• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Only like 3 weeks left people what do you think are her chances?
Honestly, I'm gonna say it, low.

I want her in, but she is a western-exclusive 3rd Party indie character with good support but overall below the flash in the pan spike that Shovel Knight got near the start of the ballot, when most votes were initially spent.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
As long as I get K. Rool in Smash and Half-Genie Hero gets Battle Mode, I'm happy.

It probably will, because, I'm sorry, but you've failed as a developer if you have eight playable characters and do nothing Multiplayer-based with them.

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Yea I'm thinking her chances aren't to great to be honest. Sux tho cause all the popular choices are ugh to me. (No offense to anyone here) she is the only one that's talked about alot that I have a likeness for.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
The same thing for all the ones I want: nervous but I hope we get some kinda of update or news soon

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
All bias and everything aside, who do you guys think we're gonna get?
Wolf as one more predetermined fighter, akin to :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:.

Then, from the ballot, K. Rool is the single most likely candidate.

After that, we see... 3-5 characters at best.

Isaac and Bandana Dee at the next tier of likeliness, then Inklings, Dixie, and Paper Mario. I don't think anyone else is quite on calibur to expect.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Where did the optimism go? Even if things look bleak we should all be positive to the end! So buck up y'all, whether Shantae gets in or not she's our genie!

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I want her in.
I just don't /expect/ her to be in.
I don't expect most of my wants to be in. The Dee is basically the one.
Never said you didn't want her in. Y'all just getting down. Ah, we'll see. Not too much longer.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
If I got to make a guess who making it

Pre-ballot: :wolf: or :popo: (as a solo with Nana as an alt)

Ballot: Shantae, K.Rool, Dixie, Krystal ( a guy can dream...) and Impa

I'm not really giving up I've been recommending Shantae games to friends, a lot of them are liking Pirate's Curse and heard from them that they been voting for her and Krystal (a double bonus for me) but I guess we just gotta wait and see what will come this month IF we got a 4th wave of DLC but wouldn't be surprised if their holding that back until October 3rd

Solo Bolo

Smash Rookie
We just need to hope all our effort has gotten some attention from Nintendo. And considering all the speculation about her before, I can't imagine they haven't seen her name around. While the odds seem to be against her, it'll be that much sweeter if she does make the cut.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
We just need to hope all our effort has gotten some attention from Nintendo. And considering all the speculation about her before, I can't imagine they haven't seen her name around. While the odds seem to be against her, it'll be that much sweeter if she does make the cut.
True I mean she appeared on that eShop sign, all her games have been best sellers on the eShop, gets nothing but love and positive comments from Nintendo Power when it was still around and of course she's mainly been on Nintendo systems since the 1st installment but again no tell but it would be crazy if Nintendo didn't see all the positive feedback to Shantae just gotta wait and see who the winner or winners will be in October

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
True I mean she appeared on that eShop sign, all her games have been best sellers on the eShop, gets nothing but love and positive comments from Nintendo Power when it was still around and of course she's mainly been on Nintendo systems since the 1st installment but again no tell but it would be crazy if Nintendo didn't see all the positive feedback to Shantae just gotta wait and see who the winner or winners will be in October
she also got was that cameo in WarioWare DIY, along with CommanderVideo.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Several months:

TWO YEARS:

?!

Not to mention that both Yooka-Laylee and Shantae HGH combined didn't raise as much as Mighty No. 9 did.

Great job, Inafune. This is the same man who decided to go on about the issues with the Japanese gaming industry, without knowing that he's part of the problem as well.

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I want her bad and I still support her, but until she gets localized in Japan she's not very likely. It pains me to say that but I don't want to give myself or you guys false hope. She most likely won't become DLC. However, when her games DO get localized, her chances for Smash 5 will skyrocket. So DLC she's unlikely but Smash 5 she's very likely. WayForward just needs to make sure people know who she is. As long as this fan base doesn't die out, she's almost guaranteed for 5. So keep that in mind if she doesn't get in as DLC, it's not even close to over.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Several months:

Not to mention that both Yooka-Laylee and Shantae HGH combined didn't raise as much as Mighty No. 9 did.

Great job, Inafune. This is the same man who decided to go on about the issues with the Japanese gaming industry, without knowing that he's part of the problem as well.
To be fair, Shantae is using the Ducktales Remastered engine, so it wouldn't take as much work.

Still, Yooka-Laylee, Shantae, and Shovel Knight all show the right way to do a game Kickstarter- have footage of a working build of the game before you ask for funding, even if it's just an early alpha or proof of concept.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any characters who don't have a Japanese presence are at all likely. I think it's definitely possible that we'll get a character who's more popular in the west than in Japan, but at the moment all of the 3rd party characters are really big stars.

So I think Shantae getting in would be a huge surprise. It's definitely one I would welcome, though.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I don't think any characters who don't have a Japanese presence are at all likely. I think it's definitely possible that we'll get a character who's more popular in the west than in Japan, but at the moment all of the 3rd party characters are really big stars.

So I think Shantae getting in would be a huge surprise. It's definitely one I would welcome, though.
Shantae currently is growing a following in Japan, as some artists who have done work for Nintendo, such as Ken Sugimori and Ko Takeuchi, have shown some love for Shantae, amongst a lot more japanese fanart and comments that's been popping up recently.

Wayforward also has affiliation with Inti Creates, and have had some games like Mighty Switch Force and LIT released in Japan.

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Shantae currently is growing a following in Japan, as some artists who have done work for Nintendo, such as Ken Sugimori and Ko Takeuchi, have shown some love for Shantae, amongst a lot more japanese fanart and comments that's been popping up recently.

Wayforward also has affiliation with Inti Creates, and have had some games like Mighty Switch Force and LIT released in Japan.
I don't equate that with having any real Japanese presence. I know they collaborated with Inti Creates and that you'll see occasional fanart of her from Japanese artists, but she's still mostly unknown to the Japanese gaming community at large. I think whoever the ballot character is will be someone that has a notable following internationally and domestically. Again, I'm just trying to be realistic here, and I'd love to be wrong.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Thank you, good sir.
I'm still kind of trying to find my style, so to speak, but I'm glad some people seem to like what I'm doing. (-^-^-)
No problem, I'm always supporting other artists out there, and you have good art in my humble opinion. I hope you share more art with us whenever you can, keep up the great work.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
No problem, I'm always supporting other artists out there, and you have good art in my humble opinion. I hope you share more art with us whenever you can, keep up the great work.
Oh, just good??
I'm kidding. (-^-^-)
Once again, I thank you for your kind words, and I'll continue to do my best.

And for what it's worth, I'd also like to say that I greatly enjoy your style as well.
It's got that sort of broad, yet detailed look I absolutely adore.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh, just good??
I'm kidding. (-^-^-)

And for what it's worth, I'd also like to say that I greatly enjoy your style.
It's got that sort of broad, yet detailed look I absolutely adore.
Aww, thank you very much, glad you like it that much. ;3

Well, not to get too personal with the back and forth convo here, but just wanted to ask, you do sprite work it seems, is it 100% custom made? I liked that one of Shantae, it looked really cute to me imo.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Aww, thank you very much, glad you like it that much. ;3

Well, not to get too personal with the back and forth convo here, but just wanted to ask, you do sprite work it seems, is it 100% custom made? I liked that one of Shantae, it looked really cute to me imo.
My sprites are typically drawn from some kind of inspiration for the general structure (For example, Mega Man 7), but are pretty much completely custom-made.

I'm glad you liked 'em.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Holy the old Shantae fan site... damn now I feel older then I did when you shared the ad for the oringal game XD
This is actually the real website, not fanmade. There was also another made for Risky's Revenge. There's so much nice stuff in here, and things I never even knew about, like Shantae getting a PSP and Plug & Play title!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
LOOK AT ALL OF THIS OLD FANART
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I feel like I'm uncovering ancient treasure! This is all sorts of wonderful.

There was even a limerick contest, for some reason.

"There once was a great game called Shantae
That many-a-warm-night I did play
The artwork was sweet
Some "one-hits" were cheap
It out-does the pirates of Melee"

"Pirates of Melee"

wait

Does this mean what I think it does :foxmelee:

Even before the ballot...

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
LOOK AT ALL OF THIS OLD FANARTView attachment 72605View attachment 72606View attachment 72607
I feel like I'm uncovering ancient treasure! This is all sorts of wonderful.

There was even a limerick contest, for some reason.

"There once was a great game called Shantae
That many-a-warm-night I did play
The artwork was sweet
Some "one-hits" were cheap
It out-does the pirates of Melee"

"Pirates of Melee"

wait

Does this mean what I think it does :foxmelee:

Even before the ballot...
Clearly, it was destiny.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
There's also more old sketches on the website, which also found it's way into Nintendo Power's article about Shantae's evolution.
image.jpg
I love these.

I also found ONE official peice of Shantae merch. On CafePress, Matt Bozon designed a Shantae T-Shirt (which has been tagged under being at a size for infants, for some reason.)
image.jpg

what

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
There's also more old sketches on the website, which also found it's way into Nintendo Power's article about Shantae's evolution.View attachment 72611 I love these.

I also found ONE official peice of Shantae merch. On CafePress, Matt Bozon designed a Shantae T-Shirt (which has been tagged under being at a size for infants, for some reason.)
View attachment 72613
what
I always loved that Chinese Shantae and that Risky at the bottom left these old sketches got me into drawing our girl today, that and unique art style Shantae before her revivial for Risky's Revenge and the next two games

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Old news, the person who made that poll was biased and did not include K. Rool as an option. And admitted himself to being a Shantae fan. He eventually felt obligated to release a second poll that featured him.
awww :( can you give me a link to the new poll?

Top Bottom