• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King is Back! King Dedede that is!

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I never liked king dedede. So many people wanted him, but i really didn't want him in brawl. Looking forward to seeing what his moveset is, but i still dont like him.

I'm glad all the people who wanted him got their wish come true.
Wow. You win the Kindest Poster award. :D

As for Dedede, uber woot. :) I was kind of worried that Sakurai would be too modest to add him, but I need not worry any more! He's in, and looking great.

And the first Kirby hat. Can't complain about that. :chuckle:

Django_EXE

Smash Apprentice
Take route 666 west, then drive 13 miles past meph
This is off topic, but I noticed while browsing over the Japanese site (I have a translator software on my computer, not that stupid Google one) That デ means De, however デデデ means demagogue (for those who don't know it means "a leader that obtains power by appealing to people's emotions, and prejudices." This just shows what was going through Hal Lab.'s mind (not sure who makes the names in the corp., so I'm playing it safe by just mentioning the company, rather than making a guess) when they named DeDeDe.

Edit: I used a Software, but here's a free translator site

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Awesome! King Dedede is in Brawl!,I can't wait for Geno,Ridley,Megaman,K.Rool,and RayMKIII to appear

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
King Dedede is gonna be an awesome character!! Here's my idea for his moveset:
B-Hammer Star; an overhead swing at the ground that releases a star blast which moves across the ground.
->B-Star Shot; Inhales for a moment and then fires a star. If he sucks something up, the star gets bigger.
^B-Inflate; Inflate should allow him to transform into a baloon and float briefly. If the characters don't attack him but still touch him, they take damage.
Down B-Anger Wave; Triple D gets mad and stomps up and down creating a damaging forcefield around him. Long ranged attacks could still get through.

I also think Kirby needs a new moveset.
B-Swallow; This is exactly the same.
->B-Sword/Ninja; Sword allows Kirby to swing a sword multiple times. It has less power but more speed then hammer. Ninja lets him throw a ninja star.
^B-Final Cutter/Hi-Jump/Hammer/Jet; Final Cutter is the same. Hi-Jump is a many directional attack like Fox's ^B. Hammer is an uppercut like MK's Shuttle Loop. Jet allows limited unlimited mid-air movement.
Down B- Stone/Mike; Stone is the same. Mike should stun enemies for an amount of time depending on how long you charge it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I had no worry about DeDeDe. So congratulations DeDeDe fans, Itr was going to come to you sooner or later. I had no doubt De De De would make it in.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Yeah, DeDeDe!! One of the most awsome villians ever. Although, I wonder what his voice will be...?

PLEASE GOD NOT THE ENGLISH VERSION OF "KIRBY RIGHT BACK AT YA" VOICE PLAESE!!!!

It was god awful and the Japanese voice was better.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice

OH NO! I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT!! Please no deep southern voice for Dedede. Please no. This would ruin everything.

......Now I'm scared that they're actually going to give him that voice. Please. No. Aah.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
whoa this can't be right. I could've almost sworn the King was unlockable. I don't understand why would the kirby series start out with all 3 of it's characters? We still haven't even gotten Falcon yet...

Now i don't know what is going on (unlockable or not). Nice job Sakurai, you got me.
They're obviously showing unlockables now.

At least thats what i think.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, they clearly didn't give Metaknight his "Antonio Banderas" voice from the cartoon, so I doubt they'll bother to get the cartoon's voice for Dedede. I always thought it made him sound like Foghorn Leghorn. It wasn't that bad, I guess, but I always thought Dedede was a kid. Was Dedede's Japanese voice a gruff, surly voice?

Suicide-4-life

Smash Rookie
Ook....ok...ok...

I realize now i was wrong. Yeesh you guys beat the crap out of the guy who gets the slightest fact wrong...But i still think the ney ideas will be cool.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL!! funny Comic.BY THE WAY WHO THE HELL IS RAIDEN!?!

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice

May I ask what makes this voice so bad?

I'm asking this because I never watched the show before and I was wondering why everyone's regarding it with such hostile attitiudes.

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I'm back

Yes!!!! King DeDeDe is here!!!

I am quite happy with this, as you may have expected.
He looks cool and wait is that....... A......... Kirby Hat!!!!!
Finally!!!! I hope evey new character from now on comes with one!!!!!!!

Rejoice the openings for characters are back!!!!!!

This update was simply awsome!!!!!!

So he is in the heavywieght class??
Good! he is fat......

chickdigger802

Smash Rookie
can't be that big of a surprise, especially that they made the kirby games -.-

I'm surprised at how much stuff they took from kirby and put in smash (adventure mode co-op teleporting, doors etc). Hopefully dedede isn't the last guy in this game =)

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Youtube it.

I've watched the show, and it didn't seem so bad... but I never really played many of the Kirby games for some reason (I blame my friend - he's a huge Kirby fan so he should've forced them on me by now) so that might be why.

I have nothing against Triple D and am glad he's in, but his inclusion excites me more from what it means for other characters than just the fact that he's in.

There's no denying that although popular, the Kirby series hasn't really reached the super-stardom of the Metroid, Mario, or Zelda franchises. If it has three reps (which I find reasonable - they're all interesting characters) than chances are good for certain other characters.

Metroid is the best example. Currently, Samus/Zero Suit Samus are the same character slot (like Zelda/Sheik) so that's like 1.5 reps (or two, I don't care how you count it). Metroid is a more popular series, so there's VERY good chances of Ridley and Dark Samus. Possible Mother Brain as a boss, as well.

Mario obviously has a bazillion reps. Zelda has 4.5 in Melee (Ganondorf, Link, Young Link, and Zelda/Sheik). Midna (don't care if she's in or not, personally) thus has semi-decent chances - especially if Young Link is dropped. I can see a Ganon transformation being Ganondorf's Final Smash (either same moves but stronger, GigaBowser style; or simplified powerful moves, Fox Landmaster style).

And you can apply it to other, popular series as well.

Also... on the "mechanized hammer" comment... maybe his hammer is one of those extendo-spring-loaded hammers? *shrug* I dunno. Definately looks like he'll be interesting to play, which is all that truly matters in my book.

Edit: Also, Sakurai is obviously mind-gaming those that love Falcon, and won't announce him until about a week before the Japanese release. Just because he likes watching you guys squirm.

studgangsta

Smash Cadet
Dude i am so tired of cartoonie characters. Am i the only one who thinks that most of the characters except for snake, link, ike and bowser are truly bad ass? i mean where captain falcon? i feel like the game is being geared to kindergardeners by the looks of it. what do u guys think?

blerb

Smash Journeyman
Dude i am so tired of cartoonie characters. Am i the only one who thinks that most of the characters except for snake, link, ike and bowser are truly bad ass? i mean where captain falcon? i feel like the game is being geared to kindergardeners by the looks of it. what do u guys think?

nope, not at all.

I did think that his textures were very low detail compared to others though. but not cartoonish.

if you want non cartoonish games go play mortal kombat.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Now all we need is Ganon, Ridley, and Mewtwo (but mostly Ganon).

Have you ever played Smash bros. before? Like, ever?

mario66

Smash Cadet
I had a feeling he'd be in, glad to see I was right.

I don't understand how no-one can't like him.
I mean, come on, HE'S A PENGUIN WITH A HAMMER!

spikehappy07

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo, CA. Its a small city whom many people ove
It's nintendo. Come on man, can you blame them? They're all about fun, creative characters and names.

Why do you think they changed the consle's name from the "revolution" to the "Wii"?

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede will probably round out the already crazy cast that has been added. That's about five heavyweights that are currently in the game. G-dorf, Dk, Bowser, Wario, and now we have King Dedede. I imagine there may be two or three more heavy weights added before they finish development and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. So, yeah....Anyways. I'm psyched about it. I've always been annoyed by a certain friend of mine that likes to float around as kirby and land only to suck up powers during a 4p melee, so what better way to whup his butt then with a character that always has hated Kirby? Honestly, the more character selection the better. The more characters that get revealed makes me realize that perhaps I'm getting tired of the same 26(?) character roster of melee and now need a new roster of possibly 40+ characters to learn and master and mess around with. So, from H-town to Dedede, Welcome!!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
If your so sick of it, then don't play Smash. I personally think King Dedede is very badass. If the game seems to "kiddy" for you; then don't play it.

-Knight

Shadow_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
His voice in the english anime was utterly terrible, thats why I watch it in japanese only.

studgangsta: You are crazy do you know anything? Cartoonish caharacters? Why are you saying that Ike and Snake are not badass, so to speak. They are completely awsome, and if you do not like DeDeDe's graphics, why are you calling him badass? I cannot believe you even thought anyone would agree with you. If you believe it's geared towards kinegardeners, why are you on it's forums?? If you like Captain Falcon, wait, its not like he would get taken out.

kirby Knight: from what his poor grammer says I can make out that he is calling DeDeDe badass.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
God, he looks so badass. I don't even if he's good, he just LOOKS cool, in that goofy sort of way.

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
lol first post

Lurked for years, but joined just to manifest my OH GOD HECK YEAH KING DEDEDE IS IN FINALLY feelings with you all and stuff. Since Brawl will be mainly a restart at everything we know about Smash, I thinking of changing from light characters (I main Jiggly) and try out the heavy stuff like Dedede and Ike. Here's hoping for the penguin to be high tier.

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai wouldn't ruin it by announcing the secret characters before the game's release, he's a lot smarter than you think... All these are playable characters, secret being announced after the game's release. The Japan game release can spoil it for us, very bad though.

Top Bottom