• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Matchup Thread

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
lol so much disrespect if you land PK Flash in that matchup

I can't think of any other situation where you would want that move.
Yeah thats basically it lol. Its not gonna work anywhere else.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
She can't use din's fire as much to cover a ton of approaches anymore so just abuse your faster speed and punish her. Also use lots of upair because it's strong and kills her kinda early. Also be careful when hitting stuff on shield cause bair\fair oos is scary. Also try to bait out her moves; the end lag on all of them are pretty long. Just be good with your spacing I guess

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Don't use Cutter Dash unless you want a Lightning Kick to the face. U-Air is really good against her because she has a blind spot below her.

Muplex

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have advice for the DK and Link Matchups? Those are the two characters I have the most trouble against.

SprayTanner

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have advice for the DK and Link Matchups? Those are the two characters I have the most trouble against.
DK is pretty interesting once you get used to it. He's at the size and weight where he's extremely susceptible to up tilt combos, his up b recovery is super easy to hit with a d air for a spike, and if you want to get in on him you could just go for some overhead cutter dashes or space out aerials into some free form combos.

With Link I've found that applying as much constant pressure as you can will work until the Link realizes he can up b you away, which sucks because then you either have to play his game and wait for him to mess something up and get something started when he leaves himself open, just play it slow and be patient. Or you can kind of challenge Link and use your cutter projectile on flatter stages (FD, Smashville) to your advantage and make Link come to you if you're dodging the metric f*ck ton of projectiles Link's throwing out well enough.

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
The guy who made this thread needs to update this or we need a new thread, so people don't need to search through the pages.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
You really effed up those spoilers...

Anyway, thoughts and tips on the ROB matchup? I feel like its one of those "hard as hell to get in but can do work once inside Kirby's range" matchups
First, thing about kirby/snake match is you have to understand you won't kill him easily and him getting to a high % will happen.
Second, against snake you have to take advantage of his poor recovery from off the stage. He will ALWAYS try to recover high, so i found that Bair works best to hit him out of UpB. If he is low enough to connect with a hammer then that, of course, is the best choice. Also don't try to Dair his UpB it doesn't work that well.
Third, you have to prevent snake from setting up, so you have to keep pressure of him. But, you have to be careful approaching on the ground because his sleeping dart + C4 attach + up throw + blow up C4 = death for kirby on most levels at like 50-60%, so approaching with aerials is good idea. Dash attack can work, but don't forget about using short hop cutter dash to approach and throwing in a normal UpB to help keep him guessing a little as well as destroying his mines isn't a terrible idea. Lastly, if he starts to shield you aerials just use a shorthop inhale. That will make him think about shielding your approach.
Last notes is your stone has heavy armor on it and is basically your only chance to prevent your certain death from a remote mine while you are high in the air, if they are a little slow you can use it to survive. Make sure you know where his mines are on the ground and remember he can also be killed by it, so hitting/throwing him into it if possible.

Can't help you to much with wario. The one time i played one i played one I lost and had a problem with his charge which knocks shielded kirby far enough away that it is a pretty safe move for wario. I basically could only tilt him after he used it.

Don't have much experience against Ness either, but against PK fire you have to SDI away when you get hit by it. Also, Ness is pretty gimpable. Bair will beat his UpB and if you get hit by his UpB bolt before it hits him it will disappear and he will fall to his death. P.S. don't try that on lucas.
Coney commented on the Wario v Kirby MU and he said that its pretty tilted in Wario's favor, and I can definetly see why. He outranges him a lot, and imo his bair just beats out so much of Kirby's aerial approaches (plus again, outranges pretty much everything except hammer). And Wario gets easy sideB kills against Kirby.

Last edited:

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Wario outmaneuvers Kirby pretty easily too.
Wario out maneuvers everyone...at least in the air. Also just random question but who are kirby's best matchups. I'd personally say falco is one of kirby's best matchups especially when kirby has a lead and falco is forced to approach.

Last edited:

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
Kirby vs yoshi is easy 1v1. I personally love the king dedede match up too. sonic is pretty easy for kirby. we just nair all of his approaches and rock his uairs. besides that idk.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I find I have an easy time with Ganondorf, Spaced F-airs and B-airs beat his most of his aerials and he's not too bad to combo. His recovery is also pretty easy to predict even with the float.
Falco Isn't a bad one either especially when you are ahead, forcing him under the stage tends to result in death if not it puts him into awkward situations.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
I personally feel kirby's worst matchups are ones that are floaties that are hard to combo like samus and luigi for example. I could see the samus matchup being really hard just because it would be so hard to gimp her and she would live forever. She also has more range on her aerials. However kirby can duck most of her stuff and after you use uptilt or upair she's in a really bad spot as being below samus is amazing.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Uptilt > inhale works on ffs. Also in 3.02 before the nerfs to cutter dash, you could mix up forward cutter (so you're just behind them) > nair on shield with forward cutter > inhale kinda like a tomahawk but not really lol. Haven't really tried it out but it's probably too laggy to do that on shield now

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
So I grazed through the thread and i didn't really see much about Bowser, Anyone have advice? I seem to be having problems against a few Bowsers here. I just get wrecked when I approach.

SprayTanner

Smash Rookie
So I grazed through the thread and i didn't really see much about Bowser, Anyone have advice? I seem to be having problems against a few Bowsers here. I just get wrecked when I approach.
Honestly this matchup sucks really hard. The best thing you can do in my opinion is find ways to tack on damage, even if it means being cheap and using cutter a lot, going for u tilt juggles into an inhale, or using the fire from the copy ability. Your best bet for getting solid damage is mixups, Kirby's good for mind games, play some, get in, jack the opponent up when it's safe, and if you cant finish what you started get out before you get hit with like a bair or something. Also edge guarding is really easy imo, if bowser uses his up b you can use your dair to spike him out of it and send him to a low enough area so there's no hope of recovering. Just respect the super armor as much as you can, it's super crappy to think something like, okay I can cutter dash in, catch him off guard, and start something only to have it ruined by some move's startup animation or something.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I always see people saying they use cutter dash as an approach option, and in my head im thinking how are you even hitting those? The startup is so slow its easily reactable. Its like Kirby's version of Falcon's side-b (and Falcon's side-b is a horrible approach option). It could catch them off guard, but it doesnt matter if its unsafe. I specifically use it only for recovery, and sometimes when they are in hitstun to combo into uair, and maybe some other times but only when I know its safe. Its far to risky to throw out there in neutral to approach.

----

On the other hand, guys just practice your movement, and not rely too much on dash attack or even cutter (lol) as your options for movement. It makes matchups easier if you can fluidly move around and control your character. Especially against characters like Bowser, you could do a multitude of options like dash dance grab or whatever his missed attack, wavedash back, approaching short hop wavedash back, etc. Just watch PPMD's Falco and get inspired by his movement, Kirby's and Falco's ground movement is extremely similar and PP prob has one of the best ground movement with Falco.

Last edited:

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Also on bowser, just make him approach and grab him. You also edge guard him really well. Down smash is really good at knocking him away if he's he's trying to recover. This matchup doens't really seem all that terrible tbh. You combo him really well. Just watch out for up b to ledge then get up attack when you're trying to recover.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Has Kirby vs. Lucario ever been discussed? Kinda confused on what to do. Edgeguarding him is a pain when he has Aura points, he can combo Kirby like anyone else, and he's got aura sphere at a distance

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Has Kirby vs. Lucario ever been discussed? Kinda confused on what to do. Edgeguarding him is a pain when he has Aura points, he can combo Kirby like anyone else, and he's got aura sphere at a distance
As for fighting lucario, make sure to always di the downthrow away. If you don't di it correctly he can easily kill you around 100 or so percent with nair. Also as for edguarding try spacing bair and not getting hit. You can't just go down and trade with nair like spacies. Also like most other matchups look for up tilts. You get tons of damage off of up tilts with combos. Lucario is actually a really bad combo weight,

B00nes

Smash Rookie
Anyway, thoughts and tips on the ROB matchup? I feel like its one of those "hard as hell to get in but can do work once inside Kirby's range" matchups
I think the ROB matchup is in kirby's favor, mainly because of how much Kirby destroys floaty heavyweights. He does require a bit of baiting and the trolltop can be annoying. Inhale doesn't work in this matchup, take his lasers and use it against him. It's really good against his recovery. Dair at the mere sight of him off stage. You DESTROY ROB offstage. 65-45 from my experience

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm just terrible at the matchup but R.O.B destroys me, He has really weird movement and his recovery isn't too bad. Then again I play the best R.O.B in Alberta so that might have something to do with it...
I feel like the lasers work to an extent but rob has more tools to beat us and he can combo us easier. and his N-airs are godly so long as he doesn't space them wrong, I feel like he can just camp us out hard with lasers and troll tops, and if we do manage to get in he has a decent arsenal to combat us with. I havent tried d-air with him off stage though so i'll have to try that next time..

Which stages do you recommend taking him to?

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
"A few bowsers here"
"Alberta"

oh, hi Ed :D

The problem is that you're approaching. But we've already been over that in person, so whatever ^^

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
"A few bowsers here"
"Alberta"

oh, hi Ed :D

The problem is that you're approaching. But we've already been over that in person, so whatever ^^
Just wanted other peoples thoughts, and this was a little before my intensive training began. I'm better now but still freeking hate playing against Bowser lol.

B00nes

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm just terrible at the matchup but R.O.B destroys me, He has really weird movement and his recovery isn't too bad. Then again I play the best R.O.B in Alberta so that might have something to do with it...
I feel like the lasers work to an extent but rob has more tools to beat us and he can combo us easier. and his N-airs are godly so long as he doesn't space them wrong, I feel like he can just camp us out hard with lasers and troll tops, and if we do manage to get in he has a decent arsenal to combat us with. I havent tried d-air with him off stage though so i'll have to try that next time..

Which stages do you recommend taking him to?
Small stages so rob doesn't have much room to make a wall. Warioware is my usual counter pick

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Bowser isn't horrible... you just have to remember his range/armor and get the most of your disjointed moves.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Bowser isn't horrible... you just have to remember his range/armor and get the most of your disjointed moves.
Disjointed moves? You mean side b and vertical cutter? LOL Kirby's fair is even slightly negative disjointed

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
B-Air and Hammer will work wonders. Same with the initial hit of N-Air. Inhale is also a worthy mixup, plus it gives you a Fire Breath which works better against him than you. :p

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Fire Breath is ok at best, he can crawl through it if hes grounded making you have to catch him totally off guard. Or if hes offstage you can tack on damage if hes at low %s, but if not you should be trying to gimp him instead of trolling with Fire. Or if youre trying to get back onstage, you can ledge jump Quickflame to get him away from you since he'll only try to SDI away and not in cuz then he'd be offstage, unless he reads that and crawls. True you can use it better against him than he can against you... but thats the same with like a lof of Copy Abilities, including Warlock Punch. Doesnt necessarily make it that good.

Not saying dont use it, do whatever you want. In fact, I love Kirbies who actually use copy, but they should know how to use them all too. Just dont think its the answer to the matchup or anything.

Last edited:

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
What's the Falco matchup like for Kirby? What can he do against Kirby and who's favor is it in?

Top Bottom