• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
And this is why I don't get why there isn't a Daisy alt for Peach.
Preach. I'm always wondering what the hell is going thru sakurais head. Perfect alts for characters could have been

Daisy and shadow queen for peach
Princess Hilda or zelda's older incarnations of herself.
Ness could have had some of the friends of his or something.
Bowser could have gotten dry bowser
Yoshi could have gotten birdo
Shiek maybe impa.
Such easy options , people like options video game creators. One thing I notice that game creators seem to not understand sometimes .the more options the better it can get.

T

Trick or Treat

Preach. I'm always wondering what the hell is going thru sakurais head. Perfect alts for characters could have been

Daisy and shadow queen for peach
Princess Hilda or zelda's older incarnations of herself.
Ness could have had some of the friends of his or something.
Bowser could have gotten dry bowser
Yoshi could have gotten birdo
Shiek maybe impa.
Such easy options , people like options video game creators. One thing I notice that game creators seem to not understand sometimes .the more options the better it can get.
You should see the Daisy thread. When we found out that Daisy wasn't even a costume in Mario Maker...it was not a pretty sight.

But yeah, exactly. There are so many possible alt costumes, and the Koopalings prove that it can be done after all

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
You should see the Daisy thread. When we found out that Daisy wasn't even a costume in Mario Maker...it was not a pretty sight.

But yeah, exactly. There are so many possible alt costumes, and the Koopalings prove that it can be done after all
Exactly and on the daisy thread I can def see them being pissed, its like a slap in the face. She has been around for years and is the girlfriend of the main protagonist of Nintendo's brother. It feels like Nintendo doesn't care for daisy anymore tbh. I love rosalina more but its crazy how she is in smash and a character in Mario maker but daisy isn't in either.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I know it's simple, but I wouldn't mind the Pirate Costume as well

Though it would be cool, I doubt we'll see multiple alternate costumes for one character
I just don't want Shantae to have the same issue that :4pacman: does, where his alts look nearly no different than the original.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I just don't want Shantae to have the same issue that :4pacman: does, where his alts look nearly no different than the original.
Oh god, I hope not.. And speaking of alts, how Ms. Pacman wasn't one of his is beyond me.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My post got bottomed, so I'll just quote it here:
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So it turns out that there will be DLC for Mario Maker, as Japan gets a Mystery Mushroom costume based on Famitsu's mascot.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE MUST DO

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Well, I just got banned off of Miiverse..... for a post I made waaaay back on July 28th..... good lord. So I'm not gonna ba able to draw Shantae on Miiverse for two weeks. Guess I'll be back when the ballot is about to end. *sigh* I'm just wondering who reported me.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Continuing to explore old Shantae sites, the Risky's Revenge website had a character popularity poll.

"-Shantae: 66%
-Rottytops: 13%
-Risky Boots: 11%
-Sky & Wrench: 4%
-and Bolo, Uncle Mimic, and the Tinkerbats bringing up the rear with a combined 5%. "

The results are pretty much exactly what you expect.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Well, I just got banned off of Miiverse..... for a post I made waaaay back on July 28th..... good lord. So I'm not gonna ba able to draw Shantae on Miiverse for two weeks. Guess I'll be back when the ballot is about to end. *sigh* I'm just wondering who reported me.
U serious? The hell did you make that was so bad ? And so long ago

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
and is the girlfriend of the main protagonist of Nintendo's brother.
Not to go off topic but just a casual observation from me.
This is proabably just me, but I feel like Nintendo, especially with that one ending for Super Mario Galaxy for all 121 stars with Luigi:

...is pushing more towards Luigi x Rosalina than Luigi x Daisy these days.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Not to go off topic but just a casual observation from me.
This is proabably just me, but I feel like Nintendo, especially with that one ending for Super Mario Galaxy for all 121 stars with Luigi:

...is pushing more towards Luigi x Rosalina than Luigi x Daisy these days.
*Sigh*.

Maybe Nintendo is doing that, I guess. But I'm not going to accepted that since they did the same for Daisy years ago, and that ending is Galaxy 1 isn't canon since it happened where no Mario really existed and 2 Luigi's, did.

Until Nintendo state's otherwise, Luigi and Rosie are not canon.

And back to Shantae.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Miiverse mods are usually either strict or dumb as all hell (or both), it's so silly.
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some mods banned some other Shantae drawings for being "too lewd."

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
U serious? The hell did you make that was so bad ? And so long ago
Danielle.png
This is what got banned... I mean... seriously? Maybe "plus size" girls are too much? I've drawn way more suggestive stuff than this. And what surprises me is that its stayed up there for this long. Why ban it now?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Straight from Unseen64...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshots of a cancelled Shantae DS game from 2006, which eventually became Risky's Revenge.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 72756 This is what got banned... I mean... seriously? Maybe "plus size" girls are too much? I've drawn way more suggestive stuff than this. And what surprises me is that its stayed up there for this long. Why ban it now?
Lmfao I can kinda understand why they did that if they did it right when it happened. The fact they let it drag out for so long was not only stupid on their part but it made it feel like the pic was appropriate.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Something else rather interesting is that on the original Shantae website, a Shantae Plug & Play console was announced at the 2003 toy fair.

(Y'know, one of these. Feel old?)
image.jpg

It was apparently just a port of Shantae Advance at the presentation, and the final product was considered to be a traditional arcade-styled game. Despite it being at the Toy Fair, there are no photos of the darn thing.

I wonder if we can ask Matt Bozon about this and the cancelled Shantae 3D project.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Lmfao I can kinda understand why they did that if they did it right when it happened. The fact they let it drag out for so long was not only stupid on their part but it made it feel like the pic was appropriate.
Yeah if they would have modded it then and there, fine. But.... ugh.... I just want to get a good art tablet. I'd still make Miiverse drawings, but that way I can make my more... shall we say, "risque" artwork elsewhere. lol

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yacht Club: We have Amiibo!

Wayforward: WE HAVE CANDY
image.jpg

(Dot Arcade was a solo project made by James Montagna, but I still count it as a Wayforward game, since he's a designer/director there.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae 3d... ah the days when 3D meant you spent a lot on that extra dimension so you better use it. Some like Mario pulled it off. Some like Sonic worked well at first but failed the test of time and then there's Bubsy...

I wonder how our heroine would have turned out in 3D.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
I wonder if we can ask Matt Bozon about this and the cancelled Shantae 3D project.
Not going to lie, it would feel kind of odd for me to see Shantae to go 3d but at the same time it would extremely hype. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the 2d style. :p

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Not going to lie, it would feel kind of odd for Shantae to go 3d but at the same time it would extremely hype. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the 2d style. :p
This is why for me, the only benefit for Shantae being in Smash would be just to have her have a 3D model, and I could use it once it get's ripped at some point.

But I did always wanted a 3D Shantae game, I thought it would be a very good concept.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
There was a Crash Bandicoot-esque Shantae game planned for the PS1, and then another 3D game planned for the Gamecube.

Both were scrapped, and we don't know much about why.

I personally see a 3D Shantae as an explorative 3D platformer with beat-em-up elements.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I always pictured a 3D Shantae game working like Super Mario Galaxy but without the outer space elements and using elements from Banjo-Kazooie which had transformations if I'm not mistaken with some beat'em up elements

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I always pictured a 3D Shantae game working like Super Mario Galaxy but without the outer space elements and using elements from Banjo-Kazooie which had transformations if I'm not mistaken
I think the best way I can describe mine is 3D Zelda, but with proper platforming controls, with general combat behaving like Dynasty Warriors.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

This.

Hey, that Shantae is actually one of the art pieces featured in the article about Shantae's artistic evolution in Nintendo Power. Even before Risky's Revenge, the vest was considered for a long time.

I believe there was another piece in that article drawn by one of the artists who worked on the original Teen Titans cartoon.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If there was an adventure/comedy comic or cartoon featuring Shantae and friends, what would be some possible plots for it?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If there was an adventure/comedy comic or cartoon featuring Shantae and friends, what would be some possible plots for it?
I'd like to know how Shantae expects Rottytops to behave herself while she's living with Shantae. Rotty does want genie brains for dinner, after all. ;)

You could probably do a whole comic about Bolo's goofups.

Top Bottom