• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King is Back! King Dedede that is!

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Want to hear some speculation?
Kirby's wearing Dedede's hat in that pic, and it says that Dedede uses his hammer alot. My guess, is that they are refining Kirby's moves (perhaps taking out the hammer and replacing it with something better), because Dedede will use a hammer and it might be stale to have both characters utilize the same weapon. That also might be why Kirby wasn't playable at the demos.
I know this post is quite old in the thread (Page 2) but this could just be a result of Kirby just sucking him in, and KD has a stronger hammer for Kirby's use, or KD's Side smashes could just be the hammer, that way what could KD's Neutral B attack be for Kirby to utilise?

jamesss

Smash Apprentice
From this update i'm thinking kirbys's moveset will definetly change...i'm thinking he might not have his hammer thsi time round....something will replace that. Why else was he not shown at the demo or why has his moveset not been revealed?

Now i look dumb with that post above me...

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's side-B is definitely still his hammer. You can see him doing it in one of the Subspace Emissary videos that came out of E for All. He does it against Petey in midair (it has a different attack pattern, spinning horizontally with more impact instead of the rapid vertical twirl, but it's still there).

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede has more abilities than just his hammer anyhow. :/

-Massive leap that drops stars
-Suplex and Tackle-like moves
-Inhale and star-spit
-Float
-Various hammer attacks

He'll probably play like a heavy, really weird Kirby with a permanent hammer.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
YAAY King Dedede is my most wanted confirmed Newcomer =) Glad to see he's here, but I would've bet money he would be a super secret unlockable. He still may be, I guess.

EDIT: Maybe Goey is an unlockable for the Kirby franchise?
I doubt it. I'm betting that King Dedede is unlockable, and the last rep of the Kirby series.

amost

Smash Apprentice
Neat idea! We could use some more heavyweights. There were only really 2 (I guess 3) out of 26 in Melee.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I would pipe in here and say that Dedede is pronounced extremely similar to "daydayday" (as in, the Japanese syllable で), not "dee-dee-dee". Please make a note of it!
[language police]
actually the 'e' represents a sound like the 'e' in the english word 'GET'. not a long A sound like in 'DAY'. when you say 'GET' you don't say 'GAYT', do you? :p
[/language police]

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
The pic with the entire kirby gang makes me soooo happy.

They're like the badass Italian mafia of brawl. Only much fuzzier. =]

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
wait... what if instead of his upB being filling up with air and floating, it was his... glide!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
King Dedede can float? Good, now maybe Peach will have someone to look out for.

And what do you think D3's nB will be? Inhale? Of course he wouldn't be able to copy abilities like Kirby, and it would also be weird for Kirby to take the ability to inhale over his ability to... inhale, but maybe if it gives you the option to shoot opponents out far like heavy projectiles, I could see it.

What if his inhale was his grab? And his throws were spitting them out? This is such a weird character... I just don't know what he could have.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede has more abilities than just his hammer anyhow. :/

-Massive leap that drops stars
-Suplex and Tackle-like moves
-Inhale and star-spit
-Float
-Various hammer attacks

He'll probably play like a heavy, really weird Kirby with a permanent hammer.
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Like bowser with kirby's special moves and multiple jumps. XD

It'd be awesome if he has the inhale and it's aimable. Suck someone up, walk to the edge of the stage, aim down, and spit spike them into oblivion. =]

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now i am pretty sure that Sakurai has revealed some characters that will be unlockable. If i have to guess his moveset, his abilities and weapons (from the Kirby games) include:

- A giant Mallet
- The ability to inhale, stronger than Kirby's (no copy ability though)
- The ability to inflate himself (just like a balloon), and bounce -he cannot fly with this.
- The mallet's head seems to come off and explode (Kirby's Dreamland 2)
- He can do a Super Jump and Drop with great force (a la Bowser and Yoshi)
- He can become super-angry (Kirby's Dreamland 2), venting vapor and powering up his abilities.

Final Smash that i'd like: DDD is possessed by DarkMatter (Kirby's Dreamland 2 and 3, Kirby and the Crystal Shards) allowing him to float in the air, and shoot orbs of Dark Energy. He also has a maw where his belt normally is.

Youtube Video depicting various battles against Dedede in the original Kirby games. Also, you can listen to DDD's totally awesome music.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
Can't believe it. Kirby team and sollid snake, all my favorite characters! I love this game already. The only thing that will give me a heart attack is if they announce bomberman, megaman and the return of cfalcon.

king de3 sounds like pwnage, might be the the heavyweight character I play the most. wth would be his fs??

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
hmmm, interesting. Its good to see some more heavyweights, but now...
HAMMA TIME! *doo doodo doo do dooo do doo*
CANT TOUCH THIS. lol.
sort of a cute little penguin bowser. waay too cute to be evil.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda indifferent about this. He's an alright character, I'd just rather see another Metroid character or a new franchise character.

I can understand though, since this is HIS last Smash he'd include his favorite characters.

Also, Link's Uncle would be the greatest PC ever.

burrito

Smash Lord
I still stick by my theory that all the characters revealed so far are starters. In fact in that commonly misquoted translation where Sakurai says that he wants to reveal all the unlockables on his website, he also says "like Smash Fist". Smash Fist was the Japanese blog for Melee and no characters were revealed on that site until after it was released in Japan. So, I assume it will be the same on the Dojo. Plus, at the rate they're revealing characters, it seems pretty obvious they are holding off revealing some characters until after the game is out.

I know it's weird, but would it really be that if the Kirby series had three starters? The Kirby franchise is popular enough and the Mario franchise gets three starters. Who knows, maybe there will be another kirby character?

Well, I guess they'll be removing Kirby then.

You know that when Lucas was announced they said "Will he surpass Ness?"... Everyone was so sure he was gone.

It says in black and white that Dedede is going to defeat Kirby... too bad!
Defeat=/= surpass, to defeat someone you actually have to initiate battle with them, to surpass someone, you just need to become better then them. So, that really doesn't mean anything.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Now i am pretty sure that Sakurai has revealed some characters that will be unlockable. If i have to guess his moveset, his abilities and weapons (from the Kirby games) include:

- A giant Mallet
- The ability to inhale, stronger than Kirby's (no copy ability though)
- The ability to inflate himself (just like a balloon), and bounce -he cannot fly with this.
- The mallet's head seems to come off and explode (Kirby's Dreamland 2)
- He can do a Super Jump and Drop with great force (a la Bowser and Yoshi)
- He can become super-angry (Kirby's Dreamland 2), venting vapor and powering up his abilities.

Final Smash that i'd like: DDD is possessed by DarkMatter (Kirby's Dreamland 2 and 3, Kirby and the Crystal Shards) allowing him to float in the air, and shoot orbs of Dark Energy. He also has a may where his belt normally is.

Youtube Video depicting various battles against Dedede in the original Kirby games. Also, you can listen to DDD's totally awesome music.
Well his FS, IMO, is a toss up between getting really pissed to power up all of his abilities/traits, and being possessed. (Possessed De3 is pretty damm creepy.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my De3 moveset. Take note that I'm not that familiar with his abilities:
uB- Inflate (gives him 3 or 5 extra jumps [isn't this how Pit's uB works?])
dB- Butt Bomb (jumps and lands like Bowser, except higher; stars pop out like Yoshi, except bigger)
nB- Hammer Slam (with big star)
fB- Stong Inhale (pulls De3 forward while held)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Well his FS, IMO, is a toss up between getting really pissed to power up all of his abilities/traits, and being possessed. (Possessed De3 is pretty damm creepy.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my De3 moveset. Take note that I'm not that familiar with his abilities:
uB- Inflate (gives him 3 or 5 extra jumps [isn't this how Pit's uB works?])
dB- Butt Bomb (jumps and lands like Bowser, except higher; stars pop out like Yoshi, except bigger)
nB- Hammer Slam (with big star)
fB- Stong Inhale (pulls De3 forward while held)
*gasps* Like when he was Poessessed by Dark Matter!!!! =D

nice move set...
off topic: but i dont think Pit's uB gave him extra jumps.....

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
nice move set...
off topic: but i dont think Pit's uB gave him extra jumps.....
Thank you.
But what does Pit's uB do? I didn't mean that it LITERALLY gives him extra jumps, I mean like: jumps to recover, {commands uB} he inflates and is boosted up, then he falls, {press B} then up, then down, {press B}then up... and then he's spent.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I think Dedede shouldn't be possed he should do it on his own. Him getting made is good or him on a Wheelie from Kirby's Air ride. No possing though... >.>

That's going to be the best enterance in the game IMO.

montana-maroc

Smash Rookie
what a waste

couldn't Sakurai have added a more agile character than that fat monster ???.....

the world does not need a second bowser.....come on i'm serious

'm so ****in tired of those characters you really expect.......i need sumthin overwhelming....like.....let me see.....hmmm.....yeah :

Stanley from Donkey Kong 3 for example

or Takamaru....but what do we get?? donal duck's fat cousin from russia....sad

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
couldn't Sakurai have added a more agile character than that fat monster ???.....

'm so ****in tired of those characters you really expect.......i need sumthin overwhelming....like.....let me see.....hmmm.....yeah :

Are you serious?

If there's something that smash needs it's Heavyweight characters.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

You suck. We NEED more heavyweights, IMO.

And... we NEEDED DeDeDe, so STFU.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Originally Posted by montana-maroc

I only agree with one thing in your post and that is that Takamaru should be in....

everything else is ********....I want a balanced amount of heavy, mid, and lightweights...a game with like....3 heavyweights....4 midweights and like 30,000 lightweights will till the end of time suck eternal bawlz.....cuz it isnt balanced...

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
I hope fountain of dreams returns.

I can imagine the epic Kirby V Dedede battles you could have there.

Also his arena or castle would work, but we already have his castle

Maybe the arena would be cool. Imagine the crowd chucking items at people or something.

SD3

Smash Rookie
Woo-hoo! King Dedede was probably the character I wanted most in Brawl. He's probably an unlockable character.
As for a moveset...
Up B = Inflate and rise up into the air, then gradually begin to fall back down. If he lands on someone, he can bounce of and do damage, maybe.
Side B = Rush forward, jump into the air and bring down his hammer, causing stars to come out where it hits.
Down B = Much like Yoshi or Bowser's down B, but maybe straight up or you can control where it goes?
Standard B = Inhales, and if he catches somebody he can do a throw-like move, choosing where to spit them out.

As for A moves, his dash attack would easily be the slide thing he does in the games, and I can see him borrowing other moves from the Hammer copy ability.

Since Dedede is a heavy character who floats in the games he appears in, it will be very interesting to see how he turns out.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
All we need is Ridley, Ganondorf, and King K. Rool to finish the "Heavyweight Villain" Tradition! xD

DeDeDe can be explained in no other words but 'epic'.

-Link-

Top Bottom