• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

It really is a distinctive art style. While I love Toriyama, it is definitely refreshing to see another artist take a different spin on the franchise.

Last edited:

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
So I know Tansut is our Square guy, but I've been wondering if he's clarified which version of Erdrick is coming. Does anyone know if he's mentioned anything on this?

D

Deleted member

So I know Tansut is our Square guy, but I've been wondering if he's clarified which version of Erdrick is coming. Does anyone know if he's mentioned anything on this?
Just that a Dragon Quest character is happening, they'll have male/female alts, and not to expect a reveal "soon" (posted in late December).
He never even specifically said Erdrick, but it's assumed that's what he meant since it's what many other leakers are saying.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Just that a Dragon Quest character is happening, they'll have male/female alts, and not to expect a reveal "soon" (posted in late December).
He never even specifically said Erdrick, but it's assumed that's what he meant since it's what many other leakers are saying.
The only other choice I can see as the most likely alternative is the Luminary. That or Eight since DQ8 I believe is very recognizable in the west.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Do you guys think they'll ever just port DQ 1-6 over in a collection on the switch I took a look at the mobile ports and I think it'd be real easy

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you guys think they'll ever just port DQ 1-6 over in a collection on the switch I took a look at the mobile ports and I think it'd be real easy
Sadly no, because this is SquareEnix.

You might get ports, but you won't get a collection.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Sadly no, because this is SquareEnix.

You might get ports, but you won't get a collection.
I'd like to hope that your wrong but this is Square we're talking about but with Enix being the nicer half I still have hope

Calane

Smash Ace
Since he said "Seems like the recent DLC rumor is true, y'all. Hope you're hungry for that new character!", and then went on to say "I don't know if all of the 5chan info is accurate, just the character and that apparently we get to choose a male and female version a la Robin and Corrin", I think that Tansut referring to Erdrick is more than just an assumption.

The way I see it, there's literally nothing else he could have meant.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I was talking about it yesterday with my brother(a huge Fire Emblem and Persona fan, but also a huge Final Fantasy and KH fan). How the two half of SE act so different, and how the Square side have a lot of stubborn bad decisions production-wise and how the Enix part is so bad(or at least was) at overseas marketing. He got overly pissed about the thing that they suddenly cancelled the FFXV DLCs about the most important characters and release the least requested one that was programed to be the last one of the extra stories.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Honestly if Enix could just figure out a way to market DQ well I feel like DQ could out due final fantasy

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
They need to just focus on the little stories each game is built up of, as well as the world exploration element, rather than making it seem like a grand epic. It's just the more honest view of the Dragon Quest series and it's why I and most other people love it, and as much as I liked the DQ XI S section of the last Nintendo Direct it did feel a little dishonest. Hopefully newly interested potential fans don't bounce off the game when it comes out this fall.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I was talking about it yesterday with my brother(a huge Fire Emblem and Persona fan, but also a huge Final Fantasy and KH fan). How the two half of SE act so different, and how the Square side have a lot of stubborn bad decisions production-wise and how the Enix part is so bad(or at least was) at overseas marketing. He got overly pissed about the thing that they suddenly cancelled the FFXV DLCs about the most important characters and release the least requested one that was programed to be the last one of the extra stories.
The saddest part of all this is that the Square end of things always have a lot of potential, only to be squandered by their own inadequacies. Sure the Enix side is bad with overseas but at least they can finish their game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly if Enix could just figure out a way to market DQ well I feel like DQ could out due final fantasy
Well. If they got into smash, that's a pretty darn good move for it XD
I feel like we're getting so close to a second dlc reveal. shouldnt be long before we at least have more concrete information. (I hope, at least)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well. If they got into smash, that's a pretty darn good move for it XD
I feel like we're getting so close to a second dlc reveal. shouldnt be long before we at least have more concrete information. (I hope, at least)
Honestly I hate this whole waiting thing just show us what we're buying

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Dont you want to savour the mystery longer? ;p

in a week things will start rollin', anyway.
nope not really sure i'll know when it's time but i want to give you my money why are we dancing around here I wanna see Ryu, Erdrick, Adol (although he'll never happen probably) just drop some info

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd honestly rather just know as well.

Personally, I never liked DLC being trickled out. I miss the old "Super Street Fighter 4, here's 10 new goddamn characters all at once!" model. It gives me a reason to go back to the game put some SERIOUS time into it, instead of playing around with one new character for a few days and then putting the game down for another 2 months.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd honestly rather just know as well.

I never liked DLC being trickled out honestly. I miss the old "Super Street Fighter 4, here's 10 new goddamn characters all at once!" model. It gives me a reason to go back to the game put some SERIOUS time into it, instead of playing around with one new character for a few days and then putting the game down for another 2 months.
I think it's ok to keep it off for good timing, but on the other hand my philosophy is that information should be revealed as soon as it's (appropriately) ready to be. If everything is in order for the character contracts, I think they should just reveal them. Also, the longer the wait, the more chance of leaks there are.

Though there's also fun in the mystery and the surprise.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think it's ok to keep it off for good timing, but on the other hand my philosophy is that information should be revealed as soon as it's (appropriately) ready to be. If everything is in order for the character contracts, I think they should just reveal them. Also, the longer the wait, the more chance of leaks there are.

Though there's also fun in the mystery and the surprise.
I mean there no harm in just knowing who we're buying tho there'd be far less annoyances Double post sorry

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Did you think they will voice him or just pull a Link and make him only grunt?
Would love a voiced version to hear the spells during the fight.
I get really disappointed with Dai moveset in Jump Force as he use almost none spells and the only spell invoked by name in the attacks is Iora(Boom) on the grab.
Also hope that Erdrick got a grab that he use Boom in it too.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Neither, full mute. DQ never voices protagonists and Smash respects the peculiarities of games a lot.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I get really disappointed with Dai moveset in Jump Force as he use almost none spells and the only spell invoked by name in the attacks is Iora(Boom) on the grab.
Also hope that Erdrick got a grab that he use Boom in it too.
Honestly I hope he speaks although I don't know what he'd say other then his spell names

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Neither, full mute. DQ never voices protagonists and Smash respects the peculiarities of games a lot.
Except for XI but those were grunts and yells. I think Erdrick is gonna get the mega man treatment though. If he does get a voice, it'll be his CD theater voice since it's the same as Marths.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last I checked(which was 8 and 9) even the other party members that DO have voices don't shout out spell names in DQ. All you get is that classic casting sound.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The Luminary grunts and shouts in the English version of DQXI, and they've announced his Japanese voice actress for DQXI S, so that'll be the same. A little voice work is kosher.

Characters say stuff in DQXI when they cast spells (the Luminary just shouts), but it's usually not the actual name of the spell. My personal favourite is Serena's goofy "heaven's winds propel thee hence!" when she casts a Woosh-line spell, whatta mouthful. Characters actually do call out spell and attack names in the Heroes games*. I've always liked that, but I wouldn't expect it to carry over into Smash since some of the names are kind of long and it'd be grating to hear them a million times per match.

Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang! Twomerang!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just popping in to root for your guy/gal once more, Erdrick pals. Not gonna lie, they're starting to grow on me, especially female Erdrick. She's hecking adorable. I want to give her a hug and a flower.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just popping in to root for your guy/gal once more, Erdrick pals. Not gonna lie, they're starting to grow on me, especially female Erdrick. She's hecking adorable. I want to give her a hug and a flower.
That's nice ofyou. I dunno if she likes flowers, a lot of people say she's a tomboy.
But actually, with most of the versions there's a personality system and there's a Lot of them. Only one of them is tomboy (altho there's other kinds) :p

Just for fun, here's the list:
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/List_of_personality_types_in_Dragon_Quest_III

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All there is to it. Just interested in your guys opinion on it.
Oh ok. It'd be easier if you had specific points you wanna talk about that were in it, or synopsis if it's all of it.

I only skimmed but it sounds pretty much like what's been talked about before including here.
If ever i listen to it i can get back with something, but i may not anytime soon :/

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
It's a good discussion. There's not much new that's brought up, but I've been craving Smash speculation for a good while, so it's nice to listen to people talk about it.

I feel like they were a little too dismissive of Slime, though. They went into that "Erdrick or Slime?" question in the title knowing their answer. They didn't talk much about other potential DQ reps, aside from a brief mention of the Luminary.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask something as someone who's not overly familiar with Dragon Quest. Would there be any difference, gameplay-wise, between Erdrick and any other DQ protag, besides Madason?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's a good discussion. There's not much new that's brought up, but I've been craving Smash speculation for a good while, so it's nice to listen to people talk about it.

I feel like they were a little too dismissive of Slime, though. They went into that "Erdrick or Slime?" question in the title knowing their answer. They didn't talk much about other potential DQ reps, aside from a brief mention of the Luminary.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask something as someone who's not overly familiar with Dragon Quest. Would there be any difference, gameplay-wise, between Erdrick and any other DQ protag, besides Madason?
Well with a character like Luminary, I personally find there wouldn't be much of a difference. The only real change is that Luminary can dual wield, wield greatswords and has more of an expansive skillset compared to DQ3 only Erdrick (Gigagash/Gigaslash didn't exist yet).

Luminary also has pep up, which is essentially Clouds limit in smash. Rather then Tension which is basically increased damage per charge. He also has exclusive abilities such as Quadraslash (giant sword falling from the sky) and splitter abilities which is essentially Getsuga Tenshou.

Can't speak for every other protagonist though,

D

Deleted member

A bit, but more focused on the earlier heroes.
-DQ1 Hero doesn't know lightning spells and is focused on fire-based ones
-DQ2 Hero doesn't know any spells for example
-Elemental Slash techniques like Gigaslash, Flame Slash, Metal Slash, which are common of the Hero class nowadays, were introduced in 5 so previous heroes didn't have access to them
-Mechanics that affected combat like Tension or Pep didn't appear in many titles
-Some games also allow one of the protagonists like in 8, to invoke monsters to his aid

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Aside from DQ2's protagonist, who can't use magic, not really. In Dragon Quest games, Hero is treated as a class in the same sense as Warrior or Thief, so most of them are all quite similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom