• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSxYtca6lU

This guy nearly predicted the entire Smash roster besides Richter and Ken.

In their place he had Elma and Erdrick. With such accurate predictions I wonder if Erdrick along with Elma will be DLC.

As I've said before, Dragon Quest is the next obvious Japanese third party franchise to add to Smash.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If I can't have Geno as the next Square character, a DQ rep is definitely my no 2 pick... and since I've only played the first three, I'd prefer it to be one i'm familiar with... of course if I could pick anyone, it'd be Dragon Lord, but it's silly to expect a villain in before a protagonist. Erdrick is a huge presence in the first game, and then the big reveal in the third game, and if you ask me, he has the best design of all the viable heroes.

Plus, I'd love to see this troll moment play out.

Sakurai: We have a very special guest to introduce this next character, please introduce yourself.

"Hey there I'm Akira Toriyama, creator of the hit Manga sereis, Dragon Ball. I designed this character and worked extra hard with Sakurai San to make him fit in with Smash. Please take a look!" *close up of Erdrick's face that slowly pans out*

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sakurai: We have a very special guest to introduce this next character, please introduce yourself.

"Hey there I'm Akira Toriyama, creator of the hit Manga sereis, Dragon Ball. I designed this character and worked extra hard with Sakurai San to make him fit in with Smash. Please take a look!" *close up of Erdrick's face that slowly pans out*
So many furious reactions...I love it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If I can't have Geno as the next Square character, a DQ rep is definitely my no 2 pick... and since I've only played the first three, I'd prefer it to be one i'm familiar with... of course if I could pick anyone, it'd be Dragon Lord, but it's silly to expect a villain in before a protagonist. Erdrick is a huge presence in the first game, and then the big reveal in the third game, and if you ask me, he has the best design of all the viable heroes.

Oh ****, I actually choked laughing at that.
That's good.
That's DAMN good.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

LMAO I had thought of the exact same thing (camera starting with an extreme close up on Hero's face, and then slowly panning out) but not the bit about Akira Toriyama, that would be pure genius! :D

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hey, could I please be added to the support list? I've supported our boy in blue since Smash 4 DLC, but kind of gave up on him after Cloud got in. I recently picked up Dragon Quest VIII again, so I've got Dragon Quest on the brain, and I still think he would be excellent third party.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I've never played a DQ game in my life, but I think I might have to correct that soon. After reading the OP and brushing up on basic knowledge of the franchise, this Erdrick guy makes sense as the character choice just as much as DQ makes sense as the next Square series entering Smash.

I love Akira Toriyama, the classic Dragon Ball manga, and Chrono Trigger. His unique flavor would be excellent for Smash's variety.

I'm also going to look at the 3DS DQ remakes and see where I should jump in.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Personal bias wise, i'd prefer DQ8 hero but I can understand Erdrick being in before any one else. Who knows, maybe they could do just like a general "hero" character with alts being other DQ main characters and even have other ones like the 11 hero and Terry since they can all use a sword and shield (and smash isn't scared to break canon to get characters in like Simon and Richter using each others moves). Just feel like thats something they could actually do with dragon quest vs say final fantasy.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet

LMAO that'd be amazing, I really hope they go for something like that if he does get in

Also, something I thought of was the music we'd get if a Dragon Quest character got in. I know earlier in the thread I said that the music was kinda meh, but after listening to music from various DQ games, my opinion has changed, I love the music. Considering it's Square Enix we're talking about, I doubt we'd get much (two final fantasy songs lol)
I wonder what songs we'd get though? I think we'd get the battle theme for sure, and I hope they go with the Dragon Quest V battle music personally, but I'm fine with whatever. If we only get 2 songs though, what would the other one be? Maybe they'll pull a Final Fantasy and give us the normal battle music and the boss music as the second song, lol. What songs do you guys think we'd get though?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
A Dragon Quest fighter is not in my top 5 most wanted, but DQ is basically the father of RPG games on consoles. This is why I would prefere Eldrick over Sora or any other Square characters.

Good luck gentlemans!

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I usually think that slime is the best DQ rep for smashbros, but i've been coming around to the idea of Erdrick being the DQ rep lately (especially since he is one of the few that can be either male or female). Besides, I would take any DQ character in smash so more people can become aware of this amazing franchise. I support.

LMAO that'd be amazing, I really hope they go for something like that if he does get in

Also, something I thought of was the music we'd get if a Dragon Quest character got in. I know earlier in the thread I said that the music was kinda meh, but after listening to music from various DQ games, my opinion has changed, I love the music. Considering it's Square Enix we're talking about, I doubt we'd get much (two final fantasy songs lol)
I wonder what songs we'd get though? I think we'd get the battle theme for sure, and I hope they go with the Dragon Quest V battle music personally, but I'm fine with whatever. If we only get 2 songs though, what would the other one be? Maybe they'll pull a Final Fantasy and give us the normal battle music and the boss music as the second song, lol. What songs do you guys think we'd get though?
I think if DQ is another 2 song scenario like FF, one of the songs would definitely be the DQ main theme. If Erdrick would be the one to represent DQ, I think the other song would be Adventure since it is one of the most memorable songs in DQ3 and the song that players hear the most during the average play through.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I think if DQ is another 2 song scenario like FF, one of the songs would definitely be the DQ main theme. If Erdrick would be the one to represent DQ, I think the other song would be Adventure since it is one of the most memorable songs in DQ3 and the song that players hear the most during the average play through.
The reason I didn't pick the main theme is because the songs we'd get with a Dragon Quest character would be the songs that play on their stage as well, during a match. Seeing as the Final Fantasy theme didn't get in, I don't think the Dragon Quest theme will either (if we're only getting 2 songs)
I could see Adventure though, it isn't too hard to imagine a match going on with Adventure in the background.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Added [Maple], Gran-Rojo, and toonito to the list of supporters. Also edited the quote in the introduction (the spoiler wasn't visible)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If Erdrick or Eight became dlc that would be ****ing hype as hell.

I definitely support this guy.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So it seems Vergeben, the most reliable leaker right now, has a list of 7 names that he heard about the Square rep from his sources, and one of those is Erdrick!

The full list goes as follows:

- Sephiroth
- Crono
- Erdrick
- Luminary (DQXI)
- Slime
- Geno
- Sora (he was told this one is NOT it)

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
So it seems Vergeben, the most reliable leaker right now, has a list of 7 names that he heard about the Square rep from his sources, and one of those is Erdrick!

- Sephiroth
- Crono
- Erdrick
- Luminary (DQXI)
- Slime
- Geno
No Final Fantasy characters from games besides VII? Didn't expect that.

Glad Erdrick is on the list, though.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet

- Sephiroth
- Crono
- Erdrick
- Luminary (DQXI)
- Slime
- Geno
I see Crono as pretty unlikely, and Sephiroth as well seeing as people want a character from another Square franchise, so I don't think they'd put two FF characters in, especially from the same Final Fantasy
And
Geno is already a spirit, so if spirits do deconfirm, then a Dragon Quest character is the most likely

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I see Crono as pretty unlikely, and Sephiroth as well seeing as people want a character from another Square franchise, so I don't think they'd put two FF characters in, especially from the same Final Fantasy
And
Geno is already a spirit, so if spirits do deconfirm, then a Dragon Quest character is the most likely
I don't think you speak for everyone when you say that people want a character from another Square franchise. You're probably a bit biased, given that you frequent this thread.

I think it's likely that there are a sizable number of Final Fantasy fans who would love to see Cecil Harvey or one of the protagonists of Final Fantasy VI.

I agree that people wanting another character from Final Fantasy VII is unlikely, though.

As for Crono, why do you see him as unlikely? Even if the game is over 20 years old it is incredibly popular. Cloud got in and he suffers from the same issue (the game he comes from is practically ancient and so he isn't as popular as he once was), so why not Crono? The Chrono series having not seen a game in almost two decades is not a real excuse.

I'm not saying that Erdrick isn't likely or that I wouldn't love to see him, just playing the devil's advocate. There are plenty of alternatives.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It'd be really wise for Square Enix to put in Luminary if they REALLY want to push 11 worldwide. With the game supposedly coming out next year on switch they can be like "Enjoy him in smash? Cool play the game he's in."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think you speak for everyone when you say that people want a character from another Square franchise. You're probably a bit biased, given that you frequent this thread.

I think it's likely that there are a sizable number of Final Fantasy fans who would love to see Cecil Harvey or one of the protagonists of Final Fantasy VI.
Well **** them. They already have a character.

Cloud got in and he suffers from the same issue (the game he comes from is practically ancient and so he isn't as popular as he once was)
His game is ancient, but his series isn't. And he's STILL the most popular character from that franchise. Also, his remake was announced just before he was added to the game.

It'd be really wise for Square Enix to put in Luminary if they REALLY want to push 11 worldwide. With the game supposedly coming out next year on switch they can be like "Enjoy him in smash? Cool play the game he's in."
If Nintendo wanted to turn Smash into a commercial for other company's games, instead of a collection of video game icons, sure.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman

His game is ancient, but his series isn't. And he's STILL the most popular character from that franchise. Also, his remake was announced just before he was added to the game.

If Nintendo wanted to turn Smash into a commercial for other company's games, instead of a collection of video game icons, sure.
Yeah you get DQ series in smash and they get to advertise the series they publish in the west, its a win win!

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman

Street Fighter and Castlevania have two characters now, so there's nothing saying there can't be two Final Fantasy characters. I understand you don't like the idea, and that's fine. I don't think you're dismissing it out of hand, but if you are, please keep in mind that I don't really like the idea either.

Also, yes, his series isn't, but Final Fantasy VII takes place in a completely different universe compared to most Final Fantasy games, just like any other. He is the most popular character from that franchise, yes, but I imagine that the Chrono series is about as well known among FInal Fantasy fans, and Crono just as popular. His remake being announced is a good point, but last I checked it's stuck in development hell. Of course if the DLC rosters was decided on before the game came out, then that's a moot point, but if it was not, then that's something Sakurai is likely going to consider.

One thing I definitely agree on is that Final Fantasy fans are probably itching for a character from another Final Fantasy game - not a character from Final Fantasy VII like Sephiroth. So Sephiroth is unlikely, in my book, and that list doesn't contain any other Final Fantasy characters, so if Vergeben is right, it's probably going to be someone else on that list-such as say, Erdrick.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Street Fighter and Castlevania have two characters now
No, they have one character, and one echo. That's not the same thing.

I imagine that the Chrono series is about as well known among FInal Fantasy fans, and Crono just as popular.
There's simply no way that's true. There are people who are Final Fantasy fans now that weren't even born when Chrono Trigger came out. What you are describing only applies to a very specific generation of gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chrono Trigger more than any individual Final Fantasy game, but that series does not even have a fraction of Final Fantasy's popularity.

One thing I definitely agree on is that Final Fantasy fans are probably itching for a character from another Final Fantasy game - not a character from Final Fantasy VII like Sephiroth.
If I had to pick another FF character, personally, I'd pick Black Mage.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
No, they have one character, and one echo. That's not the same thing.

There's simply no way that's true. There are people who are Final Fantasy fans now that weren't even born when Chrono Trigger came out. What you are describing only applies to a very specific generation of gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chrono Trigger more than any individual Final Fantasy game, but that series does not even have a fraction of Final Fantasy's popularity.

If I had to pick another FF character, personally, I'd pick Black Mage.
One character and one echo isn't the same thing no, but I think whether or not a character is an echo character matters mostly in terms of development time, since Sakurai doesn't think in terms of slots. Point is, if he's willing to license two Street Fighter characters, or two Castlevania characters, then he's willing to license two Final Fantasy characters-and in that case, since this is DLC happening post development, if fans want to see a Final Fantasy character enough, he'll add them. Characters aren't competing as directly as they were when the game itself was in development, not just additional content.

As for your comment that Chrono Trigger isn't just as popular among Final Fantasy fans as Final Fantasy VII, namely because many fans weren't born when the game came out... the same thing is true for Final Fantasy VII. Yes, more players have played Final Fantasy VII, since that was when the genre was popularized, but a. I'm not sure that all of those people were Final Fantasy fans who would be dying to see Cloud in Super Smash Bros. and b. Chrono Trigger has had almost two decades of word of mouth, remakes. and ports going for it,.

I agree that Black Mage is a fair idea, but I'd personally prefer to see Erdrick. I mean, I did start this thread. I've basically been saying that I don't think a Final Fantasy character is unlikely, not that I'd want a Final Fantasy character added.

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I mean, you aren't wrong lol, I'm just saying I hear most people say that they want Sora or Geno (and in our case, a Dragon Quest character though we are the minority) and I'm sure there's a small minority who want another Final Fantasy character, but as you said yourself I feel like another FF character from FFVII and not, say FFVI is unlikely, I don't think they'd pick two characters from the same game as the reps in smash for a series as big as Final Fantasy. I personally think they'd pick the protag from FFVI or as DarthEnder said, Black Mage

As for Crono, why do you see him as unlikely? Even if the game is over 20 years old it is incredibly popular. Cloud got in and he suffers from the same issue (the game he comes from is practically ancient and so he isn't as popular as he once was), so why not Crono? The Chrono series having not seen a game in almost two decades is not a real excuse.
I find him unlikely, since his game isn't as big as Final Fantasy in the west, which revived RPGs here, or Dragon Quest in Japan, which, quite literally, invented the genre. Cloud is from one of, if not the most popular RPG ever, and one of the most popular games of all time, and yes Crono Trigger is big and has a cult following, but it isn't on the same scale as Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. You could say the same for other characters like Geno, but Geno has a ton of requests from fans to be in Smash, and I haven't seen nearly as much requests for Crono as Geno or Sora.

I don't think they would do that, but to be fair they did do that with Corrin, and with how stingy Square Enix is being in terms of Smash, I could honestly see them doing something like that; only putting a character in for commercial sakes and if they got something out of it

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I agree that Black Mage is a fair idea, but I'd personally prefer to see Erdrick.
Well obviously I would to. The situation was "If I HAD to pick another FF character". I'd rather another series gets repped instead, and DQ is my #1 pick for next SE series.

I don't think they would do that, but to be fair they did do that with Corrin
Sure, but that's their OWN character, and Sakurai doesn't even like it when Nintendo makes him do that.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they would do that, but to be fair they did do that with Corrin, and with how stingy Square Enix is being in terms of Smash, I could honestly see them doing something like that; only putting a character in for commercial sakes and if they got something out of it
It is in Nintendo's interest to do it since they do publish the games here when its on their consoles, they did builders so it's a lot more reasonable than them just randomly advertising for Enix. They must KNOW Smash would help Dragon Quest get more traction here.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It is in Nintendo's interest to do it since they do publish the games here when its on their consoles
It's in their best interest AT THE MOMENT. But is it in their best interest long-term?

Does it make more sense to rep the latest release in a series in an attempt to boost sales of that thing, and potentially end up saddling Smash with a character that doesn't end up having any lasting impact? Or does it make more sense to pick the most iconic character from that franchise, who better represents the series as a whole, and will continue to do so if they show up again in future versions of Smash?

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It's in their best interest AT THE MOMENT. But is it in their best interest long-term?

Does it make more sense to rep the latest release in a series in an attempt to boost sales of that thing, and potentially end up saddling Smash with a character that doesn't end up having any lasting impact? Or does it make more sense to pick the most iconic character from that franchise, who better represents the series as a whole, and will continue to do so if they show up again in future versions of Smash?
Like i said before, they could honestly just add more than 1 character ala Olimar Alph style since they can all use Sword and Shield stuff with Magic. That's the thing that works with majority of DQ main heroes, its not like FF where you have something as drastic as Cloud in terms of design. That's why I think it'd be wise to at LEAST have Erdrick AND Luminary.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think they'd see it as one way or the other.
Promoting the character of the current game in the series IS thinking long term because never have they tried SO HARD to appeal to the western market as they have with DQXI, so if there's a game that will be easily accessible to almost every Nintendo fan (other than DQ8 3DS, but they already see it as a failure for some reason) and granted, they say it's among if not the best, then I believe it's a no-brainer decision. DQXI was made to be a LOT of people's first DQ game, which will lead them to the first three, and then onwards.

The only way for people to play as Erdrick in current-gen systems is on mobile devices. Unless you live in Japan where it still ranks high on 3DS I think.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I get exactly what you mean by having a character associated with the latest entry instead of the more iconic one. But TBF, for the majority of the western audience, whichever hero they go with, it'll be all the same to them.
--

Thread is so lit, might as well throw in my 2 cents.

Sephiroth: Unlikely. Square-Enix was already baffled by the request for Cloud. I don't think it's in Nintendo OR Square-Enix's best interest to go here. And since no other Final Fantasy name has been brought up, then I guess that's lights out for another Final Fantasy character.

Geno: This one is a special case. It has EVERYTHING going for him, except the VGA announcement thing. Neither Square-Enix nor Nintendo will waste billions of views for an obscure character that mostly only the Smash community is familiar with, and brings nothing else to the table (he's not attatched to any future game that's coming that would be worth announcing at VGA, unless Super Mario RPG 2 is happening). So I don't think of Geno as a long-term investment.

Luminary: A genius, albeit obvious marketing move. Dragon Quest could have it's cinderella moment at the VGAs and boldly take the stage with the protagonist of the latest DQ entry appearing in Smash as they announce a particular season when the game's coming out.

Slime: Similar to Luminary, Slime would indeed be a great marketing tool, with the added bonus that he's more universally known to both japanese and especially western gamers.

Erdrick: Probably the least known to the western public, but like Luminary, would be a genius move to force DQ into the spotlight worldwide. People will finally have a "face", or a relatable character to be the face of DQ, something that Slime has been doing for a while, but IMO fails to make people want to play DQ. Erdrick is the character that the audience needs, and the face that DQ deserves. :D

Crono: Similar to Sephiroth, Crono is an ancient character, from an ancient game. But Chrono Trigger is HUGE in game pop culture. Almost everyone knows him. It would be a tremendous sucker punch to have him in Smash. I wouldn't really put Chrono Trigger so far behind Final Fantasy. I know a LOT of people who have played CT who haven't played FF.

Sora: If he's REALLY gone, then things are boding well for us. He was a major threat.

Still, I'm not holding my breath for this. Vergebin could still be wrong. Not going to get Grinch-leaked again. Hoping for the best, though.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I haven't played DQ 11, would it be feasible to make Erdrick the main DQ DLC fighter, and make Luminary the Echo Fighter? I don't want any spoilers (I already ran into the fact that DQ 11 apparently has a big plot twist that apparently relates back to the older games, though I don't know what it is nor do I wanna know until DQ 11 comes to Switch), just a simple "yeah you could do it" or "nah, it's not feasible" would be okay.

Edit: To clarify, I know Sakurai said no Echo Fighters, but maybe he could twist it to mean that Echo Fighters are part of each fighter bundle free of charge, which is how I imagine they'd handle it should they decide to make a few new ones.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I figure all of or most of the Heroes could just be alts of each other. Either the original DQ1 Hero or Erdrick would be the default hero. That would make a lot of sense. At the very least I think the DQ1 Hero, Erdrick, Eight (does he have another name?) and The Luminary would all be playable this way.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played DQ 11, would it be feasible to make Erdrick the main DQ DLC fighter, and make Luminary the Echo Fighter? I don't want any spoilers (I already ran into the fact that DQ 11 apparently has a big plot twist that apparently relates back to the older games, though I don't know what it is nor do I wanna know until DQ 11 comes to Switch), just a simple "yeah you could do it" or "nah, it's not feasible" would be okay.

Edit: To clarify, I know Sakurai said no Echo Fighters, but maybe he could twist it to mean that Echo Fighters are part of each fighter bundle free of charge, which is how I imagine they'd handle it should they decide to make a few new ones.
That's how I would ever expect echoes as dlc, but honestly Sakurai made out they're bigger than we think, though a Simon/Richter situation seems pretty perfect and easy, those 2 only have like unique taunts and victory screens.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Just so you guys know, I am a firm supporter of Geno for a long time since brawl, but if Sakurai grants your wish of a dragon quest character making it in, I will congratulate you guys. I just hope for your sake square and Nintendo can jump through all the licensing hoops.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm all for Erdrick in Smash. Dragon Quest deserves to have a place in the Smash series.

D

Deleted member

Out of all the Dragon Quest protagonists I don't think Erdrick would be my first choice, but that said I would be happy with any DQ representation to begin with lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom