• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Funny thing is that, way back when, Bowser Jr. was one of my most wanted characters.
I wanted either him or Toad, two Mario character I feel deserve inclusion. Though I kinda drifted into just supporting Toad later on.
We may not be getting Toad, but it's good to see Junior being an actually likely addition, and I can't say him fighting in the Clown Car doesn't sound incredibly interesting.
And that artwork is gorgeous. Real or fake, seeing it made me remember how much I love the guy.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The thought that Sakurai dedicated the time to make 7 Koopaling alt. is rather bizarre and amazing.
He could have asked for Koopaling HD models from Mario Kart 8 to use in the game. I don't buy the Koopaling alts thing yet, though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is it weird that Bowser Jr. is one of the less talked characters on the leak? Everyone is loving the Duck Hunt Dog, saying that Shulk was expected, hating on Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Yet, no one is up for some Bowser Jr. discussion. And I would have expected a lot more of "too many Mario characters".
Me? I kinda like him, especially since he is not a Bowser clone. And a mech riding character was long overdue (too bad for Porky though). And according to that other leak that matched this one, Bowser Jrs. alt color will be the rest o the Koopalings. How 'bout that?.
It's pretty obvious that certain Mario fans find him the "Scrappy Doo" of the Mario franchise or prefer the Koopalings as better characters (due to being less annoying and actually having zany personalities). I don't really mind him nor hate him since he's actually Bowser's only child thanks to Miyamoto retconning their relationship with them.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
The idea of Bowser Jr being in some sort mech is kinda interesting. On one hand I would rather see him normal while using the paintbrush/other abilities. But on the other hand in more resent games we often see him in the clown car or in fancy mechs:

Bowser Jr could give us something new in smash making him the first Tron Bonne styled character in smash. Also judging by resent leaks if he dose fight in any sort of mech it's probably gonna be a variation of the clown car.

Last edited:

classix410

Smash Cadet
The idea of Bowser Jr being in some sort mech is kinda interesting. On one hand I would rather see him normal while using the paintbrush/other abilities. But on the other hand in more resent games we often see him in the clown car or in fancy mechs:

Bowser Jr could give us something new in smash making him the first Tron Bonne styled character in smash. Also judging by resent leaks if he dose fight in any sort of mech it's probably gonna be a variation of the clown car.
This is why I cannot wait to play with this character.

Reila

You guys have no idea how much I like the Koopa Clown Car. I am so hyped for a character riding it in Super Smash Bros!

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
I really like the idea of him being knocked out of the clown car and then being able to use his paintbrush. I'm not fond of him being always attached to the cart, I'd much prefer his paintbrush. But if he could get knocked out of it and then use his paintbrush then it's a win-win for everyone!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Koopaling alts seem realistic if Jr. uses the car because they could still feasibly all have the same hitboxes. If he doesn't have the car I highly doubt they'll be alts due to hitbox dicrepencies.

Also the Koopalings are more popular because they originated in a much more popular game, when most fans were still kids.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of him being knocked out of the clown car and then being able to use his paintbrush. I'm not fond of him being always attached to the cart, I'd much prefer his paintbrush. But if he could get knocked out of it and then use his paintbrush then it's a win-win for everyone!
I really like this idea. I'm not a huge fan of him staying in his Clown Car the entire time either. While it would make him unique, there are other ways to do so, by using his paintbrush for an example. Honestly I'd also rather him have normal palette swaps and not just the annoying Koopalings. However, I'd be happy as long as he's in haha. That's really my only concern.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
The leak shows Bowser Jr in his koopa car. If real it confirms the Koopalings as character alts.

Only happy cause I can play as Wendy Koopa in Smash bros!

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm less than fond of Jr. as a character. The Koopalings are much more interesting designs for Bowser's kids than just "Mini-me" Bowser, and the fact that Miyamoto has effectively kicked the Koopa Kids out of the family for the little runt irritates me even more.

As a boss, however, I do enjoy all the mechs and machines he challenges you with. It does keep things interesting and worthwhile, and gives the scrappy little scrapper some worth. If he is in, riding the clown car, I'll be pretty okay with it. It's unique, it's original, and it leads to some cool ideas for fighting.

That said, if the thing about the Koopalings as alts is also true, PARTY DOWN! IGGY! LEMMY! LARRY! LUDWIG! KOOPALINGS FOR LIFE!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I'm less than fond of Jr. as a character. The Koopalings are much more interesting designs for Bowser's kids than just "Mini-me" Bowser, and the fact that Miyamoto has effectively kicked the Koopa Kids out of the family for the little runt irritates me even more.

As a boss, however, I do enjoy all the mechs and machines he challenges you with. It does keep things interesting and worthwhile, and gives the scrappy little scrapper some worth. If he is in, riding the clown car, I'll be pretty okay with it. It's unique, it's original, and it leads to some cool ideas for fighting.

That said, if the thing about the Koopalings as alts is also true, PARTY DOWN! IGGY! LEMMY! LARRY! LUDWIG! KOOPALINGS FOR LIFE!
thats why i like the idea of the clown car because of how unique it would be, (the only other character i would see in a mech is pokey in the spider mech from earthbound,) and even if he is not in the clown car he still would be unique with the paintbrush, (hopefully) or just a semi clone of squirtle (can you be a semi clone of a cut character?)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Huh. I never knew he appeared in the clown car that often. It'd indeed make him a very interesting character.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I could be down for the idea of someone moving around in a hovering vehicle, and all the characteristics that would encompass. I don't believe the leak at present but I'm always happy to entertain possibilities as the time for speculation draws for close, because the playstyle ideas that come to mind by riding a flying vehicle really is that appealing on paper.

That said, I hate raining on the parade of potentially cool fanservice, but I do strongly doubt that we'd have the seven Koopalings as alts considering that they do widely vary in body shapes and sizes, not to mention hairstyles.

You'd have to account for someone like Iggy with his really tall bit of hair, or someone like Morton who is huge. To resize every Koopaling to be that exact size of Bowser Jr. in order to maintain the hitbox dimensions would be kind of weird, if not impossible in the case of characters with more prominent hairstyles (again, Iggy).

If it does turn out to be something that does happen, though, fine by me, SMB3 and SMW are two of my all-time favorites and it'd be awesome to see the Koopalings come out to play in some form or another. I just don't see them as alts for Bowser Jr. because of the size/shape differences.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I don't really like Junior, but if the Koopalings are available thanks to him, then I'm down with it. Playing as Wendy and Roy would be pretty cool. I sense some trouble with the hitboxes, but maybe Junior could be more elevated than Morton or Roy for example, so in the end it could work.

However if it's only Junior and no Koopaling...meh.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
So many Koopalings fans. They have nothing on Bowser Jr in my opinion. :awesome:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It has been quite a while since I checked up on this thread.

Anyway, I still would like to see Bowser Jr. utilize his magic paintbrush for combat, as that would reference his debut in Super Mario Sunshine. Like I've brought up before, the paintbrush could have an added effect of leaving behind damaging graffiti that disappears after a few seconds.

But to keep Bowser Jr. balanced, his attack power with the paintbrush wouldn't be all that impressive; Bowser Jr.'s combat style would focus a lot on using his graffiti mechanics to build up his opponent's damage. As a result, he'd typically have a hard time making quick KOs.

As for the Final Smash, Bowser Jr. would use his Koopa Clown Car, but it'll be equipped with a cannon that fires paint balls. The paint balls would leave behind damaging graffiti upon coming into contact with the ground, and can even deal decent damage to opponents. Bowser Jr. can even charge up the cannon to fire a larger paint ball, which can deal more damage, and leave behind more damaging graffiti.

Ryan.

Smash Lord

Anyway, I still would like to see Bowser Jr. utilize his magic paintbrush for combat, as that would reference his debut in Super Mario Sunshine. Like I've brought up before, the paintbrush could have an added effect of leaving behind damaging graffiti that disappears after a few seconds.

But to keep Bowser Jr. balanced, his attack power with the paintbrush wouldn't be all that impressive; Bowser Jr.'s combat style would focus a lot on using his graffiti mechanics to build up his opponent's damage. As a result, he'd typically have a hard time making quick KOs.

As for the Final Smash, Bowser Jr. would use his Koopa Clown Car, but it'll be equipped with a cannon that fires paint balls. The paint balls would leave behind damaging graffiti upon coming into contact with the ground, and can even deal decent damage to opponents. Bowser Jr. can even charge up the cannon to fire a larger paint ball, which can deal more damage, and leave behind more damaging graffiti.
Welcome back! This is how I would imagine him best. I think his paintbrush is just a staple for him, seeing as his first appearance was Super Mario Sunshine, and he had such a huge role. I would feel trapped being in the clown car the entire fight.

Also BluePikmin11 put together a supporter list here if you want to add that to the OP. Pretty sure a few others said they supported Bowser Jr. in these last few pages as well that haven't been added.

Reila

I prefer the idea of Jr. in the Koopa Clown Car than the idea of he fighting with the paintbrush. I know he used one in his first appearance, but since then, he is most of the time seen inside the Koopa Clown Car, which IMO is already a much bigger part of his character than the paintbrush. Plus, who doesn't like robots? A character piloting a mecha in Super Smash Bros. will would be amazing.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Haha no problem, although if you do decide to add one we'll be at 96 supporters, smashkirby is the only one missing from BluePikmin11's list. 4 more until 100. :D
You mean 3 more.
That's right.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I prefer the idea of Jr. in the Koopa Clown Car than the idea of he fighting with the paintbrush. I know he used one in his first appearance, but since then, he is most of the time seen inside the Koopa Clown Car, which IMO is already a much bigger part of his character than the paintbrush. Plus, who doesn't like robots? A character piloting a mecha in Super Smash Bros. will would be amazing.
Wouldn't using a robot be more Dr. Eggman's thing?

Also, Waluigi holds a tennis racket to reference his debut in Mario Tennis N64, so it would just seem fair if Bowser Jr.'s main weapon is the one that he used in his debut appearance.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I will celebrate his inclusion either way, but I just think the clown car would better as a final smash, and possibly even some of his specials, like his up special.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It's funny, it seems a lot of people either hate Junior and love the Koopalings or vice-versa.
When I was a kid I spent a lot of my time on this Mario fansite where the Koopalings, more specifically Lemmy, served as the mascots. Meanwhile, most of the Mario games I was playing around the same time had Bowser Jr. in them.
So I suppose I'm weird; I basically ended up growing up with both the Koopalings and Bowser Jr., so I love all eight of them.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
@ Ryan. Ryan. : I never did consider adding a support list.
It's on page 13 somewhere in the middle of the 40 posts. :p

To be honest I just want to see the Paint Brush nowhere in his moveset, I have already converted to the idea of the Koopa Clown Car as part of his whole moveset.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Haha no problem, although if you do decide to add one we'll be at 96 supporters, since smashkirby is the only one missing from BluePikmin11's list. 4 more until 100. :D

Edit: Make that 97 supporters with SmilingMad's post below mine. ;)
98 you mean

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm really liking the idea of Jr. more and more, ESPECIALLY if he gets Koopalings alts. Would be rad as hell.

Can't say no to a mech fighter. I always liked Jr. anyway.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
While Bowser Jr. is popular during the leak we could maybe get some more recolors and potential move-sets involving his Clown Car added to the OP as well.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It's funny, it seems a lot of people either hate Junior and love the Koopalings or vice-versa.
When I was a kid I spent a lot of my time on this Mario fansite where the Koopalings, more specifically Lemmy, served as the mascots. Meanwhile, most of the Mario games I was playing around the same time had Bowser Jr. in them.
So I suppose I'm weird; I basically ended up growing up with both the Koopalings and Bowser Jr., so I love all eight of them.
I grew up more with Bowser Jr then the Koopalings.

My childhood games were Sunshine and the Galaxies. Yeah, the Koopalings started appearing later again, but I was already so used to Bowser Jr that I barely cared for most of them.

Also, Bowser Jr's personality appeals to me more then the Koopalings' 1d ones. I like Wendy and Roy sure. I'd probably use them occasionally sure, but I'm still going to use Bowser Jr.

The Koopalings never entered in my mind until people started saying they liked them and how popular they were, so I was forced to remember there names. (Granted, I think I'm still a couple names wrong. I think Larry and Lemmy confuse me the most).

I'm excited for Bowser Jr. the most. Wendy is a bonus, but I don't care for the others. *Shrugs*

Top Bottom