• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kame House : South Florida Melee Discussion

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
SFL has upwards of 30 players but for whatever reason we fail to unite as one group and tend to stick to ourselves. This has to stop. If we are to improve as a community, we must venture outside of our comfort zone and play with people we do not normally play with. It is only natural for us to reach a stagnant point if we are faced with the same obstacles every time.
Inspirational post is inspirational. *single tear drips down face in hope*

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Its tough getting these fau kids out to places for some reason. I don't no if its because they all don't have the same schedule or if its because out of school they all don't really hang out as much. Who knows.

surprisingly a lot of them have been improving real fast. I just wish we could get a big group of all of us on the same date.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Jason your a ****ing hater!

I guess I have to start talking to people.

Justin your really my fau connnection but like everyone is saying this **** has gotta stop. Bro you need to enter the next tournament. Do you know off any fau players that want to enter tournaments? I need you for one saturday to come threw and plz bring some people in your car that want to enter.(thats 5)
Zp people I think we need to visit fau on a friday and get to know some of them as well.
(the usuals like 10 of us)
Darius do any of the smashers in your area drive? We have one daniel lets try and get one more hopefuly. we can get 2 cars of people from the south miami area assuming punisherx and his people want to play and from what i know they do.
(be like 10 more people)

I have good relations with eliot ESAM sebrik and afro and i know they would be intrested if they can find the time.(I will talk to them in the future) Hmm oh ya maybe doodah lol.

Ya we can have a **** scene but we have to start working towards it.

Linguini we do you plan on being down in march? I would like to plan it around your arivial.

People location is improtant too and i think zp is best(tvs and good cheap venue and its centrilized).that sunset place is ok but warren complain about one tv and i think blea did too. But it can still work there just zp is better imo.

Lets do this guys!

DannyG

Smash Cadet
Yea as long as I'm going to something I'll try to organize driving as many people as I can. SFL united tourney really shouldn't be this difficult to organize, so anything I can do to help.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
i would love to bring up my tv, but my tv is big *** ****. still i can bring up my wii. ir sould be rosfls. revival of south florida scene haha :)
maybe

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
Darius do any of the smashers in your area drive? We have one daniel lets try and get one more hopefuly. we can get 2 cars of people from the south miami area assuming punisherx and his people want to play and from what i know they do.
(be like 10 more people)

People location is improtant too and i think zp is best(tvs and good cheap venue and its centrilized).that sunset place is ok but warren complain about one tv and i think blea did too. But it can still work there just zp is better imo.

Lets do this guys!
I will make sure to pm PunX, and the other guys so that we can get them all to come (they probably have drivers too hopefully)

also I do agree athat ZP is better since that Israeli guy is definetely a pot rapist... Plus ZP's got way more TV's and space to hang out. But for me to go there I need atleast one of the Daniels to give me a ride to and back, if not I won't be sure of going. (My dad was defientely feeling sketchy on ZP's location)

Yea as long as I'm going to something I'll try to organize driving as many people as I can. SFL united tourney really shouldn't be this difficult to organize, so anything I can do to help.
That's great bro, lets do it! Ask some of those UM guys that you were talking about to see if they'll come too)

Power to the SFL!!!!!

spider_sense

Smash Champion
lol <---Loves getting Dale riled up. Anyways, yeah attention must be made to handle this. I've done my part numerous times in coming out to tournaments much further than me. I want this community to nourish and stay strong. I'm always the go to guy for rides usually, just because I want this community to stay with it. Justin and Dar1us; I understand you guys have other priorities and I think smash can definitely take a back seat when it comes to that. (This goes for anyone in SFL) But if you guys have the time and want to.

Don't hesitate to call. I gave you both my numbers, hit me up and see if we're smashing on the weekends. I personally think Saturday evening is probably the best time to smash. We'll try to to work something out with Phil and Travis; because I understand Danny has gone to ZP on occasions to find out they were closed and that was bull**** and I felt bad for Cryptik (making rides from Hialeah to Sheridan isn't easy) and it looks bad on our part because it makes us look irresponsible, so I want to apologize to Danny for those times he's been disappointed.

We'll try to be on point from now on, and I'll take some of the burden off of Dale. Cause to be honest; he does bring the community together, so here's my number. 954-708-7017. Again, I'll try to talk to Phil and see if I can get those evening to ourselves. (It'll be tricky because of Brawlers taking that day up for their tournaments) but it can be done. I think Kevin can help with that, since he usually does stay on point with activities pertaining to smash.

I'll try to train up everyone who needs it. So don't hesitate to sit down and play Eli, Dale, Warren, or I. At those players I mentioned before; you guys are going to have to be patient and take the time to teach these guys how to be amazing at this game. Remember, we all got ***** at the beginning, so I like for you guys to exercise some patience and teach them things about fighting strategy, situations, things their characters can't and cannot do etc.

That's why SSF4 community thrives, because they teach each other new things to get themselves and their community better, and I want the same for us. We got this. Let's mass produce some beasts.

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
I'm so glad that we're putting a serious effort to bring the SFL communtiy together. I defientely am not putting smash in the backseat, as I've practiced for like 4 hours straight today since I got home :awesome:

I will be available the weekend of the 17th (4 day weekend for me) So i'll be readying myself to practice with you guys. I'm just happy to play a role in the revival of SFL.

Oh btw Jason, I just sent you a text so that you have my # so we can keep in contact.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
We'll try to to work something out with Phil and Travis; because I understand Danny has gone to ZP on occasions to find out they were closed and that was bull**** and I felt bad for Cryptik (making rides from Hialeah to Sheridan isn't easy) and it looks bad on our part because it makes us look irresponsible, so I want to apologize to Danny for those times he's been disappointed.
It's all good bro. I don't blame you guys. Whenever Phil isn't in the building his friends go crazy and lock it up so they can sleep or game or whatever.

I really am looking forward to what I hope to be the revitalization of the SFL smash community. I really want to improve also. Jason and Dale have been giving me lots of advice lately and I feel like I've just been introduced into the mental aspect of the game. Up until now I've only been playing with tech skill without thinking and I'm really excited to have to essentially start all over again, as if I'm new to the game. When I first began playing melee I loved to see my progression, being able to do things I couldn't do hours or days before.

The way I'm looking at it right now. Theres 3 steps to smash.
Step 1: Tech-skill training (Essentially becoming one with your character and controlling his movements as you please.)
Step 2: Learning the mental aspects of the game. (Options, tech-chasing, Reading DI for extending combos, spacing, zoning etc....)
Step 3: Combining the two previous steps, so that you can take advantage of every opportunity with your technical skill. Also trying to manipulate your opponent into making errors that will create those opportunities.

(When I say tech-skill I don't mean flashy combos and things like that. I just mean the general control of your character.)

DannyG

Smash Cadet
There's only so much you can do on your own. If your mental game is tech chasing level 9's then you'll get sodomized by opponents that have far less tech skill than you. That's why it's so important for us to come together and play. ZP soon pl0x?

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
I'm done with lvl 9's. I'm just going to have to immediately be able to tech read when I play with real ppl, while I practice tech skill and combos on lvl 7's.... It seems to be doing pretty well so far. Hope fully Jason and dale can help me w/ my mind game on that other weekend

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Yes yes very good.

Cryptik thats not a bad way too look at the game at all.

We all can play on friday and I wanna suggest we all go to fau. If alot of us go they can see the community.

Yes I do relize its a stretch but it will also be a help.

Jason Im not the only one keeping the community alive. Its a little on everyones part. My part apprently is to keep in contact with everyone and cordinate stuff lol. Kinda like an representative of sfl!

DannyG

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, I can't get to FAU until evening time (conservatively I'd say 8pm earliest because of traffic), but I can get there on Friday. I'm down with either that or ZP.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm done with lvl 9's. I'm just going to have to immediately be able to tech read when I play with real ppl, while I practice tech skill and combos on lvl 7's.... It seems to be doing pretty well so far. Hope fully Jason and dale can help me w/ my mind game on that other weekend
I never got it, try sending it again, or you can just give it to me through PM.

Yes yes very good.

Cryptik thats not a bad way too look at the game at all.

We all can play on friday and I wanna suggest we all go to fau. If alot of us go they can see the community.

Yes I do relize its a stretch but it will also be a help.

Jason Im not the only one keeping the community alive. Its a little on everyones part. My part apprently is to keep in contact with everyone and cordinate stuff lol. Kinda like an representative of sfl!
Friday, we'll have to see. But if it can happen then I don't see why not. Dar1us I'm glad you stopped playing level 9's. lol That's a major improvement, and you just got 1,000,000,000 times better as a player by just doing that.

Here are a few threads I want you to look at and read whenever you get the chance. Even though they were made like 5 years ago, they still hold some merit.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106060 (Alot to read but like I said earlier whenever you guys can, sit down and really read these) This thread literally covers EVERYTHING! From Basics, Intermediate, Advanced.

zidane3015

Smash Cadet
I'm down for whatever on the weekend assuming I have a ride...

Darius- Go check out the shiek guides http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

And as to what to Cryptik said about his steps... the only problem I have is learning tech skill before basic smarts. You need to know your basic smarts like the ones he mentioned before you worry about techskill. when I was getting better I couldn't short hop with fox to save my life and I would still do ok because I played smart. then as I improved my techskill I was doing even better. Theres no point in knowing how to control your character prefectly if you don't know how to use that control.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm down for whatever on the weekend assuming I have a ride...

Darius- Go check out the shiek guides http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

And as to what to Cryptik said about his steps... the only problem I have is learning tech skill before basic smarts. You need to know your basic smarts like the ones he mentioned before you worry about techskill. when I was getting better I couldn't short hop with fox to save my life and I would still do ok because I played smart. then as I improved my techskill I was doing even better. Theres no point in knowing how to control your character prefectly if you don't know how to use that control.
Well Kevin tech skills should always compliment your mentality, so it's probably best to work on tech skills then work on improving your mental state. If I fsmash (well spaced) you with Marth and you're Sheik, you need to be able to wavedash Oos to punish appropriately and be able to do it consistently and when the situation arises.

Also watch vids of your pro sheik players and imitate everything they do given certain situations and matchups. This should be fun though. =)

zidane3015

Smash Cadet
whats the point of knowing how if you don't know when to use it? (basic smarts and knowledge of the game)

something cryptik said was knowing to read techs and DI. So why be able to do all that fancy falco stuff if you don't know how to follow up or read your opponent yet?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
whats the point of knowing how if you don't know when to use it? (basic smarts and knowledge of the game)

something cryptik said was knowing to read techs and DI. So why be able to do all that fancy falco stuff if you don't know how to follow up or read your opponent yet?
I never said anything about doing fancy stuff lol. The point I'm trying to make is to learn all the tech skills first, so when the time comes for you to learn all the mental aspects of the game, you'll be ready. Additionally then, what's the point of learning to read habits, if you can't exploit them? All because of your inability to do a tech? Read the thread I posted Kevin, maybe it'll give you a better understanding of what I'm getting at. It should be listed under. Mindgames vs Tech skills; something like that and look at the example I gave above. You'd be surprise how many people can't wavedash Oos and can't punish simple actions, so your going back to what I said earlier; your tech skill should compliment your mentality.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Ugh this game is just starting to frustrate me. I don't no what it is..... :( I keep raging . But besides that

So I'll try to tell these kids here to go on smashboards. Fridays is when most of them are at game night. its always a different group each time but there's a good 8 players that are learning pretty fast and like 5 of us who already have an idea of what were doing. Maybe more at times.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Ugh this game is just starting to frustrate me. I don't no what it is..... :( I keep raging . But besides that

So I'll try to tell these kids here to go on smashboards. Fridays is when most of them are at game night. its always a different group each time but there's a good 8 players that are learning pretty fast and like 5 of us who already have an idea of what were doing. Maybe more at times.
Justin we'll go Friday, and I'd like to talk to you in private about the rages. Hype it up and tell them we're going!

zidane3015

Smash Cadet
lol not hating or anything and i agree and all but its like what came first the chicken or the egg. Theres nothing to exploit if you can't find a habit thats all i'm trying to get at. Again were both right so it doesnt really matter. Anyway i guess il go to sleep since i have school tomorrow and play on the weekend whether it be FAU or ZP.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Jason your a ****ing hater!

I guess I have to start talking to people.

Justin your really my fau connnection but like everyone is saying this **** has gotta stop. Bro you need to enter the next tournament. Do you know off any fau players that want to enter tournaments? I need you for one saturday to come threw and plz bring some people in your car that want to enter.(thats 5)
Zp people I think we need to visit fau on a friday and get to know some of them as well.
(the usuals like 10 of us)
(be like 10 more people)

I have good relations with eliot ESAM sebrik and afro and i know they would be intrested if they can find the time.(I will talk to them in the future) Hmm oh ya maybe doodah lol.

Ya we can have a **** scene but we have to start working towards it.

Linguini we do you plan on being down in march? I would like to plan it around your arivial.

Lets do this guys!
Its tough for me to find a night to go when almost every night I still don't have a clue where in gunna be living... I go down to zp when I can. And I know people who would enter a tourney. But they mostly go to fau but live farther north. So its a hell of a drive. And I'm sure if its a big event people would go. People are flakey though. Its how life is.

I'm still on a day to day basis of knowing when I can do ****. Life is ****ing tough. And I'm constantly busy worrying about other bs.

Also don't plan on going to fau yet. I'm going to try to get some of the kids there in this thread and not just reading the guides so they can keep in touch not just through me

Linguini

Smash Master
SFL doin' work!

lol i see dale has took over my smash powers down in sfl, good ****. I always organized stuff in sfl when it came to big fests/tourneys in the past but it shouldn't ever be that way.

Anyways ill be down by march 5th so that's a good tournament date.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
lol not hating or anything and i agree and all but its like what came first the chicken or the egg. Theres nothing to exploit if you can't find a habit thats all i'm trying to get at. Again were both right so it doesnt really matter. Anyway i guess il go to sleep since i have school tomorrow and play on the weekend whether it be FAU or ZP.
Yeah, I mean I know the basics but really the bare minimum. When I said that the mental aspect came second after tech skill I really meant the more in depth stuff. Then again you could learn the mental side of smash first and then the tech skill if you wanted to but in my situation I went tech skill first. There is no right and wrong. I'm just saying both sides are important. You can't rely on just tech skill to win, which is where I've been going wrong. You guys have seen me get a little pissed when I'm getting torn up and I realize it's because I don't have any experience with the mental side of the game and I'm just rushing in blindly.

I really hope to improve. I feel like just realizing what the problem is pretty important and now I'm hoping to work on it by going to ZP more often.

Edit- I also thought going to fau would have been a good idea. Why don't you think we should come Justin?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Lol both are important it doesnt necessarily come in a specific order but more so when you learn to implement both correctly.

Anyway imma make the tourney thread this weekend then.

Justin your still in that sitiuation bro? Damn man. Well lets work on setting this **** up. Can you make march 5th? that is currently the date.

tell everyone you know to get a smashboards account by this weekend! it helps tournament attendance when people are posting up!

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I mean I know the basics but really the bare minimum. When I said that the mental aspect came second after tech skill I really meant the more in depth stuff. Then again you could learn the mental side of smash first and then the tech skill if you wanted to but in my situation I went tech skill first. There is no right and wrong. I'm just saying both sides are important. You can't rely on just tech skill to win, which is where I've been going wrong. You guys have seen me get a little pissed when I'm getting torn up and I realize it's because I don't have any experience with the mental side of the game and I'm just rushing in blindly.

I really hope to improve. I feel like just realizing what the problem is pretty important and now I'm hoping to work on it by going to ZP more often.

Edit- I also thought going to fau would have been a good idea. Why don't you think we should come Justin?
I just don't want people to be no shows, so I'm going to try to get some people on smashboards first to actually build hype and so they know who will be there and what not. If I can get a few of then on here it will help.

They usually start game night around 8. There's smash, rock band, dj hero, black ops etc.

I'll talk to some kids today there

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
jason is right, kevin ur gay <3, danny, cryptik, dar1us to good

dude, i want to go to a tournament on march, i really want to go, do one of u wants to? is in GA

i think it's after marth 5th's tournament

my bad, im no longer going to GA, its on march 5th

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Tech skill should be practiced first WHILE understanding the importance aspects of the game (For players learning smash, tech skills practiced with their chosen main should be first). lol Anyways, Emilio I want to talk to you about some serious Ganon stuff when you get down here.

Lmao @ Blea - Leave Baby Kevin alone, he's a good kid. lol Justin and Dar1us must unify the divide corners of earths realm. ZP is a great middle point, I kinda wish Nexus was still around though.

@ Dale - Talk to Phil and see if we can get that date. Also HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind ESAM has 3/12
well thank god that ESAM didn't take the 5th. That would've blown all of our momentum.

Anyways, I'm reading the guide now, and it brings up a lot of great points that I'm going to focus on when I do my two hour practice today. Too bad I won't be able to practice with you guys this weekend, but I have my hopes up for the weekend after.

SFL will combine to form a great alliance of badass smash players, a force to never be messed with. LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and heres a perfect hype picture to put for the tourney:

DannyG

Smash Cadet
All I know is that I have no old school TV at school and the HD lag machines just don't cut it for practicing, so organize something fast. If FAU isn't gonna work out this weekend can we do ZP? I'm not sure how you guys figure out going to ZP. Also I really want to meet spider sense for some Ganon tips.

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
Oh ****... DannyG + Jason's tips= I better practice my *** off for this.

Oh, Dale and Emilio, I want you to look at this tourneys bracket setup to see if you want to use something like this at our tourney. Guaranteed more playtime in brackets. I'll help arrange our brackets and solve any ties bteween pools standings.

Here it is: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294913

DannyG

Smash Cadet
If we don't go to FAU I would really like to go to ZP on Friday.

WHO ASKED YOU CRYPTIK???? Nah jk, I agree with you. Let's do this. I miss you already <3

Oh and Darius I'm officially adopting you as my rival. Train hard buddy!

Dar1u5

Smash Apprentice
Oh and Darius I'm officially adopting you as my rival. Train hard buddy!
Awww ****.... you picked the wrong counterpick to mess with bud... IT ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!

lol @ Cryptik :D We defientely need to team at this next tournament. Your technical Falco that SD's and KO's a lot + my sheik/G&W that stays alive forever= da best team ever. and you can keep the other Daniel as your rival.

DannyG

Smash Cadet
D: I want a ****ing rival! Damnit, I have no motivation these days.
Awww Cryp! I'd let you be my rival too, but you're better than me by a lot. I feel like Darius and I are on the same tier, so we can improve together.

If you have no motivation, just remember that you don't want to be surpassed by me too quickly! *cue emotive anime music*

Top Bottom