• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I really enjoyed Pirate's Curse and i hope Shantae makes it in. She could have a very fun moveset and i'd really like to see how they would deal in making her customs (if she gets any to begin with)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, Shantae sort of, kind of, maybe became my most wanted character. I was just watching some YouTube Top Ten Lists, because those are buckets of fun. She was a reoccurring character and I was interested in what she could actually do. So I looked it up and the more I learned about her, the more I wanted her. King K. Rool used to take the slot, but pessimism has gotten the best of me. So Shantae 4 Smash!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
If Nintendo doesn't agree to this then maybe Shantae would be better served by appearing in a more traditional fighter. I wonder if her fans would like that.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
SO FREAKING CUTE until you remember that Mighty No. 9 is... well, y'know.

If Nintendo doesn't agree to this then maybe Shantae would be better served by appearing in a more traditional fighter. I wonder if her fans would like that.
13AM games wanted her in the upcoming Wii U game Runbow, as Nintendo was the one who was in charge of getting all those other Indie companies hooked up with 13AM games to get all those other characters such as Gunvolt and Shovel Knight in the in the game (and Unity-Chan, for some reason), but mysteriously left Shantae out. 13AM games never said anything about Wayforward declining the offer, so...

Honestly, Shantae sort of, kind of, maybe became my most wanted character. I was just watching some YouTube Top Ten Lists, because those are buckets of fun. She was a reoccurring character and I was interested in what she could actually do. So I looked it up and the more I learned about her, the more I wanted her. King K. Rool used to take the slot, but pessimism has gotten the best of me. So Shantae 4 Smash!
Personally, I think Shantae and K. Rool are the best choices in the ballot. Their fun personalities, history with Nintendo, and huge, game-accurate moveset potential will make them great additions to the roster, not to mention the added diversity to the roster, with K. Rool as a villain and Shantae as a female protagonist, is just the cherry on top of the sundae.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

13AM games wanted her in the upcoming Wii U game Runbow, as Nintendo was the one who was in charge of getting all those other Indie companies hooked up with 13AM games to get all those other characters such as Gunvolt and Shovel Knight in the in the game (and Unity-Chan, for some reason), but mysteriously left Shantae out. 13AM games never said anything about Wayforward declining the offer, so...
Runbow is not a fighting game. This isn't what I'm talking about.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wait...

>Mentions MM8 Roll

F*CK YEAH.

I love you all.

Cuz come on.

She's so adorable in this outfit. Period.
For the sake of going off-topic one more time, I really wish Roll was the second Capcom rep for Smash 4, but I suppose Ryu will do. Still, there's always a Mii Fighter outfit and/or a future Smash game that goes the MvC route for Mega Man and Roll.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
It's a reference to Skullgirls being a bad game made by people who don't know how to budget properly.
Alright, sorry, I'm a Skullgirls fan and I have a nitpick:
Alright, so the indiegogo that they made to support their game through DLC characters raised a total of $828,768

And the characters they made off of this money goes as follows: Squiggly, Big Band, Fukua, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune.

A total of six characters was added to the roster because of this support. If you divide the number by six you get an average of $138,128.00. And if you count out the entirely reused assets character (whom is an intentional joke character because of that btw) you get an average of $165,753.60. Dirt cheap for a fighting game character doesn't even begin to describe how cheap that is. The only thing really "bad" about the budgeting on Skullgirls is that they were actually too cheap, because (if you watch the video) you'll notice they mention that a huge chunk of their staff had to work extra jobs just to keep their game afloat even with the kickstarter money that they could raise.
Skullgirls has been very honest and very direct with the public on how costy it is to produce content for a game, please don't spread negativity for a game that survived getting nearly screwed over by Konami.

Anyway, you know in a way I'm kind of glad to see people proclaim so proudly that Shantae has 0% chance of ever getting into Smash. It made me question why that would be, researched her, and found why she was such a likely contender.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It's a reference to Skullgirls being a bad game made by people who don't know how to budget properly.
Alright, so the indiegogo that they made to support their game through DLC characters raised a total of $828,768

And the characters they made off of this money goes as follows: Squiggly, Big Band, Fukua, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune.

A total of six characters was added to the roster because of this support. If you divide the number by six you get an average of $138,128.00. And if you count out the entirely reused assets character (whom is an intentional joke character because of that btw) you get an average of $165,753.60. Dirt cheap for a fighting game character doesn't even begin to describe how cheap that is. The only thing really "bad" about the budgeting on Skullgirls is that they were actually too cheap, because (if you watch the video) you'll notice they mention that a huge chunk of their staff had to work extra jobs just to keep their game afloat even with the kickstarter money that they could raise.
Skullgirls has been very honest and very direct with the public on how costy it is to produce content for a game, please don't spread negativity for a game that survived getting nearly screwed over by Konami.
Let's just get back on topic before this gets out of hand...

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Hey guys! I need some help.

I saw the trailer for the Smash Bros. Crusade update, and noticed a lot of Shantae positivity in the comments below.
A guy by the name of 5th Kie (The rest of his name has ... so I'm assuming that his full YouTube name is "5th Kie...") made this comment:
"SHANTAE MOTHER*******!!!!! FIRST CRUSADE, THEN FOR WII U!!!! #VoteForShantae #ShantaeForSmash"
I joined the hype band wagon, but a couple comments later, some guy shows up and starts blasting us for supporting Shantae. Now, YouTube has been very buggy recently, with comments disappearing and reappearing at random. I've been fending off his arguments (Which have been very bad, but he doesn't seem to think so) but he's really starting to wear me down.
Another thing is that his grammar is very, very bad. I'm not normally a grammar nazi, but this guy is going to kill me.

This was his most recent comment (In response to me generally saying that he should slow down when he types, and that he should stop arguing because I've basically debunked his arguments. He also believes that I've somehow been deleting his comments because I'm scared of him.)

"+Mighty Minotaur lol you talk about my grammar when your grammar alone is ****.You didn't debunked anything instead of showing foolish comment and avoiding most of my comments.1 if you would have debunked anything then you wouldn't been scared to ask for my comments to be deleted but hey,i couldn't expect less from peoples who likes stupid characters lol.I proved your comments are invalid i have the satisfaction .Hell wasted enough time of my life with scared peoples"

I would greatly appreciate help ASAP. Here's the link. (Just scroll down through the comments, you'll know it when you see it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7HUkK67JFE
If you don't have a YouTube account, I would greatly appreciate some advice on what to do with this guy. Thanks!
I don't have a YT account but maybe I'll make one. However in this case the goal isn't to change his mind, because he's a moron who will never change his mind. What's much more important is how the whole exchange looks to people who haven't really thought about it much. Basically you want to make sure that what it's clear to everyone else is that he is biased and his arguments suck, and you are calling him out and exposing this. So make sure that you come off as reasonable and more polite than him (though not necessarily totally polite). It sounds like you have pretty much done this already, so if he is starting to just repeat himself and insist his points haven't really been defeated, you could probably just make some kind of exasperated and dismissive comment and just be done with it.

Also what influences people's opinions a lot more than you'd think is seeing other people agree with you. If people see it's 3v1 or even 2v1, they are automatically biased towards thinking the larger side is right. So if anyone here does have a YT account and posts even something simple like, "don't even try to argue with this moron, his arguments are obviously bull****", then that will strengthen the impression that he's just being an ass and making a fool of himself.

Saw it coming
I'm not buying this latest rumor at all, however, my understanding is that the tweet where he said he did not do any voice acting for Smash preceded by a month the one that is causing all this stir. So I don't think it exactly kills the rumor, I just think this rumor was poorly founded from the start.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Well I just got done drawing two Bikini Day Shantae pics. Like my second one better. Just look me up on Miiverse: TwinkleDoodle.

Let's grant a wish!
#Shantae4Smash #VoteForShantae

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well I just got done drawing two Bikini Day Shantae pics. Like my second one better. Just look me up on Miiverse: TwinkleDoodle.

Let's grant a wish!
#Shantae4Smash #VoteForShantae
Just followed you and great drawings.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I needed to share this.
by MowtenDoo

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Anyway, you know in a way I'm kind of glad to see people proclaim so proudly that Shantae has 0% chance of ever getting into Smash. It made me question why that would be, researched her, and found why she was such a likely contender.
Yeah I know, that's how they justified their expenditures, isn't it? What you just posted is the exact same yarn they spun, word-for-word.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Just a heads up to the Shantae fans that are voting on this poll
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

While you can vote only once per IP, votes are able to go through if you fake your ip. That said, we can still view votes from the same computer and location, and its getting A LOT of fake votes. For example, somebody voted for Shantae 27 times on the same computer with different IPs. (Another 12 times, and another 7 times) So far she has 69 votes and 43 of them are duplicates! These votes will not be counted.

Please, I encourage Shantae fans to vote and spread the poll around, but don't cheat! It skews the results, and will only create false expectations.

For example:
I censored all the private bits, but as you can see for example, this person voted 20 times for Shantae from the same location and device. 0% of these votes are invalid because they are all using different IPs.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Just a heads up to the Shantae fans that are voting on this poll
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

While you can vote only once per IP, votes are able to go through if you fake your ip. That said, we can still view votes from the same computer and location, and its getting A LOT of fake votes. For example, somebody voted for Shantae 27 times on the same computer with different IPs. (Another 12 times, and another 7 times) So far she has 69 votes and 43 of them are deplicates! These votes will not be counted.

Please, I encourage Shantae fans to vote and spread the poll around, but don't cheat! It skews the results, and will only create false expectations.
I agree with this, Please don't cheat guys.
If you want more votes please make sure you spread this poll to other sites.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I really didn't want to bring this up again, the characterization of Shantae in Pirate's Curse compared to Risky's Revenge, but after seeing this post, and seeing how many people are agreeing with this, and that's expanded to more than just her, I feel the need to address this, I don't feel like going into their arguments right now, nor do I want to give out any names, but I think you can find this argument easily on the Pirate's Curse Miiverse page,

(edit I removed the pic as I felt that was irresponsible to do on my part)

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I really didn't want to bring this up again, the characterization of Shantae in Pirate's Curse compared to Risky's Revenge, but after seeing this post, and seeing how many people are agreeing with this, and that's expanded to more than just her, I feel the need to address this, I don't feel like going into their arguments right now, nor do I want to give out any names, but I think you can find this argument easily on the Pirate's Curse Miiverse page,

(edit I removed the pic as I felt that was irresponsible to do on my part)
I know which post you are talking about and I think its nothing but bull. *sigh* I need to sit down and write a long essay on how Shantae isn't stupid or dumber than she was before. I get so sick of hearing this.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know which post you are talking about and I think its nothing but bull. *sigh* I need to sit down and write a long essay on how Shantae isn't stupid or dumber than she was before. I get so sick of hearing this.
Working on mine as well, turning in for the night, but could you please assist me with this tomorrow?

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
Working on mine as well, turning in for the night, but could you please assist me with this tomorrow?
Trying to deal with people who act like that kicks my anxiety up too much for me too be any help, which is why I mostly support quietly from the sidelines, but good luck to both of you!

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
I don't have a YT account but maybe I'll make one. However in this case the goal isn't to change his mind, because he's a moron who will never change his mind. What's much more important is how the whole exchange looks to people who haven't really thought about it much. Basically you want to make sure that what it's clear to everyone else is that he is biased and his arguments suck, and you are calling him out and exposing this. So make sure that you come off as reasonable and more polite than him (though not necessarily totally polite). It sounds like you have pretty much done this already, so if he is starting to just repeat himself and insist his points haven't really been defeated, you could probably just make some kind of exasperated and dismissive comment and just be done with it.

Also what influences people's opinions a lot more than you'd think is seeing other people agree with you. If people see it's 3v1 or even 2v1, they are automatically biased towards thinking the larger side is right. So if anyone here does have a YT account and posts even something simple like, "don't even try to argue with this moron, his arguments are obviously bull****", then that will strengthen the impression that he's just being an *** and making a fool of himself.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep this in mind for later on. I'm sorry I kinda lost it there in the end. It just came to the point where he was definitely repeating himself and making himself look really foolish, and it was starting to absolutely get on my last nerve. So I really just wanted to get the "Shut up, you lose" point across. Unfortunately, he, as you said, is not that type that can be reasoned with. I do normally try to be as polite as possible, but that just wasn't an option with this guy. Anyways, thank you guys so much for backing me up! I'm glad I can have you guys to fall back on when things get rocky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom