• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean that seriously.

That'd seem pretty childish.
Sorry if it felt like I was putting you on blast, then. I just know how it feels when people do that and I think knowing that it can happen is one of the reasons people are so personal in Smash discussion.

...The meltdowns if Shantae got in would be pretty spectacular, though.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Sorry if it felt like I was putting you on blast, then. I just know how it feels when people do that and I think knowing that it can happen is one of the reasons people are so personal in Smash discussion.

...The meltdowns if Shantae got in would be pretty spectacular, though.
But you do know that the other big 3rd parties like Ubisoft, Konami, and Microsoft want a rep, right?

That's how a campaign-esque thing works. If you don't promote yourself constantly, no matter how shameless and annoying it is, nobody's going to care about voting for you. :/

Out of all the 3rd parties and/or indies present, Shantae, CommanderVideo (as they are the indies with the longest Nintendo legacy, along with CV having a trophy), and Rayman have a chance.

Putting in a character from a 2nd party of Microsoft would backfire on Nintendo, business-wise.

I'm also not sure that Nintendo wants to reward Konami for their recent decisions and business practices. (Pachinko Machines, poor working conditions, etc.)

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
But you do know that the other big 3rd parties like Ubisoft, Konami, and Microsoft want a rep, right?

That's how a campaign-esque thing works. If you don't promote yourself constantly, no matter how shameless and annoying it is, nobody's going to care about voting for you. :/
Every company wants a character in Smash. It's free advertising. Any third party character that gets in is going to stay relevant every time Smash is brought up. But few companies are actually pushing as hard as WayForward is, and I think at some point, it became clear that they are extremely thirsty for this. I really want Shantae, but I also want to be happy with anyone else we get, and more than that I want to be realistic. Watching them constantly try to drum up hype for something that I really don't consider that likely is kind of frustrating, because I think they're setting up for a fall. That's actually one of the reasons I want this to pay off.
Out of all the 3rd parties and/or indies present, Shantae, CommanderVideo (as they are the indies with the longest Nintendo legacy, along with CV having a trophy), and Rayman have a chance.
That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I feel like long Nintendo legacies are mostly a fan criteria for 3rd party characters and not something that the actual roster reflects very strongly.
Putting in a character from a 2nd party of Microsoft would backfire on Nintendo, business-wise.

I'm also not sure that Nintendo wants to reward Konami for their recent decisions and business practices. (Pachinko Machines, poor working conditions, etc.)
I agree that Nintendo probably doesn't want Banjo (unfortunately) but I don't think that they really care if Konami's making Pachinko machines, or console games, or apps, or whatever. I don't think any Konami characters have much of a shot (again, unfortunately) but just because fans are mad at them doesn't mean that everyone else is. If one of their characters were a really popular pick and there wasn't too much red tape around them, I bet Nintendo would go for it.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I feel like long Nintendo legacies are mostly a fan criteria for 3rd party characters and not something that the actual roster reflects very strongly.
If it isn't that, it's Wayforward's and Gaijin Game's/Choice Provision's contribution to Nintendo's digital game services.

Bit.Trip was a fantastic original series for WiiWare, which was critically and financially successful.

Wayforward's titles, such as Mighty Flip Champs, Milky Way, and Shantae: Risky's Revenge were certainly the greatest games in the shovelware dump that was DSiWare.

Both companies are still doing good work for the eShop.

The fact that Nintendo had Shantae and CommanderVideo have a brief cameo in WarioWare DIY and Wayforward having constant coverage in Nintendo Power helps.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Shantae just keeps leaping forward, doesn't she?

Can we post this on the other threads if they get salty when Shantae wins?
Hands down the best thing to come out of Sonic Shorts.
Well, if we're heading in this direction... I have a request to any artists in the thread.

I'd like a "drinking your tears" memepic with Shantae drinking from a magic lamp. Feel free to be creative with the method of drinking (straw through the top lid, straw through the spout, drinking like one of those classical teacup things, etc.).

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I didn't mean that seriously.

This is true. If a company doesn't let us know "Hey my character exists!" then the chances for their inclusion drops.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, if we're heading in this direction... I have a request to any artists in the thread.

I'd like a "drinking your tears" memepic with Shantae drinking from a magic lamp. Feel free to be creative with the method of drinking (straw through the top lid, straw through the spout, drinking like one of those classical teacup things, etc.).
I'm not intending to go that direction, it's just a joke.

Shantae and the fans get enough backlash for pointless nonsense anyway :/

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

HNNNNGH

All these Shantae plushies and crafts that have been popping up recently are way too cute... I can't wait for the Amiibo.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

To be honest, wouldn't Nintendo be promoting their own characters for the ballot just the same if they weren't first party?... lol XD

They would want as many of their own IPs a part of all of this as possible.. The only reason that probably stops them from doing something like that, is the fact that their IPs are first party anyway, and they have control over them...

But I'll tell you, I can bet you a million dollars if a character like say Mario (in a scenario where he wasn't already in Smash for some reason, whatever the case) weren't in smash, and they wanted him added as DLC.. they would push and campaign him to death XD

Anyway.. lets just all be happy that most of the big name flagship first parties are already in Smash bros..

I have doubts a lot of the campaigns would be able to compete if the likes of Kirby, Samus, Link, etc hadn't been in smash yet, and had a chance to campaign......

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
How to instantly fail at making a Smash Bros leak:

1. Forget that multiple color palettes exist
image.jpg

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
How to instantly fail at making a Smash Bros leak:

1. Forget that multiple color palettes exist
View attachment 75575
2. Forget to rig facial expressions... Seriously in all of the screenshots of that "leak", Rayman's face doesn't move at ALL XD... Which clearly exposes it as the trophy model rigged up to be playable.. lol

Then again, with that constant smiling.. There's another Smash 3rd Party character that would be a great pal to him... :4pacman:

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It hardly means much, especially when some guys think he's a schmuck, but Etika revealed in a tweet that he went with Shantae for his vote.

It's the thought that counts, I guess.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
"Hey Shantae fans! I hope you don’t mind my hijacking today’s Backer Update. But with only a few days left in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, it seemed like a worthy cause. First, we’d like to say thank you to everyone for voting to include Shantae’s in the Super Smash Bros. series. Numerous independent polls have placed her near the top of the list of hopefuls! We don’t have any idea how these votes will be categorized and put to use, but any way you slice it this is great news for Shantae. Even being recognized as a contender will help with the future success of Shantae games. So thank you very much for choosing her!
If you’ve yet to cast your vote, or know someone who would like to see Shantae added to the Smash roster, please use the links below! As backers, you’re over 20,000 people strong. So you can make a real impact over the next few days. Just please remember that win or lose, it’s all for fun! We’ve had a lot of fun speculating, making concepts, and sharing ideas with you. Good luck and keep voting!"

-Matt Bozon

This is what I love. Even though Matt and Wayforward have pushed Shantae more than any other 3rd character on the ballot, it's all in good fun, even if Shantae wins or loses. Shantae accomplished a lot while the ballot was going. Shantae gained more awareness and finally made it to Japan. They're even good sports if say, Shovel Knight got in instead of Shantae.

They're proud of our love and dedication towards Shantae and them.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
"Hey Shantae fans! I hope you don’t mind my hijacking today’s Backer Update. But with only a few days left in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot, it seemed like a worthy cause. First, we’d like to say thank you to everyone for voting to include Shantae’s in the Super Smash Bros. series. Numerous independent polls have placed her near the top of the list of hopefuls! We don’t have any idea how these votes will be categorized and put to use, but any way you slice it this is great news for Shantae. Even being recognized as a contender will help with the future success of Shantae games. So thank you very much for choosing her!
If you’ve yet to cast your vote, or know someone who would like to see Shantae added to the Smash roster, please use the links below! As backers, you’re over 20,000 people strong. So you can make a real impact over the next few days. Just please remember that win or lose, it’s all for fun! We’ve had a lot of fun speculating, making concepts, and sharing ideas with you. Good luck and keep voting!"

-Matt Bozon

This is what I love. Even though Matt and Wayforward have pushed Shantae more than any other 3rd character on the ballot, it's all in good fun, even if Shantae wins or loses. Shantae accomplished a lot while the ballot was going. Shantae gained more awareness and finally made it to Japan. They're even good sports if say, Shovel Knight got in instead of Shantae.

Shantae is the only character I've voted more than once (3 times to be exact).

I might vote some moar

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Darn tootin!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yep, I can't wait to see how this ballot ends. Soon very soon we will know whether or not Shantae is chosen for Smash DLC.

But we still have time. Keep on making videos, tweets, posting on forums and bring more and more exposure for our beloved Half Genie Hero, Shantae.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
And then Shantae just barely makes it.

A tear sheds in our eyes.

And then we cry tears of joy...

Mainly about the fun we're having from looking at all the salt

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm really excited now. I can hardly contain myself for the Mario Maker stage alone. But the Ballot is making the wait even harder.

Plus the day after the ballot ends a new season of Kamen Rider starts.

It's pretty much just a fanservice week for me.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
My upcoming video that involves the Smash Ballot!

EDIT: AND there it goes again. It replaces the actual image with my profile image. I give up...

Last edited:

TheTaoDragon

Smash Apprentice
Shantae's getting more and more likely by the day, particularly with all the Japanese support lately.

There's no way Sakurai hasn't heard of her by now.

Brace yourselves, friends. Our time is coming.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
At the very least, she has to be a front runner for Smash 5 by this point if she doesn't make the DLC cut.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Just got done reading the 75th Update for Half Genie Hero. I feel the same as Mr. Bozon. Its all been fun, and fun is good. It will be wonderful if our genie gets in, but if not, we'll still be happy. Got Half-Genie Hero to look forward too and Shantae has a rapidly growing Japanese fanbase. Yep, this ride has been good!

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Since my images keep getting replaced for whatever reason, I'm just gonna go ahead and say I have an upcoming video where I talk about who won the smash ballot. So be on the lookout for that when it's done.

And again, I'm sorry about my images replacing themselves. I don't know why it keeps doing that. >_<

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It makes me wonder why WayForward keeps pushing this. You'd think that if Sakurai intended to use Shantae he would contact WayForward like he would most creators of the characters he ends up using, particularly to negotiate the terms of licensing since they would be considered Third Party. If they never got a chance, nor are getting a chance, to negotiate the licensing of Shantae's intellectual property crossing over in Smash, I don't see why they are getting their fans' hopes up. Not unless they really are waiting until the ballot ends to begin work on any ballot characters, which seems kind of silly. There's always the chance they already DID negotiate and sign the deal to let Sakurai use Shantae in Smash, and hence stoking the hype embers for that tasty reveal. But I believe that scenario is less likely than the former.

When Sept 30th rolls around here tomorrow (roughly around this time), we'll see exactly how much content Sept 30th will bring. If it's literally only SMM and another stage, then that would have been several months of just sitting on their hands, you'd think they'd get character work done. If we have a huge BLOWOUT of DLC on the 30th of Pre-Ballot content including one or two characters, then it will be more likely that they really are holding off on working on Ballot characters until after it ends.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
If this is how much attention Shantae gets on a regular basis, I can only imagine what the support for the other forerunners must look like.

Glorious art, by the way. (-^-^-)

EDIT: Looking at this now, I have no idea what the heck my point was. (I may be more tired than I thought. :b)

Last edited:
Top Bottom