• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see that it was the japanese version of smash so I only noticed "Black Pit" under the only one where his skin got darker.
Whoops!

But I mean, Ganondorf and Dark Pit are the only ones who even have a semblance to changing their skin color in their alts... and maybe Little Mac. I just find it kinda lazy to not even attempt to experiment anywhere with that for most of the time.

Eh, don't think you should make the thread, really. I think it's a rather straightforward argument and it's technically correct (as she would be the only POC protagonist (and female!) on the roster if she got in).

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I didn't see that it was the japanese version of smash so I only noticed "Black Pit" under the only one where his skin got darker.
Whoops!

But I mean, Ganondorf and Dark Pit are the only ones who even have a semblance to changing their skin color in their alts... and maybe Little Mac. I just find it kinda lazy to not even attempt to experiment anywhere with that for most of the time.

Eh, don't think you should make the thread, really. I think it's a rather straightforward argument and it's technically correct (as she would be the only POC protagonist (and female!) on the roster if she got in).
It is, but I think reposting this again should get people thinking more:

Hate to be PC, but... Here's a few quotes from a blog post I found that really opened my eyes:

"If you look at all the video game franchises with three or more games, only 12 have women as the main characters. WayForward’s Shantae the half-genie represents a particularly important - if often overlooked - milestone in representation for female characters."

"Created in 1994 by Erin Bell, with some input from her future husband Matt Bozon, Shantae is the first female character to have her own successful game franchise that was always intended to be female and the star, and who wasn’t spun off a male character’s game." (Believe it or not, it's true! Popular female protagonists like Samus and Lara Croft were first conceptualized as male characters.)
Something interesting I also found was this quote from Matt Bozon about a comment he made during an interview about the difficulty of pitching Shantae to publishers, long before the Game Boy Color game:
"The female character thing… at the beginning, my goodness, you would not believe how hard that was. We had opportunities to get the Shantae project rolling for a while and there were plenty of conversations. With a young game industry - with people who had some money and would have to make a colossal risk to get the game manufactured and into stores, and they would ask some tough questions like “We gotta ask you… have you considered making it a male character instead? ‘Cause this is a male audience. Gotta put a guy. We don’t know, it’s never been proven that a male-dominated audience will accept a female character. Especially one that looks like this. She’s not tough, she’s just this unsuspecting [belly dancer]!” I think we were taking on too many things at the time that were risky. … It was a female character. It was a dancing game. And when we were pitching this, there was no DDR yet. We were saying we want this to be where you have to have some rhythm and there’s like a beat to it in order to transform. And they were like "Oh, it’s too hard to understand what that’d be like. What if somebody can’t get that concept?” “Well we think we can teach it to them.” “Mm… I don’t know. And it’s a girl?” And a couple of times they were like “If you put a male character and even have it be selectable, you can play as the male character or the female character. Or maybe you unlock the female character!” And we were like “NO. This is what the game is; we want it to be about this. This is her, this is her game."
Keep in mind that these pitches that Matt is talking about were made long before games like Tomb Raider, which was an enourmous success.

PERSONALLY, THIS FEELS IMPORTANT.

In a time where female leads, and diversity in general, is becoming encouraged in gaming (heck, Nintendo's been doing it by putting the spotlight more on the Inkling Girl in Splatoon, and the inclusion of same-sex relationships in Fire Emblem: Fates).
Shantae personally seems like a character that seems capable of representing something more than the eShop, Indies,and Handheld-born franchises. She is one of the very first female protagonists (Not to mention of a different race/color) of a long-running franchise. Like the quote above says, there's only 12 franchises mainly starring with 3 or more games. Shantae has been critically successful, and some of her games have sold well, too. She's is currently fast approacing her fourth and largest installment.
That sounds like a pretty solid reason to put Shantae in Smash Bros, to me.

Every 3rd party in Super Smash Bros has their proper place, from gaming's past to it's future.
>Pac-Man was the game that brought gaming to a larger audience.

>Mega Man was one of the most succesful 3rd party franchises birthed on Nintendo, and constantly changed and evolved on it as the systems did.

>Solid Snake added more story elements to games, and introduced a new mechanic to gaming: Stealth.

>Sonic was the one who stepped up against Mr. Video Game himself, with a battle that changed the gaming industry.

So, what will Shantae bring to the table? What impact has she made, or what will impact will she make?
Well, Shantae will represent the growing encouragement of diversity within gaming, and promote the independent developers who struggle just to bring their vision to life.
C'mon, do you want Samus to continue to be the only female protagonist on the roster?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

I drew yo gurl as well as some other gaming 'icons'
Remember when Rayman had a scarf and that really weird "hair"? Those were the days.
image.jpg

Also here's a { to go with that "
image.jpg

Old drawing from several months ago. I'm not all that proud now that I'm looking at it.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, I think this is faked but if it isn't, maybe if Shantae does make it, you guys who liked the PitxShantae thing may have their chance.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, I think this is faked but if it isn't, maybe if Shantae does make it, you guys who liked the PitxShantae thing may have their chance.

By that you mean Wademan94 Wademan94 :p

You do remember that DLC characters don't have dialouge, right? There's a placeholder message.

Nintendo probably wouldn't fix that, knowing them.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

You do remember that DLC characters don't have dialouge, right?
I know, and I checked, it is faked, I figured much because the voices (mainly Pit's) wasn't 1 to 1, but it was still rather good.

Seriously, if DLC characters did get the PG codecs eventually, I'd be happy for you guys of Shantae did make it, cuz that was rather fun to listen to, imo.

TheTaoDragon

Smash Apprentice
I know, and I checked, it is faked, I figured much because the voices (mainly Pit's) wasn't 1 to 1, but it was still rather good.

Seriously, if DLC characters did get the PG codecs eventually, I'd be happy for you guys of Shantae did make it, cuz that was rather fun to listen to, imo.
Don't forget Snake codecs!
...those were the days...

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Remember when Rayman had a scarf and that really weird "hair"? Those were the days.
I personally prefer the hoodie look myself as well as his current hair

As much as I would love to see that happen, I don't think it will, and that video is definitely fake

I don't know what you're talking about
ShantaeXPit2.jpg
[/spoilers]
(you know I'm not alone)

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Considering how bent everyone is on promoting diversity in gaming, you'd think people would be behind the strong female protagonist of color (that's also created by a woman) into Smash, but uh, guess not.

Seriously. The only female protagonist is Samus, and the only character that counts as "colored" is Ganondorf.

Considering the issues Shantae faced with publishers in the 90's, with them wanting Wayforward to make her a male or side character, Wayforward's perserverance to keep Shantae herself as the hero is certainly something.

In times like these, she's filled the "iconic" quota for that.
I'm assuming you don't count Female Robin since the default is the male or Lucina(Robin, Chrom, & Lucina are pretty much the protagonists of FE:A).

As for Smash having less diversity than most fighting games, I do hate to point out that Skullgirls features only 2 male characters(a real crime that :rolleyes:)/devilsadvocate and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale has 3 females if you buy the Kat DLC. Smash diversity comes down to: Humans, Koopas, Yoshi, ape, monkey, Hylians, Gerudo, Star Warriors(if that's a race, IDK what Kirby and Meta Knight actually are), a giant penguin with a hat and hammer, space fox and bird, Pokemon, angel, goddess, 2-dimensional image, aliens(I'm putting Villager in here because goshdarnit, he is NOT human), abnormally white humans with green hair, aliens, whatever the heck Pac-Man is, robots, and a dog and a duck. They may not appear to be a diverse bunch, but when you break it down that way...they kind of are.:psycho:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

I probably would actually play this if it was an actual crossover game, despite not really caring about Shovel Knight's game... Plague of Shadows is making me consider actually buying it, though (I've also been really hooked on the Soundtrack)

Also this:
image.jpg

Best cheat code in gaming. period.

I'd mainly play the game for the writing. Both games are written really well, and the huge personality difference between these two should lead to hilarious moments.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I'm assuming you don't count Female Robin since the default is the male or Lucina(Robin, Chrom, & Lucina are pretty much the protagonists of FE:A).

As for Smash having less diversity than most fighting games, I do hate to point out that Skullgirls features only 2 male characters(a real crime that :rolleyes:)/devilsadvocate and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale has 3 females if you buy the Kat DLC. Smash diversity comes down to: Humans, Koopas, Yoshi, ape, monkey, Hylians, Gerudo, Star Warriors(if that's a race, IDK what Kirby and Meta Knight actually are), a giant penguin with a hat and hammer, space fox and bird, Pokemon, angel, goddess, 2-dimensional image, aliens(I'm putting Villager in here because goshdarnit, he is NOT human), abnormally white humans with green hair, aliens, whatever the heck Pac-Man is, robots, and a dog and a duck. They may not appear to be a diverse bunch, but when you break it down that way...they kind of are.:psycho:
The main protagonist of FE:A is the avatar(which is predominantly male). Shantae is the ONLY MAIN Protagonist that was decided from the beginning of the game and the character that you would mainly control. Lucina didn't come to be known until later parts of the game. When people say female protagonist they mean character who players control about 99% of the time that is female since first concept.

Kirby and Meta Knight are things at best since we don't know how they sound(except what the actor/director gives them).

Pikachu and Pokemon in general are collectibles, not main protagonists.

Pac-Man is a male due to the fact that their is a Ms Pac-Man(who later marries him and have a child).

Villager is mostly a male character. As you see in his reveal trailer.

Trust me when I say that Shantae is the second female protagonist that might join Smash 4.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
The main protagonist of FE:A is the avatar(which is predominantly male). Shantae is the ONLY MAIN Protagonist that was decided from the beginning of the game and the character that you would mainly control. Lucina didn't come to be known until later parts of the game. When people say female protagonist they mean character who players control about 99% of the time that is female since first concept.

Kirby and Meta Knight are things at best since we don't know how they sound(except what the actor/director gives them).

Pikachu and Pokemon in general are collectibles, not main protagonists.

Pac-Man is a male due to the fact that their is a Ms Pac-Man(who later marries him and have a child).

Villager is mostly a male character. As you see in his reveal trailer.

Trust me when I say that Shantae is the second female protagonist that might join Smash 4.
That huge list of mine was meant to show diversity as far as "race" or "species" go, if not gender. But to mention gender, the only Pokemon in Smash with a 100% definable gender is Pikachu which is a male. All the others have either no gender dimorphism or are genderless.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That huge list of mine was meant to show diversity as far as "race" or "species" go, if not gender. But to mention gender, the only Pokemon in Smash with a 100% definable gender is Pikachu which is a male. All the others have either no gender dimorphism or are genderless.
So Shantae will be the second(first female character that is decided female from the start, heck Samus was at first to be male, just look at her name) female protagonist in Smash.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Well, uh, the main point of "diversity" or at least the one people are rallying for is the kind that relates or reaches out to the most people, in a sense.

While I may find characters like, I don't know, Kirby or Pac-Man relatable, the general population don't (and won't) find an orbish creature whose sole purpose in life is to move and eat very relatable.

So yes, Smash is "diverse" in a sense, but because POC take up a decent chunk of, well, all populations, they'd like to see a couple more characters like themselves, you know?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, uh, the main point of "diversity" or at least the one people are rallying for is the kind that relates or reaches out to the most people, in a sense.

While I may find characters like, I don't know, Kirby or Pac-Man relatable, the general population don't (and won't) find an orbish creature whose sole purpose in life is to move and eat very relatable.

So yes, Smash is "diverse" in a sense, but because POC take up a decent chunk of, well, all populations, they'd like to see a couple more characters like themselves, you know?
I'm a half-genie who breakdances to summon deep dish pizza

check your privelege

---------

On a serious note, what you said is pretty much what I mean. Nintendo has been promoting diversity more recently, with homosexual relationships in FE Fates and putting the spotlight more on the Inkling Girl in Splatoon.

With Smash Bros becoming a celebration of gaming as a whole, the diversity of the gaming audience should matter here, too.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

Fake, but a wonderful effort. If only the Kid Icarus actors, for all of Sakurai's apparent bias, could put in this kind of effort...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
I honestly feel that Rottytops will be the most popular Shantae character in Japan.
image.jpg

Can you really blame me?

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
If Shantae gains enough popularity in Japan, could there finally be a chance we can actually see a shantae manga or amime?
Just the thought of it gets me giddy :pimp:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Nintendo 3DS is my Shantae box. Love having every game so far on it.

Can't wait to get Half Genie Hero. (And turn the Wii U into a Shantae box) :laugh:

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
So guys, if shantae got a cinematic trailer like the other newcomers. How do you think it will go?
Here is my version

The flaming smash logo appears

The trailer starts with a blue sky with a couple seagulls flying by

We see toon link looking around while riding on the pirate ship from brawl
Everything looks fine until....
CRASH!
Toon link was startled as his ship bumped into a larger ship.
Toon link looks up and sees a silhouette of the lady pirate risky boots!
Risky points her hand towards toon link
Cue boss theme!
and a bunch of tinkerbats come flooding onto toon link's ship!
Toon link readies himself as the tinkerbats attack
Toon link attacks a majority of the tinkerbats with his master sword however he is starting to feel overwhelmed until....
One of the barrels that toon link had on the ship starts to shake! The barrel busts open with a purple streak coming out of it! The purple streak lands behind toon link only showing her feet.she proceeds to finish off the rest of the tinkerbats with only her purple hair showing on screen. Toon link looks behind him to see who this person is.
We see a back view panning up to the back of her head. The person turns around revealing her face. the newcomer winks at the viewer
SHANTAE! Shakes up the competition!
Onto the gameplay!
I'll post that in my next reply
What do you guys think so far?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Following up on something from a few pages back;
Untitled.png

DAMN, Shantae looks nice in that artwork.
GG Wayforward. :4pacman:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So guys, if shantae got a cinematic trailer like the other newcomers. How do you think it will go?
Here is my version

The flaming smash logo appears

The trailer starts with a blue sky with a couple seagulls flying by

We see toon link looking around while riding on the pirate ship from brawl
Everything looks fine until....
CRASH!
Toon link was startled as his ship bumped into a larger ship.
Toon link looks up and sees a silhouette of the lady pirate risky boots!
Risky points her hand towards toon link
Cue boss theme!
and a bunch of tinkerbats come flooding onto toon link's ship!
Toon link readies himself as the tinkerbats attack
Toon link attacks a majority of the tinkerbats with his master sword however he is starting to feel overwhelmed until....
One of the barrels that toon link had on the ship starts to shake! The barrel busts open with a purple streak coming out of it! The purple streak lands behind toon link only showing her feet.she proceeds to finish off the rest of the tinkerbats with only her purple hair showing on screen. Toon link looks behind him to see who this person is.
We see a back view panning up to the back of her head. The person turns around revealing her face. the newcomer winks at the viewer
SHANTAE! Shakes up the competition!
Onto the gameplay!
I'll post that in my next reply
What do you guys think so far?
And then another ship comes along, carrying K. Rool.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
and then another ship with robot pirates comes in and gets destroyed by Rayman.... right? right guys? ;n;

Last edited:
Top Bottom