• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King is Back! King Dedede that is!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
well... this is what happens when the director of the game is also the director of the Kirby series. Give me K.Rool and Ridley and I'll stop whining.
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
I'm sure glad that Sakurai isn't playing favorites with the character selections, and is avoiding his bias with characters of his own creation...

...Oh wait, that's EXACTLY what he's doing...

You fail me yet again Sakurai.
Might I remind you two that Sakurai also directed SSB64 and SSBM? Recall that the Kirby franchise was represented only by the eponymous little puffball himself; neither Meta Knight nor Dedede were playable in either game, despite both being highly requested. It is also worth noting that, while quite strong in SSB64, Kirby was severely nerfed by Sakurai in the transition to SSBM. It took THREE installments in the Smash series for MK and D3 to make the playable roster for once. Just quit whining.

(And as if you really should be complaining in the first place: Ridley is practically a shoo-in, and K. Rool is just ugly and unnecessary.)

Great, now we got the main Kirby characters in. And since he's a heavyweight, I think I may use him.

But I wonder if he's hidden or not.
Methinks he'll be hidden. Three Kirby characters on the default roster might seem like overkill, especially given the fact that there probably won't be any other Kirby characters on the playable roster.

Wow. Let me just say I really didn't see that coming.

Now, I have a few questions:
1) Does anyone else think he looks especially cartoony in all of his shots?
2) What happens when he picks up a (golden)/hammer? What will he do with his other one?
3) Final Smash... GIANT Hammer? Waddle Dee Army?
4) Where the hell is Captain Falcon!?
1) Actually, I agree (shock!). I mean, it's a highly detailed cartoony, but cartoony nonetheless.
2) Maybe he'll just put it away, like Ness and his bat, Peach and her parasol, etc.? Or perhaps it will just change color to match the item that he picks up.
3) Star Rod? Dark Matter?
4) In ur house, Falcon Humping ur m0mz. :chuckle: (Really, though, where IS that sonovagun? No one has asked me to show him my moves for far too long. :( )

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm sure glad that Sakurai isn't playing favorites with the character selections, and is avoiding his bias with characters of his own creation...

Dude, he only added two more Kirby characters... after he didn't add ANY in Melee. And he made the darn Kirby series! He should have added every character from it to Smash!

We'll see more for other series as the time comes.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Woooowww!! He looks so cute!! :) "no homo"

I thought he'd look like that ugly **** from the Fox 5 series.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Geno got just as many votes on the poll as Diddy and Ike. He got one less vote than DeDeDe. He was listed as 1st-party. What makes Geno so different from all the other popular characters on Sakurai's poll?
Eh... at least an AT. I really don't care one way or another.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I have, god that game was so cool. Anyways the way to me where Brawl is heading, it seems that each playable character will be have a rival character. So assuming that Falcon is still in his rival will be Black Shadow or Deathborn, Ike's will be that Dark Knight dude, and Link and Zelda will Ganondorf. (i found evil character/rivals in wikipedia)
Perhaps, as long as an antagonist-like character is important. King Dedede was one a recurring and important antagonistic like character. There is no point in adding a villian just to add one if over all they're not important to their franchise.

:/ Please tell me your joking. The Kirby series deserved to have 3 reps. I could actually see Sakurai wanting to reveal King Dedede personally, seeing that he is his creation, and not waiting to have him revealed via "someone who gets the game and cracks open the character list in 5 seconds"

In fact I think Sakurai will show all the characters who will be playable, it would almost be absurd to think that the Kirby series is going to have 3 starters. When did Sakurai say that he would only reveal starters on the site? IIRC I don't have the source by I do remember that Sakurai said that he'd rather reveal all the characters himself, because with the internet they will all be spoiled anyway.

-Knight

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

so...Him putting in the most popular character on the poll is bias because it just happened to be his own creation...?

Hell, Dedede was the most popular character to get in on this site even

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I apologize blayde, I'm just irritated because I've been very denied in the character department of Brawl. The Ike fiasco still has my blood boiling.
Still seems that Sakurai is just conforming to that foolish poll from forever ago.
Well, yeah, he is going by the poll... but he can't go by it too much. If he did, we'd be playing as Link's Uncle in four months.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Well, yeah, he is going by the poll... but he can't go by it too much. If he did, we'd be playing as Link's Uncle in four months.
We've got RED the trainer, I wouldn't put anything past Sakurai at this point, both in the positive and negative perspectives.

And maxpower, I don't know how to 'cry moar', is that some kind of dance?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Amazing! And also completely unexpected. The Kirby trio is finally complete.

Also I'm starting to think that Sakurai is revealing unlockables with the vets now like he said he would do.

Edit: Forgot to mention it's gonna be really cool to have a heavyweight that floats.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Amazing! And also completely unexpected. The Kirby trio is finally complete.

Also I'm starting to think that Sakurai is revealing unlockables with the vets now like he said he would do.
what u mean that the vetereans that were u unlocked in the past games will still have to be unlocked in Brawl (ie. Luigi, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch) ???

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Neat idea! We could use some more heavyweights. There were only really 2 (I guess 3) out of 26 in Melee.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I would pipe in here and say that Dedede is pronounced extremely similar to "daydayday" (as in, the Japanese syllable で), not "dee-dee-dee". Please make a note of it!

Ospov

Smash Rookie
Not much of a surprise here, but it's still nice to have him in Brawl. It makes me think other villians from some games might come rushing in as well. Perhaps King K. Rool and some others. I don't expect Ridley to though because he'll probably end up being a boss in the Subspace Emissary kinda like how Petey Pirahna is. That and in every Metroid game he's about 5 times as big as Samus and they would have to shrink him down quite a bit to make him be a playable character which wouldn't really be staying true to the series. Oh well, hope they keep bringing new characters out!

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
In Kirby's Avalanche/Kirby's Ghost trap, the announcer pronounces his name as "King Daydayday"

Anyway, OH MY GOD YEEEEEEESSS! YES! THE KIRBY TRIO IS IN TEH BRAWL!!
Seriously, I'm extatic, even more than when Sonic was revealed.
I mean, come on, it's a Penguin! With a massive hammer!
The Kirby series finally gets the glorious recognition that it deserves in Smash!

I just got myself three mains...

Hopefully Moveset and/or FS for tomorrow.
Or at LEAST a Kirby stage or Kirby music update.

Kirby trio FTW!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Neat idea! We could use some more heavyweights. There were only really 2 (I guess 3) out of 26 in Melee.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I would pipe in here and say that Dedede is pronounced extremely similar to "daydayday" (as in, the Japanese syllable で), not "dee-dee-dee". Please make a note of it!
Actually officially Dedede is pronounced Dee Dee Dee in America
and Day Day Day in Japan

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't holding out for him, but he is a perfect fit for the game... so I say AWESOME! I'm going to own with him! (someone always has to say that right?)

Max780

Smash Apprentice
whoa this can't be right. I could've almost sworn the King was unlockable. I don't understand why would the kirby series start out with all 3 of it's characters? We still haven't even gotten Falcon yet...

Now i don't know what is going on (unlockable or not). Nice job Sakurai, you got me.
Because Sakurai made Brawl and Kirby so he deserves to put he's work in.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
King dedede is a great addition (plus I like penguins so that helps :p)

Now if only Midna was revealed......

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
I'd totally main Link's Uncle if for nothing else but obscurity reasons.

I never really gave Dedede that much support mostly because I didn't feel he needed and here he is, he definitely deserves this.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Because Sakurai made Brawl and Kirby so he deserves to put he's work in.
Or Sakurai is revealing unlockables. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that. People say "Well, I don't want all the characters to be revealed on the Dojo", honestly first of all people like that should:

1.Realize that the SmashDojo is revealing spoilers; don't want to be spoiled do go to the dojo or any other SSBB related site.
2. Someone please tell me why Sakurai cannot reveal unlockables? I haven't seen any good reasoning besides people whining because they don't have enough self control to stay of the smash dojo if they are revealing them.

-Knight

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hooray! Finally, a newcomer I can get behind! I've been kind of disappointed with the last few we've gotten. I'm still shocked that he showed all three Kirby representatives before even mentioning the second Star Fox character. Star Fox is way behind in updates, and Metroid isn't coming along so fast either. I was positive that Krystal was on deck for confirmation...Anyway, I don't think there can be any doubt now that Sakurai is showing unlockables on the site. In Melee, for every franchise with multiple characters, at least one was secret. I don't see any reason why he'd make the entire Kirby lineup available from the start.

I hope we get his specials tomorrow. I'm really interested in how Sakurai is going to have him fight...

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
2. Someone please tell me why Sakurai cannot reveal unlockables? I haven't seen any good reasoning besides people whining because they don't have enough self control to stay of the smash dojo if they are revealing them.
-Knight
There's no reason for not showing unlockables characters. Maybe, he's waiting to the end... or maybe you have to unlock DeDeDe? who knows.

Also, Sakurai did pay attention to the poll, uh? DeDeDe looks as powerful as bowser (or more) with his long-range-hammer.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman

Actually im very, VERY happy hes doing it.
Someone works very better when he likes what hes doing.
We can expect criativity and quality in those characters.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
What puzzles me bout this character is that what will his special moves will be. I don't know a thing about him other than he from the Kirby series

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think that he is "haile"ing.....

just pointing that out.

And we finally get to see one of Kirby's hats!

I love these new character updates but where are Luigi, Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Ganondorf, Falco,Sheik, Marth, or Game/Watch!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i like how we got to see kirby's dedede hat, which if im not mistaken is the first power we have seen of his in brawl. it would only be right for dedede to have his swallow attack like kirby (only spits em out powerfully tho, no copy ability), but it wont be his B. it cant be his B b/c if kirby copies dedede's swallow, thats a bit redundant lol. however, perhaps we havnt seen/heard any info on kirbys copy ability yet as they may have changed it in this game. maybe u dont always copy the B... maybe instead you get like a weapon and it changes ur physical attacks?

i have a feeling dedede will be really similar to DK. think of like DK's fair, I can see dedede doing that but with his hammer instead of fists (same as ICs). or perhaps a side B being like ICs, which will act like DK's, upB though a bit more. Hopefully sakurai can get some innovative moves for him so hes not just a giant ice climber lol

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Hooray! Finally, a newcomer I can get behind! I've been kind of disappointed with the last few we've gotten. I'm still shocked that he showed all three Kirby representatives before even mentioning the second Star Fox character. Star Fox is way behind in updates, and Metroid isn't coming along so fast either. I was positive that Krystal was on deck for confirmation...Anyway, I don't think there can be any doubt now that Sakurai is showing unlockables on the site. In Melee, for every franchise with multiple characters, at least one was secret. I don't see any reason why he'd make the entire Kirby lineup available from the start.

I hope we get his specials tomorrow. I'm really interested in how Sakurai is going to have him fight...

I'd say the F-Zero franchise is the most neglected... Sakurai must not like it very much.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yes... Finally a character I wanted in the game. Now I just need Isaac and I'll be happy!

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
YAAY King Dedede is my most wanted confirmed Newcomer =) Glad to see he's here, but I would've bet money he would be a super secret unlockable. He still may be, I guess.

EDIT: Maybe Goey is an unlockable for the Kirby franchise?

Top Bottom