming up with such a genius idea.

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
(Assuming the Koopalings as alts is true)
I honestly hope Bowser Jr. separates from the Koopalings as 1 character in Smash when 5mash comes around. Keep the Koopalings in as their own character with the Clown Car moveset (I guess the name announced for them could be "Koopaling") then give Jr. a new moveset based off his paintbrush and then everyone should be happy. 1% chance to happen but I'll hope for it anyway. I'm just really fond of the idea of Jr. using his paintbrush way more than using the Clown Car.

I also see a lot of people saying the paintbrush wouldn't be unique.... All I have to say to you people is you..
  1. Have never played Sunshine
  2. Are not thinking very hard
Or both.
The paintbrush could easily be just as unique as the Clown Car moveset is. Ike is a clone of Link because they both have swords.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's not that it wouldn't be unique (anything can)

It's just bland as all hell compared to mechs.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
There's no certainty that it would be some sort of clone or more of the same, but yar... compared to the copter, it's straight up generic. It's great that they took such a stock character from Mario and turned him into friggin' awesomesauce.

LemmyKoopa1

Smash Rookie
I think that it is very likely the the koopalings will be alternates because they are extremely popular lately, there are going to be 8 palettes for each character (junior + 7 koopalings), and the rumor that suggested it also predicted Shulk, making it more likely.
It is extremely ironic that Bowser Jr. fans say that the koopalings are stealing the spotlight from him when it was Bowser Jr. who replaced the koopalings after they had appeared in several mario platformers until NSBW, where they were reintroduced but with a smaller roll than junior and junior was still the one who appeared in spin-offs, except for NSB2 and MK8. Even if they are alternates Bowser Jr. still gets the amiibo, a video based on him, and a spot on the site. However, it is true that he is the reason they are in the game.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Mediocre.

The concept is really cool, don't get me wrong, but it's not what I wanted Bowser Junior to be. If he uses it somewhere in his moveset, I can deal. But if he doesn't, I can't say I won't be disappointed. I mean it's sort of Junior's main tool and what he's known for.

if there's no paintbrush i will riot and make this as big as ganondorf not using a sword you heard it here first
Jr uses his paintbrush for one of his up aerials. It's probably not what you're hoping for, though, as it appears to be just a melee attack.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Jr uses his paintbrush for one of his up aerials. It's probably not what you're hoping for, though, as it appears to be just a melee attack.
I saw a stick of some sorts being used for his up tilt. It was kinda tough to tell since everything was so blurry.
I'm hoping for a special at least, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I've never been in this thread before, just offering my two cents here.

I have to say, Bowser Jr. is a character I like, but never really wanted in Smash. After seeing that leak though... I've grown to love the idea of him playable with his clown car, and from the looks of it might just use him as one of my mains.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I saw a stick of some sorts being used for his up tilt. It was kinda tough to tell since everything was so blurry.
I'm hoping for a special at least, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
We only know of 2 specials, Mechakoopa Bomb and eject. I'd be willing to bet at least one of his specials involves the brush.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
We only know of 2 specials, Mechakoopa Bomb and eject. I'd be willing to bet at least one of his specials involves the brush.
His side special looks to be a Bullet Bill projectile and at one point we see him throw some kind of mini bomb in mid-air. That's all four specials accounted for.

The Brush looks to be used in one or two melee attacks, surely to be swapped out with a wand for the Koopalings.

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
His side special looks to be a Bullet Bill projectile and at one point we see him throw some kind of mini bomb in mid-air. That's all four specials accounted for.

The Brush looks to be used in one or two melee attacks, surely to be swapped out with a wand for the Koopalings.
The cannonball move looks to be his side smash to me. You can see in the leaked footage that Bowser Jr. flashes yellow for a hot second, indicating a smash attack. Apparently he has a projectile smash attack like Mega Man does. Which still leaves some special moves open for business.

My thoughts on his moveset from what we've solely seen in the videos are:

Up+B = Ejection
Neutral B = Clown Tongue (just think of Kirby doing that one with his creepy Koopa "hat")
Down+B = MechaKoopa
Side Smash = Cannonball
Up Tilt = Paintbrush
Jab = Punching Boxing Gloves
Neutral Air = Spinning Boxing Gloves
Down Air = Cannonball Drop

I think that is about all we saw in the leaked footage. Would love to know what the missing moves and Final Smash are!!! :colorful:

EDIT: I also think that my speculation on Bowser Jr.'s Down+B and Neutral B could be switched. Perhaps for Neutral B he lays out the MechaKoopa and it traverses the level injuring/attacking players, sort of like King DeDeDe's Waddle Toss move from Brawl.

Which means I can also see the Down+B being the tongue move as a more defensive maneuver to keep enemies at bay seeing as how most reflect/counter/defense moves sit in the Down+B position for specials.

Last edited:

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Koopalings or not Bowser Jr is a great charcter on my list (Iggy is my favorite koopaling), even so, I will be using Bowser Jr most if not all the time cause he's the most iconic in the Koopa Kart and my most favorite out of the koopa troop. All the koopalings got magical powers in the NSMB games. But I loved fighting Bowser Jr the most out of all of them. His moves were so epic. Bowser Jr the Mischevious Clown Cart Rider, man I'm hyped! Now I need to own all the Roys. :)

Don't really care that much for the brush, I could see something with Shadow Mario, but not much since it is just an exact clone of mario, also would be a pain making 35+ shadow clones for the characters if that's a possibility..And a move making the floor insta-slip material could be very annoying and typical.

Top Bottom