• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

M. Lutreola

Smash Rookie
Definitely not above you. Don't even look up.
You probly dont get the feel of the game yet thats the essential reason why you have these two problem however for the first question try useing Jabs to annoy them and try recovery air dodge, Dair, i bet ou sometime fall of the stage while try to recover but dont worry u will get the hang of :)
Thanks! Right after I posted I was trying some stuff and I found Nair & a fastfall to be handy most of the time. Due to the Wiimote & Nunchuk's odd control layout I am hindered and haven't found the air dodge yet.

I understand the game enough; and have played all the SSB games. It's most likely the controller. I play on the PC most of the time and when I play on a "console" system I prefer to have one controller in one piece and wired to prevent interference. The GC's Controller is nice for me; I'll get one sooner or later.

I play mostly against the CPU because it's not my Wii (I'll get one eventually) Ironically the owner of it hardly plays SSBB...

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
A couple quick questions:
-How do I deal with grabby opponents?
-How do I get out of an opponent hitting me up in the air, then staying below me and Utilting or Usmashing me over and over and over and over? It's very frustrating.

Any bit of info/ideas/suggestions will help!
If these have been covered before link it for me.
Fighting a CPU, eh? They have perfect timing which is why they can grab and groundhog so well. I know what you are going through.

1. short-hop aerials (Nair), don't provoke the bot into grabbing you (i.e. OR e.g. don't hit their shield, particularly in shieldgrab range, with a committed attack: i.e. one you can't end quickly to get out of grab range, e.g. rapid standard A combo, ftilt and fsmash at close range instead of spaced)

2. Before you land, jump to fake them out and they might commit to an attack and you can land to their side. Otherwise, you have to master air-to-ground ground-to-air counter-timing.

Next you'll be asking how to deal with an opponent (i.e. the CPU) who edgeguards by spacing themselves away from the ledge just far away enough to deal with almost any approach with a forward smash (**** Wario's Super Armor Frames!).

The answer to that is either A) to stall with WoI until they come close enough so that you can ledgehop Uair and regrab the ledge, B) ledgehop away, arrow and regrab if their smash doesn't go far and C) ledgehop to fairs and bairs repeatedly (1, 2, 3, regrab). There's more than that but those are some ideas.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you should. I usually play with people worse then me, so I just play around with my MS from time-to-time. I'm pretty sure it's true, because you can punish much easier from a SH-MS, or so it seems.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
You'll definitely be more susceptible from underneath your shield though. For example, I full jump into a mirror shield to try and reflect Meowth's attack but fail.

Also, what you mean to ask is if there's less ending lag if performing it in the air and finishing it before you hit the ground.

Addendum: Re: woody's question about Lucario-approach-stuffing: Hunt for Pit vs. Lucario videos. If there are none to your liking: congratulations, you'll become a pioneer in Pit vs. Lucario match-up pwnage.

Addendum 2: Okay, in retrospect, I could be more helpful. As some players might suggest, wingdash to space. It's simple: find their weaknesses and exploit them. Hit them from the side when they're using the Dair, air-dodge when they plan to Wall of Pain Fairs, and I think their Bair is a killing move like Pit's.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
You'll definitely be more susceptible from underneath your shield though. For example, I full jump into a mirror shield to try and reflect Meowth's attack but fail.

Also, what you mean to ask is if there's less ending lag if performing it in the air and finishing it before you hit the ground.

Addendum: Re: woody's question about Lucario-approach-stuffing: Hunt for Pit vs. Lucario videos. If there are none to your liking: congratulations, you'll become a pioneer in Pit vs. Lucario match-up pwnage.

Addendum 2: Okay, in retrospect, I could be more helpful. As some players might suggest, wingdash to space. It's simple: find their weaknesses and exploit them. Hit them from the side when they're using the Dair, air-dodge when they plan to Wall of Pain Fairs, and I think their Bair is a killing move like Pit's.
This is some good advice however, what do you guys think about Pit vs Falco? I have discover a way to really kill falco but haven't really test it yet

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
At Drag0n:
Yes, I agree you would be more susceptible to attacks from underneath, but I was thinking only of utilizing SH MS only for turning attacks around; I wouldn't have to worry about beneath me if I was successful anyway. And yes, that is a good way to word it.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
This is some good advice however, what do you guys think about Pit vs Falco? I have discover a way to really kill falco but haven't really test it yet
Edgeguard - full stop.

Re: Phaigne: that's my point. If you get hit from underneath by the attack, it's pointless, no? Eh, whatevs, yo, G.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
ban FD, go to lylat or maybe even Battlefield. camp the platforms till over 30 and stay away from ledges till over 40 and go all out on edge guarding him..other then that just out play him since his CG is ineffective with that strategy.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
ban FD, go to lylat or maybe even Battlefield. camp the platforms till over 30 and stay away from ledges till over 40 and go all out on edge guarding him..other then that just out play him since his CG is ineffective with that strategy.
Not quit, i never ahd problem beating falco on FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSzDZJs51s
read the comment

However the strategy is to stay at the edge i mean turn your back to the edge that way he cant use fantaism and went he try to short hop lazer u use down b and dont just hold down b use it reactively i mean as soon as you see him jump press and release, went he come in rage ftilt or angel ring he will eventuall go for is reflector and thats where u know he cant do anything. Neverthless this is just part of it i will add the rest in my absolute wingdash soon and show u guys a video becase wingdashing will be a key part of it.

Falco is no bitter than Pit

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Not quit, i never ahd problem beating falco on FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSzDZJs51s
read the comment

However the strategy is to stay at the edge i mean turn your back to the edge that way he cant use fantaism and went he try to short hop lazer u use down b and dont just hold down b use it reactively i mean as soon as you see him jump press and release, went he come in rage ftilt or angel ring he will eventuall go for is reflector and thats where u know he cant do anything. Neverthless this is just part of it i will add the rest in my absolute wingdash soon and show u guys a video becase wingdashing will be a key part of it.

Falco is no bitter than Pit
well idk what the skill level the falco's are your playing, but its an easy CG to the edge spike footstool and then if you fly under the stage he'll drop and shoot you with a laser or if you fly back around him he can just shoot you or bair of the ledge..if you camp it he'll just approach with jumps tricking you to keep the shield out because if you put it away he'll just pop you with a laser and then he grabs to either a pivot or a spike..the matchup is difficult

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
well idk what the skill level the falco's are your playing, but its an easy CG to the edge spike footstool and then if you fly under the stage he'll drop and shoot you with a laser or if you fly back around him he can just shoot you or bair of the ledge..if you camp it he'll just approach with jumps tricking you to keep the shield out because if you put it away he'll just pop you with a laser and then he grabs to either a pivot or a spike..the matchup is difficult
All of that is true, anytime i got spike by falco out of the edge 80% of the time i com back on the stage why? Pit bair as more priority than Falco secondly jump tricker can easy be avoid i will show you whay i am talk about.

I am ganna setup by dazzle to get the replay where i discover this

M. Lutreola

Smash Rookie
Fighting a CPU, eh? They have perfect timing which is why they can grab and groundhog so well. I know what you are going through.

1. short-hop aerials (Nair), don't provoke the bot into grabbing you (i.e. OR e.g. don't hit their shield, particularly in shieldgrab range, with a committed attack: i.e. one you can't end quickly to get out of grab range, e.g. rapid standard A combo, ftilt and fsmash at close range instead of spaced)

2. Before you land, jump to fake them out and they might commit to an attack and you can land to their side. Otherwise, you have to master air-to-ground ground-to-air counter-timing.

Next you'll be asking how to deal with an opponent (i.e. the CPU) who edgeguards by spacing themselves away from the ledge just far away enough to deal with almost any approach with a forward smash (**** Wario's Super Armor Frames!).

The answer to that is either A) to stall with WoI until they come close enough so that you can ledgehop Uair and regrab the ledge, B) ledgehop away, arrow and regrab if their smash doesn't go far and C) ledgehop to fairs and bairs repeatedly (1, 2, 3, regrab). There's more than that but those are some ideas.
My brother doesn't do the 1 on 1 thing which I love so I'm stuck with the CPU. He likes the 3 on 1 thing; me being the 1 and him and 2 other people. I dislike it; especially when he gets a Final Smash or assist trophy. He plays as Ike. That's why I turn items off when playing the CPU.

I certainly will work on timing and the like... short hops are very awkward with the Wiimote and Nunchuk unfortunately. Don't get me wrong it's a great controller. But I don't like it for Brawl. The fun I'll have when I get my summer job and buy a Wii and a GC controller... and Brawl... Sorry :chuckle:

Thanks! I certainly will remember your advice!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Your brother is a noob who's scared to lose in a classic competititve 1v1, which happens to be my thing too.
CPUs learn overtime as you continue to play them though. Actually, I've been trying to teach my CPU Pit some SH N-airs.

And Pit shouldnt recover from spikes well due to his horrible Meteor cancelling Sakurai gave him...

woody72691

Smash Ace
well this might sound stupid but it has been annoying. how do u glide?? what i've been doing is wiggling the control stick side to side to glide?? is that the right way or is there a another way

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
well this might sound stupid but it has been annoying. how do u glide?? what i've been doing is wiggling the control stick side to side to glide?? is that the right way or is there a another way
Hold X or Y on any jump after the ground-to-air jump, i.e. a multi-jump. That's the only other way.

Afropony

Smash Lord
what controller do you play with Woody? if it's a GC controller reread what Drg0n feather just said, if it isn't then you have to do the weird thing where you wriggle the pad sideways.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
GC Controller
Hold the X or Y button while doing your first, second or third mid-air jump to make Pit glide. Use down or up to make Pit go that way. The more you descend, the more u can go back up. To cancel gliding, press X or Y while gliding. You can attack using the A button. Pressing the A button just before u hit the ground is a glide cancel that can allow you to slide on the floor a bit.

Do take note though. If you glide on your last midair jump, if you attack or cancel the glide (with X or Y), you'll be left vulnerable, as if the timer on Pit's Up-B ran out, and you can't use Up-B at all... well, unless the opponent hits you of course.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Learn about the lagless ground-lag of the glide attack, glideshifting and you can glide cancel with the B button. I found this very useful.

M. Lutreola

Smash Rookie
Your brother is a noob who's scared to lose in a classic competititve 1v1, which happens to be my thing too.
CPUs learn overtime as you continue to play them though. Actually, I've been trying to teach my CPU Pit some SH N-airs.
lol Yeah he has said himself that I've played the game more than 3 times as much as he has. About true I think.

I didn't know the CPU learned... that's pretty cool. Until it gets ridiculously good.

I just got a wired (Platinum!) GC controller. My Pit is happy now. Much better.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
I think this question might be alittle too long, but what exactly should I do against the Ice Climbers? It is my least knowledgeable matchup and I don't really know what to do, besides predict and not get grabbed.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I think this question might be alittle too long, but what exactly should I do against the Ice Climbers? It is my least knowledgeable matchup and I don't really know what to do, besides predict and not get grabbed.
I would suggest to try using your aerial game a lot more, along with quicker, less laggy attacks that will less likely be punished by one of the ice climbers. Alongside that, over-B seems to be quite useful against them, but I don't play IC's very often.

Watch for the match up discussion.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
I would suggest to try using your aerial game a lot more, along with quicker, less laggy attacks that will less likely be punished by one of the ice climbers. Alongside that, over-B seems to be quite useful against them, but I don't play IC's very often.

Watch for the match up discussion.
Yeah that's the same problem i have, lack of knowledge. Thanks though, I'll be sure to look out for it.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
I couldn't seem to find this anywhere, so..
What attacks does pit have that will attack through the sheild, or 'shield-poke'

Top Bottom