• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
So I've seen some leaks mention Erdrick as DLC. Not to put much mind to it, but the fact that people are willing to put him in fake leaks means he's getting some more recognition around the Smash community at least!

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
So I've seen some leaks mention Erdrick as DLC. Not to put much mind to it, but the fact that people are willing to put him in fake leaks means he's getting some more recognition around the Smash community at least!
Wait, really?! That's great! I haven't seen any myself yet, but it's good to know that there are other people requesting him as well! And who knows, if Vergiben really is telling the truth, that square enix rep could be Erdrick, maybe?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Wait, really?! That's great! I haven't seen any myself yet, but it's good to know that there are other people requesting him as well! And who knows, if Vergiben really is telling the truth, that square enix rep could be Erdrick, maybe?
Well, this is the source: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/437384319/

I'm not believing it since all 5 DLC characters are 3rd party. Also, knowing all 5 is suspicious.

Still, at least a fake leak gave Erdrick some attention!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I want AMERICA to give Erdrick some attention, not just Smash.

DQ11 is apparently the highest grossing opening release for an English language DQ, so there's hope. Maybe the future Switch release of DQ11 will further DQ's popularity a bit.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's an interesting article about Iwata and Dragon Quest almost exactly 10 years ago: https://nintendoeverything.com/iwata-wants-more-people-to-understand-the-appeal-of-dragon-quest/

I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture…even if that only turns out to be a single person.
It looks like Iwata was a really big Dragon Quest supporter.

Having Erdrick in Smash will no doubt help Dragon Quest's appeal worldwide, but another way to help out is by just playing the games and spreading the word!

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
There's no way this is real, sadly :( I will be shocked if it is, but this would be an incredible DLC lineup
I wonder if any Dragon Quest characters are requested heavily in Japan? I know Dragon Quest is a phenomenon over there, so it wouldn't shock me
It seems most picks for Ultimate though are more big in the west (with the exclusion of Richter I suppose), so I'd love for them to put a popular character in Japan and put them in Smash for a change of pace, preferably Erdrick, of course, but maybe some other character that's relatively unknown over here?
I think Geno has a high chance of being DLC though, and since Geno is a Square Enix character, and Erdrick is one too.... I don't think we'll get both of them, considering that would be 2/5 of the characters being Square Enix reps

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I used to think that if we got a Dragon Quest rep, it would be Erdrick, but Piranha Plant shows that Slime is eligible. I think it's a fifty/fifty, leaning toward Slime.
I think Erdrick has a shot though if they want DQ to be huge outside of Japan. Goku memes aside, Slime might be too weird and difficult for the average western fan to take seriously, while Erdrick's design might have the average western fan think "Wow he's cool!" (especially if they're fans of Toriyama works or Dragon Ball) and become more interested/curious about DQ. This isn't meant to disparage Slime in any way whatsoever, but just to suggest a scenario where Nintendo and Square Enix would lean more toward Erdrick instead of Slime when it comes to a Dragon Quest representative.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
While Slime is eligible, It's still hard to imagine it getting in over Erdrick. Possible sure, but I don't think it will.
Piranha Plant is only one case of a enemy becoming playable. On top of that, It seems to be this games joke character and is being treated as a bonus as well.

So yeah, I think Erdrick is by and large the likelier character for Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest in general seems like the most obvious series for DLC and is probably the most likely too.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
While I adore the idea of ANY DQ character in Smash. And I know, you know, Sakurai knows, and Japan knows DQ's importance to gaming.
I don't want to get my hopes up.
This last direct felt like a kick to the teeth. And I even tried getting my hopes as low as possible.

I don't want to come off as pessimistic, but I'm no longer that excited about speculating DLC.
In fact, this is the only thread I've visitted since that day.

Now. All that said, I Will add this.
The only Square-Enix content that I've seen other than Cloud and Midgar, was Geno's spirit.
It's not like SEGA with Akira's AT, or Capcom with Guile, and the barrage of spirits from both.
Square-Enix seems to be holding back on content. I find it suspicious.
At this point it's ridiculous to consider another AT from SE. Don't know about additional spirits. And don't know if an additional patch will add more.

Maybe it's because we'll get a double dose of SE characters. I don't know.
I expect nothing, tbh. But it's still fun to think about.

Edit: btw that leak? Ridiculously amazing to be true.

What makes sense about it is:
Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are huge in Japan.

And Bethesda having had a discussion with Nintendo regarding Smash.

Also the rumors of Banjo.

And yeah, that one time Dante popped up.

Although I Will add a tiny drop of hope. Smash 4 DLC ended on a relative high note.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Geno's presence as a Spirit and, since it's probably returning, Mii Costume shows that Nintendo and Square Enix has negotiated for more than just Final Fantasy content. So a Dragon Quest character could potentially be in development as DLC.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So Vergemin .... Vergebin... Mr.V has been going on about a Square-Enix character (or 2) running for DLC.
Personally, I don't think we'll get more than 1.
But toying with the idea that Geno was deconfirmed vía Spirit, I'll take it one step further.

What if the reason Isaac remained an AT is because Sakurai felt he was pushing it with the RPG Hero Swordsman trope... To make way for perhaps the most important jRPG Hero in Japan?

The "Don't expect too many characters" aligning with Square-Enix wanting to advertirse DQ in the west (as opposed to gaining nothing from Geno, or boosting sales for KH which hardly needs more exposure) could have paved the way for a DQ hero, thus
Sakurai prefers to prioritize an important 3rd party deal over a more obscurer jRPG that's been dormant for almost a decade.

This is me doing what I said I wouldn't be doing, but it's fun to speculate none the less.
I want to expect nothing, but it's hard to keep my head together, especially when rumors heavily point towards another SE character.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'd like to support. While I haven't actually been able to play DQ III I've been enjoying DQ VII and would love to see any form of DQ representation in Smash. Erdrick seems like the ideal DQ protagonist pick for Smash.

Calane

Smash Ace
So Vergemin .... Vergebin... Mr.V has been going on about a Square-Enix character (or 2) running for DLC.
But toying with the idea that Geno was deconfirmed vía Spirit, I'll take it one step further.

What if the reason Isaac remained an AT is because Sakurai felt he was pushing it with the RPG Hero Swordsman trope... To make way for perhaps the most important jRPG Hero in Japan?

The "Don't expect too many characters" aligning with Square-Enix wanting to advertirse DQ in the west (as opposed to gaining nothing from Geno, or boosting sales for KH which hardly needs more exposure) could have paved the way for a DQ hero, thus
Sakurai prefers to prioritize an important 3rd party deal over a more obscurer jRPG that's been dormant for almost a decade.

This is me doing what I said I wouldn't be doing, but it's fun to speculate none the less.
I want to expect nothing, but it's hard to keep my head together, especially when rumors heavily point towards another SE character.
Exactly. It just makes so much sense for a DQ hero to be the rumored Square-Enix DLC character.

Who knows if it'll actually happen, but it's looking more possible than ever before right now. I hate to set myself up for disappointment, but I'm honestly pretty hopeful about it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I've heard DQ is actually owned by Armor Project and not Square. Is that true? By the way, I feel like spirits don't deconfirm characters. The fact that Geno is a battle arena icon (and maybe spirit) only shows that Sakurai has the rights to use him.

If the Square rep turns out to be Geno or some other Square character I'll still be supporting Erdrick, as I feel there'll still be room for a character from one of the biggest franchises in Japan.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've heard DQ is actually owned by Armor Project and not Square. Is that true? By the way, I feel like spirits don't deconfirm characters. The fact that Geno is a battle arena icon (and maybe spirit) only shows that Sakurai has the rights to use him.

If the Square rep turns out to be Geno or some other Square character I'll still be supporting Erdrick, as I feel there'll still be room for a character from one of the biggest franchises in Japan.
You're not right, but you're not wrong.

See, Armor Studios la basically how Enix (as a developer studio) is now called, from my understanding, once they formed the merge.

And they are only involved as a studio when Dragon Quest games are made. So they're basically in charge of the RPGs. They're usually not involved with the non-rpg spinoffs or crossovers (such as Fortune Street).

So Armor Studios wouldn't be credited in Smash should a character appear.
Yuji Horii might be, in the credits.
Bird studios, and Koichi Sugiyama could potentially be added as rights holders.

If I Made a mistake, or missed anything, you're all welcome to correct me. :)

Calane

Smash Ace

From what I understand, Yuji Horii, the creator of Dragon Quest, heads his own company called Armor Project. That company has an "exclusive production contract" with Enix, which is now merged with Square.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what all of that means. To me, it sounds like Enix (now Square Enix) owns the series, but Armor Project makes the games. I could be wrong about that, though.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You're not right, but you're not wrong.

See, Armor Studios la basically how Enix (as a developer studio) is now called, from my understanding, once they formed the merge.

And they are only involved as a studio when Dragon Quest games are made. So they're basically in charge of the RPGs. They're usually not involved with the non-rpg spinoffs or crossovers (such as Fortune Street).

So Armor Studios wouldn't be credited in Smash should a character appear.
Yuji Horii might be, in the credits.
Bird studios, and Koichi Sugiyama could potentially be added as rights holders.

If I Made a mistake, or missed anything, you're all welcome to correct me. :)
From what I understand, Yuji Horii, the creator of Dragon Quest, heads his own company called Armor Project. That company has an "exclusive production contract" with Enix, which is now merged with Square.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what all of that means. To me, it sounds like Enix (now Square Enix) owns the series, but Armor Project makes the games. I could be wrong about that, though.
Thanks for the info! At the end of the day Sakurai can normally get a character if he really wants them, so I guess it depends on that.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I hate to set myself up for disappointment, but I'm honestly pretty hopeful about it.
Yeah, same. Hearing all of this I'm pretty hopeful for a DQ character as well, but if we don't get one I'll probably be pretty disappointed.

That's a good theory, actually! We don't know if Spirits deconfirm though, because some fighters have spirits, though I believe those are called fighter spirits? I think they showed that at the recent tournament. They can't be equipped like other spirits, they're just there as cool little collectibles I believe (Source on this is PushDustIn)
Mii Costumes also don't necessarily deconfirm characters either, as Chrom still has his, but I think that's because of them bringing the Smash 4 ones back. If Geno's is in the game, then I think that kinda lessens his chances.

On to the next possible SE rep, Sora. I think Sora is unlikely, since he is a Disney owned character, and getting permission from Disney seems like it'd be difficult. Plus, I couldn't see Sora getting in without any Disney characters, since Disney is basically half of Kingdom Hearts, and there is NO way that Mickey, Donald, Goofy, or any other Disney character can get in Smash.

On to the last, and in my opinion most likely (possible bias): A Dragon Quest rep
We know that Square Enix wants Dragon Quest to be big in the west as well, and what better way to do that than to be a DLC fighter for Smash, maybe releasing around the time Dragon Quest XI comes to Switch? I find it kinda odd that there isn't any Dragon Quest representation in Smash at all, considering it is basically the RPG in Japan, and the grandfather of most if not all JRPGs. Like, if Geno can get in as a spirit, why can't, say, a Slime get in as a spirit? I think that they're holding back Dragon Quest representation for DLC, and we might even get a spirit or two as part of the DLC? I know it just says a fighter, stage, and music but I don't think a Slime spirit would be super unlikely if Erdrick got in. My theory is maybe at the Game Awards, happening the night of December 6th, the day before Smash Ultimate is released, Nintendo will announce 2 things there. The first will be Dragon Quest XI's release date on Switch, since we have known that it was going to be on the Switch since day 1, even when it was still called the NX. The second thing they'll announce is Erdrick (or another DQ character, I just think Erdrick is the most likely) will come to Smash Ultimate as a DLC fighter around the same time when Dragon Quest XI releases. Maybe you could even get it free if you pre-order DQ XI or something? I doubt they'd do that lol but I think that'd be cool. Maybe this could also boost sales of the very recently announced Erdrick figurine lol

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there! I understand if you didn't read it all :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd like to support. While I haven't actually been able to play DQ III I've been enjoying DQ VII and would love to see any form of DQ representation in Smash. Erdrick seems like the ideal DQ protagonist pick for Smash.
Hey! New supporter draws near!
Welcome!
DQ7 was amazing. A lot of them are, but for some reason, I always want to replay DQ3 the most, so I hope you play it soon! I started loving the series because of it!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there! I understand if you didn't read it all :p
Well I did. It's nice to see other people's insights on the matter.
Especially since at times it feels like there's just a few of us!

In my head, it makes every sense of the world to have a DQ character as DLC, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Sora and Geno (to an extent) are still heavy competition.

Whoever's in charge at KH branch at Disney said that they would approve of Sora in Smash, that it depends on Nomura.
Fortunately, Nomura isn't the top dog at Square Enix, so it's really up to the CEO to consider it.

Still, let's be cautiously optimistic. A lot of factors could be at play behind the scenes.

However, to end this on a higher note, this video seems to perfectly explain why a SE character is possible, and why Geno wouldn't be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwJK7rWulk
It's impossible not to feel a little more possitive after watching this.
But still... Shields up for me just in case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This may be relevant to your Erdrick request (which I support whole-heartedly), but since it may be a spoiler, I've tagged it as such. Up to the Thread Creator to decide on this or not.

Should it be noted that by the end of Dragon Quest XI, the protagonist there also earns the title of Erdrick? Sorry, quick edit to rephrase; by the end of DQ XI's Post-Story, he earns the title of 'Erdrick'; not by the end of the main story. He could make a pretty could alt costume as such.

Last edited by a moderator:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
So now the final roster for the game has been announced. I thought for certain that once this happened the hammer would drop and we would stop gaining new supporters, but that is apparently not the case. I am personally surprised.

shinhed-ichi is right; it's difficult to see Erdrick getting into the game... but that doesn't mean that we should lose hope! It'd be an awesome moment for Dragon Quest in general. The main thing he has going for him is Vergeben's leaks. While his not have been confirmed, they have been accurate so far. He has stated that there would be two Square Enix characters, so it is possible that he could be a DLC character.

In other news...
This may be relevant to your Erdrick request (which I support whole-heartedly), but since it may be a spoiler, I've tagged it as such. Up to the Thread Creator to decide on this or not.

Should it be noted that by the end of Dragon Quest XI, the protagonist there also earns the title of Erdrick? Sorry, quick edit to rephrase; by the end of DQ XI's Post-Story, he earns the title of 'Erdrick'; not by the end of the main story. He could make a pretty could alt costume as such.
The protagonist of that game receiving the same title is news to me. That said, it's certainly plausible. The game is pretty new, but the two characters have a similar enough fighting style and body type that no changes would really need to be made in order to make him an alt costume. I could certainly see him as an alt costume if he shares the same name, yeah.

D

Deleted member

So now the final roster for the game has been announced. I thought for certain that once this happened the hammer would drop and we would stop gaining new supporters, but that is apparently not the case. I am personally surprised.

shinhed-ichi is right; it's difficult to see Erdrick getting into the game... but that doesn't mean that we should lose hope! It'd be an awesome moment for Dragon Quest in general. The main thing he has going for him is Vergeben's leaks. While his not have been confirmed, they have been accurate so far. He has stated that there would be two Square Enix characters, so it is possible that he could be a DLC character.

In other news...

The protagonist of that game receiving the same title is news to me. That said, it's certainly plausible. The game is pretty new, but the two characters have a similar enough fighting style and body type that no changes would really need to be made in order to make him an alt costume. I could certainly see him as an alt costume if he shares the same name, yeah.
Spoiler to follow
yeah, after going through everything; beating Calasmos, and such, you learn that the Ygdrassil tree was once a creature; a Dragon; that balanced light by fighting against Calasmos, but lost and was reincarnated as the tree to provide life to the once barren battlefield they fought upon. AFter that little history recap, she thanks you, and bestows upon you the title of 'Erdrick', which confused me since I had no idea 'Erdrick' was a title since VIII and XI were the only DQ's I had ever played.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's kinda hard to "give up" when we know for sure there's at least 5 more characters coming, none of them are echoes, and they each have new stages and music, which makes it very likely they're from new series.

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm sorry you like having your time disrespected.
Not sure what you mean by that. I enjoyed my time with the game from beginning to end.

If you're trying to insult me or something, then that's cool. I don't really care.

Calane

Smash Ace
No, just DQ7.
I see.

Look, I understand that you don't like DQ 7, but that doesn't make the game bad. You just don't like it, and that's okay. Other people do like it, so framing it as "one of the few that isn't good" is stating an opinion like an objective fact. That's why I told you to speak for yourself.

I respect the fact that you don't like it, but that doesn't make it a bad game. That's all I'm trying to say.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Look, I understand that you don't like DQ 7, but that doesn't make the game bad..
It does.

framing it as "one of the few that isn't good" is stating an opinion like an objective fact.
And yet, somehow, you understood the fact that it was an opinion without me having had to expressly tell you.

Do you think if someone doesn't preface their opinion of something with "In my opinion" that someone else is going to read that and not realize it's an opinion and assume it was a fact?

Or will they maybe, instead, read a subjective statement about the quality of a thing and just automatically know that it's an opinion like anyone over the age of 5 would do?

Calane

Smash Ace
It does.

And yet, somehow, you understood the fact that it was an opinion without me having had to expressly tell you.

Do you think if someone doesn't preface their opinion of something with "In my opinion" that someone else is going to read that and not realize it's an opinion and assume it was a fact?

Or will they maybe, instead, read a subjective statement about the quality of a thing and just automatically know that it's an opinion like anyone over the age of 5 would do?
It does not.

I was basically saying that you were being a jerk about your opinion.

You saying DQ 7 is bad doesn't make it so.

I'd appreciate it if you'd drop the arrogant tone or just stop replying to me. I don't want to argue with you.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In my experience there is no bad DQ game.

7 might drag at the beginning, but I found it amazing. It Made me care about every single town. I loved the music, honestly it's one of the best osts, and the Battles were great with the returning Class System from DQ6.

Let's not be at each others' throat over which is best/worst.
I personally found 9 the least enjoyable. 7 is somewhere down the middle, personally.
To each it's own.

Every minute spent in any DQ game is a minute well spent for me. :D

Calane

Smash Ace
In my experience there is no bad DQ game.

7 might drag at the beginning, but I found it amazing. It Made me care about every single town. I loved the music, honestly it's one of the best osts, and the Battles were great with the returning Class System from DQ6.

Let's not be at each others' throat over which is best/worst.
I personally found 9 the least enjoyable. 7 is somewhere down the middle, personally.
To each it's own.

Every minute spent in any DQ game is a minute well spent for me. :D
I really didn't mean to start anything. Opinions are opinions, but something about that guy's attitude annoys me a little. I'm willing to drop it if he is.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's been confirmed that Nintendo chose the line-up of DLC characters this time, and Sakurai is merely choosing who he thinks he can make movesets out of.

This implies to me that, specifically, Sakurai is choosing 5 characters from a larger pool of characters that Nintendo chose. And if Nintendo possibly chose third-party characters (likely, given how popular they are), then given the push Nintendo always gives toward Dragon Quest, perhaps we could get a DQ character after all.

Let's remain hopeful!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, if Nintendo is choosing then the chances of the Square rep being Dragon Quest whether it is Slime or Erdrick or pretty good. Though personally I'm hoping for Erdrick.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’ve had a really strong hunch about DQ in Smash for most of this speculation period. And if you ask me, things really seem to be lining up for you guys!

Vergeben has about as perfect of a track record as possible when it comes to Smash leakers, and since he seems very persistent about a new SE character in Smash, that is an incredibly good sign. To me, that would point to Geno, Sora, a second FF character, or Dragon Quest.

...But given the most recent tweet made by Sakurai, I would say a Dragon Quest character most certainly makes the most sense. Nintendo adores Dragon Quest, and unlike Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy is very consistently supported on Nintendo consoles, with DQXI due for the Switch anytime now.

Sadly for Geno fans, I don’t really see any reason why Nintendo would want to promote such a character, unless some crazy Sakurai magic was pulled. And similarly, as cool as KH is, I also don’t see why Nintendo would have much interest in having Sora in Smash either. Unless a surprise KHIII port comes out of nowhere, or if SE specifically requested his inclusion, which is possible. Otherwise, it would seem like a pretty silly thing for them to go out of there way to do.

Now another possibility is simply a second Final Fantasy rep, which in all honesty does have some good merit. After all, we are getting a ton of previously exclusive FF games ported over to Switch, including FFXV pocket edition. FF also has a vast cast of characters that would be perfect for Smash, like Sephiroth, Aerith, or even Black Mage or Terra who have always been iconic to Nintendo. And given how much people adored Cloud in Smash, it would make sense for them to want to want to go beyond that.

However, while on paper it might make a lot of sense, I really doubt that this would ever be a priority. Considering how seldom we get secondary reps for third party series, with the only two we have currently being echoes, I don’t think a second FF rep would be that important. Not in the face of a second Sonic, or Mega Man rep which we still don’t have.

So yeah, I feel like Dragon Quest is looking really good, and I’m really hoping for it to pull through. With it being one of the most iconic gaming franchises of all time, one of the most influential names in gaming, a mainstream name in Japan, and an incredibly closely tied game to Nintendo. It has everything you would need to be in the biggest crossover in gaming.

And with Isaac being an assist an all, I’m hoping for at least one classic JRPG protagonist to pull through. And what better place to go than the grandfather of all turn based RPGs?

Oddball

Smash Lord
If Erdrick did get in, I'd much rather see him in the blue legendary armor. I think that's a bit more of an iconic look and represents the first few games rather than just the one.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Erdrick did get in, I'd much rather see him in the blue legendary armor. I think that's a bit more of an iconic look and represents the first few games rather than just the one.
I say give him both, like Cloud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom