• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I never thought I would see Eight face to face with Samus in my life...

But now it is finally happening.

Only Crash is left on the mix.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
So, it's really just Final Fantasy getting the short end of the stick. Too bad the staff was probably too busy to be around for negotiations.
Yeah, that hurt me as Sephiroth (my number one most wanted) is basically deconfirmed without a second fighters pass (unlikely) now. So that really sucks. But here's to hoping I enjoy the new characters.

D

Deleted member

Me too.

Come to think of it, how many of the games' party members could fit in here as spirits? We're potentially looking at a ton of them.
My guess for spirits is each of the non playable heroes in the final smash along with a couple monsters.
So, let's assume 10 spirits (since that's how many Persona got iirc). 7 heroes and 3 monsters I can imagine being a Slime, a Metal Slime or a King Slime, and maybe a more prominent strong monster. Dragonlord, Zoma, Estark, Mordegon, who knows...
If they were to put a focus on more popular party members though then I can see it going like this:
-Alena
-Torneko
-Bianca
-Milly or Carver (can't decide)
-Terry
-Maribel
-Yangus
-Jessica
-Erik
-Sylvando

D

Deleted member

Hey lads, congrats. Hero's shaping up to be a real neat character and I love how they included every single protagonist somewhere in their. Really feels like a homage to the entire series.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sakurai tweeted that there'd be details on a fighter closer to release. I hope there's still something soon.

Here's the translation:

"I would like to show you some details about the fighter that I announced this time when the delivery date approaches. Now I'm going to make a little more. "

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder why Sakurai picked those four DQ heroes over the rest.

DQ11 Hero - I think it’s because he’s the newest and his game is coming to the Switch soon. That’s probably why he’s the default Hero.

The other three? Why? Not that I’m complaining... very happy with Erdrick and Eight... just wondering why he picked them and the DQ4 Hero over the rest. Was it sales of their games? The top four get in?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder why Sakurai picked those four DQ heroes over the rest.

DQ11 Hero - I think it’s because he’s the newest and his game is coming to the Switch soon. That’s probably why he’s the default Hero.

The other three? Why? Not that I’m complaining... very happy with Erdrick and Eight... just wondering why he picked them and the DQ4 Hero over the rest. Was it sales of their games? The top four get in?
They're all noteworthy in some way; Erdrick's game is the most beloved in Japan for introducing some revolutionary innovations by series standards, Solo's game introduced secondary characters with actual personalities, and Eight's game has the most appeal in the West.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Can one of you Dragon Quest aficionados tell me the first Dragon Quest song we heard?

The second one sounds like the Ghost Ship music from Fortune Street, which I'm told is the world map theme of DQ3... is it the same mix as the Smash trailer?

D

Deleted member

Can one of you Dragon Quest aficionados tell me the first Dragon Quest song we heard?

The second one sounds like the Ghost Ship music from Fortune Street, which I'm told is the world map theme of DQ3... is it the same mix as the Smash trailer?
The first song is the Overture, the main theme of the DQ series.
The second is indeed DQIII's overworld theme. The version in Fortune Street uses synthetic instruments while this version used a live orchestra.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Anyone else hoping that the hero sales well for dlc? Or at least sparks some type of popularity with the west? Because I hope so.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
We did it guys! we got two amazing characters today, (technically 6 characters lol)

Our wishes of having multiple heroes came true and can we just appreciate Luminary saving Link, tho? what a legendary moment:

【スマブラSP】 伝説の勇者 (1080p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC).mp4_snapshot_00.50_[2019.06.11_11.42.50].jpg

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Im currently watching Japanese reaction videos for The Hero, it's pretty much a reverse from western reaction.

People lose their minds at The Hero (btw his name literally translates to Brave on the Japanese website)
And it's typically just...."meh" at Banjo, even saw one guy give a confused "Who?"

Don't let anyone tell you Dragon Quest isn't important, or that no one knows what it is.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Im currently watching Japanese reaction videos for The Hero, it's pretty much a reverse from western reaction.

People lose their minds at The Hero (btw his name literally translates to Brave on the Japanese website)
And it's typically just...."meh" at Banjo, even saw one guy give a confused "Who?"

Don't let anyone tell you Dragon Quest isn't important, or that no one knows what it is.
I saw someone post a wild stat about DQ and I'm virtually clueless about DQ, I'd never heard of it before March or so. Obviously it's huge in Japan but this person claimed 93% of DQ sales were in Japan, any idea how accurate/inaccurate that is? Regardless, I understand why people are disappointed/angry. It was a choice very clearly made specifically for Japanese audiences. Many people know they only get five fighters, and don't want an anime swordie, or someone they've never heard of, or want the Square rep to be somebody else. It's easy to understand the frustration and anger especially when a vast majority of the public doesn't know who these characters are.

This isn't me talking **** though, I should point out. While I'll admit I'm more than a little resentful of this pick, I know I won't feel that way for long. Because I love Smash. I'll play whoever gets released and have fun.

D

Deleted member

My biggest concern with Tall Erdrick was that he'd be the stoic brave guy who only really emotes through focus. But now I'm looking at it and I see some charm in the heroes. (You know, ignoring the ambient classical music and nice visuals.)

When they're selecting their spells, they actually put their hand to their chin and tap their foot to think. That's great because it kind of looks like they're in an RPG battle. It's what I do in RPGs

The Slime taunt is adorable and is a great way to represent it and the heroes.

Visually, I like them. They have a lot of moves, including a suicide attack, and there's a lot of fanservice to it. Sakurai did wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Im actually really happy as to how Hero turned out. Yeah he feels a little........shill because of the way they handled the trailer and how it cuts to Dragon Quest gameplay, but this is a major improvement over how Joker is in Smash and yet Atuls does not care about porting Persona 5 to Switch. This is admitedly the better choice. It actually sold me on the character and franchise.

While it's sad to some to see no Fem Erdrick.....eh, i can live without her. I almost never play as female characters and they have never made it beyond "for fun" when it comes to how much i play them (Zelda in Ultimate is probably the female character i have played the most in my entire Smash history, and she is not even top 10 of my most used characters period) Plus i always prefer the Male Avatar (Squid Boi FTW) I mean if you asked me i would have preferred the Chibi NES artwork Erdrick and that one didn't even had a Fem Alt at all.

But Eight and Solo though, definetly the costumes i will pick if i ever pick him.

Granted im probably beign this generous and welcome only because Also Banjo got in, but still, Congrats.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Forgot to mention this earlier, but Erdrick's design in particular is amazing. It's clearly takes a lot from his Battle Road Victory design, but the color palette is a nice mix between it and his SNES design, complete with black hair. There's even a few nods to his Famicom design, like his big ass ears. I was hoping for chibi proportions, but I'm still very satisfied by the final design.

On an unrelated note, I made this:
chadricks.png

D

Deleted member

I saw someone post a wild stat about DQ and I'm virtually clueless about DQ, I'd never heard of it before March or so. Obviously it's huge in Japan but this person claimed 93% of DQ sales were in Japan, any idea how accurate/inaccurate that is? Regardless, I understand why people are disappointed/angry. It was a choice very clearly made specifically for Japanese audiences. Many people know they only get five fighters, and don't want an anime swordie, or someone they've never heard of, or want the Square rep to be somebody else. It's easy to understand the frustration and anger especially when a vast majority of the public doesn't know who these characters are.

This isn't me talking **** though, I should point out. While I'll admit I'm more than a little resentful of this pick, I know I won't feel that way for long. Because I love Smash. I'll play whoever gets released and have fun.
I'm also not sure on that statistic, but to put it in perspective: mainline Dragon Quest games are lucky to break a million sales in the west. While in Japan, they routinely break more than 2 million. Dragon Quest 11 broke almost a million sales in the west, which is pretty good. In Japan, it broke about 3 million, which says a lot about how popular it is there. During Dragon Quest 3's launch, people were reported to actually get mugged and skip school just to play it, which caused the developers to start releasing Dragon Quest on weekends. There's also a museum exhibit literally dedicated to this series and a national holiday that was a couple weeks ago, both in Japan.

Given how Banjo was actually received indifferently in Japan, I think today's direct balanced out the west's and east's interest wonderfully because Banjo was clearly the western pick. He's the first western-original character in Smash and was more successful here during the N64 era.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but Erdrick's design in particular is amazing. It's clearly takes a lot from his Battle Road Victory design, but the color palette is a nice mix between it and his SNES design, complete with black hair. There's even a few nods to his Famicom design, like his big *** ears. I was hoping for chibi proportions, but I'm still very satisfied by the final design.

On an unrelated note, I made this:
View attachment 227532
Dragon Quest: Four Swords Adventure.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

It's funny when you consider DQ is the 7th best selling franchise in Smash, beating the likes of Street Fighter, Donkey Kong, Pacman, and even Smash Bros. itself, anyone claiming is not important is someone who boasts their own ignorance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I must be one of the few fans who got hyped for both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie... probably because I actually played both Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie games.

D

Deleted member

I must be one of the few fans who got hyped for both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie... probably because I actually played both Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie games.
I'm here with you. I lost it when they showed off the alt heroes and **** bricks when they showed Banjo

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice

I've actually seen several Japanese reactions where they loose it over both characters. And in every one of them they knew who it was when the puzzle piece bounced across the floor.

Likewise, I've seen a few English reactions where the people where able to name each of The Heros and were genuinely happy.

Edit: In fact I'm finding the Japanese are more likely to start singing Banjo's theme :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly the Trailer for Hero was the best thing. They knew how to handle it, Pure Action, no words. Much better than Joker's really.

It's great to see DLC newcomers getting high quality trailers as opposed to Smash 4 and PP.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Congrats on getting your character(s)!

I was curious, could anyone give me a rundown on each of the different Hero's deal? I know a bit about Edrick and The Luminary but not so much about 4 and 8's protagonists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom