• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I swear to god, WayForward/Matt Bozon are the biggest trolls in gaming, right up there with Sakurai!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Giantess!!! ....ahem. Sorry, I love giant girls lol. Yeah, I'm curious if she's a good or bad guy.
Giant girls you say?

It's a bit hard to say what they'll do with this character so far, there are some evil looking designs for this, but also one's where she look like she's struggling with the chains, i'm very curious to see what they have planned for her boss battle

I applaud Shantae, because it's probably the best example of Mermaids designed and portrayed in media based on the original myth.

They're fish and somewhat humanoid, there's no way they'll have human skin on em'.

Considering the approach Half-Genie Hero is going with involving the mermaids, I wouldn't be too sure about that

Remember how Bolo used to look?
View attachment 74699
Thank goodness for KOU to come and save the day for Pirate's Curse.
Really glad for the redesigns of Bolo and ESPECIALLY Sky

Definitely prefer the pants over whatever the heck was covering her waist in the first two games

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Giant girls you say?

It's a bit hard to say what they'll do with this character so far, there are some evil looking designs for this, but also one's where she look like she's struggling with the chains, i'm very curious to see what they have planned for her boss battle

EDIT: .....or maybe a giantess transformation? ....I'll see myself out now.

Considering the approach Half-Genie Hero is going with involving the mermaids, I wouldn't be too sure about that

Definitely prefer the pants over whatever the heck was covering her waist in the first two games
Never have watched Steven Universe. But you dog you! ;) I'm sorta hoping the Giga Mermaid will be a good guy... but it'll be a fun encounter either way. If she is good, maybe she'll teach Shantae the mermaid transformation.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Giant girls you say?

Hey guys, the platform Shantae's running on, Wily Castle, anyone?;) Seriously though, it looks REALLY similar. Also, what, uh....what's up the little mermaids:rolleyes: on the conveyor belt thingy in that screenshot?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys, the platform Shantae's running on, Wily Castle, anyone?;) Seriously though, it looks REALLY similar. Also, what, uh....what's up the little mermaids:rolleyes: on the conveyor belt thingy in that screenshot?
I'd assume the Mermaids are prisoners of some sort for those Lizard-like construction workers. Evidence to prove this is that the Giga Mermaid (presumably the leader of them) is in chains, similar to most of her lesser brethen on that conveyor belt. Perhaps it's a Lizard vs. Mermaid situation? Also, I suppose the mermaids that evaded capture (like the first few you encounter in the first demo level) are attacking Shantae out of territorial disputes/fear?

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Those girls on the conveyor belt are humans actually. They might be getting turned into mermaids. I know this from the E3 demo. You see them in cages on the first stage.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Convenient that my commision on bigger merfolk who live at the bottom of the ocean and glow was just finished, huh?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
image.jpg

TwistedWind keeps making art of the Shantae cast in Victorian-styled clothing.

I love it.

Edit: Colored/Full version of Risky added

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
In unrelated news, the update hits next week.
Could Shantae be ret-2-go then?

Hopefully so!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

This is adorable.

(from Lone@リズム天国– )

"Even if only one of them makes it in, the other will cheer them on."
image.jpg

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
You know, I feel kinda bad for shantae and her fans. She's a great choice for the game but at the peak of her popularity, she has been getting a lot of unnecessary hate for reasons that are either stupid and not true. And now people like this shantae 2.0 guy seems to make the situation worse by using her in troll posts and now people are putting her with characters like goku and shrek now! She's been called a ***** even though she is pretty likable, she was called rule 34 material by her looks though every smash bros character(even the guys) has at least one piece of rule 34 material. And people are hating on her games now even though I bet you they never played them. So overall, I just don't get why when characters get so popular, they get a lot of unnecessary hate. I'm sorry you shantae fans are going through this crap right now. I should know, I'm a supporter myself. I feel that now, she deserves to be in smash even more now than before!
By the way im new here! SHANTAE FOR SMASH!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You know, I feel kinda bad for shantae and her fans. She's a great choice for the game but at the peak of her popularity, she has been getting a lot of unnecessary hate for reasons that are either stupid and not true. And now people like this shantae 2.0 guy seems to make the situation worse by using her in troll posts and now people are putting her with characters like goku and shrek now! She's been called a ***** even though she is pretty likable, she was called rule 34 material by her looks though every smash bros character(even the guys) has at least one piece of rule 34 material. And people are hating on her games now even though I bet you they never played them. So overall, I just don't get why when characters get so popular, they get a lot of unnecessary hate. I'm sorry you shantae fans are going through this crap right now. I should know, I'm a supporter myself. I feel that now, she deserves to be in smash even more now than before!
Here's a rainbow sheep to welcome you:
:happysheep:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Welcome and yea it sucks to see those comments flying about. The smash community are filled with trolls and pri*ks every where and they hate a character like it killed their cat or something. At the end of the day the fact they have such hate for a character which didn't do a thing to them and that they attack fan bases purposely to start trouble shows that their personalities are disgusting.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Welcome to the group fellow supporter! Enjoy your stay here, its a friendly place. :)

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
QUICK! Someone give me a list of all the invalid arguments of why shantae can't be in Smash. Include the counter arguments, also.

I have an idea for a YouTube video. I doubt it'll be done before the ballot ends, but I want to try something :)

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
QUICK! Someone give me a list of all the invalid arguments of why shantae can't be in Smash. Include the counter arguments, also.

I have an idea for a YouTube video. I doubt it'll be done before the ballot ends, but I want to try something :)
She's a third party character!
Nintendo confirmed that any gaming character is viable. Plus wayfoward is completely open to shantae being in smash

She's too sexualized!
Ahem, have you seen shulk and zero suit samus's Alta

Shovel knight is more viable!
Shantae has been around since the melee days and I see her as the mother of all indies characters

We don't need indies in smash!
Honestly, indie gaming as a whole has become really popular among the gaming community. Smash is a perfect way to celebrate gaming as a whole and indies are part of gaming

She's a ***** and I don't like her games!
TOO BAD!

That's all I got so far

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
She's a third party character!
Nintendo confirmed that any gaming character is viable. Plus wayfoward is completely open to shantae being in smash

She's too sexualized!
Ahem, have you seen shulk and zero suit samus's Alta

Shovel knight is more viable!
Shantae has been around since the melee days and I see her as the mother of all indies characters

We don't need indies in smash!
Honestly, indie gaming as a whole has become really popular among the gaming community. Smash is a perfect way to celebrate gaming as a whole and indies are part of gaming

She's a ***** and I don't like her games!
TOO BAD!

That's all I got so far
The last one had me smiling lol!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
She's a third party character
She's too sexualized
Shovel knight is more viable
That's all I got so far
Counter arguments to the above:
Technically true, but has a stationary history with Nintendo
ZSS and Shulk alts say hi
Shovel Knight's down attack is his only attack (Ok, I haven't played Knight yet so I'm just making stuff up).

EDIT: A surprise fire alarm :4greninja:'d me!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight's down attack is his only attack (Ok, I haven't played Knight yet so I'm just making stuff up).

Shovel Knight actually has several pieces of gear he can use, and he can use his shovel in a variety of ways. Both Shantae and Shovel Knight were pretty much born with Smash movesets.

Also, I have no idea why people are whining about that Indies shouldn't be represented in Smash, but completely ignore CommanderVideo's trophy.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Shovel Knight actually has several pieces of gear he can use, and he can use his shovel in a variety of ways. Both Shantae and Shovel Knight were pretty much born with Smash movesets.

Also, I have no idea why people are whining about that Indies shouldn't be represented in Smash, but completely ignore CommanderVideo's trophy.
Like I said, I never played Shovel Knight (or Pirate's Curse for that matter), so I really would be unfamiliar with Knight.

As for point B, get more indies in Smash starting with Shantae stat!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Like I said, I never played Shovel Knight (or Pirate's Curse for that matter), so I really would be unfamiliar with Knight.

As for point B, get more indies in Smash starting with Shantae stat!
Shantae and CommanderVideo have the highest chances, since they were born on Nintendo platforms.

The thing about SK is that Yacht Club is being more free with him than Wayforward and Gaijin Games/Choice Provisions are with Shantae and CommanderVideo, allowing Shovel Knight to recieve more publicity.

(Let poor Shantae play with the rest of the children in Runbow, Wayforward.)

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
I ed

i edited my comment with my counter arguments and other arguments.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
11(or 10 days) til the Ballot ends. Let's continue supporting our favorite Genie girl(and I am not referring to Sharla lol).

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Considering how bent everyone is on promoting diversity in gaming, you'd think people would be behind the strong female protagonist of color (that's also created by a woman) into Smash, but uh, guess not.

Seriously. The only female protagonist is Samus, and the only character that counts as "colored" is Ganondorf.

Considering the issues Shantae faced with publishers in the 90's, with them wanting Wayforward to make her a male or side character, Wayforward's perserverance to keep Shantae herself as the hero is certainly something.

In times like these, she's filled the "iconic" quota for that.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'm also annoyed by how Smash has almost no color alts that change a human character's skin as well. Palutena is so boring she doesn't even change her hair color once! Really it's only very minor tints, and the only ones that are noticeable are Ganondorf's. ...Who is the... only dark skinned character too, uh...

I don't know. Maybe I am just spoiled by Skullgirls. Which I WOULD PLAY IF I DIDN'T ONLY HAVE A MAC AND WII U.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I'm also annoyed by how Smash has almost no color alts that change a human character's skin as well. Palutena is so boring she doesn't even change her hair color once! Really it's only very minor tints, and the only ones that are noticeable are Ganondorf's. ...Who is the... only dark skinned character too, uh...

I don't know. Maybe I am just spoiled by Skullgirls. Which I WOULD PLAY IF I DIDN'T ONLY HAVE A MAC AND WII U.
Pretty much every popular fighting game has more diversity than Smash. :/

Even before Smash, games like Street Fighter 2 (the complete roster) has had more diversity than Smash had across 4 games.

Shantae will certainly be welcomed in a roster of one colored character (Not sure about Little Mac, he's from NY) and a bunch of bricks with femenine hair.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Dark pit gets a bit of a dark skin alt.

Top Bottom