• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Matchup Thread

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
His worst MUs are easily G&W and Toon Link. Charizard and Meta Knight are pretty tough too.
I wouldn't say easily. G&W weight makes him easy to kill with fair links or bair links. For the last year I hear everyone have a worst mu for Kirby, so I'd wait for the opinion of Tetra, Yador, Gnosis, GRabbit, or someone else around that level. Problem is most pro Kirbies aren't too social. Besides Tetra's guide.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I wouldn't say easily. G&W weight makes him easy to kill with fair links or bair links. For the last year I hear everyone have a worst mu for Kirby, so I'd wait for the opinion of Tetra, Yador, Gnosis, GRabbit, or someone else around that level. Problem is most pro Kirbies aren't too social. Besides Tetra's guide.
Thing is, if any of the "pro" Kirbys were to have an input on his bad matchups, they would likely be basing it off of 1 or 2 guys in their region who are only kinda good/ arent playing the matchup right. Since I cannot call myself one of these "pros", I can base it only off of theory. In theory, anyone that has no problem keeping Kirby out (with range or projectiles) and/or has no problem killing is a bad matchup. The characters FreeGamer listed seem like they fit right in with the descriptions, though they are most likely not the only ones. It may not be "easily" a bad matchup but it is theoretically bad.

Though I never really consider what matchups are bad or not, I generally just try to figure out what it takes to win/what to watch out for/etc and see if I can just outplay them from there. I could be wrong, but none of Kirbys matchups seem that bad. This is just me (and kind of a sidenote), but everytime I lose a match i feel I lost because i need to get better not because of the matchup.

Last edited:

Vorlaith

Smash Rookie
I've had some issues vs a friend of mine who mains Kirby, he spams final cutter and the down b whenever he is in the air, is the best option just to wait it out then punish during the landing lag?

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
I've had some issues vs a friend of mine who mains Kirby, he spams final cutter and the down b whenever he is in the air, is the best option just to wait it out then punish during the landing lag?
Flying up and down b is the oldest Kirby technique in the book. Final cutter is slow and you can interrupt with projectiles or just shield and approach.

For downb just don't be under kirby way up in the air. Also strong attacks beat rock and the start up lag gives you enough time to hit him if hes close. Also rock in every game loses to grab.

Hope this helps.

Vorlaith

Smash Rookie
Flying up and down b is the oldest Kirby technique in the book. Final cutter is slow and you can interrupt with projectiles or just shield and approach.

For downb just don't be under kirby way up in the air. Also strong attacks beat rock and the start up lag gives you enough time to hit him if hes close. Also rock in every game loses to grab.

Hope this helps.
Helps a bunch, thank you. Most of the characters I play use projectiles a lot so I'll start trying that out

Tetraflora

Smash Rookie
imo yeah some of Kirby's worst MUs are T.Link and GnW. Link and Marth are really bad too. We can still win these though, just have to play better. I've played Bidoof who's one of the best GnW mains out there for a long time so I know that MU like for sure. Tink is totally an issue too all around though I have less experience in that MU.

In both MUs it's CRUCIAL we copy those abilities. It can make such a big difference. We can't duck any of their things really and they can keep us out, we can't really easily edgeguard GnW but we can abuse using stone against his up B. Against Tink we can edgeguard him decently when he's trying to AGT if you know how to read that.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, they give Kirby a projectile which makes it harder to camp him out. Also, TL's fire arrows can combo him into stuff and can also mess with bombs.

I think Zard:Kirby is pretty close to even. Zard has big hitboxes to box Kirby out and he can kill Kirby fairly early, but once Kirby's in, he kinda craps on Zard. He also edgeguards him pretty well. Also, if Kirby gets Zard's power, which isn't hard once he gets in considering Zard's huge frame, then the MU easily shifts completely to his favor. He can drift while flamethrowering in the air much better than Zard can, and the flamethrower almost always pokes Zard's shield. It's another edgeguarding tool as well, and Zard actually has a hard time recovering once you hit him once offstage. The biggest things to watch out for at neutral are RAR nair catching us offguard with the second hitbox (super easy to react to) and jab stuffing us out of our approaches. Once Kirby's in, between safe aerials, jab, utilt, and a command grab, Kirby kinda just poops on his shield.

Edit: Oh yeah, and every time Zard grabs Kirby, make sure you start holding down and behind Zard immediately. Bthrow is the only dangerous throw from Zard that we can't react to, and if you DI it properly, Zard gets no follow-ups on Kirby. Bad DI, however, will net us a fair which kills us super early.

Last edited:

Certix_

Smash Rookie
I only know a few matchups well from locals and friends so take it with a grain of salt.

Kirby:ZSS
I feel like this is 60:40 Kirby's favor
Ducking helps tremendously with a dash dance oriented neutral. Zero suit has a hard time combing and killing if you DI correctly.
Standard Kirby combos work and tether edge guarding is simple. Since ZSS down-b no longer refreshes, kirbys life was made much easier.

Kirby:Marth
50:50 with a + or - 10
This matchup is about winning neutral a bunch for both characters. Kirby is hard for marth to Ken combo, but easier to tipper fsmash for a kill. Kirby has to work around the sword with baiting and punishing, and we combo him decently well. There's more to the matchup, but our marth hasn't figured out the matchup much.

Kirby:Ganon
50:50 maybe 55:45 Kirby favor
The goal for Kirby in this matchup is to work around shffl fair Nair and float mixups. Also Kirby's speed makes it hard to avoid Ganons side-b. However, we combo and edge guard him very well and I feel like bettering my reactions to Ganons options could swing this one in our favor.

Other than these, I haven't played the matchups enough to give a credible opinion.

On a side note, I got double eliminated by an Icies main who was quite good recently. I feel like the matchup is bad but I don't know yet. Anyone have knowledge for this one?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you can catch them in between blizzard walls in shield, you can dair so that you land between them and uptilt or dtilt, it will catch all their oos options and dtilt wth split them, and if uptilt hits nair or bair will separate them. Killing nana is easy, just bair or air hammer because the recovery arch is very predictable. Kirby is hard for them to do the throw combos on, but kirby does die to smashes easy. Dash attack also should destroy them as long as you don't get predictable. I think kirby has a solid advantage, all you have to do is find a way in on their desynch walls and separate them, then nana is easy to kill and kirby/sopo is pretty free. Just watch out for wd smashes and up-b killing rediculously early. Kirby can also platform camp them pretty well if you don't feel comfortable, because dash attack off platform and shield drop nair/bair are so good

Certix_

Smash Rookie
I think my main problem was dealing with wavedash down smash and throwing out unsafe moves on shield. I often hit Nana and got punished by popo shielding. Another problem was stage choice, I underestimated the ice blocks annoying level and brought them to longer stages with less platform. Next time I'll definitely use these tips to my advantage.
How do you guys feel about the Kirby:Ness matchup? I play this one often and do well, but they haven't learned any DJC shenanigans and play fire w/bait and grab. I feel like the name of the game is to get them offstage, take their double jump, then beat their up-b attempts down until death. Also ness' edge guard on Kirby is lackluster due to jump stalling.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Your aerials beat his, he's practically dead if you get him offstage, and you should never want to be below him. Also, if you hold up and in front of him when he does his D-Throw, the most he can do is maybe land a F-Air on you. 55:45 or 60:40 IMO.

Last edited:

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! I'm picking up Kirby as a secondary since I've been struggling with a few matchups as Ike. How is the matchup with Kirby vs Sheik? What about the spacies? Thanks in advance

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! I'm picking up Kirby as a secondary since I've been struggling with a few matchups as Ike. How is the matchup with Kirby vs Sheik? What about the spacies? Thanks in advance
kirby molests sheik and falco but gets bill cosby'd back from fox

The Brazilian Afro

Smash Cadet
IMO, Kirby x Fox is even, but you have to play a REALLY lame game in order to do so. Basically, they both have hard punishes on the other, but Kirby has no great setups to kill Fox guaranteed, while Fox has U-throw -> U-air. Kirby Has to play near the edge in order to gimp Fox early and Fox need to not get near the edge in order to not get gimped...

Falco has worse punishes, Laser camping is worse (though it is more annoying), while being gimped more easily than any other character...

Wolf is basically a ball of being combo'ed by Kirby, while not having many kill confirms. Gimping him is really easy if you know the angle of the Side-B and inhale drop (like, inhaling and then letting him free himself) near the edge puts him in a very ba position due to his fall speed

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
IMO, Kirby x Fox is even, but you have to play a REALLY lame game in order to do so. Basically, they both have hard punishes on the other, but Kirby has no great setups to kill Fox guaranteed, while Fox has U-throw -> U-air. Kirby Has to play near the edge in order to gimp Fox early and Fox need to not get near the edge in order to not get gimped...

Falco has worse punishes, Laser camping is worse (though it is more annoying), while being gimped more easily than any other character...

Wolf is basically a ball of being combo'ed by Kirby, while not having many kill confirms. Gimping him is really easy if you know the angle of the Side-B and inhale drop (like, inhaling and then letting him free himself) near the edge puts him in a very ba position due to his fall speed
kirby is ****

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
So yes, all matchups more or less rely on the opponent being bad and falling for your gimmicks. :psycho:

Last edited:

DS27

Smash Rookie
Just use D-Throw and immediately F-smash around 80%, Fox Can't Tech in place or tech-roll in front of you because the F-smash is gonna hit no matter what, the only "safe" option that Fox had is Tech-Roll behind you.

Last edited:

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
So I tried using my Meta Knight against this guys peach and couldn't clutch it out. How does Kirby do in this MU? I have a about year of practice with the guy and wonder if his MU is the same as 3.0.

The Brazilian Afro

Smash Cadet
Basically, if you challenge her float, it's quite easy to play against Peach. Kirby can get early kills with U-air and Rock is actually useful to stage spike her. You can also abuse that she has few kill confirms on Kirby (D-throw -> U-air with wrong DI). The problem is that Peach is great at keeping Kirby out of the stage, even with his multiple jumps, his Up-B sucks in comparison to Peach's aerials.
Peach also suffers a bit from Kirby's tech chase, also diyng early to Hammer and F-smash

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
A good Ivysaur will stop you from inhaling him with her spacing and camp you out. Approaching defensive Ivysaur as Kirby is where the match up can shift in Ivysaur's favor.

Top Bottom