• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Japanese word stage builder

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=5133]The Japanese word stage builder[/drupal]

If you saw that new Chaos Kaosu stage, it is true, I can read the Japanese alphabets Katakana and most of Hiragana without the need of the internet (self-taught via books, anime DVDs and setting some of my games to Japanese text)

Shoot me a PM if you want a stage made from word using these symbols (some might be too long to replicate thought)

Keep in mind that if it's Katakana, the word is not originally from Japan, Hiragnana is for Japanese words,

For examples: Set (in reference to mythology) would be spelled in Katakana and the common word in anime songs, kokoro (heart) would be in Hiragana.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't want a stage (no idea what that is), but I'd be curious to know which books you used. I'm interested in learning it as well.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Link to original post: [drupal=5133]The Japanese word stage builder[/drupal]

If you saw that new Chaos Kaosu stage, it is true, I can read the Japanese alphabets Katakana and most of Hiragana without the need of the internet (self-taught via books, anime DVDs and setting some of my games to Japanese text)
Congratulations! Now try moving to kanji. Don't worry, there's only 3,200 basic ones!

****, kanji is a *****.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't know a whole lot about the various character sets, but aren't there 3 of them ranging in usage?

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
Sorry I was a bit slow with responding (needs to figure out how to get auto updates), but some of my research shows that many Kanji are composed of simpler Kanji in a picture writing format, for example, the Kanji for sword can be used for power (swords represent power) one picture meaning fire can become flame if one is put directly on top of it or Dragon has the symbol for Wing in it. (Dragons tend to have wings, so why not?)
Keep in mind I haven't been able to use of find my books lately so I can't remember the names. I did notice the days of the week are for elements of nature. For example Monday/GetsuYoubi, Getsu=Moon or Wednesday/Suiyoubi, Sui=water

Sorry I'm not useful, but I know Kodansha sells a Kanji dictionary in English. I am used to some complicated parts of converting non Japanese words through Katakana, for example the Sonic character Tikal would have to be spelled Teikaru since Katakana uses a Chi sound instead of a Ti sound, with R sounds can be used for L sounds. (I am Error/I am Errol from Zelda 2 on the NES explained)

With the exception of N sounds, all consinents are foolowed by vowels for example Ragnarok would be (if memory serves) Ragunaroku.

When a vowel is added with sole exceptions of T and D sounds, add a U sound, if it is T or D add an O.
For the latter example, the Egyptian god Set would be Seto (Yu-gi-oh character name explained).

I hope I'm not TOO vague.

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
My favorite Naruto is Sasuke.

Hootou-kojima awakime konichiwaa kawaii
I used to like Naruto for a time, but eventually, it hit me on a personal level through the story telling too much.

Anyone want me to make the title of their favorite anime into a stage? (supposing the Kanji isn't too complicated)

If there's any of the 256 songs you want, include that to.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
HEY THERE BROTHER, HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE STAGES OUT OF THESE

ICHIBAN (THE HULK WAS CALLED THAT ALL THROUGH HIS TIME IN JAPAN DUDE)
HURUKU HOGANO
AXE-U BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (THE B IS PRONOUNCED FULLY, BROTHER)
BANING-U HAMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SHINING-U WIZADO
REG-U DUROPPO!

[COLLAPSE="[img]lolololololololololololoolblankpost[/img]"][/COLLAPSE]

NegativeZero

Smash Rookie
HEY THERE BROTHER, HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE STAGES OUT OF THESE

ICHIBAN (THE HULK WAS CALLED THAT ALL THROUGH HIS TIME IN JAPAN DUDE)
HURUKU HOGANO
AXE-U BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (THE B IS PRONOUNCED FULLY, BROTHER)
BANING-U HAMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SHINING-U WIZADO
REG-U DUROPPO!

[COLLAPSE="[img]lolololololololololololoolblankpost[/img]"][/COLLAPSE]

Axe Bomber, is that in reference to Castlevania Portrait of Ruin?

I may need a few hours (busy day).

But I'll get to these ASAP.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So is Kanji just another way of writing things or is it an entirely different word/symbol set with different meanings than other ones?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
you can use kanji to -

differentiate homophones in writing
make reading faster [provided it is common so most readers can recognize it]
make jokes
literary device - dialogue, even casual, that is kanji-heavy indicates character is scholarly or w/e
give meaning to your nonsensical "cool" engrish
other stuff higher-level weeaboo would know [only at lvl20 obv :079:]

teran your name is suppose to be pronounced like Teheran right

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So is Kanji just another way of writing things or is it an entirely different word/symbol set with different meanings than other ones?
Kanji is basically a character that represents a certain word. For example, it would be like is our word "bird" had a different and faster way to spell it instead of typing out "b-i-r-d". "Tori" is bird in Japanese and, while you can write it out as "to-ri" (a character representing "to" and a character representing "ri" in hirigana), most likely you will see it written out in kanji as a single character.

To visualize, Tori in Hirigana is とり (と(to)り(ri)). This is the most basic writing system for Japan. However, when written in kanji, tori is written as this "鳥". Not all Japanese words have kanji though but, since it is all phonetic based, it can be written out in kanji. An example is a coffee cafe I like to go to" Coffee Cafe". Coffee is Japanese is Kohi and Cafe is pronounced ka-fe. Instead of just writting, Coffee Cafe in English, the owner wrote "Kohi Ka-fe" in Kanji phonetically. When I asked him why, he said it sounded clever and fancy.

So yeah, kanji is a horrible *****.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Very interesting.

I was talking to a coworker today (almost 30 years old) about learning Japanese and he said to learn Korean first. He said Korean has sooooooooo many less characters than something like Japanese or Chinese and it would help get me used to using symbols and some syntax as well.

Any merit to what he said?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Korean is fairly easy to read and the writing system isn't too complicated. it is much easier to learn than Japanese. However, I heard trying to learn Korean through romanized letters tends to **** up your speaking ability so its best to learn directly from Korean if that makes sense. However, speaking Korean seems pretty hard since he has several tones in it.

Out of Chinese and Japanese though, Korean seems to be the easiest to learn and pick up. I was able to pick up several Korean phrases and elementary level reading comprehension when I was there for a week.

EDIT: However, Korean and Japanese are worlds apart so its wise not too look for similarities between the two when studying them.

Top Bottom