• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That's a real shame. You should get some some sleep though. And I hope who ever you're most wanted us gets in as well. This DLC train Isn't stopping no time soon. Thanks again.
Thanks for welcoming me here. Sorry, I had to deliver bad news.

9-Volt is who I want the most. He has no chance of getting in this Smash (maybe the next one :D)! Everyone else I'm just content with. I'm already pretty happy with the roster, so everyone else is just bonus.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
On a serious note, the positioning looks like a Mii Fighter costume.

If this is real (which it most likely isn't), maybe Wademan and I were right about a "Nindie" pack.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It's not the perfect comparison considering his history and status in the gaming industry (as well as how the series is properly available in Japan), but I think we should remember how Sonic's inclusion in Brawl and introduction to the Smash series was something that was up in the air for a long time. It happened in the end presumably due to fan demand, but what's a little unusual is that Sonic has never been all that popular over in Japan.

What's even more interesting is that he wasn't cut for at least one game now, especially since he's third-party. The barrier between a western franchise and the Japanese crowd might not be as meaningful as a lot of people think. Even besides that, the Shantae games are technically available in Japan, and there's supposedly a team over there working with WayForward to localize them for Nintendo's systems sometime in the future. Though I don't know whether or not that's just a rumor.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It's not the perfect comparison considering his history and status in the gaming industry, but I think we should remember how Sonic's inclusion in Brawl and introduction to the Smash series was something that was up in the air for a long time. It happened in the end presumably due to fan demand, but what's a little unusual is that Sonic has never been all that popular over in Japan.

What's even more interesting is that he wasn't cut for at least one game now, especially since he's third-party.
Exactly.

Not to mention we have a character who's game still isn't America and Europe yet, and even in Japan, it sold poorly.
:4lucas:

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Um, guys?.... I just remembered...that listing for a Shovel Knight amiibo...you don't think that has something to do with this, do you? Not to mention the 3DS actually HAS an outline removal feature in-game...
I saw that too.

But you have to remember that not even Ryu doesn't even has his Amiibo yet, let alone listed on any website. Also, his proportions seem extremely inaccurate, and look more like a Mii Costume, because of the positions and portions of the character in these screenshots.

Court Adjourned.

(If Wademan and I were right about a "Nindie" costume pack with Shantae as an actual fighter I'll go nuts)

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
The Pictochat and WarioWare stage says that, but is Jungle Japes in Brawl, or is there a proper mod for that?
Yes, Jungle Japes is in Brawl. The three stages are in both Brawl and 3D, so I honestly believe this means nothing.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Whoa I am late to this thread, but write me up as a supporter, I voted for Shantae in the ballot way back and I'm still crossing my fingers she makes it in! :D

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Like I said, that "leak" was too high rez to be legit;

Even without the lines, these models still have a notable pixelated quality to them then what that pic of shovel Knight did, it was too high rez to be on the 3DS. Plus, GAMEPLAY footage (actually video proof) or it's faked, it could have even been Photoshop'd for all we know.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight is probably the most overrated out of all the Kickstarter games, in my opinion. In most of the popular ones, I can really see why people are backing and wanting to see those games finished.

With Half-Genie Hero, I see people wanting to support a small company with the ability to make fantastic games with very little, now making a game with the budget they've always needed.

With Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained, I see people supporting a group who finally are making the game that they (and their fans) have wanted for years.

I don't want to talk about Mighty No. 9.

With Adventures of Pip, I people wanting so support a company who want to show the world what they're really capable of, as Tic-Toc games mostly does liscensed stuff, and also wanted to make fun representation of how gaming has evolved through it's gameplay mechanics.

With Shovel Knight... I don't see much. Yacht Club literally just opened their doors here. Okay, so the graphics are meant to look accurate to that of the NES. So? Take the novelty of that away, and you get a generic 8-bit indie game that's a slightly improved version of Ducktales, but only more linear and with upgrades added.

Heck, Wayforward already made an improved version of Ducktales.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If any company should deserve a rep in Smash it should be WayForward.

#Shantae4Smash

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I haven't seen anything that tells me that Spanish retail site has been a credible site (this is far from the first "leak" the site put up).

I have big doubts this is legit in any way.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If any company should deserve a rep in Smash it should be WayForward.

#Shantae4Smash
Especially with their dedication (Over 25 years...) and the quality titles that have become the most critically and financially succesful games on the Nintendo's digital services, and setting the bar for other devs for them.

In a time where big third parties ignore, look down upon, or flat out screw over Nintendo (coughUbisoftcoughEAcough), it's surprising to see this little company continue to be so dedicated to them after so many years.

They deserve some pat on the back.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Especially with their dedication (Over 25 years...) and the quality titles that have become the most critically and financially succesful games on the Nintendo's digital services, and setting the bar for other devs for them.

In a time where big third parties ignore, look down upon, or flat out screw over Nintendo (coughUbisoftcoughEAcough), it's surprising to see this little company continue to be so dedicated to them after so many years.

They deserve some pat on the back.
I really hope Nintendo sees that in Wayforward and allows them this chance

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I really hope Nintendo sees that in Wayforward and allows them this chance
All the coverage in Nintendo Power, all the representation on the eShop and DSiWare... I dunno, they probably do, and act like they don't.

Like I said, they're the ones that got all those characters in Runbow, and didn't add Shantae despite 13AM games wanting her, showing that Nintendo may have something bigger planned.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
All the coverage in Nintendo Power, all the representation on the eShop and DSiWare... I dunno, they probably do, and act like they don't.

Like I said, they're the ones that got all those characters in Runbow, and didn't add Shantae despite 13AM games wanting her, showing that Nintendo may have something bigger planned.
This looks to be a reasonable case, and I really hope that's the case, in the meantime, I'll just keep anxiously waiting here in anticipation for more news to come up

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Shovel Knight is probably the most overrated out of all the Kickstarter games, in my opinion. In most of the popular ones, I can really see why people are backing and wanting to see those games finished.

With Half-Genie Hero, I see people wanting to support a small company with the ability to make fantastic games with very little, now making a game with the budget they've always needed.

With Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained, I see people supporting a group who finally are making the game that they (and their fans) have wanted for years.

I don't want to talk about Mighty No. 9.

With Adventures of Pip, I people wanting so support a company who want to show the world what they're really capable of, as Tic-Toc games mostly does liscensed stuff, and also wanted to make fun representation of how gaming has evolved through it's gameplay mechanics.

With Shovel Knight... I don't see much. Yacht Club literally just opened their doors here. Okay, so the graphics are meant to look accurate to that of the NES. So? Take the novelty of that away, and you get a generic 8-bit indie game that's a slightly improved version of Ducktales, but only more linear and with upgrades added.

Heck, Wayforward already made an improved version of Ducktales.
Hi there.

I never planned to post anything in this Forum again but i was watching several threads since both games releases
(including this one) and i couldnt hold back on this one

You, my good sir, i literally want to find out where you live only that i can personaly say thank you, because
thats exactly how i feel about Shovel Knight (i wanted to love this game but i couldnt)

Anyway to topic. Shantae is one of my favorite characters ever and i would love to see her in Smash.
I had her on my original Newcomcer-Wishlist Long before the Ballot (but of course she got my vote).
You People already talked enough how unique she could be and all that stuff. So i dont need to.^^

(sorry for grammar errors or anything, english is not my first language. im more a reader than a writer ^^)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This looks to be a reasonable case, and I really hope that'ss the case, in the meantime, I'll just keep anxiously waiting here in anticipation for more news to come up
I always imagine Shantae with a pair of cat ears when she's in that animation...

Stalking her natural prey: Tinkerbats

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hi there.

I never planned to post anything in this Forum again but i was watching several threads since both games releases
(including this one) and i couldnt hold back on this one

You, my good sir, i literally want to find out where you live only that i can personaly say thank you, because
thats exactly how i feel about Shovel Knight (i wanted to love this game but i couldnt)

Anyway to topic. Shantae is one of my favorite characters ever and i would love to see her in Smash.
I had her on my original Newcomcer-Wishlist Long before the Ballot (but of course she got my vote).
You People already talked enough how unique she could be and all that stuff. So i dont need to.^^

(sorry for grammar errors or anything, english is not my first language. im more a reader than a writer ^^)
I feel the same way, I understand completely why Shovel Knight is so popular, and I won't deny that it is a good game, but I personally think it's a bit too overhyped, I wouldn't mind the game being represented in Smash a bit, but I think it's too early for him to be a newcomer, and if you have any ideas for what you want for Shantae in Smash, feel free to share anything you have, we're glad to see more support for her!

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I like Shovel Knight, loved his game (played like butter, easily one of the best of 2014), but yeah he's pretty overrated.

It's mostly because, excuse the pun, he kind of "kicked off" kickstarter games.

But what he lacks, what he really, REALLY lacks is a character to himself. Shovel Knight the game is fun, imaginative, and filled with personality. Shovel Knight not so much. Mega Man's practically a Spanish TV Opera star in comparison. I think it's his mask. That's not really a problem, but selling a character on their own in a game like Smash is a risk.

It's probably why I like Shantae so much, she is always expressing in one way or another.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I like Shovel Knight, loved his game (played like butter, easily one of the best of 2014), but yeah he's pretty overrated.

It's mostly because, excuse the pun, he kind of "kicked off" kickstarter games.

But what he lacks, what he really, REALLY lacks is a character to himself. Shovel Knight the game is fun, imaginative, and filled with personality. Shovel Knight not so much. Mega Man's practically a Spanish TV Opera star in comparison. I think it's his mask. That's not really a problem, but selling a character on their own in a game like Smash is a risk.

It's probably why I like Shantae so much, she is always expressing in one way or another.
Shantae is diverse in 3 ways:
>Female Protagonist
>Dark Skinned
>Doesn't have the personality of a block of lead (Especially compared to many characters through Nintendo's history...)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Because the internet never learns, the voice actor for Professor Layton has had his name added to the Smash Bros IMDb page, and rather than take it maturely like Christina did and try to take it down right away, as she didn't recieve any calls, Christopher Miller somewhat believes it means something.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ok, so I've been working to getting all the characters through Classic and All-Star mode and getting achievements, and it interests me how much creativity and how many references that are put into the ending screenshots as well as the other screenshots promoting the characters and ending movies, kinda makes me wonder what they'd do for Shantae, so I've thought of a few ideas myself and I'd like to see what creative ideas you guys have! (keep in mind, these are mostly tailored to my moveset and ideas, which is on page 112 for reference)

(3DS)
-In her Pirate outfit on the Bow of the S.S. Flavian with Wario, Toon Link, and Bowser Jr. behind her
-Jumping onto the right platform of the Float Islands section of the Kirby GB game stage with Wendy firing cannonballs (first boss fight of the GBC game)

(Wii U)
-in her transform in/out pose looking like she's holding up a Starman, along with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario surrounding and heading toward her (Mario Party reference)
-bellydancing with the two Zero Suit Samus in shorts in the shallow veranda of Delfino Plaza with Ganondorf standing on the edge of the veranda (the girls from Saliva Island)
-races against Lucina in her Nowi palette on the destroyed Luigi's Mansion stage (Rottytops race from the GBC game)
-with Sonic, uses her Magic Lamp Final Smash on Mewtwo against the moon of Luigi's Mansion (Sonic and the Secret Rings)
-Shantae with a Super Scope with Ike doing his down taunt and Larry firing off a Drill on Final Destination (Gurren Lagann reference)
-Flying out of the Maka Wuhu volcano with her Harpy form (GBC ending)
-Next to King Dedede about to hit Inkay with his hammer in Norfair (Squidsmith in Pirate's Curse)

(either)
-Using her crouching Hair Whip on Duck Hunt while he's doing his neutral aerial (guess the reference)
-Dancing with Peach and Villager
-Using the Pike Ball on Ike (Bolo)
-Her Blue palette appearing to turn Diddy Kong into another Shantae in her Elephant form (Aladdin reference)
-Doing her Elephant Dance next to a Fairy Bottle (I Dream of Jeannie reference)

Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to make a Game Genie reference

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Ok, so I've been working to getting all the characters through Classic and All-Star mode and getting achievements, and it interests me how much creativity and how many references that are put into the ending screenshots as well as the other screenshots promoting the characters and ending movies, kinda makes me wonder what they'd do for Shantae, so I've thought of a few ideas myself and I'd like to see what creative ideas you guys have! (keep in mind, these are mostly tailored to my moveset and ideas, which is on page 112 for reference)

(3DS)
-In her Pirate outfit on the Bow of the S.S. Flavian with Wario, Toon Link, and Bowser Jr. behind her
-Jumping onto the right platform of the Float Islands section of the Kirby GB game stage with Wendy firing cannonballs (first boss fight of the GBC game)

(Wii U)
-in her transform in/out pose looking like she's holding up a Starman, along with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario surrounding and heading toward her (Mario Party reference)
-bellydancing with the two Zero Suit Samus in shorts in the shallow veranda of Delfino Plaza with Ganondorf standing on the edge of the veranda (the girls from Saliva Island)
-races against Lucina in her Nowi palette on the destroyed Luigi's Mansion stage (Rottytops race from the GBC game)
-with Sonic, uses her Magic Lamp Final Smash on Mewtwo against the moon of Luigi's Mansion (Sonic and the Secret Rings)
-Shantae with a Super Scope with Ike doing his down taunt and Iggy firing off a Drill on Final Destination (Gurren Lagann reference)
-Flying out of the Maka Wuhu volcano with her Harpy form (GBC ending)
-Next to King Dedede about to hit Inkay with his hammer in Norfair (Squidsmith in Pirate's Curse)

(either)
-Using her crouching Hair Whip on Duck Hunt while he's doing his neutral aerial (guess the reference)
-Dancing with Peach and Villager
-Using the Pike Ball on Ike (Bolo)
-Her Blue palette appearing to turn Diddy Kong into another Shantae in her Elephant form (Aladdin reference)
-Doing her Elephant Dance next to a Fairy Bottle (I Dream of Jeannie reference)

Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to make a Game Genie reference
I like these ideas!

Especially the ike/bolo one mainly because of the Amiibo joke Wayforward did a while ago

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Whoa I am late to this thread, but write me up as a supporter, I voted for Shantae in the ballot way back and I'm still crossing my fingers she makes it in! :D
:starman:Welcome to the Group!:starman::colorful:
And added to the new supporters list.
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters. Sorry for keep mentioning you.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge
DiagonalSpy07
B.H. and DD
NintendoPowaa
Dani l
Wademan94
Lord Sturm
TheRickyWill
Quarium
GP2
BoltDragon
SpiritofSpeed
RosaPeach
TheTaoDragon
DoctorSanity
Shadow Novus

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Even though I want Shantae more, I hope Black Mage gets high in the ballot before it ends. I really want him in...

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Like I state in the article, it's only Japanese votes and I'm counting it manually. I haven't seen that many mentions of Shantae besides her appearing in Western poll data that's been translated into Japanese. I haven't really seen any support for her outright. I wouldn't except her to appear in the top 30 in the final results unless her support miraculously shoots up.

Shantae doesn't have a Japanese Wikipedia page, and is relatively unknown in Japan. I'm aware that Ko Takeuchi recently drew her, and Masuda is a fan. Her games haven't been localized yet, so she's still rather obscure. Not trying to hurt your guys' feelings or anything, just reporting back on what I've seen.
I am really curious about Japanese reactions to Western votes. I enjoyed the article you wrote about this back in April when the ballot had just come out. Do you have a sense of what they think of Western taste in ballot characters, now that things have had some time to develop?

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I had an awesome dream last night where Shantae ,Krystal, Impa and Dixie got confirmed as a part of a "Ladies" DLC pack which came with mostly female Mii costumes including a Chun-Li costume for Brawler, a Roll costume for Swordfighter, and a Risky costume for Gunner, Sequin Town as a new stage, Venom and Kongo Jungle from Melee returning as retro stages

It was awesome I hope we hear some good news soon

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I had an awesome dream last night where Shantae ,Krystal, Impa and Dixie got confirmed as a part of a "Ladies" DLC pack which came with mostly female Mii costumes including a Chun-Li costume for Brawler, a Roll costume for Swordfighter, and a Risky costume for Gunner, Sequin Town as a new stage, Venom and Kongo Jungle from Melee returning as retro stages

>Roll costume

SIGN ME UP

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

That would be pretty cool, and certainly something I would buy, only thing I'd say is that I think Risky and Roll should switch costume type

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Which Roll? Classic, Mega Man 8, Battle Network or Legends?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
With all the fan-made relationships between characters in Smash Bros, I can imagine people making a mother/daughter relationship between Shantae and Samus if Shantae gets in, meant to symbolize that Shantae is the next generation of games like Metroid.

Top Bottom