• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King is Back! King Dedede that is!

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Youtube it.
There's no denying that although popular, the Kirby series hasn't really reached the super-stardom of the Metroid, Mario, or Zelda franchises. If it has three reps (which I find reasonable - they're all interesting characters) than chances are good for certain other characters.

Metroid is the best example. Currently, Samus/Zero Suit Samus are the same character slot (like Zelda/Sheik) so that's like 1.5 reps (or two, I don't care how you count it). Metroid is a more popular series, so there's VERY good chances of Ridley and Dark Samus. Possible Mother Brain as a boss, as well.

Mario obviously has a bazillion reps. Zelda has 4.5 in Melee (Ganondorf, Link, Young Link, and Zelda/Sheik). Midna (don't care if she's in or not, personally) thus has semi-decent chances - especially if Young Link is dropped. I can see a Ganon transformation being Ganondorf's Final Smash (either same moves but stronger, GigaBowser style; or simplified powerful moves, Fox Landmaster style).

Sorry if this is a double post, but this grinds my gears. Why is everyone under the impression that Metriod that big of a franchise. It just got off the ground really with Prime, and even then it's sales were laughable. It's critcally acclaimed yes, but Kirby is much bigger.

burrito

Smash Lord
There's no denying that although popular, the Kirby series hasn't really reached the super-stardom of the Metroid, Mario, or Zelda franchises. If it has three reps (which I find reasonable - they're all interesting characters) than chances are good for certain other characters..
Yes, there is denying, mainly for Metroid, Kirby is a more popular series than Metroid. A lot of people know who Kirby is, even non-gamers do. Do you know what this is <(^.^<)? Almost anyone can identify that little bit of ascii art as Kirby. It was a signature game for the Game Boy, had plenty more games than Metroid, and even had it's own anime series.Plus, Kirby is probably even more popular in Japan.

Anyways, I just find it funny that you think Metroid has reached super-stardom and put at the same level as Zelda and Mario. Metroid is well known from a retro game stanpoint and has made a recent comeback with the Metroid Prime series, but does not share the same consistency that the Kirby series has.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
King Dedede,
I guess we wont see him floating in any levels anytime soon...
(he made an appearance in smash bros 64 and Melee, the Level kirby's Dreamland)
maybe this was a clue that was right under our nose from the beginning..?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Dude i am so tired of cartoonie characters. Am i the only one who thinks that most of the characters except for snake, link, ike and bowser are truly bad ass? i mean where captain falcon? i feel like the game is being geared to kindergardeners by the looks of it. what do u guys think?
You must be new at Smash Brothers. And why is Bowser in that list? He's the biggest, cutest thing I've ever seen in my life. Have you seen him run?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Yes, there is denying, mainly for Metroid, Kirby is a more popular series than Metroid. A lot of people know who Kirby is, even non-gamers do. Do you know what this is <(^.^<)? Almost anyone can identify that little bit of ascii art as Kirby. It was a signature game for the Game Boy, had plenty more games than Metroid, and even had it's own anime series.Plus, Kirby is probably even more popular in Japan.

Anyways, I just find it funny that you think Metroid has reached super-stardom and put at the same level as Zelda and Mario. Metroid is well known from a retro game stanpoint and has made a recent comeback with the Metroid Prime series, but does not share the same consistency that the Kirby series has.
You clearly don't seem to know diddly about Metroid, please do all us Metroid fans a favor and shut yer hole.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
I think his inhale will be longer range than Kirby's, but they won't go into his mouth, they'll just be pulled towards him and fall over, with some damage.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I had myself convinced last night that the update was going to suck, and that friday would be our day.

Sometimes I love being wrong.

Dedede looks fantastic. Even though his screenshots are incredibly vague, I can safely say that this is a newcomer I'm totally excited about - something that hasn't really happened since Diddy Kong.

and, Dedede marks my third correct prediction on my roster list. :D (behind Diddy Kong and the Ice Climbers. I don't count Sonic because of how ridiculously easy it was to predict him)

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
How awesome is this, a penguin with a hammer.

Yeahuz, brawl is gonna be awesome if characters like this keep showing up.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what this is <(^.^<)? Almost anyone can identify that little bit of ascii art as Kirby.
Ok, I stand partially corrected. Kirby is definately more recognizeable to the masses (not the other chars in the series, though). However, I can't think of one game in his series that has been quoted to me as a AAA "omg you must play this game" title, and have seen some pretty mediocre reviews for some of the games in the series - though I'd love to go back and play the awesome ones, if I knew which they were.

Super Metroid, though? We never stopped hearing about that game well past the SNES days. The rest of the games in the series are no slouches either.

From a gaming standpoint (at least in the states, right now), I'd say Metroid holds a lot more "cred," if you will, than Kirby. Which was my point. If Kirby has three reps, others (like Metroid) stand a good chance of multiple characters. And more characters is good for everyone. :)

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing his Hammer is like the Ice Climber's?
They are not the same. IC's hammer's are made out of wood completely. Dedede's has some metal embrodered(sp?) on it. And the handles of both hammers are also different, IC's looks like a ruler, while Dedede's is longer and is a cylinder. Dedede's hammer also have those stars on the mallet. Dedede's is also made of a darker kind of wood compared to the Ice Climbers.

Hope that's enough to satisfy your query.

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
I'm extracting a guess from the picture in the top-left corner:

Does anyone think that King Dedede's Final Smash will utlise the Waddle Dees somehow?
If they are strong enough to lift him and the throne, I certainly can't see why they can't assemble together and to form the king's royal army, his prime offensive force.

Edit: the Waddle Dees are adorable!

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
What giant eyeball? And I was going to say this:

I'm suprised that his robe didn't ignite.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
His final smash will be growing a southern accent and talking about homes on ranges and how kids these days with their smashing brothers and other such brickabrack don't understand the simpluh times.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
All I can say is... WOW. Dedede looks AWESOME. He'll be the first character I use after Lucas (Or Masked Man AKA Claus if he's confirmed) and Sonic. His Jet Hammer looks soooooo cool :p

EDIT: His Final Smash will obviously involve Dark Matter :D

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
couldn't Sakurai have added a more agile character than that fat monster ???.....

the world does not need a second bowser.....come on i'm serious

'm so ****in tired of those characters you really expect.......i need sumthin overwhelming....like.....let me see.....hmmm.....yeah :

Stanley from Donkey Kong 3 for example

or Takamaru....but what do we get?? donal duck's fat cousin from russia....sad
theres always room for more. What is a Bowser?! *Throws wine glass*

A miserable big pile of secrets!!! But enough talk have at you!!!:mad::chuckle:

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
If anything, his Final Smash would involve that giant eyeball he has.
wat, u mean kracko? hehe, probably not. I see him more as a boss (just like in kirby game :))

Anyways, i think...well i have no idea wat his FS would be actually :laugh: And wha'ts this dark matter thing?

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
He could get really pissed off, blow steam out of his head, and have all his abilities boosted insanely.

EDIT:
Which actually happens in the Kirby games. Don't worry, it's canon, I didn't just make it up.
Yeah, but that doesn't seem like final smash material. Unless he could be as strong as giga bowser and invincible. And he just beat my pink, little, floaty *** with that steam thing :(

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Sure he would be invincible, and twice as strong/fast/jumpy as he was before. All that, and super pissed off.
In reality, I see that being one of his taunts, and him stomping around, those mini stars flying in a tiny radius of dedede, doing like 3%. His Final Smash will probably be something original. Especially considering Sakurai made Kirby... But I think he made a terrible desicion by giving Kirby Cook, and not Crash, so DDD's final smash may not be that good. Crash would be so awesome... It'd be like Zero Laser in every direction :(

Top Bottom