• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; On September 3rd, The Japanese Smash Bros Twitter showed us the release dates for Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mewtwo amiibos (which is for October 29th). On September 4th, Sakurai retweeted that post and showed us in a different post how there will be a North American and Japanese Amiibo of R.O.B. based on its original designs for those respective countries. Either way, I really do hope that's not all they're going to show us; there has to be at least one other thing planned for this month.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Well guys; On September 3rd, The Japanese Smash Bros Twitter showed us the release dates for Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Mewtwo amiibos (which is for October 29th). On September 4th, Sakurai retweeted that post and showed us in a different post how there will be a North American and Japanese Amiibo of R.O.B. based on its original designs for those respective countries. Either way, I really do hope that's not all they're going to show us; there has to be at least one other thing planned for this month.
If it was shantae (the wishful thinking is real right now) I'll scream a bit lol

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I think Shantae and Rayman could be confirmed, considering how Nintendo's trying to get on Ubisoft's good side, such as giving Rayman a trophy and letting Michel Ancel design an offical level for Super Mario Maker, and having Mario & Luigi costumes in Rayaman Legends.

For Wayforward, Matt Bozon made an offical Microgame for WarioWare DIY, Shantae NAB!, and Nintendo constantly advertises them in the eShop, even letting Wayforward re-release Xtreme Sports and the original Shantae on the Virtual Console, along with Nintendo saying that they want a stronger relationship with Indies.

Very suspicous...

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Question for ya'll

If Shantae doesn't get in, what will your opinions be about Bozon's constant teasing?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Question for ya'll

If Shantae doesn't get in, what will your opinions be about Bozon's constant teasing?
It wouldn't matter. Because I knew it was him joking around as usual.
I think Nintendo would watch over 3rd party devs and Nintendo staff like a hawk to make sure they don't tease their character being added into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind Shantae not getting in Smash if Half-Genie Hero has Battle Mode from the cancelled GBA game return and/or Shantae gets in a Indie crossover game. why wasn't she in Runbow

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What console-exclusive costumes or bossfights do you think Half-Genie Hero would have, if it had them?
Nariko vs Shantae for the Playstation version would rock.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Shantae is my favorite character to vote for! Aside from the fact that she is so cool and sleek, Shantae has been a true inspiration for all players alike. Am I right or what? Shantae shall win this vote, and if she doesn't, then I'll be really displeased.
Hopefully she will win the top spot, because i rate her as a 5 start character for super smash bros DLC!

I need your support to keep my thread going too! so if you let me support Shantae, will you support my thread too? Follow @ BoltDragon BoltDragon , and leave a comment saying who you are, and that you will help me. I greatly appreciate all of your support for Shantae! look for me on other threads too. I will post back here later tonight in order to help keep the Shantae thread going forward! Peace out!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

And here we can currently see the incredibly rare "Half-Genie", currently on the hunt for her prey...

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't mind Shantae not getting in Smash if Half-Genie Hero has Battle Mode from the cancelled GBA game return and/or Shantae gets in a Indie crossover game. why wasn't she in Runbow
To me, that would depend on who DOES get in.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I think Shantae, Snake, and Rayman are probably the most popular 3rd party characters in the ballot not running off "Their franchise is dead and I want a revival even though their company refuses to do nothing with the franchise and probably still won't care" as the description for why they should be in.

Sakurai has said before: 3rd party franchises with no future are rarely chosen. Mega Man is an exception, even then, Capcom does keep referencing Mega Man, not to mention Legacy Collection, and the new cartoon he's getting in 2017.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I think Shantae, Snake, and Rayman are probably the most popular 3rd party characters in the ballot not running off "Their franchise is dead and I want a revival even though their company refuses to do nothing with the franchise and probably still won't care" as the description for why they should be in.

Sakurai has said before: 3rd party franchises with no future are rarely chosen. Mega Man is an exception, even then, Capcom does keep referencing Mega Man, not to mention Legacy Collection, and the new cartoon he's getting in 2017.
Well Spyro has a future..

It's just a future stuck being a prop in Activision's toys to life scheme -_-...

Ballot or no ballot, Smash or no smash, I will still hate Activision's guts for letting those two rot...

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
He hasn't been in a Skylanders game since the original.

So he's dead, too.
OH no he is not..

Though not specifically mentioned, Activision still shoehorn him in their toy/figure line on a regular basis.. and it pisses me off greatly -_-

Thats why they aren't at risk of losing the Spyro licensing. Cause of that basically..

Trust me. I would love to see these guys in the hands of a different company... preferably back into the hands of the companies they belong to. This particular thing isn't about smash, it's about two characters that are practically held hostage by a company that don't even know what they're doing..

Anyways, enough about companies I can't stand..

I'm still really hoping they will say something.. and for that matter if they don't, how long will it be until we get word on ballot winners after it ends?... Technically they haven't really said anything.. it could be days.. or even a few months for all we know :/

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
OH no he is not..

Though not specifically mentioned, Activision still shoehorn him in their toy/figure line on a regular basis.. and it pisses me off greatly -_-

Thats why they aren't at risk of losing the Spyro licensing. Cause of that basically..

Trust me. I would love to see these guys in the hands of a different company... preferably back into the hands of the companies they belong to. This particular thing isn't about smash, it's about two characters that are practically held hostage by a company that don't even know what they're doing..

Anyways, enough about companies I can't stand..

I'm still really hoping they will say something.. and for that matter if they don't, how long will it be until we get word on ballot winners after it ends?... Technically they haven't really said anything.. it could be days.. or even a few months for all we know :/
I think we'll get a few characters as DLC to hold us over until the DLC based on the Ballot Voted characters are finished.

Shadowknight1

I wish the 1/2 Genie kickstarter had been happening at a time when I had more money. I doubt it would've made MUCH difference, but I would've loved to have seen those last stretch goals get fulfilled.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
He hasn't been in a Skylanders game since the original.

So he's dead, too.
Spyro has gotten new editions of himself in every game? At least up until Swap Force last time I checked, I used to work at Wal-mart in electronics, I hate these little figurines...

Yet I'm perfectly okay with Amiibo because we rarely, if ever, get them beyond the first wave.

In addition, the old figurines are always forward compatible, so Spyro is technically in every game with at least 7 different versions of himself.

Not that I want to come off as defending Skylanders or make it seem like Activision acquiring Spyro wasn't the worst thing ever, but Spyro is still technically relevant.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Spyro has gotten new editions of himself in every game? At least up until Swap Force last time I checked, I used to work at Wal-mart in electronics, I hate these little figurines...

Yet I'm perfectly okay with Amiibo because we rarely, if ever, get them beyond the first wave.

In addition, the old figurines are always forward compatible, so Spyro is technically in every game with at least 7 different versions of himself.

Not that I want to come off as defending Skylanders or make it seem like Activision acquiring Spyro wasn't the worst thing ever, but Spyro is still technically relevant.
Still relevant in the same way that Castlevania lives on as a Pachinko machine.

Shadowknight1

View attachment 72327 View attachment 72325
The greatest things in life are found in Shantae concept art.
Adorable! I think the little one is what she'd be like if Rottytops actually DID finally eat her brains.

EDIT: BTW, am I alone in thinking that it'd be great to have a remastering of the original Shantae in the style and gameplay of Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
While we have Erin Bozon's original art of Shantae avalible to the public, a lot of people haven't seen the original art for Risky. Luckily, Nintendo Power has us covered from this article written by Matt Bozon himself, which I just took a photo of.
image.jpg

That's what the entire drawing is, Matt.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Wow talk about how a character evolves from concept to current.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The best part is the quote of "The Product of a 2:00 am Mountain Dew and Funyuns binge."

Also it's interesting how Risky Originally had a lot more... dead look.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
There is another issue (248, I think...) that also has an artistic evolution of Shantae, with a ton of great art, some from different artists!

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
View attachment 72330 While we have Erin Bozon's original art of Shantae avalible to the public, a lot of people haven't seen the original art for Risky. Luckily, Nintendo Power has us covered from this article written by Matt Bozon himself, which I just took a photo of.View attachment 72331
That's what the entire drawing is, Matt.
I think Risky's concept may have influenced the design of the Pirate Master

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I doubt if anyone knows, but is there an explanation for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero not being listed under the eShop's upcoming releases? WayForward's said that they're aiming for Q4 of this year, though it might not be something they've officially gone on record to announce yet.

Shadowknight1

I doubt if anyone knows, but is there an explanation for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero not being listed under the eShop's upcoming releases? WayForward's said that they're aiming for Q4 of this year, though it might not be something they've officially gone on record to announce yet.
It's probably not under the eShop's upcoming releases because WayForward hasn't announced a release date beyond by the end of the year.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
With only less than 3 weeks remaining to vote for Shantae, I will put all of my effort into campaigning for her! After the fact that Shantae is getting so much more fanbased appeal, I sincerely decided to step in and put my vote for her. Only one thing left to add, Make Shantae as an Amiibo, or a fighter! Good luck to the Shantae thread! My regards go to her luck for super smash bros DLC.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I find it odd how these 2D Paper-Mario Esque animations look a billion times better than Mighty No. 9's 3D animations.

Let alone with a tiner budget, which shows that 2D Animation is still alive and well after all these years.

By the way, here's this tour of Wayforward and some history in case any of you haven't seen it:

Last edited:
Top Bottom