• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kokiri Konqueror

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hmmm, Buzz says Link has a small advantage over Y Link. I have alot of trouble facing Y Link, Link isn't exactly the best character use when dealing with major spam :( . I mean, I know Link can out space and out prioritize Y Link's moves when he's close...but....spam combos...ftw?

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I agree, Y Link does have small advantage over Link for spam and mobility. He just runs circles around Link and combos him very effectively.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The matchups aren't 100% set in stone yet. That was just a quick run-through of the various matchups (as noted by the missing descriptions). I'm going to tweak a few as I finish them up.

As for Link vs Young Link... It's hard to say, really. I may change it to Young Link's favor (despite a possible onslaught of people yelling "YLink FANBOY!!!"), but it's hard to say really. Link's bigger N-air and finisher up-B are big factors. My final decision will be made shortly. >_<

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
a buzz the speed and span that Y.Link has is the main factor that tilts that toward Y.LInk instead of Link honestly

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I just barely returned from a very refreshing smashfest! I played so well (in my opinion)! Expect some new match vids soon. As for my guide, I've clarified some of my opinions on the character matchups. I will update those in the next couple days.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
A Buzz what fest did you go up to?
It wasn't a large gathering. I went over to Idaho Falls (30 minutes away) and played with some guys who really know what they're going. So, it was refreshing to play against good opponents and record some fresh matches.

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Umm sir "Buzz" we need to fight somehow i dont care how but we need to fight cause i dont know how good my Y.Link is becasus im the only one around my area so. But there is the mean Crews around my way that have mad ppl in it .

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Umm sir "Buzz" we need to fight somehow i dont care how but we need to fight cause i dont know how good my Y.Link is becasus im the only one around my area so. But there is the mean Crews around my way that have mad ppl in it .
Well, I'll be participating in USTX on November 25 if you feel like flying over. ^_^

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Nice guide in the works. I don't know how long this has been in the works but it is almost done. I like young link. Far better than bowser. And I thought he had a future XD

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Forgive my slow response time. I've been trying to finish this guide. It's so hard to find time these days. I promise it will be done soon. I've actually attended a couple smash sessions in order to revitalize my will to work at it. :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Good, what good is a Young Link guide if Brawl is almost about to come out XD?
Yes. Yes. I know I'm slow. I am working on it right this very moment. I will do my best to finish it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, there's going to be Wind Waker YL... hopefully he is similar :p

*yes, this is actually NJzFinest posting on smashboards again*

Chip.

you know what to do
<3 Buzz

You're almost done with the guide Yahuuuz.

EDIT: NJzFinest, how did you clarify that wind waker YL will be in Brawl?

Chip.

you know what to do
Excellent job so far Buzz.

Might I add a suggestion: I would actually have to say that Young Link doesn't do as great against Zelda as you mentioned. He may have a small advantage, if that. The only reason is because her fair and bair are a big OUCH on the small stages.

Another thing is something you might want to mention in the Link charachter matchup is to be wary of his nair-off-the edge edgegaurd. I can say with my experience that it's tough to try and maneuver away from it or hit him with your arial upB before he hits you (esp. hard since he FF like a rock :p) and it's also a bit annoying when I'm going to hookshot sweetspot but before I can even latch on his boots right in my face XD. Also, if my memory serves me right, if a Link CORRECTLY performs his SHFFL'd nair right and counter jabs after the SHFFL I don't think he can be shield-grabbed. I would say this is useful to keep in mind during the fight.

But remember these are just SUGGESTIONS.

Other than that, yeah, it's coming off nicely. I esp. like what you're doing in the Link section with the different approaches and strategies to take when exploiting his techniques in the match and punishing him, doing so.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Chip is right. Although in my experience, Zelda is actually a pretty big counter for Young Link. I dont really think he has many advantages over her, especially if the Zelda is really fast. She can kill him just as easily, if not easier than a Ganon would be able to kill him. Plus she lives pretty long against Young Link and her reflector can get pretty annoying(Esepcially when you don't want to get close to her.).

With Ice Climbers, you forgot to mention that you absolutely DON'T want to be grabbed. Ice Climber's can easily do an infinite grab on Young Link. So i'd say because of this, IMO Ice Climber's have more an advantage over Young Link than you might think. Sure projectiles work very well, but if they get even one grab on you its pretty much a loss stock right there.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I can't really argue with any of this because I've played no proficient Zelda players. As for Ice Climbers, I think I'm going to leave it as is. I've played several Ice Climbers, and I'd honestly rather be Young Link than anyone else against them (except for possibly Link). Of course Ice Climbers can **** with a single grab, but that's where Young Link stands out: his projectiles keep him at a safe distance, no? Just my thoughts... :)

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Why are people so sure WW link will be in brawl? It pisses me off

Laijin

Smash Hero
Well. All I really want Young Link is to have that grapple hook that he had in Wind Waker. His recovery would be so much better. But then again, from what we know of Brawl so far..the recoveries in that game seem so broken. There are alot more characters with 3 or more regular jumps than normal.

DrewbyDewby

Smash Apprentice
great guide, very in-depth and a sick format,
i don't know if u made up all this strafe, ensnare stuff but its really good,
thanks a lot.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, sorry I never finished this guide to perfection. My time has been taken by numerous other more important projects. On top of all that, I am back to being a full-time student, so even those "other" projects are slowed by my school.

Also, the time has come for me to lay down the sword. My crews have all moved, and I am lone technical smasher in the abyss of eastern Idaho. I have not improved in probably the past whole year. My only prayer at this point is that Brawl sports a superb online mode. Otherwise, my efforts are better aimed at my programming projects. I am making progress on the Video Smash Nexus, and that should help the community as a whole. Brawl is only 4 months away, and no one cares about Young Link anymore. The forum here is dead.

It was fun while it lasted, but my L-cancels are off, my wavedashes are slow, and I find myself just sitting in a corner and shielding a lot hoping for an opening. :(

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
No one cares about Young Link anymore?
Seems like me(as well as a few others) might have to try and change that.
Well, of course we care in one sense of the word. I'm just saying that the action is over.

I took 3rd in the low tier tournament today, though. That makes me feel a bit better. ^_^

mizusajt

Smash Rookie
Very Well Done.

Keep working on the Character Matchups, because right now, it's looking very good.

ShadeHuntr

Smash Rookie
can someone tell me (i know... noob) how to do the sliding b up trick plz
sry if this has already been asked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom