• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's correct. You can unlock them all without having their amiibo, and some characters here don't have an amiibo but can be unlocked anyway. Having the amiibo just unlocks them from the start. The best way of going about it.
Thanks for letting me know! This game can't get here fast enough, once I get it and unlock everything, one level I'll definitely have to create would be the Burning Town level from the first Shantae game.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
D

Deleted member

Ask and you shall receive.

View attachment 69391

I almost didn't cel shaded this. That's the reason why this toke longer than it would have. That and I'm a slowpoke.
Ooooh, that's some good shading there too!

I'm probably one of a few here who wouldn't actually mind if Miku happened as a result of the ballot, but that's really just because I want more female characters in.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That is some really great work! It really is.
As a huge vocaloid fan, I just wanted to mention this is the best thing ever :bluejump: Vee would probably love to see it too.
Ooooh, that's some good shading there too!

I'm probably one of a few here who wouldn't actually mind if Miku happened as a result of the ballot, but that's really just because I want more female characters in.
Thank you all, I'm very glad you like it. :3

Tweeted your image to Matt Bozon.

... Gee, thank you, I...didn't expect someone to do something like that. :3 ;;;

I'm glad you liked it!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Matt Bozon's recent tweets in a nutshell:

Them: "So, are you guys teasing MSF3?"

Him: "Shantae for Smash."

You heard the man.

No Shantae in Smash = No MSF3.

Spamming the Ballot

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Shantae is amazing, talented, and a kick but character that has a good chance of getting into smash as a DLC character. I really like her as a fighter, and I will post back here more often when the time permits.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Go team shantae! With enough support, Mr. sakurai is sure to add you! As long as my top 5 characters get into Super Smash bros as DLC, I'll be happy. Not to ruin the list here, but here is a list that I would also like to see happen as well.
:Shantae
:Dragonite
:solid Snake
:Issac
:blaziken

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Go team shantae! With enough support, Mr. sakurai is sure to add you! As long as my top 5 characters get into Super Smash bros as DLC, I'll be happy. Not to ruin the list here, but here is a list that I would also like to see happen as well.
I'm hoping she gets in to. My top 5 I don't think have any type of chance tho sadly

Shantae
Bayonetta
Daisy (with her dress not sports outfit)
A cool female from fire emblem that doesn't use a sword.
I would love king boo or bomberman as well.
And I know there is no way in hell but tharja and morrigan aensland would be amazing lol

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>Dragonite

SAKURAI GO AND ADD A DRAGONITE

THAT'S RIGHT

THE OD OF THE OG

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
@ Mikegamer0608 Mikegamer0608 I don't know if you can but I made a small fix to my drawing that I noticed I made a mistake, so if you could replace the old drawing you posted on Twitter with the edited one, thank you in advance.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I hate to bring this up, but I came across someone who hates Pirate Curse's interpretation of Shantae, claiming she's badly written and that they've made her look stupid, ignorant, and immature, one of his biggest complaints is how she's willing to work along with Risky no problem, he feels the game ruined Shantae's character, and I kinda wanna here your guys' thoughts on this, on Shantae's character in Pirate's Curse

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I hate to bring this up, but I came across someone who hates Pirate Curse's interpretation of Shantae, claiming she's badly written and that they've made her look stupid, ignorant, and immature, one of his biggest complaints is how she's willing to work along with Risky no problem, he feels the game ruined Shantae's character, and I kinda wanna here your guys' thoughts on this, on Shantae's character in Pirate's Curse
Whiny "PC" trash.

>Shantae's a teenager, most likely 15-16. I'm nearly 18 and I'm still somewhat immature.

>How is she stupid? The petrify spell? That was an accident.

>Risky was the only way Shantae was going to make it anywhere. Shantae doesn't have a good way to make it to any of the islands, considering how she can't transform anymore. She had to work with Risky, and not to mention that it has been shown on several occasions that Shantae willing to get along with her enemies, as shown with the confrontations with Squid Baron and freeing Risky when Shantae confronted the Pirate Master.

Last edited:

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Well I can't say anything about Shantae in Pirate's Curse because I haven't played it yet. I did finish Risky's Revenge yesterday and I'm a little disappointed by how short it was, but it was still very enjoyable nonetheless. And a question about Pirate's Curse, is it longer than Risky's Revenge and are there more dungeons and bigger boss fights? (I guess the Metroidvania Catslevania games have spoiled me a little on big boss fights :lol:)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well I can't say anything about Shantae in Pirate's Curse because I haven't played it yet. I did finish Risky's Revenge yesterday and I'm a little disappointed by how short it was, but it was still very enjoyable nonetheless. And a question about Pirate's Curse, is it longer than Risky's Revenge and are there more dungeons and bigger boss fights? (I guess the Metroidvania Catslevania games have spoiled me a little on big boss fights :lol:)
Yes, yes, and yes.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So this person doesn't know that Shantae pretty much didn't have a choice considering her knowledge on the Pirate Master, not to mention Shantae lost her powers for about the near ENTIRETY of the game. Yeah, you can't really blame Shantae on this one.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yes Pirate's Curse has a lot more of all that, it is much longer to complete, and has bigger dungeons and boss fights, you'll definitely enjoy it if you liked Risky's Revenge

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So this person doesn't know that Shantae pretty much didn't have a choice considering her knowledge on the Pirate Master, not to mention Shantae lost her powers for about the near ENTIRETY of the game. Yeah, you can't really blame Shantae on this one.
Shantae's personality, to me, is a girl who is still fun, friendly, and very sassy, but is absolutely devestating if she's crossed. Yet, she still tries to find good in every person, and is willing to help anyone, even her rivals.

She's young.

Also, Shantae rarely talked in the GBC original and Risky's Revenge. Hence why her personality didn't really show. In Pirate's Curse, she's pretty text-heavy, and really shows her character more.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Whiny "PC" trash.

>Shantae's a teenager, most likely 15-16. I'm nearly 18 and I'm still somewhat immature.

>How is she stupid? The petrify spell? That was an accident.

>Risky was the only way Shantae was going to make it anywhere. Shantae doesn't have a good way to make it to any of the islands, considering how she can't transform anymore. She had to work with Risky, and not to mention that it has been shown on several occasions that Shantae willing to get along with her enemies, as shown with the confrontations with Squid Baron and freeing Risky when Shantae confronted the Pirate Master.
This guy looked to be a big fan of Wayforward originally and enjoyed how she was portrayed in Risky's Revenge, look, here's his full statements:

"In Risky's Revenge, Shantae was a fairly relatable female heroine who knew what to do and didn't mess around. But, in this game, they made her moe and ignorant. Why did they do this? Was it just so Shantae could work with Risky and have no problems?! That's ludicrous! You can't do that! That and they made Shantae stupid and immature! They ruined her! They really did! What the heck WayForward?!"
"Everything is out of balance now. This isn't the real Shantae, it's an awful interpretation! And now it's canon, and even if they did change her back to her original personality, it would still look jarring that she was actually willing to help Risky Boots."
"You have no idea how mad this makes me! THEY MESSED UP! BADLY!!! This is unacceptable! This whole game should not have happened or at the very least they stay true to the previous game because the developers clearly didn't care about their source material! And don't give me any of that "it's played for laughs" garbage! That's not an excuse! It doesn't make a difference whether it's funny or not! Comedy is no excuse for bad writing! This needs to be redone!"

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This guy looked to be a big fan of Wayforward originally and enjoyed how she was portrayed in Risky's Revenge, look, here's his full statements:

"In Risky's Revenge, Shantae was a fairly relatable female heroine who knew what to do and didn't mess around. But, in this game, they made her moe and ignorant. Why did they do this? Was it just so Shantae could work with Risky and have no problems?! That's ludicrous! You can't do that! That and they made Shantae stupid and immature! They ruined her! They really did! What the heck WayForward?!"
"Everything is out of balance now. This isn't the real Shantae, it's an awful interpretation! And now it's canon, and even if they did change her back to her original personality, it would still look jarring that she was actually willing to help Risky Boots."
"You have no idea how mad this makes me! THEY MESSED UP! BADLY!!! This is unacceptable! This whole game should not have happened or at the very least they stay true to the previous game because the developers clearly didn't care about their source material! And don't give me any of that "it's played for laughs" garbage! That's not an excuse! It doesn't make a difference whether it's funny or not! Comedy is no excuse for bad writing! This needs to be redone!"
An actual description that doesn't look painfully childish would be nice.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Shantae's personality, to me, is a girl who is still fun, friendly, and very sassy, but is absolutely devestating if she's crossed. Yet, she still tries to find good in every person, and is willing to help anyone, even her rivals.

She's young.

Also, Shantae rarely talked in the GBC original and Risky's Revenge. Hence why her personality didn't really show. In Pirate's Curse, she's pretty text-heavy, and really shows her character more.
Oh, no. I get understand, and that's what I enjoy about Shantae. What I meant is...Well, actually, I was trying to agree with everything YOU said. You can't blame Shantae in that game. I definitely don't think she's stupid, and her character to me in that game actually seems even more developed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
"Oh no, a female character has flaws! RUNIED FOREVER!"

That's how I read it.

And before anyone brings up Other M, Samus's personality was at odds with what was established to non-manga readers and to Manga readers, especially those that considered the Prime games canon, it came off as being in the wrong place. If it was a Metroid remake then maybe. It wasn't Samus showing weakness that got me mad, it was how it didn't work with the story or gameplay.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
There is almost always a period in life that, sometimes, you're stuck working with your enemy, such as being in a group project with the local bully as your partner.

Same goes for Video Games characters.

Sonic the Hedgehog has helped Dr. Eggman on several occasions, mainly because that was their only choice, but that doesn't fully mean that they're on good terms. By Half-Genie Hero, Shantae and Risky will be duking it out once more.

"Oh no, a female character has flaws! RUNIED FOREVER!"

That's how I read it.

And before anyone brings up Other M, Samus's personality was at odds with what was established to non-manga readers and to Manga readers, especially those that considered the Prime games canon, it came off as being in the wrong place. If it was a Metroid remake then maybe. It wasn't Samus showing weakness that got me mad, it was how it didn't work with the story or gameplay.
"You using the suit that will defend you will be a danger to everyone else"

BUT NOBODY'S WITH ME.

The Galactic Federation is literally made up of chimpanzees. No wonder the suits in Federation Force are so small.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
OFF TOPIC: I can't believe Pokken Tournament is coming for the WII U next Spring. Oh well at least that will be a Tekken type game I actually bought lol.

ON TOPIC: Shantae's character in Pirate's Curse was spot on to the situation she was facing. She literally became 100% human and has to fight like a human. She couldn't go wherever she liked now that is why she joined Risky Boots.

This is why people need to remember the situation first and how someone in that situation would react to it. So remember to always read the atmosphere.

#SHANTAE4SMASH

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
While I do feel that, in some places, the comic relief of Pirate's Curse may have been a little overdone as well as the game having a few cheesy moments, I don't get what this guy's talking about. About the only difference in Shantae's personality between it and Risky's Revenge is that she was drawn with multiple expressions rather than the two drawings she had for dialogue in RR, and there being more dialogue in general. I will say that I didn't care for Pirate's Curse being a whole game about Shantae losing her magic (minus her hair if that counts, they've been vague over whether that's magic or not), but I understood what the writers were trying to do with it in terms of tying the events of RR, PC, and Half-Genie Hero together.

as shown with the confrontations with Squid Baron and freeing Risky when Shantae confronted the Pirate Master.
For the record, the Squid Baron now seems like less of an enemy and more of a self-aware video game boss. Though even before that, he was there to actually help Shantae in the last few events of Risky's Revenge.

especially those that considered the Prime games canon
The Metroid Prime trilogy should still be canon. To my knowledge, the only thing that happened is that Sakamoto said on one occasion that they merely weren't "his vision" of the games. I don't think he ever said "yeah, this never happened".

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
While I do feel that, in some places, the comic relief of Pirate's Curse may have been a little overdone as well as the game having a few cheesy moments, I don't get what this guy's talking about. About the only difference in Shantae's personality between it and Risky's Revenge is that she was drawn with multiple expressions rather than the two drawings she had for dialogue in RR, and there being more dialogue in general. I will say that I didn't care for Pirate's Curse being a whole game about Shantae losing her magic (minus her hair if that counts, they've been vague over whether that's magic or not), but I understood what the writers were trying to do with it in terms of tying the events of RR, PC, and Half-Genie Hero together.

For the record, the Squid Baron now seems like less of an enemy and more of a self-aware video game boss. Though even before that, he was there to actually help Shantae in the last few events of Risky's Revenge.

The Metroid Prime trilogy should still be canon. To my knowledge, the only thing that happened is that Sakamoto said on one occasion that they merely weren't "his vision" of the games. I don't think he ever said "yeah, this never happened".
I think Shantae's hair is natural.

In the lore covered in the GBC original, Half-Genie children are always girls, and that's all that's really all that's covered.

What I'm more concerned about is how Shantae is able to put her hair in a ponytail by herself. :p

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, it doesn't even sound like he's serious. Regardless, there are a lot of people online that just aren't worth trying to argue with at all.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I agree with everything said here, I'm wondering if I should try and have a debate with this guy about this or just leave him alone?
There's no use arguing with people like that, so no.

If anything, stay far away.

I believe this is the 2nd time you pulled this out and I'm still laughing XD
The art of the Spongebob reaction will never die.

Until people forget the first few seasons.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Sigh... I wish we had something Smash wise to talk about. I'm starting to feel as though speculation is just getting dry, and that we may not get any news for a while. I really do hope we get something to talk about soon, be it from a rumor or something that Sakurai said.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Sigh... I wish we had something Smash wise to talk about. I'm starting to feel as though speculation is just getting dry, and that we may not get any news for a while. I really do hope we get something to talk about soon, be it from a rumor or something that Sakurai said.

Or Matt Bozon's shenanigans.

His twitter posts have made him my favorite person in the gaming industry.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You guys are right, probably wouldn't do any good anyway

Same here, I wish there was something Smash related we could talk about, ever since my own thread I tried to start went dry a while ago, and no one on any other thread replied to me yet, this is the only place I've been able to talk to anyone

Or Matt Bozon's shenanigans.

His twitter posts have made him my favorite person in the gaming industry.
Matt's pretty awesome, I would love to work with him one day

Last edited:
Top Bottom